Searching for Tomato Bisque

Author
LuncheoNette
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
2007/04/08 13:05:46 (permalink)

Searching for Tomato Bisque

D&S Brasserie in Lancaster, Pa makes the most scrumptious Tomato Bisqu, filled with mushrooms and a nice toasted cheesy topping. I use to have the recipe, they gave it out if you asked for it when visiting and it was once posted in Bon Appetite magazine. My mother lives about 11 miles from there and has given me excuse after excuse for last several years why she hasnt gone in to get it yet. I wonder does anyone here have a copy of it? I was asked what I wanted for my birthday and I said " THAT DAMN RECIPE MOM" to no avail, urggh. Help anyone?

9 Replies Related Threads

V960
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Searching for Tomato Bisque 2007/04/11 10:35:04 (permalink)
    Take my hand my child. Call 717 299 1694 and ASK FOR THE RECIPE.
    PlumpTomato
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Searching for Tomato Bisque 2007/06/19 18:21:33 (permalink)
    I guess you've had to have had this soup to understand the desperation, lol. We celebrated my 50th Birthday last night...and I chose D&S just for this soup. Happy Belated Birthday!

Here's the recipe they gave me:
    The Brasserie's (famous) Tomato Bisque with Croutons and Cheese
    8 servings
    16 1/2 inch thick french bread baguette slices
    olive oil
    1/4 cup plus 2 TB unsalted butter
    2 large tomatoes, chopped
    1 carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 garlic clove, crushed
    1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes with puree
    ¾ cup tomato juice
    3 TB tomato paste
    2 TB golden brown sugar
    ¼ tsp white pepper
    ½ lb mushrooms, sliced
    ½ TB chopped fresh parsley
    ½ tsp chopped fresh oregano
    ½ tsp chopped fresh basil
    ½ tsp chopped fresh thyme
    1 cup whipping cream
    2 cups chicken stock, or canned lo-salt broth
    4 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
    8 thin slices of Provolone cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Place bread slices on heavy large cookie sheet. Brush both sides of bread with oil. Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Cool.

Melt 2 TB butter in heavy large saucepan over low heat. Add half of chopped tomatoes, carrot, celery and half of chopped onion and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and sauté 2 minutes. Mix in crushed tomatoes, tomato juice, tomato paste, sugar and pepper. Cover and cook over low heat 1 ½ hours, stirring occasionally.

Cool tomato mixture slightly. Puree in batches in blender. Set puree aside. Melt remaining ¼ cup butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add remaining chopped tomatoes, remaining onion, mushrooms, parsley, oregano, basil and thyme and sauté until vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes. Mix in tomato puree and cream. Soup will be very thick. Add enough stock to thin to desired consistency. Cook until heated through, stirring frequently. Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate soup. Store croutons in plastic bag at room temperature. Re-warm soup.

Preheat broiler. Ladle soup in 1 ½ cup oven proof soup crocks. Top each with two croutons. Top with mozzarella and provolone cheese. Broil until soup bubbles and cheese melts, watching carefully, about 1 minute. Serve hot.

And this…added by the Brasserie on the bottom of the recipe:
    “Best of luck, and as always, if you can’t make it WE CAN!!
    Bon Appetite!”
    LuncheoNette
    Junior Burger
    RE: Searching for Tomato Bisque 2007/06/19 18:50:26 (permalink)
    My lord that is the nicest thing. I am in heaven. I cant believe it. Thank you thank you thank you from the bottom of my heart. I cant wait to go get the ingredients and start this. You are a wonderfully good person. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!
    LuncheoNette
    Junior Burger
    RE: Searching for Tomato Bisque 2007/07/04 17:16:28 (permalink)
    Oh lord this soup was so easy and delish. I ate nearly the whole thing for a week. I found myself sneaking into the kitchen late at night, taking spoonfuls cold and eating it. I will be making this regularly.

I should state I did call DS and give them my address and I also mailed them a postcard from FLorida begging for a copy all too no avail.
    Pirate Paul
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Searching for Tomato Bisque 2009/07/30 12:27:48 (permalink)
    I'm not sure I know the difference between "bisque" and "cream of."
    But my favorite canned commercial soup of the tomato family is an unexplainably hard-to-find one.  I found only one place that offers it retail: Peapod.com in Houston, but that wasn't recently.  I've never been able to get a grocer to order it.
    The soup is Progresso "Distinctive Recipes" Creamy Tomato Garlic.
    SeamusD
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1023
    RE: Searching for Tomato Bisque 2009/08/21 11:17:20 (permalink)
    That recipe does look great, I had to print it out... I've never made a bisque before.
    alwayshungry475
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Searching for Tomato Bisque 2009/09/08 13:33:22 (permalink)
    The Soup Company of San Francisco has a fantastic Tomato Bisque. But i can't wait to tr out this recipe. Tomato Bisque is my absolute favorite soup.
    LuncheoNette
    Junior Burger
    RE: Searching for Tomato Bisque 2009/09/20 19:06:20 (permalink)
    Plump Tomatoe I am making this soup again tonight. It is simmering on the stove top now. I make this a lot and have to say when ever I do cook this I think of you and how nice it was you posted this.
    I made this for my quilting group on my hosting days and they loved it. These ladies dont really love anything but complaining so I was pleased.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3146
    RE: Searching for Tomato Bisque 2009/09/20 19:17:50 (permalink)
    I am starting   to appreciate this soup very much - this past Thursday our lunchbunch had it at Troy's  Cafe in West Chester Ohio and it was scrumptious:

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1