Searching for whole Catfish in Florida or Georgia.

Author
JRobMcC
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
2009/04/11 11:31:31 (permalink)

Searching for whole Catfish in Florida or Georgia.

Does anyone know of a place where whole fried catfish is still available?  Filets are OK, but I really believe the flavor is much better from a whole fish. I'm in Orlnado, but travel around the state and in Georgia.  Thanks!

21 Replies Related Threads

seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    Re:Searching for whole Catfish in Florida or Georgia. 2009/04/11 14:42:46 (permalink)
    Yu are rght. Those little whole catfish are excellent - not to rap the filets, but I really like the whole ones.

I've never found whole catfish south of Ocala, and every time I've found a place that serves them around the Lake Kerr area the place has closed by the next year. There was a place on Fl rt 19 near Salt Springs that served them two years ago I've forgot the name, but some kind of "knocker" was part of the name.

Let us know if you find any - I'll be back looking for some next winter... 

Cheers, John 
    dholk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 107
    Re:Searching for whole Catfish in Florida or Georgia. 2009/04/11 16:29:24 (permalink)
    Crystal River seafood in Tallahassee had amazing whole catfish 15 or so years ago. I haven't been there in years, but it looks like they are still around. Hopefully that means the catfish are still really good.

Good luck.
    mrclean
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 41
    Re:Searching for whole Catfish in Florida or Georgia. 2009/04/11 16:50:39 (permalink)
    Very good and only a couple of miles off I-75 Exit 198 HighFalls Rd
    The cole slaw is fantastic also. Ask for Peggy. 

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=2403
    post edited by mrclean - 2009/04/11 16:55:11
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3751
    Re:Searching for whole Catfish in Florida or Georgia. 2009/04/11 18:32:40 (permalink)
    Love's Seafood    west of  Savannah has wonderful whole catfish.

http://www.savannahga.net/dining/lovesseafood.html
    HollyDolly
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1076
    Re:Searching for whole Catfish in Florida or Georgia. 2009/04/13 14:56:24 (permalink)
    While I live in Texas, i would imagine there must be whole catfish for sale somewhere in the South, either cooked and ready to eat at a restaurant, or for sale whole in a grocery store or fish market.

Here most of the catfish in restaurants seems to be catfish filets,or the small pieces of catfish they call catfish nuggets. But at H.E.B. Grocery Stores you can purchase the whole headless and skinless catfish.
    My dad would buy them and sometimes fry them, but most of the time we baked or broiled them.
    mimicooks
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 37
    Re:Searching for whole Catfish in Florida or Georgia. 2009/04/13 15:11:02 (permalink)
    I've mentioned this place before, and it's in Mississippi, but The Friendship House, between Aberdeen and Amory just off Coontail Road, has wonderful fried whole catfish with all the delicious sides. If anyone is in that area of the country and looking for catfish, don't miss this place.
    LJM
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re:Searching for whole Catfish in Florida or Georgia. 2009/04/13 15:24:11 (permalink)
    The Greenbrier in Madison, AL (near Huntsville) has whole fried cats. 

Here is a web link: http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=3369

I've nerver had the opportunity to eat there, but was told that the food is very good. 
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    Re:Searching for whole Catfish in Florida or Georgia. 2009/04/13 15:39:40 (permalink)
    Whitey's Fish Camp in Orange Park, FL.  There is a review on this site, just search restaurants.
    smokestack lightning
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 302
    Re:Searching for whole Catfish in Florida or Georgia. 2009/04/13 16:07:06 (permalink)
    mimicooks

I've mentioned this place before, and it's in Mississippi, but The Friendship House, between Aberdeen and Amory just off Coontail Road, has wonderful fried whole catfish with all the delicious sides. If anyone is in that area of the country and looking for catfish, don't miss this place.

While i havent been to the Frienship House ( but will try it certainly when I am in that area this summer) I can say that the very best catfish i have had has been in that area. i suspect that both get catfish from the Tombighbee River and it is special. Also in that area the Tin Lizzy in West Point is excellent for breakfast and try Anthonys in West Point for a sort of upscale take on southern food.I have also had excellent BBQ in Aberdeen and at daves in West Point.
    mimicooks
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 37
    Re:Searching for whole Catfish in Florida or Georgia. 2009/04/14 16:31:27 (permalink)
    Smokestack, where in Aberdeen did you eat BBQ? That's my hometown, and West Point isn't far away!
    Born in OKC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    Re:Searching for whole Catfish in Florida or Georgia. 2009/04/14 19:21:53 (permalink)
    I'll vouch for the restaurant at High Falls and Love's seafood which are both me4ntioned above. 

Another place is Southside Seafood which is on the south side of Atlanta a few miles east of I-75.  I believe their menu offers a choice of filet or whole and I aways pick the latter.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=southside+seafood&near=Alpharetta,+GA&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&view=text&latlng=287111120487689672
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    Re:Searching for whole Catfish in Florida or Georgia. 2009/04/14 19:47:38 (permalink)
    No true Southerner eats catfish filets.  However the fish we eat around my area mostly are not catfish.  They are too refined (the catfish) now; LOL.  Look for a place that serves fresh caught Brim or Mullet.  If they don't serve Swamp Gravy; bypass!  :)  Disclaimer:  If the establishment also serves frog legs then they are probably OK.
    Born in OKC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    Re:Searching for whole Catfish in Florida or Georgia. 2009/04/15 02:31:48 (permalink)
    Since Adjudicator has added mullet to the mix I'll comment that I think it is available at South Side seafood mentioned above and also at Rose Hill seafodd in Columbus, GA.  The latter was started by a man who used to drive a refrigerated truck filled with fish from Florida to Georgia each week and finally decided to cook and sell the food himself.

Both of these places, South Side and Rose Hill, have excellent credentials as roadfood.  If you are traveling south on I-85 it is not difficult to divert to Columbus and have a meal at Rose Hill.

Rose Hill Seafood

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=rosehill+seafood+columbus+ga&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&view=text&latlng=6020756642876070734

smokestack lightning
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 302
    Re:Searching for whole Catfish in Florida or Georgia. 2009/04/15 03:32:51 (permalink)
    mimicooks

Smokestack, where in Aberdeen did you eat BBQ? That's my hometown, and West Point isn't far away!

Hi,

Aberdeen is interesting. I apologize but cant remember the name of either BBQ I recall in Aberdeen. It has been a few years. The one that was most memorable was right on the main business street at the west end of the business district with a big smoker out front. Dining room to the side. Excellent pulled pork. Nice people. I will ask the people I was with if they remember the name.

I have explored in great detail that area and the back roads between there and West Point, making a music documentary and writing a biography of a blues singer from there.  There is even a 78 rpm recording hanging in a display in the Aberdeen library titled " Smokestack Lightnin'"!!

As you have mentioned there is good food to be had in that area especially in the backroads areas. As in Daves BBQ in West Point which I would never have found by myself.  Plan to be back in that area for the labor day weekend.

By the way, there is a great story of an old Delta blues singer being rediscovered in the 1960s by someone in California hearing a song they had recorded thirty years before about Aberdeen and taking a chance and writing a post card to that person with their name, the title blues singer and with no address except Aberdeen Mississippi. A relative of his happened to work at the Post office and forwarded the letter and he found some fame and some modest fortune at the end of his life.

Josh
    neilcody
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 51
    Re:Searching for whole Catfish in Florida or Georgia. 2009/04/19 00:47:51 (permalink)
    Porky's Landing & Marina - 120 Georgetown Landing Rd., Welaka, FL

(12mi. fr. Astor near Crescent City) has whole catfish. SO does Sherry's Kitchen and Buffet in DeLand on New York Ave.1 block east of the courthouse in the plaza...Hwy 44 . Ya gotta have her fried chiicken it is the best.

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10356
    Re:Searching for whole Catfish in Florida or Georgia. 2009/04/19 02:57:55 (permalink)
    I like Catfish, but I much prefer a Mullet!
    Sincerely,
    Billy Ray Cyrus

Seriously,
    If you get over to the Pensacola area, there's a number of places that serve whole catfish & Mullett. Joe Patti's Seafood Market sells both of them. Take a cooler home!
     I like Mullet Backs myself.
    post edited by Foodbme - 2009/04/19 03:01:09
    JRobMcC
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re:Searching for whole Catfish in Florida or Georgia. 2009/04/22 17:37:42 (permalink)
    Wow!  thanks for all the amazing advice!
    Beukeboom
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:Searching for whole Catfish in Florida or Georgia. 2009/06/08 03:43:15 (permalink)
    I grew up in Mississippi and catfish camps were all over the place back then. My favorite was a little place on the Chickasawhay River called Gappy's near Shubuta, Mississippi. Nothing but a large metal building with all sort of taxidermy inside, but GREAT fresh catfish with sweet onion slices and awesome hushpuppies. Now I live in Tallahassee and there isn't anything even remotely like that around the region. Very disappointing.
    Big Frank
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 138
    Re:Searching for whole Catfish in Florida or Georgia. 2009/06/08 06:51:14 (permalink)
    If your in the Covington, GA area try Neely's Restaurant, they serve whole fried catfish.  Be forewarned they only accept cash or local checks, no credit or debit cards. They are only open Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
    brittneal
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Searching for whole Catfish in Florida or Georgia. 2009/06/08 09:19:06 (permalink)
    Ryans offers whole catfish on the all ou can eat bar.  I believe its 2X/week.  They have a "southern night and on the Friday seaf items.
    oDey in LA
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re:Searching for whole Catfish in Florida or Georgia. 2009/06/08 14:28:52 (permalink)
    The best whole catfish to be found in FL Panhandle ( or just about anywhere else) is David's House of Catfish in Milton, FL... Best what am. Someone also mentioned Mullet, considered a trash fish most places, but around here since it comes from clean bottom water environment it is primo. The best around is Sam's Seafood across the street from Joe Patti's Seafood Market or Chet's on Navy Blvd. in PNS. A second Chet's is in Pace, FL.

Personally, while I will do an occasional  Mullet meal at Sam's, David's House of Catfish trumps all ! Filets are optional but no self respecting good ole boy or girl would do filets when whole is available. To be properly appreciated one must eat with fingers and never with a fork.....Well I guess that kinda goes without saying....
    post edited by oDey in LA - 2009/06/08 14:44:48
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1