The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Seatlle quickie: Mariners, Roadfood, and Man Vs. Food.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
Seatlle quickie: Mariners, Roadfood, and Man Vs. Food. Wed, 05/26/10 11:27 PM (permalink)
The Chips family has made at least one weekend trip to Seattle each year for the last decade. It has usually included a Mariners game, a visit to Roadfood places to eat and this year a stop at a place featured on the Man Vs. food t.v. show.
     Sam had a double-header rained out last Saturday so we made a spur of the moment decision to see a Saturday night interleague game with the San Diego Padres. The bad weather was no problem in Seattle as the stadium has a roof which is used to shield the stadium. 
       The roof does not keep you warm and Sam and i froze our tails off with the temp in the mid-40's. The game was a microcosm of the Mariners' season so far. We lost 2-1 and on three occasions , failure to get a timely hit or out with less than 2 out caused the Mariners to go scoreless. Major league baseball is always fun and the garlic fries from Kidd Valley burgers really hit the spot. The highlight for me was when the Mariner Moose asked to borrow my cane and did a brief soft-shoe routine that delighted the kids in our area. Still it was another tough loss in what has been a miserable year for the M's.
        Sunday morning we hit a couple roadfood places early in the morning. The Hi-Spot Cafe in the Madrona neighborhood had a huge cinnamon roll with loss of nuts, butter and cinnamon that fed all 3 of us. I had the Stern recommended El Pacifico Omlette filled with smoked salmon with a heavenly dill sauce drenching the. concoction. Thn pictures and descriptions by Mr. Stern are better than what i can write so I will simply say it is one of the best breakfasts I have eaten.
   We hiked the 3 blocks to Cupcake Royale, stopping for coffee and cupcake. The Salty Caramel cupcake was a delight though Trudy ate almost all of the frosting. Again Mr. Stern's review is quite accurate.
      Next stop was the waterfront. We walked thru "The Old Curiousity Shoppe", the wonderfully retro shop of shrunken heads, mummies, slot machines, two headed animals, and delightful politically incorrect sights. Lunch was at" the Crab Pot", featured on Man Vs.Food. Tnhe feast is the meal here, a conglomeration of steamed mussels, clams, corn, potatoes, sausage, and Alaska King Crab. The food is dumped directly on the table(which is covered with paper, napkins are paper towels and the portions are large). But the sausage was inedible, the potatoes woefully undercooked, and I found the crab too bland even with the butter. I also found the $25.00 price too expensive(something iIalmost never factor into my thoughts about food). Trudy and Sam both liked the experience and the waterfront is always fun  to visit.
    Seattle is always fun and it was a fun time for all.
<message edited by mr chips on Sun, 07/11/10 5:51 PM>

zataar

• Total Posts: 1440
    Re:Seatlle quickie: Mariners, Roadfood, and Man Vs. Food. Thu, 05/27/10 8:59 AM (permalink)
    That sounds like a wonderful weekend. My daughter is a big Cupcake Royale fan, Hi Spot, too.

Ahi Mpls.

• Total Posts: 922
      Re:Seatlle quickie: Mariners, Roadfood, and Man Vs. Food. Thu, 05/27/10 10:04 AM (permalink)
        I came across that omelette picture recently (during my endless Name that RF search ) And it stopped me in my tracks! I'm so glad it was as good as it looks.  Nice to see you out and about...Hope all is going well with you!   

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
        Re:Seatlle quickie: Mariners, Roadfood, and Man Vs. Food. Thu, 05/27/10 10:25 AM (permalink)
        Yeah, I'm glad you're feeling up to some daylong haunts, despite the crummy weather for baseball.  Salty caramel cupcakes would haunt my dreams!

mr chips

Re:Seatlle quickie: Mariners, Roadfood, and Man Vs. Food. Sat, 05/29/10 12:00 PM (permalink)
          Thanks for the kind words. I was tired in the middle of the day and Trudy did most of the driving back to Portland . It was good to be out and about and the food was wonderful. It is still quite a steep road back to recovery.

TFitz

• Total Posts: 63
            Re:Seatlle quickie: Mariners, Roadfood, and Man Vs. Food. Fri, 06/4/10 5:28 PM (permalink)
            We were Seattle two years ago and we went to a game in June. It rained off and on all day and we were happy to be under the Dome but I bought bleacher seats and not only was it chilly, like your experience, but the misty rain made it's way into the seats. I had never heard of garlic fries until we saw everyone eating them in the park. I guess that's a regional specialty. As bad as your Mariners are our Orioles are even worse. It's tough to watch. Despite the weather we had a lot of fun in the Pacific Northwest.

mr chips

Re:Seatlle quickie: Mariners, Roadfood, and Man Vs. Food. Fri, 06/4/10 8:48 PM (permalink)
              The O's were my team until the M's came along. So sorry about their 10 year descent. Sam and i got a little wet during our game too.
              <message edited by mr chips on Sun, 06/30/13 11:51 AM>

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1791
                Re:Seatlle quickie: Mariners, Roadfood, and Man Vs. Food. Fri, 06/4/10 11:00 PM (permalink)
                "The Crab Pot" is highly over rated.  I've been forced to eat there 8-10 times.  It's not local seafood, it's flash frozen cheap flown in stock.  The potatoes and corn are boiled to death and back again.   Some chimp with an arm like Schwarzenegger applies the commercial seasoning.  The bread is the very best that automation can provide. 

Seafood? Yes. 

Cheap? Mmmm kinda. 

Good?   Mmmm ... it's... food.

Buffalo Tarheel

• Total Posts: 492
                  Re:Seatlle quickie: Mariners, Roadfood, and Man Vs. Food. Sat, 06/5/10 6:41 PM (permalink)
                  Nice report, Mr. Chips.  Too bad about losing the baseball game and freezing in the process, but generally baseball is a lot of fun to watch in person.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com