Seattle Gyros

Author
Macdaddy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 73
2004/11/15 13:14:40 (permalink)

Seattle Gyros

Does anyone know where to get a good gyro in Seattle? And not the one in the Pike Place Market... one of the worst I have ever had!

15 Replies Related Threads

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7956
    RE: Seattle Gyros 2004/11/15 14:07:07 (permalink)
    probably about 2200 miles away in Chicago- I'm not joking!!
    Andoo
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 85
    RE: Seattle Gyros 2004/11/15 14:16:14 (permalink)
    If you're going to Chicago for a gyros, you might as well stop in Milwaukee and go to Golden Gyros on Lincoln. Do NOT order the LARGE. Excellent
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    RE: Seattle Gyros 2004/11/15 14:18:21 (permalink)
    I'll be watching this thread.

I've only had a bite or two of someone else's at Pike's and thought it was okay -- yet was never compelled to get my own.

There are a few Greek places around town -- none all that exciting either.
    DinoS
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Seattle Gyros 2004/11/15 16:04:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

Well you can knock 1500 miles off that trip if you're going to travel. We have excellent gyros in Pacific Grove, CA. at a restaurant named 'Petra'. I've eaten Greek in Chicago and Detroit and our Petra Restaurant is as good as any.

Seriously, I've never lived in any city of medium size or larger that didn't have at least one good gyros restaurant. The meat's the most important ingredient. Look for the purveyor carving the grilled meat off the cone for starters. It's kind of hard to screw-up the tzatziki sauce and fresh veggies. And decent pita bread is available everywhere. There's certainly a decent gyros to be found in Seattle someplace.

Good hunting.

Dino
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Seattle Gyros 2004/11/15 16:13:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by DinoS

quote:

There's certainly a decent gyros to be found in Seattle someplace.

Good hunting.

Dino

I lived in Seattle for 3 years. If finding a decent Gyro was anything like trying to find decent Pizza or Italian food, then I can tell you that Macdaddy is going to be flat out of luck.
    DinoS
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Seattle Gyros 2004/11/15 16:26:09 (permalink)
    quote:

I lived in Seattle for 3 years. If finding a decent Gyro was anything like trying to find decent Pizza or Italian food, then I can tell you that Macdaddy is going to be flat out of luck.

Sounds like some good business opportunities (gyro or pizza) for someone wanting to get an entry level start in the restaurant business.

Dino
    Macdaddy
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: Seattle Gyros 2004/11/15 17:49:41 (permalink)
    For some reason in Missoula MT. Where I am from, there are a lot of Greek places with very good gyros. Since I have moved here I have tried every greek place in Seattle and none of them compared to what I am used to at home.
    danimal15
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: Seattle Gyros 2004/11/16 09:37:04 (permalink)
    I've been to Seattle twice (once in 1984 and again in 2000), and on my second visit I was surprised to find that the food was generally disappointing, just as it had been in 1984. Particularly the pizza. We went to some place that said it served "Chicago style" and it was terrible. As for gyros, I agree with other posters: If it isn't carved from the spit right in front of you, don't order it. It will be packaged and tasteless, like the kind they used to serve in my college cafeteria. Even in Chicago, one can find places that serve packaged gyros - unbelievable.

On another note, I was surprised recently to find gyros on a spit at one of those tollway plazas on I-90 between Rockford and Chicago. I didn't try it, but the smell was intoxicating.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Seattle Gyros 2004/11/16 13:13:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by danimal15

I've been to Seattle twice (once in 1984 and again in 2000), and on my second visit I was surprised to find that the food was generally disappointing, just as it had been in 1984.

I don't think food in general is dissapointing in Seattle. The Seafood is outstanding, especially the Salmon. Seattle has great fish n chip shacks and you can never go wrong with the various Asian restaurants. On another note, the Microbrews and Coffee are the best in the country and I've never met a scone that I didn't like.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3763
    RE: Seattle Gyros 2004/11/16 15:38:26 (permalink)
    quote:

I don't think food in general is dissapointing in Seattle. The Seafood is outstanding, especially the Salmon. Seattle has great fish n chip shacks and you can never go wrong with the various Asian restaurants. On another note, the Microbrews and Coffee are the best in the country and I've never met a scone that I didn't like.

I am usually partial to the microbrews in Portland, OR -- just a piece down the road from SEA, but I definitely think that the pacific northwest, in general, has some of the best microbrews in the country.

Steve
    danimal15
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: Seattle Gyros 2004/11/17 14:07:27 (permalink)
    I really should amend my previous post to say that we did enjoy breakfasts at 14 Carrot Cafe immensely the last time we were in Seattle. And at the time, we had a four-month-old baby with us so we were slightly handicapped when it came to finding good places to eat. Now that our kids are older we'd like to return and try some of the seafood and microbrews other posters mentioned here.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Seattle Gyros 2004/11/17 15:02:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stevekoe

quote:

I am usually partial to the microbrews in Portland, OR -- just a piece down the road from SEA, but I definitely think that the pacific northwest, in general, has some of the best microbrews in the country.

Steve
    Seattle, perhaps, has many nice restaurants. When it comes to true roadfood, we come up short. The places the natives like for burgers, bbq, etc. are okay -- but as a group none stand up the the standard-bearers I've had the honor of visiting around the US.

Meanwhile, regrading microbrews: Mac & Jack's on tap (only available around here and only on tap is, in my opinion, the best beer you'll find anyplace.
    lamertz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 290
    RE: Seattle Gyros 2004/11/20 00:02:19 (permalink)
    Mac and Jack's is great microbrew. Seattle does indeed have excelle nt seafood and lots of Asian and Indian places. Not too many Greek--but I did have a couple of good Greek meals in Fremont -right on the main corner. Can't remember the name but you can't miss it. It's been there a long time--still family run. I hear there is a new upscale Greek place by Seattle chef Tom Douglas but the family one wold be my choice. Good luck and OPA!!!!
    comfortfoodlover
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Seattle Gyros 2004/11/23 18:49:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lamertz

Mac and Jack's is great microbrew. Seattle does indeed have excelle nt seafood and lots of Asian and Indian places. Not too many Greek--but I did have a couple of good Greek meals in Fremont -right on the main corner. Can't remember the name but you can't miss it. It's been there a long time--still family run. I hear there is a new upscale Greek place by Seattle chef Tom Douglas but the family one wold be my choice. Good luck and OPA!!!!
    The Greek place owned by Tom Douglas is called Lola. It was very good thanks to our fabulous waitress. We got the dinner for two where you get several courses. All were great until the main course -- the fish. It was soooooo blah. We told the waitress that and she promptly brought us the lamb to replace the fish. It was very good. I'd like to go again to check out the other options.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Seattle Gyros 2004/11/23 20:09:44 (permalink)
    I went by a Greek pizza and gyro place in Pioneer Square across the street and a block north of the bookstore.

I had just eaten at Salumi and didn't have the urge to give it a try. It looked like it might have been viable.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1