Seattle:King Tut and Roadfood places in Seattle

Author
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
2012/11/25 16:03:13 (permalink)

Seattle:King Tut and Roadfood places in Seattle

Last week Trudy and I drove to Seattle to see the King Tut exhibit at the Pacific Science Center and eat at a variety of Roadfood places, most of which were places reviewed in the Sterns's most excellent book  "500 Places to eat Before It"s too Late" An enjoyable weekend.
        Our day started off as so many of our Seattle trips do with a stop at Burgerville here in Portland. Burgerville is a local Portland area chain with a commitment to locally produced eggs, meat, fish,and produce. Their breakfast sandwiches feature locally produced free range eggs, sausage and tillamook cheese as well as excellent coffee. I love to start the three hour drive  north with a coffee and breakfast stop.
     The weather, as has been the case with our last few trips was awful. Very wet, misty fog, low visibility. it was an intense drive. We arrived in Seattle and our first stop was at the 500 things reviewed El Diablo expresso shop in the Queen Anne neighborhood. To reach the neighborhood you had to drive straight up a hillside from the Seattle center area. The spot is a Cuban Coffee shop with much better food than I had anticipated. The interior is filled with airy and light Carribbean colors of yellow and green  and Miro like animals and birds. The Cuban coffee with strong expresso and sugar was a treat but the veggie empanada and maple pecan pie were great fortification for the Tut exhibit to come.
     Parking was expensive and a bit hard to find and the walk through the rain a bone chilling experience. The museum had timed the entries and it was not a very long wait until we got inside the exhibit. A history of the Egyptian royal dynasties with monumental art, displays of exquisite funerary jewerly, an earring the size of a baseball, the Royal throne of Tut and his bed were among the highlights of the exhibit. Most interesting to me were exhibits of the man who supervised contraction of various royal monuments with stylized portraits from various phases of his life. it was the first exhibit I'd ever seen of art that was not about the priestly, courtier or royal classes. Lots of religious art was available as well. Exhibits were crowded but you could see everything you wanted to see very easily. The exhibition catalogue was on sale for half price because member tickets were on sale for a dirt cheap price that weekend and the museum wished to reward its members.  The art and history were stunning and well worth a visit.

15 Replies Related Threads

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5233
    Re:Seattle:King Tut and Roadfood places in Seattle 2012/11/25 17:48:24 (permalink)
    My mother-in-law is a big fan of ancient Egypt and I'm sure she'd enjoy the exhibits.

What veggies were in the empanada?
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Seattle:King Tut and Roadfood places in Seattle 2012/11/25 18:30:09 (permalink)
    Some sort of green pepper and carrots.

mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Seattle:King Tut and Roadfood places in Seattle 2012/12/01 18:47:04 (permalink)
    After finishing the King Tut exhibition Trudy and I headed for the 500 things book recommended Chandler's Crabhouse on the eastside of lake Union, a very short drive from the Pacific Science Center. We knew it was not going to be a typical Roadfood stop when there was a fairly steep six buck parking fee simply to park in the restaurant's parking lot. After we parked we walked to the restaurant and passed a yacht store. In the window wasa sign and photo for a large boat on sale for $1,700,000. Not the classic neighbor for a road food place.
          The restaurant itself was a fairly large place with a large bar and a circular dining space with an expansive view of Lake Union out the window. The staff was handsome, well dressed, and incredibly helpful It was a gray and wet day with a lot of rain but while eating we saw a tour boat from Argosy Cruise traveling down the lake and the view was quite.good. The reason for our visit was to sample the place's crab louis which received an ecstatic review in the 500 places book. It was a huge portion of lump cab meat and bay shrimp, tomatoes, olives, asparagus spears and lettuce. It was a large which trudy and I split and enjoyed immensely. Good bread and an excellent bloody mary flavored with wasabi sauce made the meal even better. Chandler' Crabhouse is expensive but the good food,excellent service and great view make it a worthwhile experience. i usuallly don' t mention price but a single serving of crab louis was $27.00 plus tax and a parking fee, things i usually do't have to worry about in portland.
            Seattle driving has always been a little scary  to me largely  because there are so many ravines and waterfront to cross and today was no exception.  We got in the wrong lane and  ended up  on a stretch of freeway where we could not exit and the bridge we had planned to use get to the other side of Lake Washington was closed. We made it to our motel in Kirkland and watched the Oregon-Stanford football game. my beloved Ducks lost their undefeated season and their shot at the national championship in an overtime game 17-14. Our only consolation was a post game dinner at  the road food reviewed Spud Fish and Chips on the Lake Washington shorefront in Kirkland.   The cod fish and chips have  great flavor and Halibut fish and chips have huge slices of fish which are filling and tasty . Roadfood icon Wandering jew brought this place to everyone's attention and it is worth the trip to the Seattle suburbs. Great food in a fish shack like atmosphere; as inexpesivesive and unswanky as Chandler's Crabhouse was the opposite. Both  places were great experiences in their own way and made for a wonderful day of dining experiences.

post edited by mr chips - 2013/06/11 22:15:55
    fionawox
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Seattle:King Tut and Roadfood places in Seattle 2012/12/04 05:52:33 (permalink)
    You must have enjoyed the food. The road food is always great to taste.

mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Seattle:King Tut and Roadfood places in Seattle 2012/12/12 00:27:04 (permalink)
    I was still in mourning when I woke up Sunday. With a decent kicker the Ducks would have played for the BCS championship. And I know coach Kelley will not be back next season

mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Seattle:King Tut and Roadfood places in Seattle 2012/12/12 00:53:18 (permalink)
    The best thing about Roadfood's website and the 500 Things to Eat book is the ability to find wonderful food in place where you would never expect to find it. One of the happiest surprises I've had on road food was Sunday's first stop.The Countryside DonutHouse located in a strip mall just off I-5  in  Mountlake Terrace, Washington, an obscure Seattle suburb. The donuts are  light, airy and flavorful. Sweet but not too filling. Not particularly photogenic but  a taste delight. You could eat 3 or 4 and not be full. A do not miss when in Seattle.

post edited by mr chips - 2013/06/30 10:51:25
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Seattle:King Tut and Roadfood places in Seattle 2012/12/13 01:45:36 (permalink)
    Our second stop of the day was Mighty O Donuts in the University district for(ulp) vegan doughnuts. Even though Michael Stern reviewed the place in the 500 things book, I was skeptical. But an apple fritter heavily laced with cinnamon and copious amounts of sweet apples convinced me of the places worthiness. French toast cake donuts were solid and satisfying and had as much heft as Countryside donuts creations had lightness. Yin and Yang, a great dynamic with both places exhibiting flavor and taste though with different textures. The coffee was of course organic, aromatic and good.There were a lot of families with kids and the kids all seemed delighted to dig in. The staff was friendly and open and the person behind the counter from was from Portland so were able to discuss Portland spots. A better place than I thought it would be.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6428
    Re:Seattle:King Tut and Roadfood places in Seattle 2012/12/13 11:27:31 (permalink)
    We had the King Tut exhibit in the Twin Cities (St. Paul) and it was well worth it. We were also fortunate to have visited the Egyptian National Museum in Cairo just before the Arab Spring. There you get to see the whole King Tut exhibit and much more. It was mind boggling. Unfortunately, they didn't allow cameras. I wish I could have captured it all because there was just too much to take in and retain in memory.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Seattle:King Tut and Roadfood places in Seattle 2012/12/16 19:01:45 (permalink)
    Our last stops of the day were a museum and  place for coffee which by fortunate coincidence were across the street from one another in Pioneer Square. Klondike National Historical Site is run by the National Park Service and has three distinct sections;Seattle, Skagway, and  Dyea where the trail that leads to the Yukon territory begins. The Klondike Gold Rush was a huge factor in Seattle' growth as a major city and a number of suppliers of the miners and a couple of stores that sold the supplies still exist (including one I walk past every time I go to a Mariners game). The park in Seattle is actually a museum with info about the gold rush, its impact on Seattle a number of exhibits on the journey and details of the gold rush. It personalizes the journey with details about 4 individuals. I choose to follow John Nordstrom. The museum is a lot of fun to visit and is larger than old location by a large margin.Informational, a lot of fun. (By the way, Mr. Nordstrom used the money he earned to set up a shoe store which his family later expanded into a clothing chain that is now quite popular). A wonderful visit.
            Across the street was the 500 things reviewed Zeitgest Coffee House.It is located in a beautiful old building and serves excellent expresso. This day on the counter was the 500 things reviewed valomilk candy which I had just ordered from the Vermont country Store. I purchased the candy and became a big fan when I ate it a couple hours later. Rich chocolate candy with lush marshmallow filling so thick it practically oozes out when you bite into the candy. It is mostly available in the Kansas City area  and it was great surprise to find it in a Seattle coffee place.
           We drove back to Portland after a wonderful weekend of unexpected good food and drink and some of the best art in the world.
    post edited by mr chips - 2013/03/17 16:46:57
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6428
    Re:Seattle:King Tut and Roadfood places in Seattle 2012/12/17 17:23:44 (permalink)
    If you ever get a chance to get up to Dawson City, Yukon it is well worth the trip. The towns buildings, boardwalk and streets (still unpaved) are well preserved from the gold rush period and museums and informational kiosks and signs are abundant. A visit to the log cabins Robert Service and Jack London lived in is fascinating.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Seattle:King Tut and Roadfood places in Seattle 2012/12/17 22:05:58 (permalink)
    That sounds great. I did visit the Skagway portion of the Klondike park in Alaska which was fascinating. and I hope some day to visit Dawson. 

post edited by mr chips - 2012/12/27 23:38:21
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10515
    Re:Seattle:King Tut and Roadfood places in Seattle 2012/12/18 14:04:56 (permalink)
    Really nice write up mr chips!  Thanks so much for taking the time.  We did the exact sam thing while we were in Seattle last year.  I amnot a coffee drinker, but Mariton sure did enjoy hers.  And to find a Valomilk is a great Roadfood bonus!
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Seattle:King Tut and Roadfood places in Seattle 2012/12/27 23:42:24 (permalink)
    BB, I wish I had brought up your trip report before going. We mistakenly thought Julia's of Wallingford had closed so we will have to make it another trip. Right now we are planning a cirque du soleil show in February or March. Hope we like Bakeman's when we finally make it.
    post edited by mr chips - 2012/12/29 01:01:43
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10515
    Re:Seattle:King Tut and Roadfood places in Seattle 2012/12/28 04:04:21 (permalink)
    mr chips-
    Bakeman's can be tough, because they are only open for lunch on weekdays.  I hope you are able to visit Julia's, too!
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Seattle:King Tut and Roadfood places in Seattle 2012/12/28 10:39:42 (permalink)
    Yeah. I have not been in Seattle when Bakeman's  was open for years.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1