The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Seattle/Seatac/Des Moines/Kent: Burger/Teriyaki Places....Any Recommended?

Navy_Brat913

• Total Posts: 179
Seattle/Seatac/Des Moines/Kent: Burger/Teriyaki Places....Any Recommended? Wed, 01/21/09 7:44 PM (permalink)
New to this area, and have seen a TON of Burger/Teriyaki places.....have seen good reviews of Herfy's in the Seatac/Des Moines area, but have neither seen nor heard of any others, including JJ's Burger & Teriyaki, which I have a coupon for.  Anyone familiar with these joints.....and or would you recommend any in particular?

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
    Re:Seattle/Seatac/Des Moines/Kent: Burger/Teriyaki Places....Any Recommended? Wed, 01/21/09 7:52 PM (permalink)
    Never heard of burger/teriyaki places... around here (middle of california) we have burger/donut/chinese food places... are what you're talking about similar?  Ours are run by asian families, focusing mainly on their cultural foods but also adding burgers and donuts..

Navy_Brat913

• Total Posts: 179
      Re:Seattle/Seatac/Des Moines/Kent: Burger/Teriyaki Places....Any Recommended? Wed, 01/21/09 8:21 PM (permalink)
      What little I've been able to gleam from these places, I have NO idea, lol!  There is next to no info on the net, and since I'm new and haven't had a chance to try any, I'm clueless.

wheregreggeats.com

Re:Seattle/Seatac/Des Moines/Kent: Burger/Teriyaki Places....Any Recommended? Thu, 01/22/09 6:35 AM (permalink)
        This place in Kent does sushi and American  ...

... not exactly a shack, but good.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7386
          • Roadfood Insider
          Re:Seattle/Seatac/Des Moines/Kent: Burger/Teriyaki Places....Any Recommended? Thu, 01/22/09 8:20 AM (permalink)
          I remember first being exposed to the Teriyaki thing in when I lived in Seattle back in the early-mid 90's. If I recall most of the fast food teryiaki joints were actually a chain called "Toshi's Teryiaki".
          here is the website for Redmond's location  
          www.redmondtoshis.com/
          If you think Seattle has alot of Teryiaki joints, you should go to Los Angeles, they put Seattle to shame with the plethora of Teriyaki joints anywhere and everywhere.  Seattle does have alot of Burger Joints. Dicks is good, after a night of drinking, but my favorite was Kid Valley.
          www.kiddvalley.net/  it's a great Fast Food burger..

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1787
            Re:Seattle/Seatac/Des Moines/Kent: Burger/Teriyaki Places....Any Recommended? Thu, 01/22/09 8:37 AM (permalink)
            As WJ said, Dick's is a local classic that is worth a try at least once.  And FatBurger, for being a chain, actually isn't bad at all.  Your entire burger is cooked and assembled right in front of you after you order, so you know it's fresh.

Having lived in Japan a number of years and married into a Japanese family, I've always been dissapointed with every teriyaki joint I've been to in Seattle, San Fran, LA.  The sauce here is just way too sweet.  It's a light flavorfull just slightly sweet sauce in Japan.  I have no idea where this soy flavored corn syrup goo came from that passes for sauce here.

wheregreggeats.com

Re:Seattle/Seatac/Des Moines/Kent: Burger/Teriyaki Places....Any Recommended? Thu, 01/22/09 8:37 AM (permalink)
              I never got the hang of Teryiaki.

Tried it a few times.

I could go for a Dick's Deluxe right now.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7386
                • Roadfood Insider
                Re:Seattle/Seatac/Des Moines/Kent: Burger/Teriyaki Places....Any Recommended? Thu, 01/22/09 8:46 AM (permalink)
                wheregreggeats.com

I never got the hang of Teryiaki.

Tried it a few times.

I could go for a Dick's Deluxe right now.

I actually miss Dick's Shakes.......I could go for one of their chocolate shake right now.
                (I don't think it would go very well with egg whites, cottage cheese and lo-carb whole wheat flax bread I had for breakfast though)

Oh and I found a website for Dick's too 

www.ddir.com/
                <message edited by wanderingjew on Thu, 01/22/09 8:50 AM>

zataar

• Total Posts: 1440
                  Re:Seattle/Seatac/Des Moines/Kent: Burger/Teriyaki Places....Any Recommended? Thu, 01/22/09 9:52 AM (permalink)
                  Red Mill in Phinney Ridge is very good. I'll agree with WJ, Kidd Valley is exceptional.

percebes

• Total Posts: 4
                    Re:Seattle/Seatac/Des Moines/Kent: Burger/Teriyaki Places....Any Recommended? Sun, 04/26/09 5:38 PM (permalink)
                    I think a lot of the teriyaki places (with or w/o burgers) around Seattle are familiy operations and are seldom reviewed.  They often include stir-fry dishes and egg rolls and gyoza and the like on their menus.  In my experience they make a decent burger but not worth driving out of your way for.  I go to one on Greenwood Ave N. & 82nd once and awhile for a cheeseburger combo but while not bad it's not as good as Red Mill or Scooter's in Ballard. 

That said I like to patronize these places because I'd hate to have my only option for fast food be a chain restaurant.  Nothing against chains but we'd be poorer without family run places.

I agree about the overly sweet teriyaki sauce at most of the places.  The original Toshi's on lower Queen Anne, long since gone, had a great sauce.  What Toshi does now is start a new teriyaki place and then sell it.  When he's still involved it's pretty good but after he leaves the new owners almost always add lots of other choices to his simple menu of only beef or chicken skewers and change his sauce to something they like which seems to be overly sweet.  

Seattle Weekly wrote about the history of teriyaki in Seattle in 2007: http://www.seattleweekly.com/2007-08-15/food/how-teriyaki-became-seattle-s-own-fast-food-phenomenon/ 

percebes

Re:Seattle/Seatac/Des Moines/Kent: Burger/Teriyaki Places....Any Recommended? Sun, 04/26/09 5:40 PM (permalink)
                      BTW, the Kidd Valley chain was sold to Ivar's a few years ago and to my taste it has gone down in quality.  I used to love it but I pass it by now.

food4u

• Total Posts: 49
                        Re:Seattle/Seatac/Des Moines/Kent: Burger/Teriyaki Places....Any Recommended? Tue, 05/5/09 3:28 AM (permalink)
                        I've eaten at many, many teriyaki joints in the Seattle area, and I can honestly say I haven't run into one that was awful. Some are better than others, of course, but they're nearly all family run so there really isn't a way to tell which ones will be the best. Herfy's is decent, but I've definitely had better at smaller, hole-in-the-wall type places.

marzsit

• Total Posts: 343
                          Re:Seattle/Seatac/Des Moines/Kent: Burger/Teriyaki Places....Any Recommended? Sun, 05/10/09 5:43 AM (permalink)
                          the present herfy's is totally different from the early one. the original herfy's was just a burger joint with their signature "create-a-burger".... basically they gave you meat on a bun, then you went down a salad bar-like line and built your burger the way you wanted it.  it was a great idea but when drive-through service became the norm, the idea died...........

the herfy's that exist now are nothing like they used to be...

percebes

Re:Seattle/Seatac/Des Moines/Kent: Burger/Teriyaki Places....Any Recommended? Fri, 05/15/09 6:01 PM (permalink)
                            You're spot on about the new Herfy's, marzsit.  The original was above average for a fast food burger place.  I think they started in Everett.  Then sometime in the 70's they were bought by a national operator - I want to say Campbell Soup but I'm not really sure.  Whoever it was tried to expand to a regional chain and, of course, the quality dropped.  The new Herfy's is very different from their heyday.  I agree that it's just OK.  The one I've been to in Edmonds replaced a really good family run burger place (Happy Burger) and isn't as good.  I'll have to try the one in Uwajimaya's food court sometime...
                            <message edited by percebes on Fri, 05/15/09 6:03 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com