Hot!~ Seattle's Best Fish & Chips

Author
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4615
2012/06/13 08:39:46 (permalink)

~ Seattle's Best Fish & Chips

I usually detest, and therefor don't post links to slide shows ... but for the sake of discussion:
http://blog.seattlepi.com...-and-chips-in-seattle/

15 Replies Related Threads

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7923
    Re:~ Seattle's Best Fish & Chips 2012/06/13 08:51:46 (permalink)
    Glad to see my favorite Spud Fish and Chips on the list.

On an aside- I was also looking at the Iconic Foods of Seattle list- Teriyaki? REALLY???!!
    I lived in Seattle for 3 years and sure there were a few Teriyaki joints scattered about- but Seattle has NOTHING on LA and Southern California- when it comes to the concentation and quantity of Teriyaki joints which seemed to be everywhere.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    Re:~ Seattle's Best Fish & Chips 2012/06/13 17:53:58 (permalink)
    I moved from Seattle about 5 years ago ... and by then there was teriyaki on every street corner ... none of the places ever looked busy ... but, by then they were onmi-present.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7923
    Re:~ Seattle's Best Fish & Chips 2012/06/13 18:01:59 (permalink)
    Gregg,
    I was back in Seattle too in 2007,  I didn't see or notice a substantial difference   from when I lived there in 92-96-however it still didn't have anything over LA.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3760
    Re:~ Seattle's Best Fish & Chips 2014/04/10 15:21:43 (permalink)
    I have been to a number of places on the list posted above (Ivar's, Spud, Lockport Cafe, Jack's Fish Spot, and Duke's), and I think I have found a place that betters them all.

Wally's Chowder House Broiler (web site) overlooks the Puget Sound in the Seattle suburb of Des Moines. I tried to search and found no one else has ever mentioned the place here, so I figured it was something worth talking about.

For my most recent trip to Seattle, I stayed near the airport (though I usually stay in downtown). Des Moines is a lot closer to the airport than it is to downtown, so I don't know that I would pass up Jack's at Pike Market to drive all the way out of town to go here, but, in my most humble opinion, this may be the best fish and chips I have ever found.

As you can see, I visited on what I could only describe as a typical Seattle day.

They have an extensive menu, and a number of daily specials. My server was quick to point out to me that the lunch portion special of halibut and chips is a bargain price, but they use frozen halibut for the special. Instead, she recommended the currently-in-season fresh halibut and chips. At $19.99 for a five-piece meal, this is not cheap, but it was worth every penny. She told me that they have the fresh halibut from spring through summer and into early fall. Outside of season, she said that the frozen halibut is very good, but when you can get the fresh, why would you get frozen.

The fries were OK - skin-on, frozen. If they used fresh-cut fries, this could have been an all-time perfect meal.

Since I was going all out gangbusters cheating on the healthy eating, I figured why not add some blackberry pie. I was expecting a slice, but what I got was this (pardon the lousy cell phone photo)...

Baked in its own ceramic dish, fresh tart blackberries are loaded into a flaky pastry crust and served with optional ice cream (not pictured, as I ordered it on the side). My usual hesitation about ordering ice cream as an add-on to pie was half right and half wrong. See, I hate when places take really good pie and top it with crappy food service-quality (or lack thereof) ice cream. This ice cream tasted good, but they didn't list its source - and, if you've ever been to the northwest, you know that they love to tell you where the napkins are sourced, so if they don't mention where they get their ice cream, odds are that it is institutional. I asked, after I ordered it. It was institutional, but I was surprised by the quality.

Overall, the meal was a total indulgence, both on the waist and on the wallet. For a very casual-looking shack, I was a little surprised to realize that I had spent $40 on lunch. Don't get me wrong - there are only a handful of times you can walk out of a place saying that something was the best you'd ever had - and, in most of the times you would do so, you'd pay far more than $40. I would absolutely say that it was worth it and would highly recommend anyone in the area to try it for themselves. On a rare cloudless Seattle day, you could also take the opportunity to sit outside and soak up rare rays.
    post edited by The Travelin Man - 2014/04/10 15:27:53
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    Re:~ Seattle's Best Fish & Chips 2014/04/10 15:27:28 (permalink)
    Oh well, I tried to post the picture of the exterior of the place - on a cloudy, rainy Seattle day, several times and it just won't post. I give up. You get the idea.

It was cloudy.

It was rainy.

It is on the waterfront.

It is a seafood shack.

Use your imagination.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13526
    Re:~ Seattle's Best Fish & Chips 2014/04/10 18:54:05 (permalink)
    It looks great to me.  Roz and I always enjoyed Ivar's.  It was very good and its proximity to the public market made it handy for us.  You gave us a new option.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    pnwchef
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2463
    Re:~ Seattle's Best Fish & Chips 2014/04/10 19:18:54 (permalink)
    I haven't been over to Seattle for awhile but, when I do I'm going to try Pike Street Fish Fry. It's on Pike b/t broadway & 10th. I think it's worth a try, looks good , fresh gut fries, nice menu..........pnwc
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    Re:~ Seattle's Best Fish & Chips 2014/04/11 08:57:07 (permalink)
    pnwchef

I haven't been over to Seattle for awhile but, when I do I'm going to try Pike Street Fish Fry. It's on Pike b/t broadway & 10th. I think it's worth a try, looks good , fresh gut fries, nice menu..........pnwc

I can't wait to try the gut fries :-)

The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    Re:~ Seattle's Best Fish & Chips 2014/04/11 12:29:17 (permalink)
    Sundancer7 and pnwchef

If I were near the Market or on Capitol Hill, I wouldn't suggest driving out to Des Moines solely for these fish and chips. However, I found their fish and chips to be better than all of the other places I mentioned above. I have not yet tried Pike Street Fish Fry, but would look forward to making a comparison someday.

Paul - the next time you are out near the Market, you should try to give Jack's a shot. They are located right next to Three Girls Bakery across the street from the actual Market.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:~ Seattle's Best Fish & Chips 2014/04/11 12:52:53 (permalink)
    Des Moines looks like a stop on our next trip to Seattle. Trudy and  I are heading to SAM to see the exhibit of Joan Miro late in life paintings. He is one of my favorite artists and Im looking forward to it.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    Re:~ Seattle's Best Fish & Chips 2014/04/11 13:04:36 (permalink)
    Meanwhile, Ivar's, Ballard closing:
    http://blog.seattlepi.com...37101=0&19731103=0

pnwchef
    Re:~ Seattle's Best Fish & Chips 2014/04/11 15:49:57 (permalink)
    wheregreggeats.com

pnwchef

I can't wait to try the gut fries :-)

I want my fish fresh GUT too!

pnwchef
    Re:~ Seattle's Best Fish & Chips 2014/04/11 16:18:31 (permalink)
    The Travelin Man

Sundancer7 and pnwchef

If I were near the Market or on Capitol Hill, I wouldn't suggest driving out to Des Moines solely for these fish and chips. However, I found their fish and chips to be better than all of the other places I mentioned above. I have not yet tried Pike Street Fish Fry, but would look forward to making a comparison someday.

Paul - the next time you are out near the Market, you should try to give Jack's a shot. They are located right next to Three Girls Bakery across the street from the actual Market.

Wally's Chowder House sounds good. The thing I like about trying Pikes fish fry is, the Pommes Frites. 
    LocavoreT
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    Flagged as Spam (2)
    Re:~ Seattle's Best Fish & Chips 2014/05/21 19:44:56 (permalink)
    If your looking for quality Seafood you must try the Oystercatcher restaurant in Coupeville on Whidbey island. They serve some of the freshest seafood around. I would suggest if you are ever on the Island to give it a try.

I had never heard of this restaurant but was lucky enough to find it when surfing this new website called Agrilicious.org it showed me great restaurants who source local. It was hard to chose but we did and decided on the Oystercatcher it was so delicious.
    marzsit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 368
    Re:~ Seattle's Best Fish & Chips 2014/07/01 07:44:28 (permalink)
    most of the fish and chip places around seattle bread or panko their fish (it's a scandanavian/asian fusion thing, along with tartar sauce....), wally's in des moines (formerly called moby doug's) does an english-style batter for their fish, and is still one of the few places that uses batter and they do it very well. there are a few other places that attempt to batter-fry fish, but they are really bad and greasy, and not worth mentioning.....

one place worth mentioning for those who aren't into fried food is the salmon cooker on elliott bay on the seattle waterfront. they offer alder smoked fish and chips (pacific cod) that are not fried in oil, and are totally awesome and unique, especially with plenty of malt vinegar :)
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1