Seeds: Sunflower, Pumpkin, etc.

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2007/06/29 12:10:01 (permalink)

Seeds: Sunflower, Pumpkin, etc.

I stopped in a convenience store in NM and was amazed by all the "snack seeds" they sold, an entire "seed" section: not only sunflower, pumpkin, etc, but many styles: "original", spicy, and my favorite: dill pickle!

Is this just a regional thing? What seeds do you like?

19 Replies Related Threads

seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Seeds: Sunflower, Pumpkin, etc. 2007/06/29 17:32:40 (permalink)
    Did you see any Blue Jays, Chickadees, Sparrows, Evening Grosbeaks, and squirrels shopping in that store?

Cheers, John
    rongmtek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: Seeds: Sunflower, Pumpkin, etc. 2007/06/30 12:17:08 (permalink)
    We eat a lot of nuts and seeds at our house (my wife was vegetarian for many years and it's a holdover), in green salads, mixed into tuna or salmon or chicken salad, over dry cereal, in oatmeal, etc. We just like 'em, and they luckily have some healthy attributes, too.
    Sunflower, sesame, pignoli, almonds, cashews, pistachios, pecans, walnuts, etc. I had not been able to find pumpkin seeds for a long time until I started going to the small shops that serve our south and central American populations, and there they were: pepitas.
    My wife prefers many of these raw; I do like the roasted and salted versions of most nuts and seeds. But I don't ever get the flavored varieties. No flavored coffee, either.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Seeds: Sunflower, Pumpkin, etc. 2007/06/30 14:41:07 (permalink)
    I like sunflower seeds a lot. One of my employees recently bought me a 12 oz. package of shelled hemp seeds (listed here):

http://www.manitobaharvest.com/cartshop/productlist.asp

They are mighty tasty, also. I usually use it to top ice cream; but fresh chilled fruit and Eagle brand condensed milk are also A #1 with me. I keep my stash in the freezer.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Seeds: Sunflower, Pumpkin, etc. 2007/06/30 14:57:05 (permalink)
    Our store have racks with decent assortments also. I like the shelled sunflower personally. Also on occasion get the pumpkin seeds, but normally they're too salty for me (homemade are the best)..
    porkbeaks
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2212
    RE: Seeds: Sunflower, Pumpkin, etc. 2007/06/30 15:04:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

I like sunflower seeds a lot. One of my employees recently bought me a 12 oz. package of shelled hemp seeds (listed here):

They are mighty tasty, also. I usually use it to top ice cream; but fresh chilled fruit and Eagle brand condensed milk are also A #1 with me. I keep my stash in the freezer.

Or you could do what others (with an appreciation of hemp) have done.....Grow your own. I think it makes a right nice ground cover, too. pb

Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1508
    RE: Seeds: Sunflower, Pumpkin, etc. 2007/06/30 15:36:42 (permalink)
    I love sunflower and pumpkin seeds.. tasty and healthy. Although I'll admit I prefer the already shelled ones...life is too short for spitting out shells! heheh
    plb
    • Total Posts : 1028
    RE: Seeds: Sunflower, Pumpkin, etc. 2007/06/30 23:52:35 (permalink)
    Asian stores carry them all, in many flavors.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Seeds: Sunflower, Pumpkin, etc. 2007/07/01 12:26:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by porkbeaks

quote:

Or you could do what others (with an appreciation of hemp) have done.....Grow your own. I think it makes a right nice ground cover, too. pb

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s142/dalvvv/hemp.jpg

Actually, I was being serious in THIS post. The sliced seeds are quite good and tasty. I am going to try the hemp butter next. I like sunflower, almond and sesame butter also. Quite a difference from regular peanut butter, et.al. I also saw the hemp ("cooking") oil on the site also, but I felt this was too good to be true...

porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2212
    RE: Seeds: Sunflower, Pumpkin, etc. 2007/07/01 12:36:57 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

Actually, I was being serious in THIS post. The sliced seeds are quite good and tasty. I am going to try the hemp butter next. I like sunflower, almond and sesame butter also. Quite a difference from regular peanut butter, et.al. I also saw the hemp ("cooking") oil on the site also, but I felt this was too good to be true...

Actually, I was being serious, too. Well, sorta. They are hemp plants shown in the photo. pb
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Seeds: Sunflower, Pumpkin, etc. 2007/07/01 12:44:12 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Actually, I was being serious, too. Well, sorta. They are hemp plants shown in the photo. pb

Hemp Is For Ropes

(NEW DEA publication)...

Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Seeds: Sunflower, Pumpkin, etc. 2007/07/01 15:48:05 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    There's a fellow at work that loves sunflower seeds.
    His latest buy...sunflower seeds with nacho cheese.
    I grow sunflowers for the beauty and food for birds.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    CrouchingBruin
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Seeds: Sunflower, Pumpkin, etc. 2007/07/17 02:44:12 (permalink)
    I have a fairly recent love for sunflower seeds. Started when my youngest daughter bought a bag at a RiteAid a couple of months ago; I ended up eating most of the bag, and now I'm hooked.

It's very hard to find them in the grocery stores. When my local Whole Foods first opened, they carried them, but now they only have the hulled (shell-less) kind. Pretty much the only places I can find them are 7-Elevens and gas station convenience stores.

David seems to be the most popular brand, although their original style is too salty for me, and their flavored seeds have trans fats (even though the label says "No Trans Fats," there's a loophole in the FDA requirement that says if a serving contains less than 0.5 grams of trans fat, it can be labeled "No Trans Fats." However, if you see any hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils or fats listed in the ingredients, that's a trans fat). They do have a Reduced Sodium variety, which to me is the right amount of saltiness.

My favorites right now are the Jim Beam Jalapeno flavor and the Frito Lay BBQ flavor. Because the JB Jalapeno is a little too spicy for me, I'll take a quart-size ziploc bag & fill it with equal parts of JB Jalapeno & David Reduced Sodium to cut down on the kick.

My sunflower seed addiction has succeeded in supplanting most of my cigar smoking, especially in my car. The only negative side-effect is now my car floor tend to get littered with hulls.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Seeds: Sunflower, Pumpkin, etc. 2007/07/29 20:13:50 (permalink)
    On a layover at Salt Lake City airport yesterday I found a whole shelf of "snack seeds". The stangest was Beer Flavored. Being STL, not sure where that fits in. Maybe you can only have beer in your seeds?
    plb
    RE: Seeds: Sunflower, Pumpkin, etc. 2007/07/29 21:04:00 (permalink)
    My wife is sitting in front of the TV at this moment eating roasted and salted sunflower seeds and green tea pumpkin seeds.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Seeds: Sunflower, Pumpkin, etc. 2007/07/29 21:39:26 (permalink)
    Green tea?

What brand is it?
    plb
    RE: Seeds: Sunflower, Pumpkin, etc. 2007/07/29 21:54:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM

Green tea?

What brand is it?

Good old Fuzhou Weng Cai Ji Foods Co. LTD. (it is from a Chinese Grocery Store).
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Seeds: Sunflower, Pumpkin, etc. 2007/07/30 13:43:50 (permalink)
    I did't know they had flavored punkin seeds. I like the regular ones.

Vic, I never thought about making them homemaid, sounds good!
    Joe
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 825
    RE: Seeds: Sunflower, Pumpkin, etc. 2007/08/02 12:36:48 (permalink)
    I used to work in Newark NJ back in the 70's. Walking to work from the train I used to pass The Newark Nut Company that roasted peanuts right in the storefront. Many a day I took a pound of fresh nuts to work. I recently became aware that they are still in business doing a brisk online business selling nuts, seeds, candy, dried fruits, coffee and tea and it is still run by the same family.

I just received some fresh roasted peanuts, sunflower seeds and dark chocolate (sugar fee) covered espresso coffee beans. It's all fresh, delivered quickly and well packaged. They have my recommendation.

www.nutsonline.com
    CrouchingBruin
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Seeds: Sunflower, Pumpkin, etc. 2007/08/02 14:55:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by kozel

... I just received some fresh roasted peanuts, sunflower seeds and dark chocolate (sugar fee) covered espresso coffee beans. It's all fresh, delivered quickly and well packaged. They have my recommendation.

www.nutsonline.com
    Awesome, thanks! I've been looking for a place that had good roasted unsalted sunflower seeds. I just place my first order.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1