Hot!Seeking Authentic Detroit Coney Sauce Recipe

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
GeniesChili
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Seeking Authentic Detroit Coney Sauce Recipe 2012/11/01 21:21:18 (permalink)
In case you are still searching for that authentic Detroit style Coney Island Chili sauce, my family ran a place called Genie's Wienies in Hamtramck, MI for 56 years.  They developed their own secret chili recipe (of course) and it was very popular.  We now sell it as a mix on our web store at  
I hope this helps.

Last I heard, there were over 200 Coney Island hot dog places in my home town of Detroit, and there are at least two companies that sell pre-mixed coney sauce (just add water) to those places that choose not to make their own. Yet, I cannot find, on the Net, a single recipe for the authentic Detroit Coney Sauce. With so many Coney Island places, how can the recipe be such a well-kept secret? I mean, even the Mafia had its stoolies and they had to worry about being killed for talking. (Or does the "Coney Island Mafia" (La Coney Nostra?) have a death penalty, too?

Does anyone have the recipe for the authentic Detroit Coney Island sauce, which, according to the ingredient label on the premix from Koegel Meat Company, includes Beef hearts, beef suet, cracker meal, garlic powder, onion powder and "spices" (which, I assume is actually a combination of two or more spices and is the "secret" no one wants to reveal). Note that there is no tomato paste, sauce, juice, etc. listed in the ingredients. I'm talking about the real thing -- American Coney Island, Lafayette Coney Island. Help!

Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
Re:Seeking Authentic Detroit Coney Sauce Recipe 2012/11/02 07:17:03 (permalink)
GeniesChili

In case you are still searching for that authentic Detroit style Coney Island Chili sauce, my family ran a place called Genie's Wienies in Hamtramck, MI for 56 years.  They developed their own secret chili recipe (of course) and it was very popular.  We now sell it as a mix on our web store at  
I hope this helps.

Last I heard, there were over 200 Coney Island hot dog places in my home town of Detroit, and there are at least two companies that sell pre-mixed coney sauce (just add water) to those places that choose not to make their own. Yet, I cannot find, on the Net, a single recipe for the authentic Detroit Coney Sauce. With so many Coney Island places, how can the recipe be such a well-kept secret? I mean, even the Mafia had its stoolies and they had to worry about being killed for talking. (Or does the "Coney Island Mafia" (La Coney Nostra?) have a death penalty, too?

Does anyone have the recipe for the authentic Detroit Coney Island sauce, which, according to the ingredient label on the premix from Koegel Meat Company, includes Beef hearts, beef suet, cracker meal, garlic powder, onion powder and "spices" (which, I assume is actually a combination of two or more spices and is the "secret" no one wants to reveal). Note that there is no tomato paste, sauce, juice, etc. listed in the ingredients. I'm talking about the real thing -- American Coney Island, Lafayette Coney Island. Help!

Welcome Genies Chili,
Try the one I posted without the tomatoes. Its about as close as I can get....Russ
ron@humbird.org
Junior Burger
RE: Seeking Authentic Detroit Coney Sauce Recipe 2013/03/28 14:58:06 (permalink)
kiop
Hello.. I just tried Russ' recipe for Detroit Coney Sauce and made the following exceptions - I didn't use beef heart because I couldn't find it - and I cut the recipe proportionally down to use 1-lb ground beef.

Could you share YOUR recipe?
nukaCOLA
Junior Burger
RE: Seeking Authentic Detroit Coney Sauce Recipe 2013/08/09 09:28:37 (permalink)
Russ,

I have made your recipe a couple times now (scaled down to 1lb) and I am very happy with it for the most part.  However, I am struggling to get the right consistency.  When I make it, It looks more like flint chili (more meaty than saucy). how do you get the right consistency so it looks and tastes more like a Detroit sauce?

It seems like it might have something to do with how you "mash" the beef.  I have been using a spoon to break it up but that only gets things so small.

Thanks!
post edited by nukaCOLA - 2013/08/09 13:13:21
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
RE: Seeking Authentic Detroit Coney Sauce Recipe 2013/08/09 13:35:11 (permalink)
nukaCOLA

Russ,

I have made your recipe a couple times now (scaled down to 1lb) and I am very happy with it for the most part.  However, I am struggling to get the right consistency.  When I make it, It looks more like flint chili (more meaty than saucy). how do you get the right consistency so it looks and tastes more like a Detroit sauce?

It seems like it might have something to do with how you "mash" the beef.  I have been using a spoon to break it up but that only gets things so small.

Thanks!

I actually blend 1/2 the mixture in a blender after it has cooked and puree it. Then pour it back into the entire mixture. Be careful blending hot liquids. They tend to expand and launch out of the top of the blender and burn you. Leave the lid loose and take off the stopper. I also add more yellow mustard....Russ 
post edited by Russ Jackson - 2013/08/09 13:47:42
pinecitrus
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:Seeking Authentic Detroit Coney Sauce Recipe 2013/09/27 06:16:57 (permalink)
National Coney Island  lists the  ingredients  on the small and large  bricks of chili they sell at  supermarkets.. One of the  sizes didn't list  beef hearts on the label  (I thought that to be strange)  This is my recollection .. ..  Beef hearts are mandatory in a great coney chili... Detroit  Chili also  makes a good  one... How much of each ingredient to put in the  chili, is up in the air..
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1