The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Seltzer Truck

Author Message
syrupy08

  • Total Posts: 35
  • Joined: 1/31/2008
  • Location: pontiac, MI
Seltzer Truck Wed, 11/19/08 2:06 PM (permalink)
Does anyone remember a Seltzer Truck going through their neighborhood? I recall one going through Southfield MI, (a Detroit Suburb) in the mid to late 70's. It probally went the way of the milkman.
 
#1
    Michael Hoffman

    • Total Posts: 17823
    • Joined: 7/1/2000
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    RE: Seltzer Truck Wed, 11/19/08 2:15 PM (permalink)
    Sure. Growing up we had a seltzer truck stop every other week to leave a case with U-Bet chocolate Syrup and some siphon bottles of seltzer.
     
    #2
      sk bob

      • Total Posts: 1801
      • Joined: 12/29/2005
      • Location: South Daytona, FL
      RE: Seltzer Truck Thu, 11/27/08 7:43 PM (permalink)
      I could use that now. if i'm not drinking Bud, i'm drinking seltzer.
      having both home delvered would sure be a time saver.
      I could go for a chocolate soda right now.
       
      #3
        Twinwillow

        • Total Posts: 4896
        • Joined: 4/15/2006
        • Location: "Big D"
        RE: Seltzer Truck Thu, 11/27/08 9:41 PM (permalink)
        I remember when I was a little boy living in Brooklyn during the 40's, my aunt and uncle used to have seltzer, sodas and Fox's U-Bet chocolate syrup delivered to their apartment. The seltzer man had to carry that heavy wood box up 5 flight of stairs. No elevator! I also remember they used to keep the box of bottles out on the fire escape. Does anyone else remember such a thing?
         
        #4
          Phildelmar

          • Total Posts: 788
          • Joined: 3/19/2006
          • Location: Newark, DE
          RE: Seltzer Truck Sat, 11/29/08 12:21 PM (permalink)
          When I was a kid growing up in Philadelphia, some distant relatives ran a beverage company. They delivered. It was called Sheffield Beverages. Anybody remember it?
           
          #5
            CheeseWit

            • Total Posts: 1393
            • Joined: 4/10/2003
            • Location: West Chester, PA
            • Roadfood Insider
            RE: Seltzer Truck Sat, 11/29/08 12:53 PM (permalink)
            I have a nice collection of old seltzer bottles. Green, clear, and the common blue ones. My oldest is from 1910.
            We had a couple of seltzer trucks come down our back alley in Philadelphia in the 60's.
             
            #6
              Phildelmar

              • Total Posts: 788
              • Joined: 3/19/2006
              • Location: Newark, DE
              RE: Seltzer Truck Sat, 11/29/08 1:59 PM (permalink)
              My memory is that the deliveries stopped in the mid 60s
               
              #7
                the ancient mariner

                • Total Posts: 3987
                • Joined: 4/6/2004
                • Location: st petersburg, florida
                RE: Seltzer Truck Sat, 11/29/08 2:38 PM (permalink)
                Correct me if I am wrong, but my memory says that Seltzer was
                a Jewish thing. I lived in Brooklyn and then in Far Rockaway as
                a kid. Both neighborhoods were mostly Jewish and the Seltzer
                truck made deliveries only to Jewish homes. I do not remember any
                of the gentile families buying Seltzer. Am I right? Or does my
                memory deceive me ?????????????????
                 
                #8
                  Twinwillow

                  • Total Posts: 4896
                  • Joined: 4/15/2006
                  • Location: "Big D"
                  RE: Seltzer Truck Sat, 11/29/08 3:11 PM (permalink)
                  My family is Jewish. Not sure about gentiles and seltzer. But, there maybe a "kosher" element involved if only the Jewish families ordered delivery of bottles of seltzer. Anyone out there that can clarify this question?
                  Btw, I also grew up in Brooklyn and, later in Far Rockaway.
                   
                  #9
                    Phildelmar

                    • Total Posts: 788
                    • Joined: 3/19/2006
                    • Location: Newark, DE
                    RE: Seltzer Truck Sat, 11/29/08 3:33 PM (permalink)
                    BTW, am having trouble subscribing to topics today. Anyone know why?
                     
                    #10
                      mar52

                      • Total Posts: 7598
                      • Joined: 4/17/2005
                      • Location: Marina del Rey, CA
                      RE: Seltzer Truck Sat, 11/29/08 3:59 PM (permalink)
                      Friends used to have it delivered in Los Angeles in the 60's. We're also Jewish.

                      2ยข Plain

                      Me? I'd like a Phosphate.
                       
                      #11
                        SFS Fan

                        • Total Posts: 58
                        • Joined: 8/18/2000
                        • Location: Davis, CA
                        RE: Seltzer Truck Sat, 11/29/08 4:51 PM (permalink)
                        "Walter Backerman - Seltzerman"

                        www.radiodiaries.org/newyorkworks-home.html

                        First aired on "The Next Big Thing" on radio station WNYC and later on "All Things Considered" on National Public Radio in January 2002.
                         
                        #12
                          the ancient mariner

                          • Total Posts: 3987
                          • Joined: 4/6/2004
                          • Location: st petersburg, florida
                          RE: Seltzer Truck Sat, 11/29/08 5:47 PM (permalink)
                          Twinwillow I don't remember you in Brooklyn or in Far Rock----
                          so obviously you must be mistaken.

                          I left the wonderful Rockaways in 1941 and it immediately started
                          down hill. I loved the years we lived just off Beach 19th St. Those
                          were the days my friend, those were the days !!!
                           
                          #13
                            Phildelmar

                            • Total Posts: 788
                            • Joined: 3/19/2006
                            • Location: Newark, DE
                            RE: Seltzer Truck Sat, 11/29/08 6:46 PM (permalink)
                            Does anybody elsw from philadelphia remember Sheffields? They also did a great ginger ale, much better than the mainstream products
                             
                            #14
                              NYNM

                              • Total Posts: 3037
                              • Joined: 6/16/2005
                              • Location: New York, NY/Santa Fe, NM
                              RE: Seltzer Truck Mon, 12/1/08 8:42 AM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by the ancient mariner

                              Correct me if I am wrong, but my memory says that Seltzer was
                              a Jewish thing. I lived in Brooklyn and then in Far Rockaway as
                              a kid. Both neighborhoods were mostly Jewish and the Seltzer
                              truck made deliveries only to Jewish homes. I do not remember any
                              of the gentile families buying Seltzer. Am I right? Or does my
                              memory deceive me ?????????????????

                              Growing up in Bklyn I remember it too. Green bottles with clunky spigots, no? Since I am Irish Catholic + Italian + German, we did not get any, but neighbors did. In fact my first association, on seeing the thread was: yes, a Jewish favorite, as many of you note. Like traditional Chinese food. It's so funny, you can grow up in a "mixed" neighborhood and know all the kids' food from being at their house, but your own mother would never cross ethnic lines in her ow shopping and preparations!

                              Does anyone know why it is a Jewish favorite?
                               
                              #15
                                Curbside Grill

                                • Total Posts: 3916
                                • Joined: 10/11/2007
                                • Location: Lawrenceburg, TN
                                RE: Seltzer Truck Mon, 12/1/08 8:54 AM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by NYNM

                                quote:
                                Originally posted by the ancient mariner

                                Correct me if I am wrong, but my memory says that Seltzer was
                                a Jewish thing. I lived in Brooklyn and then in Far Rockaway as
                                a kid. Both neighborhoods were mostly Jewish and the Seltzer
                                truck made deliveries only to Jewish homes. I do not remember any
                                of the gentile families buying Seltzer. Am I right? Or does my
                                memory deceive me ?????????????????

                                Growing up in Bklyn I remember it too. Green bottles with clunky spigots, no? Since I am Irish Catholic + Italian + German, we did not get any, but neighbors did. In fact my first association, on seeing the thread was: yes, a Jewish favorite, as many of you note. Like traditional Chinese food. It's so funny, you can grow up in a "mixed" neighborhood and know all the kids' food from being at their house, but your own mother would never cross ethnic lines in her ow shopping and preparations!

                                Does anyone know why it is a Jewish favorite?


                                Funny, that is my recollection and heritage, Catholic+ german+ Irish +Swiss, and not in NY but seen and wondered.
                                 
                                #16
                                  mar52

                                  • Total Posts: 7598
                                  • Joined: 4/17/2005
                                  • Location: Marina del Rey, CA
                                  RE: Seltzer Truck Mon, 12/1/08 10:07 AM (permalink)
                                  If you called it Club Soda would it have the same connection?
                                   
                                  #17
                                    the ancient mariner

                                    • Total Posts: 3987
                                    • Joined: 4/6/2004
                                    • Location: st petersburg, florida
                                    RE: Seltzer Truck Mon, 12/1/08 10:27 AM (permalink)
                                    Club Soda you bought in a bottle at the store, it had names like
                                    Canada Dry and Hoffman-------Seltzer, on the other hand, was delivered
                                    in big jugs by guys with trucks and strong backs. Seltzer was often drunk
                                    plain at dinner-----maybe it preceded Evian.
                                     
                                    #18
                                      Phildelmar

                                      • Total Posts: 788
                                      • Joined: 3/19/2006
                                      • Location: Newark, DE
                                      RE: Seltzer Truck Tue, 12/2/08 9:08 PM (permalink)
                                      I believe that harry Golden wrote a book called "For 2 cents Plain", which explained the Jewish connection, but I don't recall the details.
                                       
                                      #19
                                        acer2x

                                        • Total Posts: 440
                                        • Joined: 12/30/2003
                                        • Location: Goodyear, AZ
                                        RE: Seltzer Truck Tue, 12/2/08 10:04 PM (permalink)
                                        We used to have seltzer delivered from the "seltzer man" in Northeast Philly in the 1950s and 1960s. I remember the blue bottles.There were 2 competing companies- one was Podel's and I can't remember the other.

                                        Here's a good website:

                                        www.givemeseltzer.com

                                        The National Museum of American Jewish History in Philly has some artifacts:

                                        http://www.nmajh.org/weblog/cur/index.htm

                                        http://www.uwishunu.com/2007/09/26/national-museum-of-american-jewish-history/

                                        Here's a good story:

                                        http://www.imbibemagazine.com/backissues/ghost.html
                                         
                                        #20
                                          Twinwillow

                                          • Total Posts: 4896
                                          • Joined: 4/15/2006
                                          • Location: "Big D"
                                          RE: Seltzer Truck Tue, 12/2/08 10:16 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by the ancient mariner

                                          Twinwillow I don't remember you in Brooklyn or in Far Rock----
                                          so obviously you must be mistaken.

                                          I left the wonderful Rockaways in 1941 and it immediately started
                                          down hill. I loved the years we lived just off Beach 19th St. Those
                                          were the days my friend, those were the days !!!


                                          Mariner, I lived in Far Rockaway for a short time in the mid 50's. I remember being in our apartment watching my (beloved) Brooklyn Dodgers win the world series in 1955.
                                           
                                          #21
                                            Twinwillow

                                            • Total Posts: 4896
                                            • Joined: 4/15/2006
                                            • Location: "Big D"
                                            RE: Seltzer Truck Tue, 12/2/08 10:20 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by the ancient mariner

                                            Club Soda you bought in a bottle at the store, it had names like
                                            Canada Dry and Hoffman-------Seltzer, on the other hand, was delivered
                                            in big jugs by guys with trucks and strong backs. Seltzer was often drunk
                                            plain at dinner-----maybe it preceded Evian.


                                            mariner, I think seltzer was drunk for "therapeutic" reasons. Like, allowing one to, "greps" (belch) after eating our heavy Jewish meals.
                                             
                                            #22
                                              the ancient mariner

                                              • Total Posts: 3987
                                              • Joined: 4/6/2004
                                              • Location: st petersburg, florida
                                              RE: Seltzer Truck Wed, 12/3/08 9:22 AM (permalink)
                                              TW------by 1955 I was long gone so we didn't cross paths but I went back
                                              in the 70's to visit the Old Homestead (not the great NY Restaurant) and
                                              found that the wide street in front of our house was a narrow one-car lane
                                              and the bar where the neighborhood men stopped when they could afford it was
                                              still there. Just recently I googledmapped the street and the house to show
                                              my lovely Mary. Came right down on the street where we played all those kid's
                                              games. I loved Far Rockaway back in the 30's it was a wonderful town.

                                              You might be right about the therapeutic value of burping, I never once heard
                                              of acid-reflux while living there. I guess there was a whole lot of burping going on.
                                              Viva la Seltzer !!!!!!!
                                               
                                              #23
                                                syrupy08

                                                • Total Posts: 35
                                                • Joined: 1/31/2008
                                                • Location: pontiac, MI
                                                RE: Seltzer Truck Thu, 12/4/08 4:19 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by Twinwillow

                                                I remember when I was a little boy living in Brooklyn during the 40's, my aunt and uncle used to have seltzer, sodas and Fox's U-Bet chocolate syrup delivered to their apartment. The seltzer man had to carry that heavy wood box up 5 flight of stairs. No elevator! I also remember they used to keep the box of bottles out on the fire escape. Does anyone else remember such a thing?


                                                I grew up in a subdivision that had mostly two story colonial houses, so the Seltzer Truck Man only had to do a little bit of schlepping. He came until the late 70's early 80's when the neighborhood was largely Jewish, (allthough there was a Baptist and Lutheran Church nearby.)
                                                 
                                                #24
                                                  Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

                                                  Jump to:

                                                  Current active users

                                                  There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                                                  Icon Legend and Permission

                                                  • New Messages
                                                  • No New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                  • Read Message
                                                  • Post New Thread
                                                  • Reply to message
                                                  • Post New Poll
                                                  • Submit Vote
                                                  • Post reward post
                                                  • Delete my own posts
                                                  • Delete my own threads
                                                  • Rate post

                                                  2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com