Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 70
Mosca
  • Total Posts : 2929
  • Reward points : 0
Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Mon, 02/7/05 9:32 PM
OK, I've written about this a few times. I'll try to be a little more in depth with this post.

First, and foremost, this is true ROADFOOD. You do not order this pitza and wait for it to bake and then sit down and eat it. You get it cold (room temperature) at the cash register of a gas station or convenience store, take it out to your car, start driving again, and eat it while you drive. It is not a hot, sloppy, cheesy melting pizza; it is cold, moist, soft pitza.

Here is where you can get it:

Crossing Pennsyvania on I-80 or I-81, or the NE extension of the PA Turnpike, I-476. Get off near Hazleton at any exit with a mini mart, and you will find this stuff (either Senapes or Longo's) selling as individual squares, cold, wrapped with plastic wrap. That would be, on I-80, either the White Haven (Rt 437), Mountain Top (Rt 309), or Conyngham (Rt 93) exits; on I-81 any of the 3 Hazleton exits; or on I-476, the White Haven exit (which is also the interchange with I-80).

Here is what you will see:

Here is what's inside:

What you see here are 3 edge slices and a pitza boat. On the slices, notice how the cheese is baked onto the edge of the crust too help harden it. The crust under the sauce is soft. That cheese is not a soft, mild mozzarella; it's a sharp cheese, like an aged provolone. It's a bit oily, but not greasy at all. The sauce is a little sweet but also has a salty tomato flavor. The pitza boat is almost like a pitza danish; here is what it looks like when cut:

Sometimes the upper layer of dough overlaps the sauce, on this one there's just a nice flavorful rope of sauce running down the middle. The crust on a pitza boat is soft all the way.

So, you eat these cold. It's roadfood on the run. For some reason, they don't get stale; rather they ripen and change, actually getting better (to a point) as the day goes on. These were purchased at 8AM this morning; they sat out all day, and I took the pictures (and then ate the slices) at 9PM. If you refrigerate them, they dry out in about half a day. But as they sit during the day, the oils come out of the cheese, the sauce cures a bit, the crust "stales up" a little, and the whole thing gets this wonderful aged flavor that I've never tasted anywhere else. To test and make sure that it hasn't been out too long, pick up a slice and bend it a little (parallel to the edge, the edge won't bend). If the crust is hard under the sauce, then the slice is past its prime. If it's still soft, then happy eatin'!

As I sit here typing, I can still smell the ripe cheese and sauce on my fingers. There's nothing like a slice of Senapes!

Tom

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Mon, 02/7/05 9:41 PM
Now thats a different twist on pizza.. Or should I say pitza. Sounds intresting!

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Tue, 02/8/05 12:07 AM
LOOKS roadfoodable to me! I'd give it a shot!

SouthHillbilly
  • Total Posts : 295
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Tue, 02/8/05 12:21 AM
I've been to Sanape's and Jimmy's in Hazelton (been traveling I-81 for over 30 yrs a couple times a year), but never had the Pitza. I will definitely get some this spring when I stop for pastries and hotdogs in Hazelton.

Wallyum
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Tue, 02/8/05 12:49 AM
If it means anything to you, my mouth was watering halfway through your description. I've never been over that way, but I guarantee I'll give this a try should the day ever come that I'm nearby.

sunlinekids
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Thu, 02/10/05 2:03 PM

hi,
i saw your pictures of senapes and i wanted to eat the screen. i'm from drums. boy do i miss senapes. anyone who gets a xhance DON'T pass it up. wash her down with a farmer's ice tea. if anyone out there knows how to get senapes shipped out to phoenix please contact me. sunlinekids@cox.net. enjoy a piece for me. :)

Mosca
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Wed, 02/16/05 11:16 PM
I just found out, the cheese is home-grated Romano.

Tom

HWMCMM
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Fri, 02/25/05 1:17 PM
I'm willing to bet that I ate Senape's Pitza futher from Hazleton then any other person. My parents somehow arranged to have Senapes Pitza mailed to me on a firebase in VietNam in 1970. when I opened the package (3 boxes) most of the middle box were still slightly frozen. I invited the rest of the team to my bunker for Pitz and Aussie beer.

stanpnepa
  • Total Posts : 575
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Fri, 02/25/05 3:03 PM
Mmmm...

I stop at the bakery for a box when I'm anywhere near Hazleton (two or three times a year). You can be tempted to save a buck buying "yesterday's pitza", and either way you can't go wrong.

It's very addictive stuff! Cheap and immediately gratifying!! And another reason why pizza freaks need to make at least one trip to Northeast PA in their lifetime. (See Old Forge Pizza posts on this site for more).

Fred Ferris
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Fri, 02/25/05 5:18 PM
Wow...this looks amazing..I'm especially intrigued because it's in Hazleton, a town I stumbled across a few years ago..really quaint old fashioned PA town on a hill..MUST try this next time I'm in the area...

A little off topic, but if ever there was a Roadfood type place, it's the Knotty Pine (also in Hazleton )...

Mosca
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Sat, 02/26/05 6:07 PM
Oh jeez, the Pines. I work across the street.

Tom

keef richards
  • Total Posts : 42
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Sat, 02/26/05 8:59 PM
is hazelton near wilkesbarre? there was a place called the victory pig had same style pizza but served hot.

Mosca
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Sun, 02/27/05 9:48 AM
Same area. Victory Pig is completely different and tastes different. This is baked, fresh romano sharp tasting, and made with a pizza shell. VP is sweet, mozzarella and onions tasting, and is fried in a half inch of oil rather than baked. If anything they are polar opposites, taste wise. I'll go as far as to say I don't like VP and wouldn't even consider recommending it... but others simply adore it.

HWMCMM, that's a great story!

Tom

stanpnepa
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Sun, 02/27/05 10:22 AM
Mosca, how is the Knotty Pine? It's been on my "hit list" for quite a while. The outside decor is peak Roadfood.

Victory Pig is commonly called "Polish Pizza" (not derogatory, there is a large Eastern European ancestry here). They are only open Wednesday, Friday and Saturday nights. The quality varies from amazing to just OK, you never know. It's expensive for NEPA pizza (I paid around $15 for a dozen "cuts" last year.) If you go, make sure you add a bit of salt to it...that makes a huge difference! The Pig has been around forever---and they have Curb Service! My mom remembers going as a little girl and she still orders Chocolate Milk with this pizza. There's a pharmacy across the street, buy Tums. Still, if you're curious, I'd recommend it. (Many small aircraft pilots fly into the Wyoming Valley Airport just down the road to take some home).

However, the best "Pig" style pizza IMHO is Pizza Perfect Carverton Road in Trucksville (off Rt. 309). It's ALWAYS reliable, not as greasy, open nearly every night). You can order without onions, but to me, that's what makes this pizza. If you want to totally clog up the arteries, split a dozen of wings while you're at it. They are pretty darn good. Expect to wait on weekends, especially Lenten Fridays.

Mosca
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Sun, 02/27/05 3:23 PM
The Pine is curiously average. You wouldn't think so, by looking at it both inside and outside. Best bet is the homemade ham or turkey croquettes, when they have them, those are great. Otherwise, you get frozen burger patties, canned gravy, stuff like that.

The pies and sundaes are really good, though.

Tom

HWMCMM
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Sun, 03/6/05 8:18 PM
If you are not 60 or so years old, you might not know that in the 50's "The Pines" was a great place to dance. The back room was actually at least 8" below what it is now. All the current hits, esp those played on Band Stand, (which by -the-way was in Philly)
where on the jukebox. Also another place to dance was at the YWMC on Broad St on Wednesday night. HHS class of 57.

Mosca
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Wed, 03/9/05 12:39 PM
HWMCMM,

I work with Richie Molinaro; he filled me in on a lot of that stuff.

For those not from here, Richie was in a garage band that came <this close> to making it big in the mid '60s, Ognir and the Night People. They had a pretty big regional hit, "I Found A New Love". Good beat, you can dance to it, I give it an 84... just barely not quite good enough to break national.

Tom

HWMCMM
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Wed, 03/9/05 2:18 PM
While in the service I was with a group that we formed at the service club in Ankara Turkey, called the 4-Notes. We entered a talent show sponsored by the military, placed 2nd & toured the military bases in Europe & Africa for the next 6 mo's. While in Frankford Germany, we cut a record but it remained low on the charts for about the next 3 months. So I guess you could say I had my time in the spot light. LOL

stanpnepa
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Wed, 03/9/05 4:04 PM
A little too young to remember local 60's rock, but fascinated by the prospect of a local group almost making it big, I found Ognir and the Night People online. You can hear the song here...

http://www.davetherave.com/setlists/dave-xm004-setlist-20031213.htm

Good show too! Obscure 60's stuff and a wide variety. I knew about one-third of the songs.

Mosca, is that Richie singing?? I know his speaking voice from the Fairway Chevrolet commercials, but can't tell if he's on lead---sounds like he could be!

Mosca
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Wed, 03/9/05 9:24 PM
Yep Stan, that's him!

Tom

shengah
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Sun, 04/3/05 11:13 AM
Thanks alot Tom! I was doing my best to block this pitza from my head so I could save myself 5 hrs of driving..Then you go and add the pictures..I'll be back soon

joewhy
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Fri, 06/17/05 12:35 AM
great site for the only pitza in the world,I try to get to Hazelton
every time I am coming thru Pa,anyone ever eat the hot pitz at Senaeps Bar,the toppings are amazing,if only they could figure out how to ship the stuff mmmmmm,has anyone ever shipped pitza from senaeps?Also some of the best breads from the bakery.

HWMCMM
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Thu, 06/23/05 4:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by joewhy

great site for the only pitza in the world,I try to get to Hazelton
every time I am coming thru Pa,anyone ever eat the hot pitz at Senaeps Bar,the toppings are amazing,if only they could figure out how to ship the stuff mmmmmm,has anyone ever shipped pitza from senaeps?Also some of the best breads from the bakery.

HWMCMM
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Tue, 11/8/05 3:51 PM
Sneape's is such a great Pitza that I can't stand on seeing it buried on the 2nd page. I can't wait till my 50th class reunion so I can once again enjoy it.

Zerphey
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Mon, 01/23/06 3:38 PM
SENAPE'S PITZ IS THE BEST! As a child traveling from Mansfield, PA to Philadelphia for holidays, it was a family tradition to go through Hazelton and pick up multiple boxes of "Senape's" for our "city" relatives!

Now, living in the Williamsport/Montoursville area, it's even closed to Hazelton. On a warm, sunny day, there's nothing better than to pack up the ol' MB and make a trip to "Senape's" ....

Pitza
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Thu, 03/30/06 2:35 PM
Anybody willing to ship me a couple boxes of Pitza? I had family members do this in the past but they are all gone now. I will pay you 20 bucks for your time.

Com'om help a Hazleton born kid out???
mlychock@yahoo.com

Marsyada
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Wed, 04/12/06 12:07 PM
I have already sent senapes pizza from Pa. to Wa. and it arrived there okay.The recipient thanked me over and over again and is waiting for more

halfday
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Fri, 04/14/06 1:29 PM
I was reading this post the other day and it made me crave this kind of pizza. I remembered seeing something like this for sale in the dairy department of my local Giant market. Sure enough they had this kind of pizza for sale! However it was from Longo's Bakery in Hazelton. Looked and tasted exactly like Senape's. It came in a box that contained 12 already cooked and cold pieces. My grandson and I ate all 12 pieces half cold and half hot. Not a bad deal for under $5.00. Woke up that night with heartburn but had rolaids handy.

kyde
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Sat, 04/22/06 8:52 PM
Yum yum!! and the cold stuff you buy in the convenience store or supermarket is much much better than the bar pizza!!

Janine329
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Tue, 07/18/06 12:45 PM
Growing up me and my family went to Hazleton to stay with my Grandmother and visit with family a few times a year. Our first stop as soon as we got off the exit would be to visit Senape's Bakery. As soon as we got back into the car the box would be opened immediately and we all would be enjoying this delicious pitza.
Next month I am taking my husband and daughters on vacation to Hazleton,PA. and our first stop off the exit will be Senape's Bakery.
I have not been there in years and cannot get there fast enough.
This pitza is truly one of my favorite things in life.
Can't wait to get there.
Janine from Fairfield, CT.

TJ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 4482
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Tue, 07/18/06 1:06 PM
wow....this from someone who lives within easy driving distance of (arguably) the pizza capital of the world - New Haven

big g in joisey
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Wed, 07/19/06 11:11 PM
Wow ... you learn something new everyday,I always thouhgt the pizza capital would be either in Italy or New York,yeah how's the lobster.

big g in joisey
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Wed, 07/19/06 11:14 PM
Wow ... you learn something new everyday,I always thought the pizza capital of the world would be either in Italy or New York,yeah how's the lobster.

jso1227
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Sat, 12/30/06 11:31 AM
I lived in Hazleton for the first 18 years and then some until I moved to Atlanta @ 22. So I grew up with Senape's and the Pines. My uncle was a cook at the Pines and several aunts were or still are waitresses. I had a friend who worked in Senape's bakery when I was a teen. The Senapes Tavern has the hot bar pizza that's similar but not the same as the Bakery (cold) "pitza". The bar pitza is awesome for hot "pitz", as we used to call it; and the cold pitza is awesome for cold pitz. Every time I go home, we plan a night for the tavern, and every time we leave, we go to the bakery and drive back to Ga with at least 2 boxes of the cold pitza...EASY TO EAT WHILE DRIVING, on top of being delicious. The bakery also had the best Italian Bread in the world. I wish we could find similar in Atlanta. Incidentally, the tavern and bakery were once owned by the same family, but that has changed over the years, but the pitza and other food is still the same. I have done my part in passing my love for Senape's bar and cold pitza on to my wife (of 20 yrs.), and kids.

We also do the Knotty Pines thing each time to get the specialty Ham or Pork BBQ sandwiches. The Pines also has the best homemade milkshakes. YUM. I'll be home again in Feb '07...I hope I can hold out with all this talk of my faves.

I recommend Senape's and the Pines to all passers-by for some unique experiences. I guess I could also recommend Jimmy's Hot Dogs too, but I've got to end somewhere.

bighank66
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Wed, 01/17/07 10:57 AM
Damn I miss Senapes
I used to eat that every day after work. Grab it right off the counter at the Pantry Quik and wash it down with a Farmers.
I once drove from Pittsburgh to Hazleton, just to get some Senapes. 4 hours out and 4 back.
Super stuff.

Mack184
  • Total Posts : 252
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Tue, 02/20/07 3:48 PM
I live in Hazleton..the stuff BLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!

Scorereader
  • Total Posts : 5546
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Tue, 02/27/07 12:34 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Mack184

I live in Hazleton..the stuff BLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!

The bottom pic of the slices looks exactly like the "PA" style pizza I see up and down I-81 (Scranton/WB, Frackville, Hazelton) . And I'm going to agree whole-heartedly with Mack184, it's bad pizza.

(I hate being the hater, so I will say that if you like it, by all means enjoy.)

Ort. Carlton.
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Sun, 03/4/07 11:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mosca
HWMCMM,
I work with Richie Molinaro; he filled me in on a lot of that stuff.
For those not from here, Richie was in a garage band that came <this close> to making it big in the mid '60s, Ognir and the Night People. They had a pretty big regional hit, "I Found A New Love". Good beat, you can dance to it, I give it an 84... just barely not quite good enough to break national.
Tom

Mosca,
And all this time I thought that Ognir And The Night People were from Orwigsburg in Schuylkill County!
Not Fracktured In Frackvile, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
P. S. Of course everyone realizes that "Ognir" is "Ringo" spelled sdrawkcab.

HPlatz
  • Total Posts : 103
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Thu, 08/2/07 10:30 PM
This thread is a hoot. I stumbled onto roadfood.com today after a guy I work with walked in to work this morning with 2 boxes of Senapes and put the stuff down on next to the coffee machine and I ended up eating 4 or 5 cuts of this stuff throughout the day. I agree with folks who say it's not great pizza, but I can't let it alone if it's available. It is strictly a local tradition and is in its own class. I've eaten it many times but can't say I'm a huge consumer of the stuff. It fills the hole for breakfast quite nicely and as the OP stated, it's found in a lot of gas stations and convenience stores. I would not drive from Pittsburgh to Hazleton for it, but hey, that's just me.

After signing up on this site, I looked over the pizza threads for my hometown icons, Centiole's Pizza and Marrone's pizza in Girardville, PA. The subject lines didn't seem to address these, so if somebody on here knows of any discussions of these pizzas, I'll gladly look them over. Like many great food joints in the PA Coal Region, Centiole's has weird hours and is always sold out. You literally have to order pizza days or weeks in advance. Marrone's is a bar/restaurant with fair to middlin' Italian cuisine but their pizza has a bit of a cult following. A thick, soft crust approaching Sicilian style, but not exactly so. Centiole's is a sweet sauce with a well-browned top and browned crust on the bottom. Both pizzarias are well known and well established in the region and have won many accolades. Marrone's hot sauce which accompanies their pizza on the side is a delicious condiment to the pizza.

I like this site a lot and hope to check back frequently. I'm off to look for discussion on another Girardville legendary restaurant, Tony's Lunch (which opens its doors at 8:30 PM). Coal Region business hours like the Victory Pig posts I read, are really interesting.

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4896
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Thu, 08/2/07 11:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by HPlatz

This thread is a hoot. I stumbled onto roadfood.com today after a guy I work with walked in to work this morning with 2 boxes of Senapes and put the stuff down on next to the coffee machine and I ended up eating 4 or 5 cuts of this stuff throughout the day. I agree with folks who say it's not great pizza, but I can't let it alone if it's available. It is strictly a local tradition and is in its own class. I've eaten it many times but can't say I'm a huge consumer of the stuff. It fills the hole for breakfast quite nicely and as the OP stated, it's found in a lot of gas stations and convenience stores. I would not drive from Pittsburgh to Hazleton for it, but hey, that's just me.

After signing up on this site, I looked over the pizza threads for my hometown icons, Centiole's Pizza and Marrone's pizza in Girardville, PA. The subject lines didn't seem to address these, so if somebody on here knows of any discussions of these pizzas, I'll gladly look them over. Like many great food joints in the PA Coal Region, Centiole's has weird hours and is always sold out. You literally have to order pizza days or weeks in advance. Marrone's is a bar/restaurant with fair to middlin' Italian cuisine but their pizza has a bit of a cult following. A thick, soft crust approaching Sicilian style, but not exactly so. Centiole's is a sweet sauce with a well-browned top and browned crust on the bottom. Both pizzarias are well known and well established in the region and have won many accolades. Marrone's hot sauce which accompanies their pizza on the side is a delicious condiment to the pizza.

I like this site a lot and hope to check back frequently. I'm off to look for discussion on another Girardville legendary restaurant, Tony's Lunch (which opens its doors at 8:30 PM). Coal Region business hours like the Victory Pig posts I read, are really interesting.

Welcome aboard. Interesting and well written first post. Hope we see many more.

HPlatz
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Thu, 08/2/07 11:40 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome. The person who hooked me up with the Senape's and I were getting a big kick out of this site today with the Senape's discussion. Props also to Mosca, the OP who nailed this delicacy perfectly with the photos and descriptions. Hey, many people go through PA at one time or another, so hit these local joints if you can.

Mosca
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Fri, 08/3/07 10:22 AM
Heyas, HPlatz! Thanks!

I think it's true that Senape's one of those foods that you don't crave, but when it's available you just can't resist it, either. The reason I wrote about it is that it is just so regional; I have never seen its like anywhere else. It isn't great pizza, no; although the ingredients are the same, it is just too unlike what people think of as "pizza". Maybe that's why it is "pitza". But it is good, definitely an unique taste, and worth trying. What I like is the differences among edge slices, with the cheese hardened on the rim, and the soft center slices that are laden with sauce, and the slices that are light sauce and heavy cheese. You don't search them out, but once you start eating them you can't stop.

You can find more about the places you are looking for at http://www.coalregion.com . Look under "top 10 lists", then "Pizza", "Bars", etc. Centiole's, Marrone's, Senape's, Duke's, Gutsie's; they're all in there.

Tom

hipster006
  • Total Posts : 39
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Fri, 08/3/07 10:59 AM
ognir(ringo spelled backwards) and the night people were great! richie molinaro and silk were unlistenable and a staple in the ne pa. disco circuit. by the wat-senape's is the best.

hipster006
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Fri, 08/3/07 11:00 AM
also............great pictures.

hipster006
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Fri, 08/3/07 11:09 AM
tony's lunch-home of the screamers!!!hamburgers with very hot sauce on them.buy them by the bag and a staple for late night beer drinking events.centiole's has changed considerably after the death of the owner.it is now run by his wife and daughter and most afficiandos say there is a down-ward decline in taste.i eat it rarely and can't tell.one of the original sweet pizzas of the coal-region. another area great stop is mattuccis in mount carmel pa. great family-owned place with tremendous pizzas. a shrimp one that i love and also a muffaletto pizza that i think is the only version!!! their antipasto is also a killer!

HPlatz
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Fri, 08/3/07 5:48 PM
Funny you should mention Mattucci's...the same guy who brought in the Pitz to work the other day hits Mattucci's a couple times a week and is always raving about the place. He's apparently acquainted with the ownership and claims he walks in through the kitchen and orders without benefit of a menu routinely. He claims they'll make you anything you want, whether an offered menu selection or not. I personally have not been to Mattucci's since I was a little kid in the late 60's or early 70's. Good to know it's still grinding it out as a family business.

skipsor
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Fri, 08/3/07 9:51 PM
Great thread on Marrone's Girardville PA

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14461&SearchTerms=marrone's

I agree average Italian food in a old bar/cafe opened in 1933 with a different kind of pizza and a unique hot sauce to put on top!

hipster006
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Mon, 08/6/07 9:58 AM
i was at mattuccis on sat and it was fantastic. this dining room is basicly the same as when i was there with my family as a child in the mid-1950s.same family owning it. there are 2 dining rooms and at times people do go through the kitchen moving from the bar area to another dining room. don't know about making anything you want but that would not surprize me. the menu is extensive and as the muffaletto pizza there are unique items on there as well.they have a meat and cheese appetizer that has a homemade sopeseta(spelling?) which is a home made pepperoni that is unique to this area with many local families making them with their own secret recipies.

stanpnepa
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Sat, 04/12/08 7:53 PM
Marrone's has made the new edition of Roadfood, plus my beloved Glider Diner in Scranton---about an hour up the road. Thanks Michael and Jane and congrats on the new book!!!

aleswench
  • Total Posts : 686
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Sat, 04/12/08 8:00 PM
Thanks for the advice and info. We have been finding ourselves drawn to PA more and more these days, and I'm sure that in the Spring we'll be drawn even more because of the farms and produce. We'll definitely seek out these marvelous looking pitzas! Yum! Sue

ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Sun, 04/13/08 10:35 AM
<<Marrone's has made the new edition of Roadfood, plus my beloved Glider Diner in Scranton---about an hour up the road. Thanks Michael and Jane and congrats on the new book!!!>>

Hey, thanks for that info. Somehow I missed the fact that there is a new edition. I have the first (1978?), and one or two of the others. I'm due for an upgrade. --Ken

reading, pa - guy
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Sat, 08/2/08 10:46 PM
I was born in Hazleton back in 76. I have had the luxury of eating this pitza since i can remember. One box is enough to feed a couple of guys for lunch and it will only set you back about $5.00
You are not going to beat that price and the stuff tastes great. A couple more food places to check out while in Hazleton, PA................ Rostas Cafe, Jimmys hot dogs, and Knotty Pines. The chocolate milkshake at Knotty Pines is one of the best i ever had. The antipasto at Rostas is also on the top of my list. Hazleton is not known for much anymore, but the above mentioned food places make it worth the stop.

Mosca
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Sun, 08/3/08 8:33 AM
Rostas'... the pizza is too sweet for me, but you will never be disappointed by the amount of toppings; best eaten with a fork. Seriously.

Jimmy's hot dogs... outstanding hot dogs.

Knotty Pine is almost closed, maybe it has already shuttered. They were on restricted hours; no breakfast. Great decor, awesome desserts, but hit and miss on many items. I never had a good omelet there, and how hard is it to screw up eggs?

dufferinnc
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Sun, 08/3/08 6:55 PM
I am a former Hazletonian...Just had a couple of slices of Senape's pitza--I've been wishing for some for YEARS!! I had raved about it to a truck-driving friend from Ahoske, NC (there's a long story that goes along with my raving) and he never forgot it. He surprised me upon his return. He also shared pitza with friends along the way home and found so many others that enjoyed its uniqueness as well. I was searching to see if Senapes has an online store (it should!) when I came across your posts.
The Pines' best-known food is their unique BBQ--nothing like it in any of the pig-pickin' states I have visited or lived in--and it comes in ham (still my 87 year-old mother's favorite)as well as pork and beef. When we went to "hang out" in the 70s, I loved fries with gravy and their birch beer (sadly, no longer on tap.)
I also have fond memories of the rock bands in the area: Richie Molinaro's played at the YMCA often, as well as my brother's band, Nobody's Children aka The Nomads. Just reading these posts has been so nostalgic! Thank you all!

ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Sun, 08/3/08 11:05 PM
A few comments on this thread that never seems to die:

1) It has an unusually high proportion of "One Post Only" comments. Not sure of the implication of that, but it sure is interesting.

2) As I said in a trip report a couple of months ago, it was this thread that served as inspiration for my own day trip to Hazleton, etc from NJ.

3) I have a friend who is a major fan of 60's Garage Rock. I Found a New Love by Ognir and the Night People is one of his all-time favorites.

4)(and somewhat related to #3), I had never heard of Dave the Rave until I saw this thread a few years ago. Great show!!

Mosca
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Mon, 08/4/08 12:16 AM
the "one post only" is because this thread is one of the top Google returns for the search, "Senapes" (#2 after "pitza.com"); it also comes up if you google "ognir and the night people" (6th result)!

pizza addict
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Thu, 10/2/08 10:10 AM
Does Tom or anyone know how to make the Senapes pitza rust or something similar. I love pizza and have tried similar pizzas at home for my wife and daughter. Thanks

pizza addict
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Thu, 10/2/08 10:18 AM
Sorry about the typo. I meant to type Senapes pitza crust instead of rust. Anyway I lived in Hazleton for many years and Senapes was on of the pizzas I truly enjoyed when I wasn't eating Vesuvio's Pizza. That is a beautiful tomato pie. Authentic roma tomato taste without all the seasonings, the finest mozzarella money buys and a beautiful crust, golden brown that allows you to fold it nicely while eating.

firecommander3565
  • Total Posts : 505
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Thu, 10/2/08 10:29 AM
I call this "Bakery Pizza" in Chicago. There are a couple of good place to get it, but my favorite is D'Matos on Grand Ave.

Scorereader
  • Total Posts : 5546
RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics - Fri, 10/3/08 11:22 AM
There's an italian restaurant/pizza shop called Suglia's in the Schuylkill Mall in Frackville just off of I-81. They make NY Style thin crust pizza. Pretty good. We ended up stopping there both north and south (it's conveniently half way between DC and Syracuse - which is just about time our baby boy needs to be fed) Anyway, it was certainly one of the best slices I've had in PA. (For perspective, you should know that I don't care for Senapes square pizza and other similar PA pizza)

So, yes, I found pizza I liked along I-81. I was wrong. It does exist.

the best part of the Mall, though, is the Gertrude Hawk Chocolate Outlet. Tons of treats for cheap cheap prices.

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 70