Sending food back

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
rbpalmer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 469
2005/05/19 08:56:15 (permalink)

Sending food back

As a frequent restaurant patron, there is an issue that I have struggled with for some time: Under what circumstances should it be considered appropriate for a diner to send a dish back to the kitchen and not have to pay for it? There are some situations that are cut-and-dried. For example, if I order a steak medium rare and it comes out well done, I believe I should be given the option of either leaving and paying nothing, or waiting for another, satisfactory steak and receiving some compensation for my lost time, such as a reduction in price, a free drink or dessert, or the like. Similarly, if any dish comes out of the kitchen either grossly undercooked or overcooked, the restaurant should be obligated to do something to make the situation right, either by providing a properly cooked dish, lowering the price or providing a freebie, or some combination of these options. But what if the dish is not improperly prepared, but the diner just doesn't like it for some reason? My wife seems to think that in such circumstances, she should be able to send the meal back, but it seems to me that whenever you go out, you run the risk that you will not like the dish that you order. That's why people often order the same thing whenever they eat at a given restaurant, because they have found something that they like and don't want to run the risk of being disappointed. It seems to me that a restaurant should not have to incur the penalty of not receiving payment for a meal unless they are at fault in some way. And what if the dish is not seasoned to the patron's liking? Is that a sufficient reason for sending it back?

95 Replies Related Threads

scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Sending food back 2005/05/19 09:51:53 (permalink)
    My .02 cents worth !

I, like you, believe that if the food comes out of the kitchen bad (over/under cooked, not fresh, etc.) then the establishment should be responsible for making it right. They can offer to prepare me another, or usually by that time I've had enough and they can just let me go without paying.

If, however, the food is not the "TASTE" that I expected or I did not care for the meal, that's my problem. I should just grin and bear it, pay for the meal and know not to order it again. Lesson learned !

-Tricky-
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 305
    RE: Sending food back 2005/05/19 13:32:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by scbuzz

My .02 cents worth !

I, like you, believe that if the food comes out of the kitchen bad (over/under cooked, not fresh, etc.) then the establishment should be responsible for making it right. They can offer to prepare me another, or usually by that time I've had enough and they can just let me go without paying.

If, however, the food is not the "TASTE" that I expected or I did not care for the meal, that's my problem. I should just grin and bear it, pay for the meal and know not to order it again. Lesson learned !

I agree 100%. If the dish was not improperly prepared, the onus is on the "buyer" to suck it up and deal. No mistakes were made, the food wasn't overcooked, spoiled, or otherwise WRONG, it just wasn't to the person's liking. I can't go to Border's, buy a book, decide I don't like it and take it back for a refund. (Or, I can, but it's cheating. It's the same thing, in my head.)
    pacman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: Sending food back 2005/05/19 14:15:45 (permalink)
    I agree that if you simply DON'T LIKE THE DISH, that is just too bad. There is no reason for the restaurant to refund/credit your tab for that item. Where I run into a problem is when there IS something WRONG with the dish. Often times, there is no good answer. If I send back a steak, the rest of the party is done by the time the right one comes out. So, I don't usually ask for a replacement. I do think that I should get some type of credit, I am willing to pay for the drink and salad/side dish I may have had already and would appreciate a comp desert, but, do not expect to leave paying NOTHING, unless they offer to comp it.
    hefried
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Sending food back 2005/05/19 14:40:31 (permalink)
    i agree with y'all. you definitly have the right to send food back if it's not cooked as you ordered it, and that includes say, if the salad supposed to have onions and carrots and corn and comes with chives and celery and tomatoes instead.. you should get what you order, as it appears on the menu or you have specified to the waitstaff.
    i'm not too sure how i feel about sending back food just cuz you don't like it. that seems lame and $%@#y and snotty and just plain uncool. i was with a friend who did that once, she very apologetically talked to the waiter and said she "just didn't like" what she ordered and she didn't want it and ordred something else instead... i was embarrased. it was not "not good food" it was fine, she just didn't like it. she didn't, by the way have to pay forthe food she "sent back". hmmmmmmm
    nettieplee
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Sending food back 2005/05/19 14:59:08 (permalink)
    I agree for the most part. You should only send something back if it is cooked wrong or isn't as per the menu. If you are trying something new and don't like it - too bad for you. But what if everyone dining orders something they've had before (maybe not at the same restaurant) and the food is horrible? This happened to me only once - everything about the entrees was horrible. My husband and I did complain and received complimentary desserts (still had to pay for the untouched entrees). After all what do you say to the waitress who comes back to ask if everything is ok and sees that you haven't touched a thing on your plate?
    KimChee43
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 382
    RE: Sending food back 2005/05/19 15:42:41 (permalink)
    I guess I've been a fortunate restaurant patron over the years. My biggest problem is, say, soup or an entree that arrives cold to the table. This has rarely happened to me, but when it does, the servers have usually been pretty gracious about taking said item back to the kitchen and quickly bringing me a satisfactory replacement.

The only thing I'm paranoid about, though, is sending back an undercooked steak. (I like my steaks "medium".) I've read too many horror stories, I guess, about disgruntled cooks taking said steak and doing "unmentionable" things to it before cooking it further and sending it back out to the patron.
    nvb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Sending food back 2005/05/19 16:27:28 (permalink)
    As an owner this is my policy:
    I offer samples of my sides and desserts so anyone can decide ahead of time if that's what they really want. If they don't like the BBQ I replace it with their choice of another meat from the BBQ menu. (Hasn't happened yet, but if it ever does...) If there is something wrong with a major meat it's fixed or it's free along with a card for a free meal. If we take too long getting a meal out, their next meal is on me.

I give the free meal card away because I don't want that person walking away and never coming back. I want to them to know that I'm bending over backwards and that that experience is not what we represent.

You don't get many second chances in this business, so I figure I've got to do all I can to stay in the game.

And while we're here please don't think you're doing a restaurant a favor by keeping quite about the quality/taste of their product. I need to know what the likes and dislikes are of my guests. In other words, I can't fix it unless I know it's broke.
    MissKitty
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 292
    RE: Sending food back 2005/05/19 16:54:12 (permalink)
    I take anything back if it is badly cooked, off, substandard ingredients or obvious false advertising. I have taken back takeaway fish and chips because they were stale and tough and had been cooked in old oil and hanging around in a hot cabinet too long. I dont care whether its cheap or expensive food, if its rubbish, back it goes. If something is simply not to my taste then its my fault because I either should have paid more attention to the menu or ordered something I knew I would like.

Something that did really annoy me is that a few years back, when in one local restaurant, my order of a bowl of moules mariniere arrived complete with the thick cut chips ( as in fries not crisps type chips ) that were accompanying it ( integrated in the price of the dish btw and not seperate ) and I was not able to eat the mussels after trying a couple because not only were they the huge new zealand type instead of sweet tender natives, they were also horribly overcooked to a rubber tyre consistency. I did complain about them and was not charged for the mussels but found they had added a seperate charge for the portion of chips instead, which was the only part of the meal I could eat ! I was furious, the restaurant provided me with an ineptly cooked and inedible main course and charged me for the side :/ how rude.
    -Tricky-
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Sending food back 2005/05/19 17:23:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MissKitty

I was furious, the restaurant provided me with an ineptly cooked and inedible main course and charged me for the side :/ how rude.

While I'd never do this, I'll play devil's advocate. Why shouldn't you pay for it? You ate it, there was nothing wrong with it, and it was good.

It's my personal opinion that it is always in the restaurant's best interest to go overboard in compensating a guest for an unsatisfactory experience, and I'd never charge a guest for a portion of a meal I'd had to legitimately comp, but I can see why some people might do it. I think it's "cutting of your nose to spite your face", but others might not view it that way. Even in this thread, a guest says "I do think that I should get some type of credit, I am willing to pay for the drink and salad/side dish I may have had already and would appreciate a comp desert, but, do not expect to leave paying NOTHING, unless they offer to comp it."

-Tricky-
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Sending food back 2005/05/19 17:25:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Slick

And while we're here please don't think you're doing a restaurant a favor by keeping quite about the quality/taste of their product. I need to know what the likes and dislikes are of my guests. In other words, I can't fix it unless I know it's broke.

Truer words were never spoken than these, though. I agree. If there really is something wrong, make sure someone knows. It very well could be a one-time mistake that you're steak was overcooked. It could also be an inexperienced cook, an overloaded station, an indifferent chef at the root of the problem. While every restaurant shoots for 100% perfection, an overcooked steak is going to happen. Continuous, repeated overcooked steaks shouldn't...
    jellybear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: Sending food back 2005/05/20 08:23:36 (permalink)
    This happened to me last week,A lady sent her Linquine and Shrimp back because it had red and black pepper in it.Well it says on the menu SAUTEEDin olive oil and red and black pepper.So I made her another all the while muttering under my breath.
    MissKitty
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 292
    RE: Sending food back 2005/05/20 15:16:55 (permalink)
    I paid for my drinks, I paid for my dessert, I was given an awful main course of which only a small part, a handful of chips, was edible. I was not being unreasonable, did not expect them to comp me the whole meal, but I do think they should not have charged me for something that was an integral part of an otherwise uneatable main. It would be like me serving up a plate of roast dinner and every item apart from say, a portion of garden peas, was badly cooked and poor quality and the diner could not eat it, and then me charging that poor diner for the portion of peas :/ Its adding insult to injury I think.

They did cut their nose off to spite their face on this occasion, as we never went back there again and vocalised long and loud to all our friends about the experience. Also it wasn't just the charge that bugged me, they were insufferably snotty about me bringing up the matter in the first place. " But thats how they're meant to be. " Er no, they are NOT meant to be like little bits of rubber ball, and I have eaten enough damn mussels to be able to tell the difference.
    pcdiva
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 591
    RE: Sending food back 2005/05/20 15:57:36 (permalink)
    It really depends on the restauarnt. I was trying a new diner by my house and ordered a dinner special. I just didn't like it, and asked to get another cup of soup since I was still hungry. They took away the food that was perfectly fine, just not to my taste, brought me a BOWL of soup and only charged me for the coke that I had with the meal. I told them when I ordered the soup that I would be happy to pay for my meal and add on the soup. (I'm a frequent visitor now, but would have been even if they hadn't comped my meal)

I've had problems at other restaurants where there was a problem with the food, and not only was it not comped, it wasn't replaced either. Never going back again.

dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Sending food back 2005/05/20 16:22:14 (permalink)
    I have eaten meats that are cooked beyond what I ordered when everyone else at the table is also eating but I make sure to ask for the manager and point it out. Sometimes there's a comp offered, sometimes not. But if something is truely inedible, like rubberballs posing as shrimp, I'll refuse to pay and be very vocal in my opinions if the "manager" objects. Theres nothing quiets down a restaurant like a 6'4, 275 lb man with long hair and full beard bellowing, but Ive found most places are quick to placate a dissatisfied customer before that extreme is necessary.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15185
    RE: Sending food back 2005/05/20 18:46:33 (permalink)

I tend to agree with those who say if it's prepared wrong...or something is noticeably wrong with the quality of the entree, you deserve some compensation--be it an alternate choice, a comeback offer or something like that. If it is the result of poor service (food is cold when served...after obviously sitting somewhere after preparation) then a grip to the management and a subtraction from the tip is in order...but I don't expect them to redo the dinner because of a poor server...unless they offer.
    I do not think someone is entitled to compensation just because they don't "Like" their choice when it arrives.

Two examples- 1. Last Fall at our local Outback I ordered my usual rack of Lamb (as part of a party of 9). I ordered it 'medium' which is described as pink in the middle. It arrived very well-done. I told the server about the problem, she took it back to have them do another. When she returned with the second entree the manager accompanied her to be sure that "Everything was ok". I don't know if he was checking on my gripe or his cook. I cut into the second rack in front of him and it was VERY Rare. Seared on the outside and red-raw and cold inside the first 1/8th inch. The manager apologized, took my dinner back and offered a third try on the house. Since our party was all but finished at that point, I declined another try...but I did accept his coupon for a complete dinner for two on our next visit. The key to all of this was I kept my cool during the discussion, even though I was very hungry, and my family didn't feel the same calm emotion that I had at the time.
    I did have the feeling when the manager approched that he was suspicious of customer'snottiness' and unwarrented complaint...but his face when he saw the second try told me I had a valid gripe.
    We have since used the coupon...but probably won't go back there very much unless, like this time, a family member selects it for us.

Second comment. While still in SoCal we had a Tony Roma's near us. They often ran an AYCE rib special on their 'early dinner' menu. Jan and I order that special one afternoon...first round went ok..first reorder was spoiled..I mean grey meat that stunk big-time, even with their sauce on it. I compained to the server. He went back to the kitchen and returned shortly with another order...this too was spoiled.It wasn't even close, I could smell the spoiled pork when he set it down on the table. He said it seemed alright to him. I asked to see the manager and was told he was out of the store for an hour (probably went out to dinner). When I asked for compensation(no charge for the dinner) for the double order of bad food I was told that since my 'regular' dinner was ok, I was not eligible for any comps. Needless to say we stiffed the tip and have never returned to any Tony Roma's...even if other family wanted to go there.
    n4mtees
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Sending food back 2005/05/20 19:30:49 (permalink)
    As someone who's spent quite a bit of time as a server, let me offer this comment.

Any server worth their salt will notice something's wrong and ask (they should've asked already, anyway). You should tell them, nicely, that you didn't care for it. When I detected a lack of enthusiasm when asking about the meal, I would always encourage them to answwer me honestly by saying something like, "Are you sure you liked it? You don't seem to have eaten much of it". This is usually enough to elicit a more honest opinion. The server should try to find out what went wrong- was it taste, change of heart, whatever.
    If they didn't like the meal, a good server will try to rectify the situation, either with a dessert, a drink, or another entree, depending on the situation.
    Any restaurant owner, who cares about their reputation and their product, wouldn't object to the server offering some sort of compensation. Indeed they would've been trained to do so.
    The restaurant needs to know if some dish just isn't that good. It may not just be you, it may be the dish really does stink.

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Sending food back 2005/05/20 20:26:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by n4mtees

As someone who's spent quite a bit of time as a server, let me offer this comment.

Any server worth their salt will notice something's wrong and ask (they should've asked already, anyway). You should tell them, nicely, that you didn't care for it. When I detected a lack of enthusiasm when asking about the meal, I would always encourage them to answwer me honestly by saying something like, "Are you sure you liked it? You don't seem to have eaten much of it". This is usually enough to elicit a more honest opinion. The server should try to find out what went wrong- was it taste, change of heart, whatever.
    If they didn't like the meal, a good server will try to rectify the situation, either with a dessert, a drink, or another entree, depending on the situation.
    Any restaurant owner, who cares about their reputation and their product, wouldn't object to the server offering some sort of compensation. Indeed they would've been trained to do so.
    The restaurant needs to know if some dish just isn't that good. It may not just be you, it may be the dish really does stink.

Touche!!!
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Sending food back 2005/05/21 02:05:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dreamzpainter

I have eaten meats that are cooked beyond what I ordered when everyone else at the table is also eating but I make sure to ask for the manager and point it out. Sometimes there's a comp offered, sometimes not. But if something is truely inedible, like rubberballs posing as shrimp, I'll refuse to pay and be very vocal in my opinions if the "manager" objects. Theres nothing quiets down a restaurant like a 6'4, 275 lb man with long hair and full beard bellowing, but Ive found most places are quick to placate a dissatisfied customer before that extreme is necessary.

Pretty close here... But somehow I attract the men in blue (or brown) when I do that one!

There's way to many variables to get a good answer on this one.. But if the food is not as advertised, cooked wrong, or just plain crap quality, then ya... Something needs to be done! When I ran a pizza shop a decade ago I had a guy threaten to shoot me because his pie was not up to par.. Well, he was almost a daily customer so I did him better then anyone else.. After the threat, I personally drove to his trailer... His tune changed real quick once he realized who I was... Then one time I was working a Sports Bar downtown... Our menu said the burgers where "Charbroiled".. Had a customer go off on that one.. (Didnt want that tasty flame broiled taste, so I grilled it instead) Made it right (totally decked it out for him), kept him happy and he became a dedicated customer... Some people just dont ask for what they exactly want... Cooks and Chefs are not psychic...

Then there's the scammers out there... They'll eat 1/2 to 3/4 of a meal (and in this country, that pretty much a full dinner in itself).. Then try to find fault with it.. I'm not even going into details on this one... Though my brother did say someone tried to pull this on him this week... Some lady customer ate 1/2 her meal and ran for the bathroom screaming Food Poisoning.. Now this is a clean middle class (with upper class visiting) type restraunt... Manager told her it takes a day or 2 to get food poisoning and her tune quickly changed.. After ya think ya seen it all....

dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Sending food back 2005/05/21 15:32:54 (permalink)
    generally a calm voice will prevail and most places are quick to placate a customer. Non chains are better at this and quicker to offer comps for an honest mistake like an overdone steak. It's those still wet behind the ears "managers" who deny theres anything wrong with the rubberball scampi or the filet of workboot sole that demand you make your presence known, you dont have to lose your temper for everyone to know your dissatisfied with the service.
    kareno
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Sending food back 2005/05/26 14:22:38 (permalink)
    Recently, our family (5) ate out at a chain. We order appetizers, full dinners and usually desserts.

Server was polite, but meals came out totally under cooked. Additional beverages took more than 15 minutes to be delivered. Some at our table were finished with their meals before we were asked if all was alright. All the while SEVERAL employee's stood around talking as they weren't that busy. She took the 2 under cooked meals back to the kitchen, where they put it right into the microwave. It heated the bowls up, but never cooked the food.

Manager came over, and then took 1 entree off the bill. We asked for to-go boxes for the meals (still under cooked & couldn't eat it). The boxes she brought were COVERED on the bottom with dried up spilled coffee. I called a different server over, and told them to find something clean.

The manager returned, apologized for the bad food/service and gave us certificates for $5/each off our next entree's. Well we wouldn't go back to that particular restaurant so basically another place will end up 'paying' for their mistake.
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Sending food back 2005/05/26 21:02:57 (permalink)
    I send food back if it arrives at my table not prepared as I ordered it.
    For instance, tonight, I ordered my barbecue plate with my sauce on the side. It came with sauce poured all over the meat and I reminded my waitress that I had ordered it with sauce on the side. She remembered that I had ordered it that way, so she took it back and brought me my order the correct way. Anytime I order soup, if it is not Hot, I send it back. I haven't had any problems with my wait persons though.
    meat.me.at.the.city
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Sending food back 2005/06/03 23:04:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by scbuzz

My .02 cents worth !

either way you go the restraunt will win, only cause ya advertising the biz (word of mouth is great)
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13477
    RE: Sending food back 2005/06/04 19:09:51 (permalink)
    Today I went to AJ's in Maryville, TN to watch the Busch races and enjoy a burger. I ordered the burger well done and it arrived very pink. I could not consume it but I did not say anything and when the server came up to give me the check, she inquired what was wrong. I explained that it was too pink for me and regardless, I would pay. The burger was deducted from the bill and it came to $20 because I had a drinkypoo. I gave her a $10 tip because I knew she was not responsible for the screwup. She was happy but I probably will not return.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    bassrocker4u2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 534
    RE: Sending food back 2005/06/06 10:26:51 (permalink)
    refer back to slick's post
    quote:
    that is exactly what drives restaurant owners crazy. sundancer, you didnt even give the people a chance to fix the problem. its very possible, that the problem was the server that you tipped so generously. perhaps someone in a different table ordered a medium rare burger, and the server picked up the wrong one, or just took it to the wrong table, or put in her kitchen request wrong. the point is, there are tons of things that can go wrong with a plate before it gets to your table. you definitely should have given the place a chance to make it better, and saved their reputation. now, everyone you tell this story to will be tainted upon their next visit, if they ever go back. when humans are involved, there are going to be mistakes. you should give them another chance.
    bassrocker4u2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 534
    RE: Sending food back 2005/06/06 10:30:32 (permalink)
    i give up on this quote thing....thats twice....
    SouthHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: Sending food back 2005/06/06 10:58:32 (permalink)
    Picky diners really aggravate me. I have a brother who I refuse to go into a restaurant with. There is always something he can't tolerate and he sends back or complains loudly about. Very obnoxious and only trying get a discount. He embarrases the sane half of the family.

Having said that, I once ordered scallops from a very well known seafood restaurant in Boston. They were supposed to be "herbed scallops." When I got the dish there was so much basil, tyme and rosemary on them that they were inedible. It was one of the worse things I was ever served. I should have sent them back.
    It was a hot summer evening, the place was hot (we were near the kitchen), the waitress was stoned on her arse(along with the rest of the staff), we had poor service, had to keep asking for our food, never got our salad, it was a horrible experience. I should have complained LOUDLY.
    I was young and on an expense account . . . paid the bill and got the hell outta there.
    Kodachrome
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: Sending food back 2005/06/06 20:56:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Today I went to AJ's in Maryville, TN to watch the Busch races and enjoy a burger. I ordered the burger well done and it arrived very pink. I could not consume it but I did not say anything and when the server came up to give me the check, she inquired what was wrong. I explained that it was too pink for me and regardless, I would pay. The burger was deducted from the bill and it came to $20 because I had a drinkypoo. I gave her a $10 tip because I knew she was not responsible for the screwup. She was happy but I probably will not return.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Personally, I think you should have sent this back...it's not like you ordered it medium rare and it was a bit pink- you ordered it well done. :(

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4593
    RE: Sending food back 2005/06/06 23:46:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Kodachrome

quote:

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Personally, I think you should have sent this back...it's not like you ordered it medium rare and it was a bit pink- you ordered it well done. :(

.... this kind of leads to why I'm not a big food-returner ... I've found that they OVER-compnsate and when you get it back next time it'd be cooked like an asteroid. Even if they do it in good faith, it is just not worth the hassle. Don't go back there for a burger -- lesson learned.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Sending food back 2005/06/07 03:13:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

quote:
    Originally posted by Kodachrome

quote:

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

.... this kind of leads to why I'm not a big food-returner ... I've found that they OVER-compnsate and when you get it back next time it'd be cooked like an asteroid. Even if they do it in good faith, it is just not worth the hassle. Don't go back there for a burger -- lesson learned.

But yet that could have been their one and only screw up of the day... I would have sent it back and given them ONE more chance... Screw it up the second time and they're toast...
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1