Sgt. White's Diner - Pit Cooked BBQ still going strong!!!

Author
Muttster
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2009/06/30 18:00:37 (permalink)

Sgt. White's Diner - Pit Cooked BBQ still going strong!!!

Our family went to vacation in Hilton Head last week and I am happy to report that good BBQ can still be found in the low country.  I say that because we stayed in Greenville, SC and had some of the most godawful BBQ that I have ever tasted.  Ribs that tasted like they had been parboiled and so overcooked that when I picked them up, the meat slid off and I got stuck holding the bone and pulled pork that sat too long in the steam table.  As a result, I was a little gun shy to try another BBQ joint, but what the hell, life is too short to avoid the possibility of finding good BBQ.   As we were heading to Beaufort anyways, we decided to see if all the good things that we heard about the good Sgt. was true.

Unlike the Greenville strip mall restaurant, as soon as we got out of the car, the smell of hickory told me that we were home.  When you walk in, you are literally next to the counter with the various sides present.  Off to the side is a nice older style dining room with a knotty pine look to it.  Sgt. White's is only open for a short time period and while they serve cafeteria style, it appeared that they were at the tail end of their business day.  The hostess/waitress who couldn't have been nicer confirmed that a pulled pork sandwich was the way to go and we ordered flour sandwiches with sides like sweet and sour cabbage, greens, cornbread and mash potatoes and gravy.

The pork was excellent, moist with a good mix of bark and with a smoke flavor which let you know that this was cooked in a pit but not so overpowering that it taste bitter.  Serving sizes was ample and coupled with the sides, filled us up nicely.  I mentioned to the hostess and the Sgt. how much we enjoyed the food and he apologized for the quality telling us that they got hit by a large party that mostly wiped them out for the day.  Trust me - there was nothing to apologize for here.  When I come back to Hilton Head and Beaufort, the good Sgt. and his wonderful hostess will be the first place that I go to eat.  In the age of fast food and theme restaurants, its good to know that there are still places where the love of the food and the craft of BBQ shines thru.

Sgt. White's Diner
1908 Boundary St.
Beaufort, S.C.  29902

11 Replies Related Threads

Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    Re:Sgt. White's Diner - Pit Cooked BBQ still going strong!!! 2009/06/30 18:21:59 (permalink)
    I was in Greenville last year; the "Q" we had was not great.  But, the town was fabulous.

I look forward to reading about Sgt. White's Diner.  Thanks...Welcome

Sterns have been there..Gave it a good review.
    post edited by Baah Ben - 2009/06/30 23:51:46
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10421
    Re:Sgt. White's Diner - Pit Cooked BBQ still going strong!!! 2009/07/01 08:18:18 (permalink)
    Muttster-
    Welcome to Roadfood and thanks for the feedback on Sgt. White's.  I have been outside the place and it sure did have a great Roadfood look.  Unfortunately, they are only open for lunch on weekdays, so they weren't open.  Isn't that a beautiful area around Beaufort?
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    Re:Sgt. White's Diner - Pit Cooked BBQ still going strong!!! 2009/07/01 08:47:13 (permalink)
    Big art community in Beaufort...Supposed to have some really good dining, too.  B&B's.  Hoping to get there this winter.
    rumaki
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1067
    Re:Sgt. White's Diner - Pit Cooked BBQ still going strong!!! 2009/07/01 09:44:15 (permalink)
    I haven't been there for several years, in part because it isn't open on weekends. 

I had heard that the good Sgt. was retiring and selling the place.  Sounds like that didn't happen.

I'm glad.  I really enjoyed it the two times I was able to lunch there.
    accent
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re:Sgt. White's Diner - Pit Cooked BBQ still going strong!!! 2009/07/11 09:45:57 (permalink)
    I've been going to Sgt White's for the past seven years and always make the pilgrimage from Hilton Head to Beaufort.
    One thing that has not been mentioned is how great the sides are, that are in the steam table as you line up for bbq.
    I had the absolute best mac and cheese as well as a gumbo dish that was truly outstanding.
    The server, who is always helpful, cheery, and polite, told us that the Sergeant makes his own sides and each one is delicious. Every one I've tried has been exactly as she said.
    I usually go at lunch time, and have been in a lineup of eight to ten people more than once, but the kindness of the server seems to rub off on those in line, so it's always a pleasure standing, talking about the bbq, and hearing the reviews of each of the sides. Agreat place to eat, just hope the Sergeant is so busy that he finds it impossible to close down.
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:Sgt. White's Diner - Pit Cooked BBQ still going strong!!! 2009/07/15 17:11:35 (permalink)
    dammit, now I'm gonna have to go down there during the week so I can eat there.  ;)
    maertens
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:Sgt. White's Diner - Pit Cooked BBQ still going strong!!! 2010/07/20 15:05:41 (permalink)
    Could someone please confirm that Sgt White's is still open????
    We ate there about 8 years ago and my Sister still says it was the best BBQ ever. We haven't been back because we heard it was closed. We will be back in the area in Oct 2010 and will stop if open. Hours would be helpful also.
    Thanks! Mike
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3759
    Re:Sgt. White's Diner - Pit Cooked BBQ still going strong!!! 2010/07/20 15:45:04 (permalink)
    It was open as recently as this past February, with no signs of closing imminent.  We were there late afternoon on a weekday, but I couldn't quote the hours chapter and verse.  Their phone number should be listed in the restaurant review on this site.  I am sure that a quick phone call would confirm - directly - their current operating hours.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15304
    Re:Sgt. White's Diner - Pit Cooked BBQ still going strong!!! 2010/07/20 15:50:23 (permalink)
    Some Congressional candidate had a news conference and lunch there 6 July of 2010. Google the name of the place for any updates. it is still in operation ...
    3fan4evr
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 62
    Re:Sgt. White's Diner - Pit Cooked BBQ still going strong!!! 2010/07/25 04:07:47 (permalink)
     I was there in Feb. and had a wonderful lunch. Just like TTM said, I saw no signs of closing. Pretty sure they open for lunch @ 11 'cause there was a line of about 10 people waiting for the doors to open :)
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re:Sgt. White's Diner - Pit Cooked BBQ still going strong!!! 2010/07/25 10:12:28 (permalink)
    I ate there this past February (2010) and was surprised to find The Travelin' Man enjoying his meal...strange coincidence!  I think not!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1