Shad Roe

Author
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 773
2004/03/31 20:36:48 (permalink)

Shad Roe

Just came into a nice bit of shad roe. I have eaten it out and enjoyed it very much, but have never made it for myself. Any recipes or preparation suggestions would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Meowzart

8 Replies Related Threads

Donna Douglass
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 508
    RE: Shad Roe 2004/03/31 21:03:22 (permalink)
    Oh, lucky you! How I do love Shad Roe. Have had it fixed only two ways, one broken up and scrambled with eggs for breakfast, and the other way as follows (and this is a James Beard recipe):

For 2 pair of roe, melt 6 ounces of butter (3/4 cup) in a skillet. When butter is melted and warm but not hot, dip the roe in it and arrange them in the pan. Cover and simmer over low for about 12-15 minutes turning once. Season to taste with salt,pepper and parsley. Serve with lemon wedges and the butter from the pan. Accompany this with crisp bacon.

The roe can be broiled but this dries it out and it is uninteresting.

We spent a couple of winters on Hilton Head Island and in February I could get shad with their roe, right off the boats, and that was grand and glorius eating.

Enjoy and I hope you find that you like it as much as I.

Donna
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Shad Roe 2004/03/31 21:47:03 (permalink)
    Gently Saute some bacon, add some thinly sliced onions or shallots in butter just enough to get the rawness out of them. Add the roes to the pan and saute covered for eight to fifteen minutes depending on the size of the roes. Remove the roes to a warm platter, add some white wine, tarragon and chervil and salt and black pepper to taste to the pan and pour over the roe and serve immediately. Depending on the size of the roes, it takes one or two per serving. Handle them gently, but if they split open dont worry , they'll still taste good

Some people soak the roes in milk for an hour or so before sauteing- I've never found this did anything to the roes.

Serve with lemon wedges. We like boiled tiny potatoes and asparagus with our roe. In recent years, since fiddle head ferns have come on the market we have served them with the roe - beware, its an acquired taste... We also like cornbread - the slightly sweet Yankee kind with our roe.

If you dont want all the bacon fat, you can cook the bacon separately, and saute the onion in sweet butter and add the roe and proceed as above. Roe and bacon seem to have a particular affinity for each other.

Beer or a nice dry white wine go very well with the roe.
    Alexander
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 164
    RE: Shad Roe 2004/04/01 08:23:08 (permalink)
    The classic way of cooking shad roe is to wrap it in strips of bacon and broil it. If properly done, it will not dry out.
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Shad Roe 2004/04/01 09:19:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

If you dont want all the bacon fat...

Oh yeah...I want all the bacon fat!!!

Thanks for all the tips!! I'll report back!
    fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: Shad Roe 2004/04/01 09:37:04 (permalink)
    When I was very young, my mother would make shad roe "cakes" for breakfast. All I know is that she made a batter with the roe and cooked them in a skillet like pancakes (in bacon drippings, I'm sure). I don't think I've ever seen that done anywhere else, but maybe there's a recipe somewhere (it would probably be considered very southern, "soul" food).

Frank
    Alexander
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 164
    RE: Shad Roe 2004/04/01 09:45:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fcbaldwin

When I was very young, my mother would make shad roe "cakes" for breakfast. All I know is that she made a batter with the roe and cooked them in a skillet like pancakes (in bacon drippings, I'm sure). I don't think I've ever seen that done anywhere else, but maybe there's a recipe somewhere (it would probably be considered very southern, "soul" food).

Frank

Fried fish roe cakes are pretty much a standard fare in home cooking, at least on the SC coast. I've never heard of using shad roe this way - it tended to be a seasonal specialty and prepared differently, at least in my experience.
    fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: Shad Roe 2004/04/01 10:01:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Alexander

quote:
    Originally posted by fcbaldwin

Frank

Fried fish roe cakes are pretty much a standard fare in home cooking, at least on the SC coast. I've never heard of using shad roe this way - it tended to be a seasonal specialty and prepared differently, at least in my experience.

That's probably what I had "way back then". Since shad is such a seasonal thing, and therefore special, I doubt she used it for the fried cakes.

Frank
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Shad Roe 2004/04/01 10:06:13 (permalink)
    If I have leftover cooked shad roe, I stir it into scrambled eggs for breakfast.

To each his own. If you like your shad roe broiled, that's the way to have it, but I think it comes out dry , grainy, and with a tough crust that I dont really like.

Forgot to mention, many people like to serve their shad roe on toast points after sauteing.

John McPhee in his wonderful book about shad, "The Founding Fish"
    has an appendix of recipes for coooking shad and its roe. He has a
    delightful complicated version of shad roe and bacon that is beautifully written and too long to try to repeat here. Suffice to say it takes at least 30 minutes of very slow sauteing in an iron skillet. Some day i might spend the time and effort to try it - but not with my first roe of the year which I expect to see extracted from the Hudson River in about three weeks.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1