Shad roe New with photos

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
ChrisOC
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 988
2009/03/06 16:58:09 (permalink)

Shad roe New with photos

Has anyone seen shad or shad roe on the menu in South Jersey? 
post edited by ChrisOC - 2009/04/04 17:58:55

45 Replies Related Threads

cy_dugas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 199
    Re:Shad roe 2009/03/06 17:07:00 (permalink)
    I've never eaten shad roe, but when we catch panfish down here we keep the roe sacks.  Crappie, bass, etc.  Fry them along with the fish...good eating!

Never see this in restaurants, though.

cy
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    Re:Shad roe 2009/03/06 18:36:08 (permalink)
    Last time I ate Shad roe was on a trip to NYC. I was fortunate enough to be in NY during the short window of time that Shad roe is available. 
    It was in the grill at the Plaza Hotel. Simply, and beautifully sauteed in butter with lemon on the side. Memorable!

kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 825
    Re:Shad roe 2009/03/07 14:55:30 (permalink)
    Mark your calendars April 25 & 26

http://www.lambertville.org/main.php?page=shadfest
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    Re:Shad roe 2009/03/07 21:06:55 (permalink)
    Lambertville is a lot like New Paltz: it ranges from the outrageous to the down-home staid - except that Lambertville has money and we are poor. But, what struck me about their festival is that shad is relegated to almost an afterthought. Like you can eat all the hotdogs and hamburgers you want, but , if you are lucky, you just might get a taste of shad cooked by one of the best joints in town.

Due to the scarcity of Hudson River shad last season , Kingston did not have a festival - Hope they'll have on this year. 

Anyways, I'm looking forward to a feast of shad roe sometime in the next 8 weeks - I'll probably have to cook it myself.

Cheers, John 
    RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    Re:Shad roe 2009/03/08 16:32:00 (permalink)
    Easton PA also has a Shad Festival with a weeklong shad fishing tournament at the forks of the Delaware and Lehigh Rivers.  This year, the cookout of shad on wooden planks is Sunday, May 3rd.

http://www.shadtournament.com/index.html

Shad and shad roe started appearing on restaurant menus and in the local seafood markets about a week ago.  In my opinion, the best preparation in this area of PA for boneless shad and shad roe during the season is Youell's Oyster house, hidden on a side street in Allentown.

http://www.youellsoysterhouse.com/about.php
    brittneal
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Shad roe 2009/03/08 18:06:24 (permalink)

I cleaned a ton of bluegill as a kid.  I hated it when I found them filled with that orange roe.  I didnt think they'd be good to eat so I pitched them.
    post edited by brittneal - 2009/05/22 23:12:23
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Shad roe 2009/03/21 21:07:54 (permalink)
    Had my first shad roe of the season yesterday. My fish monger said it came from Virginia -probably Chesapeake Bay. Gently sauteed with onions and bacon it was delicious. 

Cheers, John  
    brittneal
    Re:Shad roe 2009/03/21 21:23:21 (permalink)

Our Ohio lakes and rivers are loaded with shad of various species.  I know local fisherman who can catch 100's of lbs in a few hours for catfish bait.  Is the roe of these edible?  If so it looks like an almost virgin market..
    post edited by brittneal - 2009/05/22 23:13:29
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18346
    Re:Shad roe 2009/03/21 21:33:14 (permalink)
    brittneal

Our Ohio lakes and rivers a re loaded with shad of various species.  I know local fisherman who can catch 100's of lbs in a few hours for catfish bait.  Is the reo of these edible?  If so it looks like an almost virgin market..

It's American shad, not gizzard shad. Gizzard shad is the baitfish. American Shad is a gamefish caught by hook and line. It is anadromous, like salmon, spawning in rivers and living in the sea till spawning time.

http://marinebio.org/species.asp?id=443
    post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2009/03/21 21:40:58
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Shad roe 2009/03/22 11:05:06 (permalink)
    As to shad being a game fish: It certainly is on the Delaware and its tributaries where fly rod fishermen have developed the sport into a high art. 

But along the Hudson, as far as I know, no one has ever caught a shad on a hook and line - drift nets and gill nets being the favored tactic. I think John McPhee in his fine book on American shad explains why this is so - but I forget the explanation.

Cheers, John  
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Shad roe 2009/03/22 11:33:07 (permalink)
    I've fished for shad on the Delaware in New Jersey, and I grew up fishing shad on the Connecticut. While I knew that they used to net them on the Hudson, I've just never thought of these as anything other than hook and line fish. Walleye, for instance, are a gamefish and are caught on hook and line, although commercial netters (and thank God there are no more of these allowed to use nets for walleye in Ohio waters of Lake Erie) do not use hook and line.
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Shad roe 2009/03/22 11:53:22 (permalink)
    Nice article from Edible Manhattan on shad by Peter Hoffman (any relation Michael?).

http://www.ediblemanhattan.com/content/index.php/issue-4/chefspeak-mar/apr-09-shad.htm
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Shad roe 2009/03/22 12:57:05 (permalink)
    Nope. No relation.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Shad roe 2009/03/22 14:59:06 (permalink)
    Thanks, Kozel, for posting that wonderful piece by Hoffman - I've copied it and tucked it into my McPhee book. I'd completely forgotten that Joseph Mitchell story that, I think, first appeared in The New Yorker magazine about 50 years ago. Does anyone know where I could get a copy of that?

And, Michael Hoffman, I'm interested to learn that rod and reel fishing for shad is also practiced on the Connecticut River - come to think of it, McPhee may have made some mention of that. 

Cheers, John 

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Shad roe 2009/03/22 15:14:21 (permalink)
    My favorite shad recipe (from 1851):

Split and wash the shad, and afterwards dry it in a cloth. Season it with salt and pepper. Have ready a bed of clear bright coals. Grease your gridiron well, and as soon as it is hot lay the shad upon it, and broil it for about a quarter of an hour or more, according to the thickness. When done, pitch the shad and eat the gridiron.
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Shad roe 2009/03/22 18:40:45 (permalink)
    seafarer john

Thanks, Kozel, for posting that wonderful piece by Hoffman - I've copied it and tucked it into my McPhee book. I'd completely forgotten that Joseph Mitchell story that, I think, first appeared in The New Yorker magazine about 50 years ago. Does anyone know where I could get a copy of that?

And, Michael Hoffman, I'm interested to learn that rod and reel fishing for shad is also practiced on the Connecticut River - come to think of it, McPhee may have made some mention of that. 

Cheers, John

Could it be from April 4, 1959?

ABSTRACT: PROFILE of Harry Lyons, a "riverman" of Edgewater, a former fireman who, even during his tenure as a firefighter was permitted to take time out for shad-fishing every spring. History & description of Edgewater, his birthplace. The land on which it is situated & the land for some distance along the river above & below it was settle in the 17th century by Dutch & Huguenot farmers. Their names are on the older gravestones in the Edgewater Cemetery: The Bourdettes, Vreelands, Bogerts, Van Zandts, Wendells, Dyckmans, Westervelts & Demarest. In the early eighteen hundreds some bluestone quarries were opened, & new people, most of whom were English, began to come in and settle down & intermarry with the old farming & fishing families. They were followed by the Irish. Building stones & paving blocks & curbings for NYC were cut in the quarries & carried to the city on barges. Some of these families died out, some moved away, and some are still flourishing. The Edgewater Cemetery forms a U between a group of factory buildings of the Aluminum Company.

Try this link for the search I did.  Looks like you can get the full article with just registration.  (Sorry, on further investigation, as a subscriber you get free access, or for $4.99 you can get access to just that issue.)

http://www.newyorker.com/search/query?query=shad&page=2&queryType=nonparsed
    post edited by kozel - 2009/03/22 18:45:57
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Shad roe 2009/03/22 19:01:55 (permalink)
    I've been a subscriber since "before the flood" - at least 50 years- and I never was aware of the freebies available. I will look into it this week. 

As to our friend, MH's, recipe: I'm disappointed in him. I was sure he'd be a shad and shad roe fan. After all, he is a guy who knows good food, likes good food, appreciates the wealth of wild game out there, and grew up ( I guess) eating the shad they caught out of the Connecticut river. 

Without going into detail - just Google shad roe and shad and you'll find a plethora of recipes - enough to please any appetite.

Cheers, John  
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Shad roe 2009/03/22 19:02:02 (permalink)
    I've been a subscriber since "before the flood" - at least 50 years- and I never was aware of the freebies available. I will look into it this week. 

As to our friend, MH's, recipe: I'm disappointed in him. I was sure he'd be a shad and shad roe fan. After all, he is a guy who knows good food, likes good food, appreciates the wealth of wild game out there, and grew up ( I guess) eating the shad they caught out of the Connecticut river. 

Without going into detail - just Google shad roe and shad and you'll find a plethora of recipes - enough to please any appetite.

Cheers, John  
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Shad roe 2009/03/22 19:16:13 (permalink)
    seafarer john

Cheers, John

Unless the person doing the boning is an absolute expert, shad are, as far as I'm concerned, beyond inedible. There's a reason why Indians called shad the inside-out porcupine.

I've eaten properly boned shad, and I've eaten shad boned by people claiming to be experts that would kill anyone with their huge number of bones not removed.

As to shad roe, I'm a fan.

seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Shad roe 2009/03/22 21:21:47 (permalink)
    I closely watched a woman who was an expert de-boner of shad for several hours one day. Then I purchased an unboned shad (for some ridiculously low price)  from the lady and proceeded home to replicate her labors. My efforts were a disaster, and that particular shad fertilized the tomatoes that Summer. It is indeed a dying skill - I don't look forward to the day when there are no properly boned shad filets available at the market. When I grew up in Poughkeepsie  shad fileters were a dime a dozen...

Cheers, John 
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Shad roe 2009/03/22 21:24:33 (permalink)
    seafarer john

I closely watched a woman who was an expert de-boner of shad for several hours one day. Then I purchased an unboned shad (for some ridiculously low price)  from the lady and proceeded home to replicate her labors. My efforts were a disaster, and that particular shad fertilized the tomatoes that Summer. It is indeed a dying skill - I don't look forward to the day when there are no properly boned shad filets available at the market. When I grew up in Poughkeepsie  shad fileters were a dime a dozen...

Cheers, John

ChrisOC
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 988
    Re:Shad roe 2009/04/01 11:09:49 (permalink)
    I went to my local fish market on Sunday and they had shad and shad roe.  I bought one set of the roe.

And one fillet of shad.  This is a machined boned fillet.  It is expensive but worth it.  It is also very ugly!

All those cuts are needed to remove the numerous bones of a shad.  Put back together it isn't so bad.

Mrs OC and I each had half of the roe and half of the fillet.

Both fried with LOTS of butter. I poached the roe a little first so it would be cooked through.  It is very fragile and if fried too long the eggs begin to burst.

By the way, you can buy shad fillets that are not machine boned and they are alot cheaper but DON"T BUY IT!! it is a hair brush disguised as fish.  Lots of bones left in.  With the machine boned neither of us got one single bone. 

lobster
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re:Shad roe 2009/05/22 20:23:35 (permalink)

I live in Oregon and the shad will start running in the Columbia next month. I hope to go and fly  fish for them mostly for the fun of it. Also I hope to go sturgeon fishing with shad as the bait. I have enjoyed the roe fried several times and have never eaten the fish. Out west, eating even the roe is rare. Shad is considered by many crab and sturgeon bait (it is good bait). However, the Asian community clean up during the shad run, and stock up for the year. The most common way they eat it is a process of smoking, pickling, and then canning. After the canning the bones dissolve. One guy I met who's Asian wife was doing all the work, said it was very good. I grew up in NH near the Connecticut River. I have heard that they use to pickle shad by the barrel back before the dams were built.
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    Re:Shad roe 2009/05/22 21:08:05 (permalink)
    Michael, you are about as much an expert on shad as my grand parents were, which puts you in high standing in my book. My grandfather would actually put out special shad nets in the river to catch the fish. The roe were the part of the fish that was of course desired. But things were done differently here where I grew up in eastern NC. The row were dredged in seasoned cornmeal and fried until done. The fish themselves were fried until crisp and you basically ate the crisp bones and threw away what was to harsh to eat. It was a chore to say the least. 

The other way we ate shad was to make a fish stew that had potatoes, onions, and tomatoes added to it. The stew was cooked down, with lots of red and black pepper and the roe was added to it in the last hour. The biggie though was the addition of raw eggs gently added to the stew the last 15 minutes or so. The key to making this stew was to never allow it to come to a boil as this would make the fish fall apart and the roe burst their sacs. I enjoyed this stew as a kid until I actually got a fish bone stuck in my throat and almost strangled to death until my grandfather ran his finger down my throat and managed to get the bones out. I wasn't able to eat for several days as the bones had cut my throat up where they were lodged and he forced them out with his fingers.

Needless to say I am not a fish person today but do love other types of seafood.

Dennis in Cary

Born in OKC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    Re:Shad roe New with photos 2009/05/23 00:31:22 (permalink)
    IIRC there was a roadfood feature earlier this year about a small seasonal restaurant in North Carolina with "fish camp" ambiance that served shad. I can't find that article now.  (Shad was not the focus of their menu, but  it is unusual to see it mentioned at all.)   We have a shad run in Georgia and I suppose it must be one of the earliest in the country each year.  Love's Seafood in Savannah is one of the few places in this state that serves the fish or the roe.  I always check to see if they have it when we visit the Georgia coast.

I never had a problem with bones in the shad served at Love's so I guess someone there knows what they are doing.

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    Re:Shad roe New with photos 2009/05/23 01:10:39 (permalink)
    Yet again, one more delicacy from the Eastern seaboard I miss out on by living in Texas. Ah, the memories of my youth in NY. Oh well, pass the BBQ, please.
    brittneal
    Re:Shad roe New with photos 2009/05/23 04:22:12 (permalink)

Wow, thats an eye opener!  I had never seen shad roe before.   I half expected it to look somewhat look the bluegill roe of my youth.  They were tiny and bright orange with a clay like constancy.  Instead it looked like a couple lobes of goose liver.  Im sure you enjoed it but I dont think I cold ever try it.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8323
    Re:Shad roe New with photos 2009/05/23 12:14:07 (permalink)
    Sure isnt pretty, but i would try it...
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    Re:Shad roe New with photos 2009/05/26 20:10:21 (permalink)
    A correction from my mom, she said grandmother put in a small can of tomato sauce, not tomatoes. She and I talked about how things changed between her living there and my being raised by my grandparents. she said I had it alot easier than she did.

Dennis in Cary

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1