The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Shady Glen's cheeseburger

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
Shady Glen's cheeseburger Wed, 08/13/08 10:45 AM (permalink)
From Ellen's CT trip report:
quote:
Originally posted by ellen4641

SHADY GLEN cheeseburger, with their famous way of doing the cheese!!!

Nice, greasy, SHADY GLEN cheeseburger, "DECONSTRUCTED"*

What kind of cheese does Shady Glen use and what's the cooking process? This it totally new to me and it looks very interesting and tasty.

Brad

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
    RE: Shady Glen's cheeseburger Wed, 08/13/08 10:51 AM (permalink)
    I'm "pretty" sure it's just American cheese, like 4 slices so it can overflow on to the grill and cook. The restaurant was featured on DD&D awhile back. I hope I'm no totally wrong!

rumaki

• Total Posts: 967
      RE: Shady Glen's cheeseburger Wed, 08/13/08 10:57 AM (permalink)
      If you check out the Shady Glen Roadfood Overview, you can see the process at work.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=14

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
        RE: Shady Glen's cheeseburger Wed, 08/13/08 11:02 AM (permalink)
        Thanks, Rumaki. I never would've thought of cooking it like this.

Brad

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
          RE: Shady Glen's cheeseburger Wed, 08/13/08 11:06 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Rusty246

I'm "pretty" sure it's just American cheese, like 4 slices so it can overflow on to the grill and cook. The restaurant was featured on DD&D awhile back. I hope I'm no totally wrong!

Well I WAS wrong about it being featured on DD&D, I didn't find it in the show list, it was on Food Network "something" though.

rumaki

RE: Shady Glen's cheeseburger Wed, 08/13/08 11:07 AM (permalink)
            You're welcome. I, personally, prefer their "cheesefurter," which is prepared essentially the same way. It's wonderful!

buffetbuster

RE: Shady Glen's cheeseburger Wed, 08/13/08 11:22 AM (permalink)
              There are several restaurants in my small hometown (in the north Pittsburgh suburbs) that make an identical cheeseburger. Around here, we call them an "old-fashioned". I think I have a few photos somewhere. If I can find them, I will post them.

My lunch today (9/05/08) from the local VFW.

easydoesit

• Total Posts: 470
                RE: Shady Glen's cheeseburger Thu, 08/14/08 6:35 AM (permalink)
                Rusty, you are thinking of the Squeeze Inn in Sacramento CA. They were in DDD, and were voted best burger in town. Their thing is the Squeeze Burger, and this one is called the "Squeeze with Cheese." They have the start of a website.

rossus66

RE: Shady Glen's cheeseburger Mon, 09/1/08 10:51 AM (permalink)
                  I grew up in Connecticut and Shady Glen's was always my favorite cheeseburger. I now live in Chicago and have been trying to duplicate it at home for years without success. The secret might be the grill temperature. Anyway, even though I'll be in New England September 21-25 on a "fried clams vacation", I have to make one exception and stop for the Shady Glen cheeseburger. It'll be the first time I've had one in over 30 years and ever since I found out they're still in business I've been dreaming about it.
                  Mmmmmmmmmm!

Ciaoman

• Total Posts: 375
                    RE: Shady Glen's cheeseburger Mon, 08/17/09 8:32 AM (permalink)
                    I was brought up in Manchester, CT and have been to Shady Glen many times.  Back in the day, the choices for burgers were pretty much limited to Shady Glen, Friendly's (before Hershey bought them) and DC's Drive In.  This past weekend, after at least 35 years, I stopped at Shady Glen for a Cburger.  What I found there confirms that Friendly's--my choice back then--was the right choice.

The food was, at best, blah.  Frozen fries.  The burger?  Tasted like nothing...no juice, no beef flavor.  Frozen patties?  I wouldn't doubt it.  And the vaunted cheese "skirt?"  Tastes like greasy Cheetos.  Even worse, stepping into the place is like stepping into a time machine...nothing seems to have changed.  The white-hatted, bow tied guys; the uniformed girls.  So antiseptic.  Not a hint of personality.  I just don't get why this place is a big deal.  The fifties are over!

Ciaoman

RE: Shady Glen's cheeseburger Mon, 08/17/09 9:01 AM (permalink)
                      Oops, forgot to mention...the cheeseburger was accompanied by one (count 'em) pickle chip.  Aah, nostalgia!

Just under 10 bucks for this feast.  It may be heresy, but I'd take Burger K over Shady's.

mrphil

• Total Posts: 74
                        RE: Shady Glen's cheeseburger Mon, 08/17/09 9:19 AM (permalink)
                        We stopped here on our way to VT (tend to pick a burger place- even when it's out of the way - Teds, White Hut, etc.)  While it was pretty interesting, It was pretty expensive for what it was.

My wife commented it had 50's ambiance with 2000's prices.  I have to agree with Ciaoman's assesment of the food. I wish we had gone to Teds.

rumaki

RE: Shady Glen's cheeseburger Mon, 08/17/09 10:44 AM (permalink)
                          I guess you either like the ambiance at Shady Glen, or you don't. 

Personally, I love genuine "retro" places that have maintained their traditional atmosphere, as opposed to pseudo-retro places, like Johnny Rockets.  I love that they bring you a little waxed paper cup of water when you sit down.  I love the cheesefurters.  And their ice cream is delicious.

Chacun a son gout. 

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
                            RE: Shady Glen's cheeseburger Mon, 08/17/09 11:24 AM (permalink)

American cheese and a slow griddle:

I think you have to cook this burger thoroughly due to the melting cheese.  It may be a good idea to avoid moisture as I had to deal with juices that were interfering with the cheese solidifying. It worked out pretty good...

mark

ayersian

RE: Shady Glen's cheeseburger Mon, 08/17/09 11:37 AM (permalink)
                              Mark, that looks like a great burger -- and my stomach says so, too!  The last time we ate at Shady Glen, we sat in the booth closest to the grill, so we got to watch the magic happen.  The cook uses a pot lid to cover each cheeseburger while it's cooking (like many cooks do with these burgers) for steaming.  And I know SG uses a special kind of American cheese that they won't disclose, probably made for this application.    Chris

rossus66

RE: Shady Glen's cheeseburger Mon, 08/17/09 11:54 AM (permalink)
                                rumaki

I guess you either like the ambiance at Shady Glen, or you don't. 

Personally, I love genuine "retro" places that have maintained their traditional atmosphere, as opposed to pseudo-retro places, like Johnny Rockets.  I love that they bring you a little waxed paper cup of water when you sit down.  I love the cheesefurters.  And their ice cream is delicious.

Chacun a son gout. 

I'm with you Rumaki. I went there last year for the first time in 30 years and I could not believe that it was exactly the same as I remembered it. That is unheard of these days!!! The cheeseburger may not be the best I've ever had in my life, but it sure brought back memories and it certainly is unique. I loved it!

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
                                  RE: Shady Glen's cheeseburger Mon, 08/17/09 12:45 PM (permalink)

Thanks Chris,

I have the opportunity to try this where I am working.  I just am not ready to reveal this one yet.
                                  I have been practicing with melting the cheese. It is with the burgers I am working with that made me comment about juiciness.

mark

mrphil

• Total Posts: 74
                                    RE: Shady Glen's cheeseburger Mon, 08/17/09 1:01 PM (permalink)
                                    That's exactly what I liked about it, the little wax paper cups, the uniforms, the seltzer water from the old fashion pump, the way tey bring the condiments. It really invoked an old time feel and it seemed genuine (not a shtick) But I just wish I felt the same about the food.

douginvirginia

• Total Posts: 462
                                      RE: Shady Glen's cheeseburger Tue, 08/18/09 6:26 AM (permalink)
                                      I'm in complete agreement with mrphil.

We stopped there a few weeks ago on our way back from Maine. I'm glad I've seen and done it, but the cheeseburger was pathetic.

Ciaoman

RE: Shady Glen's cheeseburger Wed, 08/19/09 12:03 PM (permalink)
                                        "Pathetic" is the perfect description.  This place is clearly a case of form over substance.  (Let's see, little cups of water, one pickle chip with a $5 cheeseburger, frozen fries, a "small" Coke that's really small...do I see a pattern of Yankee thriftiness here?)

rumaki

RE: Shady Glen's cheeseburger Wed, 08/19/09 12:12 PM (permalink)
                                          Obviously not your cup of tea.  Some of us like it.  Obviously, you do not.

Did you even try the ice cream?

Ciaoman

RE: Shady Glen's cheeseburger Thu, 08/20/09 7:57 AM (permalink)
                                            Truthfully, not this past time.  But I do recall that the ice cream was good.  I also seem to remember that the toppings--in particular, the hot fudge--was nothing special.  In contrast, I remember clearly that Friendly's was making its own hot fudge at the time and it was outstanding. 

I guess I was disappointed by my lunch at Shady Glen--I had hoped that it had improved over the years in light of the favorable comments about the food on this site.

stanpnepa

• Total Posts: 577
                                              • Location: Wyoming (Scranton/Wi, PA
                                              RE: Shady Glen's cheeseburger Thu, 08/20/09 8:14 AM (permalink)
                                              We were at Shady Glen four or five years ago - and at the time one of the owners had passed away.  It was a late night dinner of steamed cheeseburgers, fries and ice cream.  I gave it a "four out of five" in my foodie notebook - with the atmosphere a plus. 

Sounds like the place has "stayed the same" for returning customers - so next time through - I won't be going to Friendly's!  

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                • No New Messages
                                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                • Read Message
                                                • Post New Thread
                                                • Reply to message
                                                • Post New Poll
                                                • Submit Vote
                                                • Post reward post
                                                • Delete my own posts
                                                • Delete my own threads
                                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com