Shaffer Farm Tennessee BBQ Meeting

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10398
RE: Shaffer Farm Tennessee BBQ Meeting 2008/10/28 05:59:23 (permalink)
Coincidentally, I am flying into Memphis on Friday night. My plan was to head into Arkansas for an extended weekend. Unfortunately, I already have all my hotel and dinner reservations made. Let me see what I can do. It sure would be great to see all of you again.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Shaffer Farm Tennessee BBQ Meeting 2008/10/28 06:01:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by The Travelin Man

Wait! Lee Meriwether is going to be there? Count me in.

That would be purrrrr-fect!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13522
RE: Shaffer Farm Tennessee BBQ Meeting 2008/10/28 06:08:57 (permalink)
The Hen Peck market sounds like a very neat place. Their web site was really neat and their desserts will be very tempting but I will have to hold out in order to enjoy the BBQ.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3759
RE: Shaffer Farm Tennessee BBQ Meeting 2008/10/28 10:18:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by buffetbuster

Coincidentally, I am flying into Memphis on Friday night. My plan was to head into Arkansas for an extended weekend. Unfortunately, I already have all my hotel and dinner reservations made. Let me see what I can do. It sure would be great to see all of you again.

A weekend with your BBQ-chomping buddies trumps Arkansas any day of the week - unless one of your planned stops is/was Doe's Eat Place in Little Rock. I would have a hard time trying to talk you out of that after my experience there a couple of weeks ago.

If it is any further encouragement, I am around all Sunday (and all Monday, too, for that matter), as I am grabbing a vacation day in the middle of all of my work travel hell.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15303
RE: Shaffer Farm Tennessee BBQ Meeting 2008/10/28 17:06:06 (permalink)

I made an error in posting the directions to the HenPeck Market. Take Exit 61 off of I-65 (not Exit 59 as previously posted) Other wise the directions once you leave the interstate are correct.

This is shaping up to be a good day-trip.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Shaffer Farm Tennessee BBQ Meeting 2008/10/28 17:39:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by The Travelin Man

quote:

A weekend with your BBQ-chomping buddies trumps Arkansas any day of the week - unless one of your planned stops is/was Doe's Eat Place in Little Rock. I would have a hard time trying to talk you out of that after my experience there a couple of weeks ago.

If it is any further encouragement, I am around all Sunday (and all Monday, too, for that matter), as I am grabbing a vacation day in the middle of all of my work travel hell.

I hope BB is a show. This should be a great group. I am still debating on overnighting I guess it depends on the evening plans.

I talked with PP today and he indicated that 10 folks will be there.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Poverty Pete
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2314
RE: Shaffer Farm Tennessee BBQ Meeting 2008/10/28 18:55:40 (permalink)
Paul, it looks like the evening plan are to burger out at Rotier's. If people would prefer to carry on the bbq motif, I have a backup plan.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Shaffer Farm Tennessee BBQ Meeting 2008/10/28 19:14:15 (permalink)

The Supper session is back up towards Nashville, Right??? After Supper Jan and I will be headed North for home. This looks like a really fun day!

wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7896
RE: Shaffer Farm Tennessee BBQ Meeting 2008/10/28 19:35:51 (permalink)
Have a good time all.

Would love to be there, but lack of vacation time/finances and my ballooning 20 lbs since the June baseball trip back to 235lbs won't make that happen.

Although thankfully I'm nowhere near the 255-275 range I was in before hand " />

mlinkinhoker
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 183
RE: Shaffer Farm Tennessee BBQ Meeting 2008/10/28 20:11:18 (permalink)
I'm still trying to figure out how to wiggle out of my 'husband's' plans for me Saturday so I can join you all - after all it's his alumni association, not mine, right?

Henpeck is still one of my all time favorites around town and I always wind up taking several pieces of desserts to take home along with another bag of goodies you can't find other places (Oh - there is another place on Ashland City Highway north/northeast of Nashville that is a huge log cabin store with fried bologna sandwiches among other things coming out of the restaurant and lots of hard to find candies, sodas, and snacks as well as rocking chairs on the porch, a place to launch your canoe, and live bluegrass music on the deck on weekends).

PP don't forget about Martin's if you all want to keep the bbq theme going on Friday or Saturday night - and if you do that, let me know and I'll try to call ahead and set it all up so everyone is taken very good care of! Or you know, Saturday could go something like this - Henpeck, Shaffer's, back up to 840 and over to Arrington Vineyard for a 'few' samples (they have live music on Sat & you can get picnics from Henpeck) and then on up Nolensville Road to Martin's
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10324
RE: Shaffer Farm Tennessee BBQ Meeting 2008/10/28 21:10:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mlinkinhoker

I'm (Oh - there is another place on Ashland City Highway north/northeast of Nashville that is a huge log cabin store with fried bologna sandwiches among other things coming out of the restaurant and lots of hard to find candies, sodas, and snacks as well as rocking chairs on the porch, a place to launch your canoe, and live bluegrass music on the deck on weekends).

What's the name of this place and provide any other info!!
Poverty Pete
RE: Shaffer Farm Tennessee BBQ Meeting 2008/10/28 21:37:09 (permalink)
Melissa, are you talking about Lewis's Country Store? That's an interesting place.
I had a baloney sandwich today at Neely's on the river. It was better than the pulled pork
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3916
RE: Shaffer Farm Tennessee BBQ Meeting 2008/10/29 01:59:04 (permalink)
Well might have to get there myself. Live in Lawrenceburg. Shaffer's is an off take of White's Meat Mkt. The smoker and restaurant have not been there to long but the market has been there for a couple years.
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
RE: Shaffer Farm Tennessee BBQ Meeting 2008/10/29 02:15:28 (permalink)
quote:

My initial reaction would be suspicion for a place advertising Texas Bar-B-Q in Tennessee. But if Poverty Pete likes it, that is good enough for me. Lots of interesting things on the menu I would love to try, including the smoked balony (their spelling). Three different types of slaw gets my attention, too.

BB The mustard slaw is big here, touch of horseradish in the back ground, vinegar is like your pepper cabbage, and reg. cole slaw. There is mustard slaw everywhere here. Best is in Florence,AL.,
Bunyon's BBQ real spicy.
Poverty Pete
RE: Shaffer Farm Tennessee BBQ Meeting 2008/10/29 04:13:55 (permalink)
Curbside. Come on up. Noon on Saturday.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Shaffer Farm Tennessee BBQ Meeting 2008/10/29 06:57:37 (permalink)
Melissa and Curbside, We hope you'll join us. If you can't arrange for the whole day, plan to be at HenPeck Market or Shaffer Farms at the right times and share some time there !!

Keep an eye out for a dark red Ford Supercreww with two Scotties sniffing out the windows at any of the locations on the list for the day. Janet and I are really up for this trip...The forecast is for Sunny and upper 60's and we want to get out for a good ride.
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
RE: Shaffer Farm Tennessee BBQ Meeting 2008/10/29 08:27:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

I think a Halloween Trick-Or-Treat BBQ visit may be in order. Do you think we can get him to do some Beef Ribs for our visit?? I love BBQ Beef Ribs !!

Steve, How does the sausage compare to that done by Louis Muellers (my Favorite), or Blacks BBQ?

EDIT

OK After checking with my companion, upon her return from a visit to family in North Carolina, We have locked in November 1st as a day trip down to This new Mecca of Texas-Style BBQ and meat creator in Tennessee. It will have to be a day trip for us, but while it will be a "LONG" day, we can do it easily enough. We may even find time to visit the Memorial to Meriwether Lewis on the Natchez Trace, a short distance from Summertown.

Ok mark your calender next year second full weekend Oct. Art& Craft fair at the park and flea market from summertown to hohenwald all weekend. Just worked it. Hohenwald Octfest everything is an annual event.
Had a thread on this inprofession forums called Long Flea Mkt.
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
RE: Shaffer Farm Tennessee BBQ Meeting 2008/10/29 09:24:14 (permalink)
Mlinkinhoker
That winery Arrington, is this the one that, Brookes from Brookes and Dunn ownes, might be other way. Have to get up there. Off of 840, see it from highway.

Will also have maps for people who would like to scout out the Amish goods. Shows where to go for what. Emissions on the road are not marked. Can also provide some other treats from our area. Chocolate gravy mix for that biscuit and a BBQ sauce with Horseradish. Believe or not a dollop on a Good Ribeye unreal. Vested interest in that product and would like comments. Let me know how many.

Will call ahead and ask for more beef ribs, they allways come thru, will not be home till tomorrow mornig, love these myself.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6442
RE: Shaffer Farm Tennessee BBQ Meeting 2008/10/29 17:29:41 (permalink)
So....

Henpeck Market @ 8:30
Shaffer's @ 11:15 ish

so where is supper/dinner??

(I am trying to get my son on Friday after school, then maybe we could make it.......)
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Shaffer Farm Tennessee BBQ Meeting 2008/10/29 17:50:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CajunKing

So....

Henpeck Market @ 8:30
Shaffer's @ 11:15 ish

so where is supper/dinner??

(I am trying to get my son on Friday after school, then maybe we could make it.......)

Cajun: you got that right and we are looking forward to seeing you again. It has been February since we saw you. You got the schedule down pretty good. Al may be there sooner but I will be pretty much on time as I am leaving Knoxville around 7:00 eastern.

I think folks are getting together at Rotier's for burgers and other southern food for dinner.

http://www.rotiers.com/menu.html

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Shaffer Farm Tennessee BBQ Meeting 2008/10/29 19:01:43 (permalink)
Cajun...

PP told the folks to be there by noon at Shaffer Farm. Some may be early and TTM may stagger in a bit later...No Matter! We will be at HenPeck for an hour or so, then wend our way S W . I expect we'll be at Shaffer BBQ for a considerable amount of time. The Supper stop is back up in Nashville.
mlinkinhoker
Cheeseburger
RE: Shaffer Farm Tennessee BBQ Meeting 2008/10/30 22:41:30 (permalink)
Let's see - Lewis' sounds right.

Never thought Neely's Q was all that good but it's been a long while since I have been there - stick to the wings, that's all I used to get there.

Our plans for Saturday have changed. Think I will drag DH down to Henpeck for breakfast and then head over to his stupid retreat so I won't be doing lunch. If Ihave to do his stupid thing, he has to do at least part of mine, right? Or should I get up and take a swig of ipicac around 3am Saturday morning to get out of his thing - would it wear off in time for lunch????
Is Rotier's for Friday night? If so, we might can join you all.

Yes Kix Brooks of Brooks and Dunn is one of the three owners of Arrington. It's a pretty nice place with some pretty serious wines. It was started less than a mile from me back around 2000 and grew into Arrington. They are having some Halloween festivities down there tomorrow night and live music and as always, live music on Saturday and Sunday late afternoons.

Is Rotiers the plan for Friday or Saturday night - if it's Friday - might be able to join you. And if you do something Sunday for brunch, might be able to swing that.

Is there anything I need to stop at between here and Center Hill taking the following route
I-65 South to I-840 to Exit 61
• Turn right (east) onto W. Jefferson Pike & go to Lacassas Pike (Rt-96) (9 mi)
• Turn left (east) onto Lacassas Pike (Rt-96) & go until it ends at SR-70 (25 mi)
• Turn right onto SR-70, through Smithville, cross Sligo Bridge to Billings Rd (marked by River Watch Golf Course) (24 mi)

Poverty Pete
RE: Shaffer Farm Tennessee BBQ Meeting 2008/10/30 23:43:06 (permalink)
Rotier's is probably going to be Saturday night.
I don't know of anything extraordinary along that route, but there are two places that are decent. Just before you get to Watertown, there is a c-store on the right that has good fried chicken if it's fresh. In Liberty, there's a place on the left that makes a nice burger.
If Paul stays the night on Saturday, I'm thinking of Sunday brunch at Ellendale's. I know Travellin' Man would be up for it.
Hey, does anybody know whether Buffetbuster is going to grace us with his company.
Oops, I see now you're not going through Watertown.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3759
RE: Shaffer Farm Tennessee BBQ Meeting 2008/10/31 01:12:13 (permalink)
Folks -

My flight arrives at BNA at 10:30 am on Saturday morning. I will have no checked bags and a rental car waiting with my name on it for me to hop in and go. Barring my awful sense of direction or other catastrophe, I should make it to the destination lunch ~noonish. I have cell phone numbers for PP and the Mayor and will keep you posted should something go awry.

I will likely have a buddy with me. He is deciding if he can break away from law school long enough to join us for some 'nanner puddin' and other treats. Sorry for the late notice, but I likely won't know if he's showing up until I land in Nashville. He's OK, though - not like me - he's a republican.

I am in for Rotier's on Saturday evening and whatever options come available for breakfast on Sunday. Ellendale's was the place where we went the day after the Nashville bus tour, no? I am going to angle myself for an evening visit (fried chicken, hello!) to Loveless maybe on Sunday night and possibly Pancake Pantry for Monday morning breakfast and Arnold's for Monday afternoon lunch for anyone who is not departing on a short schedule, you are surely welcome to join.

I have it on good authority that Buffetbuster will (regrettably) not be joining us on this adventure. He sends his well wishes. Who knows? We may have a guest appearance by phone?

Lastly, can I assume that since we have a quorum for this event, proper Roadfood attire will be the order of the day?
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Shaffer Farm Tennessee BBQ Meeting 2008/10/31 09:02:36 (permalink)
TTM
The Mayor and His Blushing Bride will be attired in BRAND NEW Matching Hawaiian Shirts. But if you ever checked your phone messages, you would know that !!

Your schedule is noted, bring the friend or not, whatever works for you. There is room for guests at the stops on this event! This is much more casual than the formal Glee Club February Meeting.

Melissa, We'll be at HenPeck by 8:30 tomorrow(!!) morning. Look for the big guy with the pretty blonde hanging on him...I'll be the guy sitting there watching him with foggy memories in my eye !! If you want extra brownie points, bring a dog-biscuit for each of the Scotties. They love to meet new friends who bring snacks!

We will have PP riding with us. So either his or my cell phone will be active all the time. I plan to leave Louisville about 5:30AM for the three hour run to HenPeck (including the stop to pick up PP and the time difference.)

See you guys tomorrow.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Shaffer Farm Tennessee BBQ Meeting 2008/10/31 09:11:31 (permalink)
Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to join everyone on Saturday. I just had too many plans already in the works, heading in the other direction. It would have been great to see some of my favorite Roadfood people. And Travelin Man, too!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Shaffer Farm Tennessee BBQ Meeting 2008/10/31 10:01:20 (permalink)

BB

(Bummer!)

AL
mlinkinhoker
Cheeseburger
RE: Shaffer Farm Tennessee BBQ Meeting 2008/10/31 10:11:53 (permalink)
Well if you all get lucky, I am going to try to make a batch of my now newly famous candied bacon toffee - got to get you all going on a sugar rush for the drive to Shaffer's. I will definitely see you tomorrow morning with bells on. Mayor - I remember you well - can't forget you and that HUGE margarita. However, I don't have anyone's cell phone numbers unless you have sent them to me since last night.

Looking forward to it!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Shaffer Farm Tennessee BBQ Meeting 2008/10/31 12:06:33 (permalink)
Melissa,
Check your email now for cell information. I have very fond memories of those Margaritas !! See you tomorrow!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Shaffer Farm Tennessee BBQ Meeting 2008/10/31 12:16:54 (permalink)
As the Mayor advised, I now have my Hawaii shirt available. Iwanago also has one available. I guess this is in honor of our missing friend, Bushie?

We will be dressed for the event, however the Sundancer will proably have Bermuda desert shorts on.

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1