Shaken, not Stirred

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 12
Author
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5475
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/19 04:42:55 (permalink)
I too enjoy the occasional dry martini as well as a nice gin and tonic. I discovered many years ago that my head doesn't tolerate cheap gin. When I drink a lesser gin I get an awful headache very soon. So for the poorer years I had to abstain the majority of time.

Now that life is flush I can afford the occasional call martini. I usually order Tanqueray but after reading here I'll try Bombay Sapphire.

Any other recomendations on quality gin?
Grampy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/19 09:16:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MikeSh

I too enjoy the occasional dry martini as well as a nice gin and tonic. I discovered many years ago that my head doesn't tolerate cheap gin. When I drink a lesser gin I get an awful headache very soon. So for the poorer years I had to abstain the majority of time.

Now that life is flush I can afford the occasional call martini. I usually order Tanqueray but after reading here I'll try Bombay Sapphire.

Any other recomendations on quality gin?

Beefeater is an old stand-by, very crisp and very clean for Martinis. I have had a penchant of late for Plymouth, a very traditional British gin made available here only a few years ago, but it is almost twice the price. Otherwise, I rotate and have Bombay Sapphire. On occasion, I do buy a bottle of Boodles, which is not as crisp as Beefeater, but not as floral as Tanqueray. And if you like that floral, or botanical side of Tanqueray, try Tanqueray 10. Otherwise, for a G&T, I keep a bottle of Gordon's in the freezer. Given my druthers (read, better wages) the choice for a G&T would be regular Bombay.
i95
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/19 09:23:52 (permalink)
Label me a multi-tasker but I have always found that a swig of Grey Goose vodka accompanied by just a whiff of Martini & Rossi's Vermouth then someone shaking ME has always been my favorite Martini.

I hope I haven't stirred anyone up with this contribution
Grampy
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/19 09:32:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by i95

Label me a multi-tasker but I have always found that a swig of Grey Goose vodka accompanied by just a whiff of Martini & Rossi's Vermouth then someone shaking ME has always been my favorite Martini.

I hope I haven't stirred anyone up with this contribution

Well, that's certainly a new twist.

BTW, I do like Boissière vermouth. Originally it came from France, but it now comes from Italy.
SharonTriv
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 44
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/19 10:32:21 (permalink)
I am partial to Beefeater's gin, though Tangueray or Bombay Sapphire also do nicely. My method is a silver shaker, some ice in the shaker over which gin and a tiny splash of vermouth are slowly poured. Then a few rigorous, rhythmic shakes and into the freezer (along with the Martini glasses), for about 10 minutes or so. The Martini is then served "up" with a couple of olives thrown in. I allow about 2 ozs. of gin per drink, but the limit is one! A Friday night ritual at our house.

I like a good Cosmopolitan, too, but I wouldn't put it in the same league with a Martini.
alesrus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 293
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/19 11:48:34 (permalink)
Any one heard of a "Dirty Martini" I had one at a place called Dave and Busters in N.Y. state. They are made with vodka and a splash of olive juice. I think the olives are soaked in vermouth.
Grampy
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/19 11:56:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by alesrus

Any one heard of a "Dirty Martini" I had one at a place called Dave and Busters in N.Y. State it is vodka with a splash of olive juice.

That's right, and there's not much else to it -- just a drop or two of olive brine. And the key is in the brine from the olives. Only use a little liquid from the best olives of your choice. Stay away from olive liquid that has a trace of olive oil. Also, if you use liquid from vermouth-laced olives, you will probably not need to add vermouth to the Martini. Cracked Greek olive brine strikes me as the best for a dirty Martini.
Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/19 12:00:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by SharonTriv

I allow about 2 ozs. of gin per drink, but the limit is one! A Friday night ritual at our house.

Party pooper!
alesrus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 293
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/19 12:02:36 (permalink)
Thanks Grampy. I must have been editing my post as you were typing yours. I will have to try it with the greek olives.
Willly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 396
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/19 13:07:12 (permalink)
Bombay, or if I'm feeling rich, Sapphire. 10-1 to 8-1 with vermouth -- Straight gin is not a martini IMO. I stir, I usually have two olives and a piece of lemon peel. A non-oversize maritini glass is great. It's small enough that the drink is still cold at the end, and small enough that I get to enjoy making a second or third!

Johnny Walker Black on non-martini nights...
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/19 14:02:09 (permalink)
I am disappointed that there is no interest in giving a name to that poor little bastard made with Vodka. will no one own up to being its parent?

Mike Sh: for what it's worth: Cheap gin has mostly artificial flavoring- usually the Juniper is genuine. The chemicals in the artificial flavorings may have caused your headache. But, you should know that many of the botanicals used to flavor high end gins are toxic to humans - but probably not in the quantities found in our Martinis.
I personally thrive on cheap Gin , but I am happy to have a quality bottle whenever good fortune smiles on me.In any case I think death by Martini would not be a bad way to go.

Aelsrus: We experimented in our careless youth (read 1950s) ; with adding olive juice to our Martini. It was dirty - so we never did it again - it was a good drink ruined!

Bushie: Just what we'd expect from a Texan!

Love to all, CHEERS!
chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/19 16:13:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

I am disappointed that there is no interest in giving a name to that poor little bastard made with Vodka.

I see that your rules do not state that there is only one name per contestant so I am entering several names and may think of more!

CHICKENLESS KIEV

KAMCHATKA ROT GUT

KREMLIN KOOL AID

FARTINI

CAFE AU YELTSIN

POUR US A BORIS

If more entrees are needed, I will put on my thinking cap!
Cakes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/19 16:37:26 (permalink)
I like POUR US A BORIS
Grampy
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/19 16:45:43 (permalink)
quote:

I am disappointed that there is no interest in giving a name to that poor little bastard made with Vodka. will no one own up to being its parent?

We are assuming the inventor was Russian and not Polish. If the latter were true, I say we call the mix of spirits a Poletergeist.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/19 17:15:37 (permalink)
Seafarer, the first thought I had was, "Well, if it's not a Martini, then it must be a Rossi!" I figured, however, that there was probably already a cocktail called a Rossi, and after a little research, it appears there is an obscure Italian "cocktail" called a Rossi.

So, considering that vodka came from Russia (I thought so, anyway), I submit that we call this drink a Russi.

Actually, since it seems that most people care little about Vermouth, why don't we call it what I do: Vodka on the Rocks.

Whoops! Silly me. We're not talking "on the rocks", are we? I guess that should be, Vodka, Shaken, not Stirred.
oldfrt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 269
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/19 17:46:11 (permalink)
OK, there seems to be two "camps" here, the Martini Gang (Gin) and the Vodka lovers like myself. "Different strokes for different folks" as they say.

One edge for the Vodka folks is I can order a "STOLY UP" and leave out the other gangs' nomenclature of adding the word "Martini". Once I have said that, I get my drink faster as I do not have to answer all the follow up questions like "You want it dry"? "Olives"? "Do you want a specific Gin"?

Here we go:

STOLY UP
STOLY ROCKS
GREY GOOSE UP
GREY GOOSE ON THE ROCKS
etc.

99% of the bartenders, maids, servers, whatever is politically correct these days, will understand what you are looking for. After he/she/it gets back with your drink you can always as for some olives or just reach over the bar and grab some.

Just my 2 cents!

Don (1:1 ratio, Polish and Ukranian. STOLY UP with a potato in it!)

(I wonder if I could stuff a perogi with Stoly. Hmmm.)
Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/19 18:27:12 (permalink)
Martinis = Sean Connery (shaken, not stirred)

Vodka martini? Call it a Non-Connery.
Grampy
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/19 18:39:02 (permalink)
quote:

Playing historian for a moment, I see that apparently John Martin, president of Heublein and purchaser of the Smirnoff recipe in 1939, began a push for vodka drinks. He actually gave the vodka Martini a name: the Vodkatini, also known as the Silver Bullet. While that did not catch on, his Moscow Mule did (for those who remember it).
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/19 21:29:17 (permalink)
I'm delighted with all of your responses. Now all we need is for The Mayor to do his duty and get the judging panel in business. As soon as he does that my check will be on its way to him.

Also, no limit on responses - make all you want.

Vodkatini??? That man should have been drowned in olive juice!

I already like FARTINI, but, NEW RULE . "TINI" absolutely cannot be
a part of the winning name for the little bastard. (No pun intended on ABSOLUT)

I also like the play on BORIS, and I like RUSSI, But I'm not part of the selection committee, so my vote dont count!
Grampy
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/19 22:15:25 (permalink)
I'll beg off the proper name for the nonce, but how about the dirty olive version as "A Vulgar Boatman"?
Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/19 23:24:51 (permalink)
How about the "Babushka Buster"?
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/20 00:37:36 (permalink)
A few random observations:

• We like Tanqueray #10 at my place
  • Martinis are made with gin and dry vermouth and an olive or two
  • An olive may be stuffed with jalapeño
  • Martinis have no sugar or color
  • Vodka and vermouth constitute what we [temporarily] will call a vodka martini
  • "Gin is the only alcoholic beverage of which price can be used to gauge quality." Dunno who said it, but it seems true
  • A martini can be too dry

• I was told that the Gibson is named for a British diplomat (early 20th-century?) who hosted many parties but wanted always to be on his toes. He therefore instructed his bartender to serve him plain water, placing a onion in it so he could identify it. Having said that, a Gibson around my house is made with gin.

Me? Wild Turkey or Oban with a splash of soda and a bit of ice.

MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5475
    RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/20 04:55:03 (permalink)
    Well after a very ****ty night at work I made a rare stop at a local waterin hole Wed morning. After having been in this thread I wanted to try Bombay Sapphire but alas they "only" had Tanqueray for the good stuff. So I made do with a shot on the rocks, a ham&cheese omellete with toast and then a Tanqueray&tonic for dessert.

Many years ago, June of 1984, when I first went to working graveyard I refused to drink in the mornings after work. Rationale then was that only drunks drink at 8AM. After about a year I realized that 8am to me is what 5pm is to you'al, so I will imbibe occasionally.

MikeS.
    SharonTriv
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/20 08:42:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

quote:
    Originally posted by SharonTriv

I allow about 2 ozs. of gin per drink, but the limit is one! A Friday night ritual at our house.

Party pooper!

LoneStar--

Did I neglect to say that we follow up that one Martini by opening a good bottle of wine?
    Grampy
    RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/20 09:12:51 (permalink)
    [quoteI was told that the Gibson is named for a British diplomat (early 20th-century?) who hosted many parties but wanted always to be on his toes. He therefore instructed his bartender to serve him plain water, placing a onion in it so he could identify it. Having said that, a Gibson around my house is made with gin.

The first Gibson appeared around 1930, named for the American cartoonist Charles Dana Gibson of "Gibson Girl" fame. The "why" has two variations: 1. Players Bar in NYC ran out of olives, and bartender Charley Connolly substituted two tiny white onions. 2. Gibson was on deadline and did not want to get too tipsy. He secretly asked that a different garnish be put in his Martini glasses of plain water, so they would not be confused with the real Martinis brought to the table.
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/20 09:54:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Grampy

The first Gibson appeared around 1930, named for the American cartoonist Charles Dana Gibson of "Gibson Girl" fame. The "why" has two variations: 1. Players Bar in NYC ran out of olives, and bartender Charley Connolly substituted two tiny white onions. 2. Gibson was on deadline and did not want to get too tipsy. He secretly asked that a different garnish be put in his Martini glasses of plain water, so they would not be confused with the real Martinis brought to the table.
    Many thanks. I'll pass it on to my source.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/20 10:30:38 (permalink)
    Love that "Vulgar Boatman" - perfect - too bad I'll never be able to walk up to a bar and order one - it's just something this Martini
    Puritan can't do. But I encourage all of you might do so to do it- it ought to catch on in no time

Agree with Grampy on the origin of "Gibson", but had never before heard the part about it being a subterfuge. Just what kind of a wimpy fake was that Charles Dana Gibson? (always beware of guys with three last names).
    Grampy
    RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/20 10:37:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Just what kind of a wimpy fake was that Charles Dana Gibson? (always beware of guys with three last names).

Especially guys with three last names that could also be three first or middle names. I thought that sort of thing was reserved for college presidents and assassins.
    dendan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/20 10:54:05 (permalink)
    quote:

Vodka martini? Call it a Non-Connery.

It's settled then...we call it a 003.5...not quite good enough be a 007.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/20 22:15:38 (permalink)
    Seafarer, I made myself a couple of "Russis" tonight using Tanqueray Sterling Vodka, about 4 to 1. You'll be disappointed in me, but I had some "Blair's Death Garden" giardiniera (originally recommended to me by a former poster on this site), and I floated a big piece of pickled cauliflower in there.

As you said before, "G-d Save Us"!
    Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 12
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1