Shaken, not Stirred

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 12
Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15303
  • Joined: 2002/08/20 22:32:00
  • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
  • Status: offline
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/20 22:49:37 (permalink)
OK, I'll do it...but I see that my two sidekicks.. The Footloose Sundancer and the Bushmaster have already contributed their humble (and I do mean humble) opinions, so I am not sure if there is any objectivity left to be fair. If they will assist me I think we have the basis for a fair and non-biased selection committee.
Since I am quick to admit that I am not one who seeks out clear-transparent beverages (exception made for Tequila and some schnapps)So we will judge the new label for it's Creativity, Originality and Relevance to the topic of the website (and that is...)Suitablity for a civilized but not stuffy-yuppie conversation anywhere in the U S A . Mark and Paul --You are appointed, Contact me offsite if you honestly can't stand the idea of doing this. The committee will require that the Winner buy the first round when the prize is awarded.....even if that is done "..in absencia".POST 999- What a teaser...Wait'll next time !
#61
Pwingsx
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2170
  • Joined: 2003/05/15 17:58:00
  • Location: Somewhere in time...and Colorado
  • Status: offline
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/20 23:20:51 (permalink)
dendan -- LOL!

Thanks -- I didn't feel like my little pun was totally complete. You finished it off nicely.
#62
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 924
  • Joined: 2003/11/13 13:09:00
  • Location: Chapel Hill, NC
  • Status: offline
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/21 04:45:01 (permalink)
Watching a "Thirsty Traveler" show a few weeks ago, a quote on martinis came up. From an English explorer working in the Arctic. He was asked what his basic kit for being rescued was:

"I always carry gin, vermouth and olives. If I am ever stranded, I start mixing a martini. In no time, someone will come along, telling me how I can do it better."
#63
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
  • Joined: 2001/04/21 19:15:00
  • Location: Round Rock, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/21 08:37:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Mark and Paul --You are appointed, Contact me offsite if you honestly can't stand the idea of doing this. The committee will require that the Winner buy the first round when the prize is awarded.....even if that is done "..in absencia".

I will be happy to serve my Forums, and as always, I'll be fair and balanced.

Honestly, I will promise not to vote for my own submission, "Russi", so it would have to be a 2 to 1 vote if that wins.

Let's have some more submissions, now that this thing is taking flight!
#64
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
  • Joined: 2001/04/21 19:15:00
  • Location: Round Rock, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/21 08:39:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by GordonW

Watching a "Thirsty Traveler" show a few weeks ago, a quote on martinis came up. From an English explorer working in the Arctic. He was asked what his basic kit for being rescued was:

"I always carry gin, vermouth and olives. If I am ever stranded, I start mixing a martini. In no time, someone will come along, telling me how I can do it better."

LOL!
#65
dendan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 479
  • Joined: 2003/10/30 12:30:00
  • Location: Hickory, NC
  • Status: offline
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/21 08:58:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pwingsx

dendan -- LOL!

Thanks -- I didn't feel like my little pun was totally complete. You finished it off nicely.


A fleeting moment of poetry!
#66
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
  • Joined: 2003/03/24 18:58:00
  • Location: New Paltz, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/21 11:38:01 (permalink)
Bushie: Your irreverance for the sacred Martini is sublime and I have to salute you - not with three fingers at the forehead, not with a middle finger, but with an innocent thumb to the nose.

Thanks very much to the Mayor for signing on - this looks like fun.

At a local Italian Restaurant, "La Satzione", I had an excellent Martini with three unstuffed olives. The Martinis were ordered by another member of our party so I did not know what , if anything, had been specified. I learned yesterday, by questioning the bartender, that he uses Plymouth Gin and Boissiere Vermouth (recommended by
Grampy in a recent note) in his Martinis - and STIRS them. BTW, a local institution was paying the bill, so the best was none too good for me that evening.

#67
Grampy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1559
  • Joined: 2002/10/14 18:22:00
  • Location: Greenfield, MA
  • Status: offline
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/21 11:43:25 (permalink)
Seafarer John:

Where is this Martini Mecca, "La Satzione"?
#68
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
  • Joined: 2003/03/24 18:58:00
  • Location: New Paltz, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/21 12:17:26 (permalink)
Grampy: In historic downtown New Paltz, NY in the twice abandoned railroad station. A bit pricy, but very good.

New Paltz is at exit 18 of the NEW York State Thruway (the Dewey Threwy).
#69
Grampy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1559
  • Joined: 2002/10/14 18:22:00
  • Location: Greenfield, MA
  • Status: offline
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/21 12:27:24 (permalink)
Seafarer John:

Thanks. That's not far from Western Mass. I may make a detour on the way back from NYC. Any place that serves something that has taken me many a year to perfect is worth the detour. Do try Harry's in the Sherry Netherlands in NYC. But go at cocktail hour, when the drinks are cheaper and they serve appetizers gratis. Between the afternoon glow from the light and the Martinis, coupled with the aromas from the kitchen, you'll get as close to heaven as possible on this orb. Don't bother trying to stay for dinner. Looking at the menu made me realize I would need to sell my first-born. I had to settle for second-hand scent. P.S. a jacket is required.
#70
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13522
  • Joined: 2001/07/18 14:10:00
  • Location: Knoxville, TN,
  • Status: offline
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/21 12:38:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

OK, I'll do it...but I see that my two sidekicks.. The Footloose Sundancer and the Bushmaster have already contributed their humble (and I do mean humble) opinions, so I am not sure if there is any objectivity left to be fair. If they will assist me I think we have the basis for a fair and non-biased selection committee.
Since I am quick to admit that I am not one who seeks out clear-transparent beverages (exception made for Tequila and some schnapps)So we will judge the new label for it's Creativity, Originality and Relevance to the topic of the website (and that is...)Suitablity for a civilized but not stuffy-yuppie conversation anywhere in the U S A . Mark and Paul --You are appointed, Contact me offsite if you honestly can't stand the idea of doing this. The committee will require that the Winner buy the first round when the prize is awarded.....even if that is done "..in absencia".
POST 999- What a teaser...Wait'll next time !


Proud to be appointed and glad the bushmaster is with me.

I wish it was 5:00PM and I would go down to the dock which is my favorite place to imbibe and study the subject.

I am glad it is Friday and I will enjoy a glass of Canadian rye.

Just got back to Knoxville from Indy and I made another great stop at Claudia Sanders. Great country ham, fried chicken, mock oysters, green beans. Could not eat the bread cause of Atkins, but it looked good.

Mayor, glad you are a 1,000 post man.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
#71
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15303
  • Joined: 2002/08/20 22:32:00
  • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
  • Status: offline
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/21 13:43:15 (permalink)
OK FOLKS, WE ARE PREPARING FOR THE GRAND CHRISTENING CONTEST.
I AM STARTING A NEW THREAD IN A FEW MINUTES THAT WE WILL ASK, BE LIMITED TO OFFICIAL CONTEST ENTRIES AND COMMUNICATIONS ONLY. THE DISCUSSION OF THE ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF FALLING DOWN FULL OF GIN AS OPPOSED TO KEELING OVER FULL OF VODKA SHOULD REMAIN HERE ON THIS THREAD.?!
IF YOU POSTED SUGGESTIONS ON THE EARLIER PAGES OF THIS THREAD PLEASE RE-ENTER THEM ON THE "OFFICAL ENTRY SITE" IN ORDER TO BE JUDGED WITHOUT A LOT OF SUPPORTING EDITORIAL COMMENTS OR DISGUISED ELECTIONEERING SURROUNDING YOUR SUGGESTION. BE SURE YOUR ENTRY IS CLEARLY MARKED FOR PROPER IDENTIFCATION.
al--NOW TO BE REFERRED TO HIZZHONOR !![
B)]
#72
Grampy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1559
  • Joined: 2002/10/14 18:22:00
  • Location: Greenfield, MA
  • Status: offline
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/21 16:03:37 (permalink)
Is this strictly to christen the vodka Martini with its own appellative, or are we also creating recipes for it and for variations?
#73
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
  • Joined: 2001/04/21 19:15:00
  • Location: Round Rock, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/21 16:08:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen


al--NOW TO BE REFERRED TO HIZZHONOR

Ok, WhosOnHer, should I submit my entry (Russi), or should I turn that over to someone else to submit?
#74
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15303
  • Joined: 2002/08/20 22:32:00
  • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
  • Status: offline
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/21 16:19:14 (permalink)
Bush,
To avoid legal entanglements you should turn your holdings over to a third party.
Grampy- You started this.. I would think the contest would be for the name of the end product. The recipe request is just to make sure the ingredients include the raw material in question as a contibuting factor.
#75
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13522
  • Joined: 2001/07/18 14:10:00
  • Location: Knoxville, TN,
  • Status: offline
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/21 16:26:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen


al--NOW TO BE REFERRED TO HIZZHONOR

Ok, WhosOnHer, should I submit my entry (Russi), or should I turn that over to someone else to submit?


Leave it to Bushie to jazz up any honorable title

Bushie, this is a pretty important assignment and we must avoid any possible conflict of interest however if anyone wants to attempt to influence us, please try

About time to depart for the dock
cause its dadgum near 5:00 o'clock

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

#76
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
  • Joined: 2001/04/21 19:15:00
  • Location: Round Rock, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/21 16:33:45 (permalink)
Ok, the name "Russi" is up for grabs to be submitted on the Contest thread. Who wants it?
#77
chezkatie
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1329
  • Joined: 2001/06/24 11:08:00
  • Location: Baltimore and Florida,
  • Status: offline
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/21 16:35:55 (permalink)
I do...........is it officially mine???? An inquiring mind needs to know.
#78
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
  • Joined: 2001/04/21 19:15:00
  • Location: Round Rock, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/21 16:37:15 (permalink)
chezkatie owns it! Go for it, m'lady.
#79
Grampy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1559
  • Joined: 2002/10/14 18:22:00
  • Location: Greenfield, MA
  • Status: offline
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/21 17:33:48 (permalink)
After giving it some thought – and telling myself I would stay on the wagon until I came up with an appropriate name – this is my suggestion:

A Mae West:
10 parts vodka
1 part vermouth

Shaken and stirred

Two large pimento-stuffed olives

Seeing that vodka is more likely of Polish origin, and not Russian, and that the drink was probably first served in Paris, but popularized here, I decided to steer away from the Russian angle. Like the Martini, it needs to be a classy and a classic. To my mind, though, the Martini is masculine. I reasoned that we would need a yin-yang relationship here, so I believe the drink should be a feminine one. Recalling a line of interrogation in “She Done Him Wrong,” when asked how she was mixed up in all of this, Mae West replied. “Like an olive in a dry Martini.”

Bearing in mind the source of the standard champagne glass, the Mae West should be served in stemmed goblet. Also, I could really see bellying up to the bar and asking for Mae West. It would “bottoms up” a truly distinct meaning. Oh, if you need to ask about the olives, you may not be old enough to order one of these.
#80
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
  • Joined: 2003/03/24 18:58:00
  • Location: New Paltz, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/21 17:34:04 (permalink)
Chezkatie: If "Russi" wins you're gonna have to buy two bottles of Gin.One good one for yourself and a small cheap one for Bushie.

Grampy: the name is for that poor little bastard without a proper name of his own , now improperly called "Vodka Martini" . UGH

If I could enter the contest my suggestion would be - UGH !
#81
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13522
  • Joined: 2001/07/18 14:10:00
  • Location: Knoxville, TN,
  • Status: offline
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/21 17:46:16 (permalink)
Bushie: The creativity is coming in. I suggest that I come to Austin the week of 12/8/03 and meet with you on 12/9/03 in the evening, we can sort of celebrate the winner. Perhaps we can go to your favorite point of libation and really do a taste test and form our own opinion after the fact of the winner. We could start a new series on our opinion.

Maybe the Mayor could fly in and we could all form a taste testing group.

I will be there and perhaps you can pencil me in for the 12/9/03 or 12/10/03.

Bushie, the post are really coming in. I wonder if we can up the ante??? If we got this for $35, what do you think we could do for a couple of T shirts?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
#82
Maynerd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 256
  • Joined: 2003/04/10 22:21:00
  • Location: Dallas, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/21 17:52:36 (permalink)
Most of my watering holes take a martini glass, cram it full of ice. While the glass is chilling, a little vermouth is poured onto the glass. More chilling. Then Gin (or Vodka) is shaken with ice in a shaker. The glass with the ice and vermouth is swirrled and the contents is tossed out. Gin (or vodka) is strained of ice into chilled glass. Garnish added (olive or lemon peel). Served to awaiting thirsty deserving customer (me) with a hint of an ice layer on top. Perfect!
#83
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13522
  • Joined: 2001/07/18 14:10:00
  • Location: Knoxville, TN,
  • Status: offline
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/21 18:03:00 (permalink)
I think it is fun when someone like Grampy comes up with a thread that creates fun like this. I wish I had thought of it. It developed into something that will be fun for several weeks..

Hopefully Bushie and I will enjoy the fruits of the thread.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
#84
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
  • Joined: 2003/03/24 18:58:00
  • Location: New Paltz, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/21 18:05:46 (permalink)
Maynerd: I hope thay dont use the same shaker for both gin and vodka. Not really my area of expertise, but I'm sure Gin is Kosher, and I doubt vodka could ever pass the Rabbi's examination.

Cheers to All!
#85
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
  • Joined: 2001/04/21 19:15:00
  • Location: Round Rock, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/21 19:25:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Bushie: The creativity is coming in. I suggest that I come to Austin the week of 12/8/03 and meet with you on 12/9/03 in the evening, we can sort of celebrate the winner. Perhaps we can go to your favorite point of libation and really do a taste test and form our own opinion after the fact of the winner. We could start a new series on our opinion.

Maybe the Mayor could fly in and we could all form a taste testing group.

I will be there and perhaps you can pencil me in for the 12/9/03 or 12/10/03.

Bushie, the post are really coming in. I wonder if we can up the ante??? If we got this for $35, what do you think we could do for a couple of T shirts?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

I think that's a GREAT suggestion, Sundance! I just sharpened my pencil...
#86
Grampy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1559
  • Joined: 2002/10/14 18:22:00
  • Location: Greenfield, MA
  • Status: offline
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/21 21:25:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

I think it is fun when someone like Grampy comes up with a thread that creates fun like this. I wish I had thought of it. It developed into something that will be fun for several weeks..

Hopefully Bushie and I will enjoy the fruits of the thread.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN


Thanks for the compliment, but sometimes the most interesting and creative things in life are merely the ways that you find to justify your vices.

Best,
Rob
#87
Rick F.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1736
  • Joined: 2002/08/16 09:35:00
  • Location: Natchitoches, LA
  • Status: offline
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/22 00:14:02 (permalink)
Gawdamn!! Can't a guy just get s***faced without kowtowing to the authorities any more?

quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen


OK FOLKS, WE ARE PREPARING FOR THE GRAND CHRISTENING CONTEST.
I AM STARTING A NEW THREAD IN A FEW MINUTES THAT WE WILL ASK, BE LIMITED TO OFFICIAL CONTEST ENTRIES AND COMMUNICATIONS ONLY. THE DISCUSSION OF THE ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF FALLING DOWN FULL OF GIN AS OPPOSED TO KEELING OVER FULL OF VODKA SHOULD REMAIN HERE ON THIS THREAD.?!
IF YOU POSTED SUGGESTIONS ON THE EARLIER PAGES OF THIS THREAD PLEASE RE-ENTER THEM ON THE "OFFICAL ENTRY SITE" IN ORDER TO BE JUDGED WITHOUT A LOT OF SUPPORTING EDITORIAL COMMENTS OR DISGUISED ELECTIONEERING SURROUNDING YOUR SUGGESTION. BE SURE YOUR ENTRY IS CLEARLY MARKED FOR PROPER IDENTIFCATION.
al--NOW TO BE REFERRED TO HIZZHONOR !![
B)]
#88
Grampy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1559
  • Joined: 2002/10/14 18:22:00
  • Location: Greenfield, MA
  • Status: offline
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/22 11:32:05 (permalink)
Thinking about Mae West being mixed up in her affair like an olive in a dry Martini, I began considering what my favorite Martini scene was in a film. There are obviously a great many in the Thin Man films, particularly one where just as Nora begins shaking a Martini in their apartment overlooking Central Park. Nick, leisurely sitting on a park bench, is jolted from his racing form and realizes its lunchtime.

But my most memorable scene might be from M.A.S.H. A sullen and silent Elliot Gould sits as a very cocky Donald Sutherland has a Martini made for. As the drink is given to him, Gould looks up disdainfully and finally speaks: “No olives?” Sutherland laughs and asks where they can get olives in the middle of Korea, to which Gould opens up his coat, takes out a jar, and drops it in his glass, “Can’t have a Martini without olives.”
#89
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15303
  • Joined: 2002/08/20 22:32:00
  • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
  • Status: offline
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/22 11:54:25 (permalink)
Shheesch, Rick, Y'all can drink 'em anyway ya want..Ya just can't win the sweepstakes without registering. It ain't like ya gotta register your guns... ...Here have another, maybe it'll settle your tummy.
#90
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 12
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1