Shaken, not Stirred

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 12
Author
Grampy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/12/08 13:03:08 (permalink)
I knew a woman who drank Bombay and ginger ale. And she wondered why she remained single.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/12/08 14:16:52 (permalink)
I saw a man bounced out of a neighborhood bar in Poughkeepsie once, for ordering a "Johnny Walker and Coke"!
cunamara
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 45
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/12/08 14:29:51 (permalink)
quote:
That politician Gibson story was dismissed by the resident experts here a few weeks ago. The Gibson was named for that sniveling artist who drew the Gibson Girls -no two ways about it , so let's not hear any more apocrophal stories.

I'm not surprised. As it happens, I not only couldn't find the story anywhere via the internet, but I couldn't even confirm that there was a congressman named Gibson in the appropriate era.

Actually, being Irish, I spend much of my life caught in a whirlpool of apocrypha, much of it unconsious, ancient and archaic. It's a condition for which I take Martinis, which beats the analyst's couch and is a hell of a lot cheaper.

Tom {Here it is, not 5 o'clock again)
Grampy
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/12/08 14:43:59 (permalink)
With all the apocrypha on Martinis, I turn to the following three books for the best research:

The Martini: An Illustrated History of an American Classic by Barnaby Conrad
Shaken Not Stirred : A Celebration of the Martini by Anistatia R. Miller, Jared M. Brown
Martini, Straight Up: The Classic American Cocktail by Lowell Edmunds

The Best 50 Martinis ? -- I think not.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/12/09 09:57:00 (permalink)
Grampy, You forgot Bernard DeVoto's, "The Hour".
Grampy
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/12/09 10:01:52 (permalink)
I would love to include The Hour, but I have only seen quotes from it. It is my Holy Grail of Martini books. I've been seaching for it for years.

"The proper union of gin and vermouth is a sudden glory; it is one of the happiest marriages on earth, and one of the Shortest lived." - Bernard de Voto
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/12/09 10:37:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Grampy

I would love to include The Hour, but I have only seen quotes from it. It is my Holy Grail of Martini books. I've been seaching for it for years.

Grampy, I can help you with that. I was going to email you, but you don't have yours "activated" on the forum.

Send me an email by clicking on "Bushie" if you're interested.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/12/09 10:38:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

I saw a man bounced out of a neighborhood bar in Poughkeepsie once, for ordering a "Johnny Walker and Coke"!

I applaud the proprietor!
cunamara
Junior Burger
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/12/09 11:01:39 (permalink)
quote:

That would indeed be a find. Here's an anecdote from the "John Harvard's Journal" in that regard, which you may know but I thought I'd pass it along for others:

During the 1950s, Sunday evenings in Cambridge were enlivened by a weekly cocktail party known as "the hour" that was hosted by literary lion Bernard DeVoto [Class of] '18 and his wife, Avis. About six couples, including the [John Kenneth] Galbraiths and [Arthur] Schlesingers, convened at the DeVoto residence to "talk about life, history, and politics," Schlesinger recalls. According to Galbraith, "We met every Sunday evening to praise the writing we had done the week before, and drank a fabulous number of martinis." (DeVoto became such a martini expert that he eventually wrote an entire book on the subject, fittingly titled The Hour.) "I long since gave up martinis, but I notice that Arthur still has one," remarks Galbraith. (Schlesinger confirms his daily ritual of a pre-lunch martini.)

Tom (What an exquisite pleasure it is for it to be 5 o'clock when the vicissitudes of life demand it!)
Cakes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/12/09 13:08:05 (permalink)
http://www.alibris.com

They have a used copy for $12.95.
Grampy
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/12/09 14:10:00 (permalink)
Thanks to the several kindred spirits (literally and figuratively) who replied to me, I was able to order a copy of The Hour. The grail is in the mail, so to speak, and my life is complete.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/12/09 14:53:27 (permalink)
Grampy: The opening words are nearly as stirring as the Old Testament, the Declaration of Independence, the Preamble to the Constitution, etc. "We are a pius people but a proud one too, aware of a noble lineage and a great inheritance. ... we have improved man's lot and enriched his civilization with rye, bourbon, and the martini cocktail. In all history has any other nation done so much?
Not by two thirds.
Grampy
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/12/10 16:48:21 (permalink)
Alec Waugh also has some wise and wonderful words about cocktail hour in his 1968 Wines and Spirits from Time-Life.
Grampy
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/12/10 16:55:15 (permalink)
Unlike the Martini, at least the actual history of the Stalini has been well-documented.
dendan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 479
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/12/10 17:05:26 (permalink)
quote:

Unlike the Martini, at least the actual history of the Stalini has been well-documented.

Was there an actual reciept for it?
Grampy
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/12/10 17:39:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dendan

quote:

Was there an actual reciept for it?

Like the Martini, I think blood will be drawn over the actual ingredients and proportions of the receipt. We'll have a dickens of a time -- "olive or twist."
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/12/10 18:22:46 (permalink)
I suggest we all send letters to our local papers and the food editors of national papers informing them of the Roadfood
"Stalini " contest winner as a means of getting our name accepted
by those poor benighted souls who drink that swill. Also, we should petition Old Mr, Boston to change the name from "Kangaroo" to "Stalini".

My letter to the boys and girls of the food section of the NYTimes will be in the mail by the weekend, as will a letter to the local press.

In order to get the editors attention ( a notoriously obtuse lot of dull mordant glob),
I suggest use of phrases like, "International Roadfood . com",
"15,000 members participated", "judging by three widely recognized gourmets (my guess is they collectively weigh about 900 pounds and have a collective belt of about 150 inches)", "poor little orphan bastard now has a name", "the sanctity of the Martini", etc, etc.
Grampy
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/12/10 18:24:15 (permalink)
From Wine and Spirits by Alec Waugh:

“These drinks provide the solace, relaxation, and stimulus that a man needs if he is to complete with equanimity his arduous and often arid journey. …How many marriages have been saved by the quiet 40 minutes that husband and wife spend with predinner cocktails talking over the day’s events; these are the recompense for the daily stint.”
cunamara
Junior Burger
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/12/10 19:24:46 (permalink)
I don't mean to hijack this forum a bit. It has, I suspect, the finest repartee on the of any forum, and damned decent on the subject of Martinis.

I'm a simple man with simple tastes: a good Martini (meaning impeccablty perfect, which is really simple), any of a great variety of good beers (mostly micro-brewed), and Irish whiskey -- straight only. [Wines are another world almost entirely and any Scotch, frankly, bothers my stomach for some [perhaps ethnocentric] reason -- regardless of type and quality.]

I like Bushmill's and prefer their Black Bush, an almost-single-malt of undeclared age. Some few years ago, I tried a single-malt Bushmill's of declared age went it became available in my neck of the woods. They have since been offering a 10yo, 16yo . . . and 21yo, so I'm uncertain which of the former two it might have been; it wouldn't have been the 21yo. Whichever it was,I found it rather insipid compared to the smooth robustness of Black Bush.

Any comments from Irish drinkers (Irish "mixers" pointedly excepted)?

Tom
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13509
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/12/10 19:34:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

I suggest we all send letters to our local papers and the food editors of national papers informing them of the Roadfood
"Stalini " contest winner as a means of getting our name accepted
by those poor benighted souls who drink that swill. Also, we should petition Old Mr, Boston to change the name from "Kangaroo" to "Stalini".

My letter to the boys and girls of the food section of the NYTimes will be in the mail by the weekend, as will a letter to the local press.

Seafayer: I agree. the name should be immeidately solidified. I wil never order another one with the name

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

In order to get the editors attention ( a notoriously obtuse lot of dull mordant glob),
I suggest use of phrases like, "International Roadfood . com",
"15,000 members participated", "judging by three widely recognized gourmets (my guess is they collectively weigh about 900 pounds and have a collective belt of about 150 inches)", "poor little orphan bastard now has a name", "the sanctity of the Martini", etc, etc.
Grampy
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/12/10 19:49:28 (permalink)
Sic transit gloria martini for the moment.

I have recently discovered a splendid, unfiltered, 12-year-old single-malt scotch from Aberdeenshire, distilled by a Michel Couvreur. There are more-aged versions as well, but yours truly has not the means to report on their merits. I think I see another thread in the future. Right now, working on my second Martini -- Beefeater tonight -- my Magic 8 Ball says, "Reply hazy, call again later."
Grampy
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/12/11 16:14:09 (permalink)
Does anyone know anything about this book? Endangered Pleasures: In Defense of Naps, Bacon, Martinis, Profanity, and Other Indulgences
by Barbara Holland
cunamara
Junior Burger
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/12/11 19:29:44 (permalink)
The only down side of one's first experience of a really fine Martini -- paying attention to what you're imbibing, of course, and perhaps learning why it was so fine -- is that you enter a smaller, albeit more perfect, world. Your days of just casually ordering a Martini in just any old place are over and your quest for the perfect Martini has probably begun. -Tom
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/12/11 21:21:50 (permalink)
Grampy: she's got a ton of books out there, but I've never read any of them. Let me know about the :Endangered Pleasures" when you find it - if you like it maybe I'll buy myself a copy.
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/12/11 22:52:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by cunamara

I like Bushmill's and prefer their Black Bush, an almost-single-malt of undeclared age. Any comments from Irish drinkers (Irish "mixers" pointedly excepted)?

Tom
Black Bush is the only Irish I've tasted that I really like. The rest have--forgive me!--seemed pallid ghosts of unsmoky Scotch, while BB really has a flavor.

My preferences, in descending order of preference: decent Scotch, really good Bourbon, outstanding Irish, superb mountain spirits, and really superb Aqua Velva in days of yore. White spirits are more "special-occasion" choices.
Grampy
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/12/11 23:04:18 (permalink)
The magical and alchemical workings of Scotch are best summed up in a scene from Mr. Roberts, with Henry Fonda saying to William Powell (who else?) "Iodine!" A classic scene.
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/12/12 00:38:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by clothier

[Aqua Velva? You're kidding me, right?

This is the joke post to seperate out the posers, isn't it?
+/-. Rumor had it that it could be drunk safely if it was filtered through bread. (Bearing in mind that this was believed at a small university in a "dry" county.) Nobody I knew had the nerve to try it, though. . . .
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/12/12 09:01:21 (permalink)
I was on a ship with an alcoholic middle aged messboy who's breath always smelled of various brands of after shave lotion that he was sneaking swigs of out of anyone's locker he could get into.
He had a bit of high class Irish charm about him , so he got away with what most others would have risked being heaved overboard for. And , for a long term alcoholic , his health appeared to be quite good. Bet llechef could tell us about the alcoholic sous chefs drinking up all the vanilla extract...
Grampy
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/12/12 09:24:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rick F.

quote:
Originally posted by clothier

[Aqua Velva? You're kidding me, right?

This is the joke post to seperate out the posers, isn't it?
+/-. Rumor had it that it could be drunk safely if it was filtered through bread. (Bearing in mind that this was believed at a small university in a "dry" county.) Nobody I knew had the nerve to try it, though. . . .

I heard you could also drink liquid shoe polish if it was strained through bread. No mention of what brand or color. Perhaps these postings belong in the bizarre sandwiches thread.
Grampy
RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/12/16 16:52:30 (permalink)
I can now add Bernard de Voto's The Hour to my Martini book list. I finally got my copy. There is more wisdom in that small tome than many libraries contain.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 12
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1