The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Shaken, not Stirred

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 8 of 12, messages 211 to 240 of 344
Grampy

• Total Posts: 1559
RE: Shaken, not Stirred Sat, 10/2/04 2:58 PM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Grampy, you have received excellent instructions regarding proper mixing.

you can not mess up on mine as it is stricly rye and ice.

To you my friend:

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Sundancer: I know you probably have mentioned it somewhere before, but what rye do prefer? I have found that the Van Winkle Family Reserve -- a 13-year-old straight rye -- to be quite nice. And I will do all I can to bring real rye to Western Mass. Too many people think CC is rye, which it is not! And a true Manhattan or Old-Fashioned should be served with rye. Personally, I too, like it over just a wee bit of ice.

Sundancer7

RE: Shaken, not Stirred Sat, 10/2/04 3:07 PM (permalink)
    Mr. Grampy:

Van Winkle is the best but unfortunately in East Tennesse, it is hardly available. I sometimes wish i were in the northeast where finer spirits were available. In East Tennessee, that is not the case. Generally my rye is Canadian Windsor. Cheaper but available when I wish.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

cunamara

• Total Posts: 45
      RE: Shaken, not Stirred Sat, 10/2/04 4:19 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by Sundancer7

Mr. Grampy:

Van Winkle is the best but unfortunately in East Tennesse, it is hardly available. I sometimes wish i were in the northeast where finer spirits were available. In East Tennessee, that is not the case. Generally my rye is Canadian Windsor. Cheaper but available when I wish.

Paul E. Smith
      Knoxville, TN

I'm surprised that you're unable to find Van Winkle in East Tennesee as it is produced almost next door in Lawrenceburg KY. Check out http://www.alcoholreviews.com/SPIRITS/beamvanwinkleryes.html for a comparison with Jim Beam and also a link to order Van Winkle online. As you may know, it's somewhat pricey (3 times the Jim Beam price) which may have more to do with why you don't find many shops carrying it.

My favorite whiskey is Black Bush but, as it's similarly priced and unobtainable here in Honduras, I save it for an occasional treat and otherwise stick to Martinis (Bambay/Noilly Prat)and Port Royal cerveza (a Honduran beer). I've tried Bushmills' more aged productions but find them a little too "thin" for my tastes relative to the decidedly more robust Black Bush.

Tom

Sundancer7

RE: Shaken, not Stirred Sat, 10/2/04 4:31 PM (permalink)
        Nasty

Paul E. Smith
        Knoxville, TN

seafarer john

RE: Shaken, not Stirred Sat, 10/2/04 5:03 PM (permalink)
          Grampy, It's about time you got back to honest labor - congrats on the job you obviously always wanted and good luck with the guys like us on the other side of the bar. But, I wonder how you ever beat out the girls for that job? I note you plan to provide specific recipes for your drinks - will you also provide nutritional information?

My experience tells me that seven or eight years is about all the ageing any booze or wine needs to be at its best. Beyond that age I can't tell any difference. i.e. Laird's offers a 7 1/2 year old apple brandy which is very nice. They also offer a 12 year old brandy
          that, to my taste, is no better than the younger stuff. Between six and thirteen years all you are doing is paying someone 12% compunded on their money while it was warehoused under government seal.

I used to favor Old Forester, but haven't had a sip in years - I'm sure to get some next week, just to see if I still like it.

Here it is October 2th and I note the last previous post on this thread was August 25st - its been a long time between drinks....

cheers, John

Grampy

RE: Shaken, not Stirred Sat, 10/2/04 6:05 PM (permalink)
            Yesterday was another wime-tasting stint, and I am certain that I have sample some 50 wines in the past few days. Happily, I will be mixing Martinis in another hour. My local purveyor of spirits has been able to get a steady supply of Broker's gin, and I will mix one tonight with a dash of Bossiere vermouth.

As for nutritional information, the answer is yes -- it's all very nutritious! Particularly with the help of picholine and luques olives. Saturdays are especially nutritious because my wife likes blue cheese stuffed olives on the weekend. An aberation to some, but quite a tasty alternative.

fcbaldwin

• Total Posts: 388
              RE: Shaken, not Stirred Sun, 10/3/04 10:33 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Grampy

Yesterday was another wime-tasting stint, and I am certain that I have sample some 50 wines in the past few days. Happily, I will be mixing Martinis in another hour. My local purveyor of spirits has been able to get a steady supply of Broker's gin, and I will mix one tonight with a dash of Bossiere vermouth.

As for nutritional information, the answer is yes -- it's all very nutritious! Particularly with the help of picholine and luques olives. Saturdays are especially nutritious because my wife likes blue cheese stuffed olives on the weekend. An aberation to some, but quite a tasty alternative.

Grampy:
              That's GREAT about the bartending job. I can't wait to hear about how it goes. Is it a brand new restaurant? What is the character of it? I've always thought I'd like to try being a bartender someday.
              By the way, I found the Broker's gin in our state stores. Tried it the other day in a martini, 5 to 1 with Noilly-Prat. Very subtle on the palate. I enjoyed it and will keep it in my bar.

Frank

Grampy

RE: Shaken, not Stirred Sun, 10/3/04 11:20 AM (permalink)
                The restaurant used to be the Blue Heron in Montague, but they lost their lease. They bought the town hall in Sunderland and are turning it into a two-storied restaurant and bistro/lounge. The chef has won awards, and Phantom Gourmet loved the food, which is somewhat continental with an international edge. Everything was made from scratch, and it still will be. They want to take the same quality into the bar, so even the well will have all name-brand booze. It won't be Vito's Black & Blue Room -- that's certain.

seafarer john

RE: Shaken, not Stirred Sun, 10/3/04 2:29 PM (permalink)
                  For the health and welfare of all who might be contemplating going to the Town Hall in Sunderland, MA to toss one down with Grampy, please be aware that "picoline" is an industrial solvent derived from coal tar, horse urine, and bone oil. (I guess it may be part of the olive curing process).

As for me, when I go to Grampy's bar, which I look forward to some day, I'll be sure to say, "... and hold the picoline"! Or maybe I'll just order a Gibson instead of a Martini.

Cheers, John

Cheers, John

cunamara

• Total Posts: 45
                    RE: Shaken, not Stirred Sun, 10/3/04 2:53 PM (permalink)
                    quote:

I was just hired as a bartender in a local restaurant opening in November. I will create a specific drink menu with ingredients and sometimes proportions, so the customer will get exactly what he or she orders. I will also specify that all Martinis and Manhattans will be shaken unless otherwise instructed.

Putting this together with a clue from another message and a little eresearch I came up with "The Blue Heron" opening November 1st. Is that the place? If so, I regret that I will be passing through that area one week earlier on a trip from Honduras. Maybe next time.

Any tips for a great martini in the Springfield/Longmeadow area?

Tom

Grampy

RE: Shaken, not Stirred Sun, 10/3/04 3:57 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by cunamara

quote:

I was just hired as a bartender in a local restaurant opening in November. I will create a specific drink menu with ingredients and sometimes proportions, so the customer will get exactly what he or she orders. I will also specify that all Martinis and Manhattans will be shaken unless otherwise instructed.

Putting this together with a clue from another message and a little eresearch I came up with "The Blue Heron" opening November 1st. Is that the place? If so, I regret that I will be passing through that area one week earlier on a trip from Honduras. Maybe next time.

Any tips for a great martini in the Springfield/Longmeadow area?

Tom

I have heard that Fusion on Main Street in East Longmeadow makes good Martinis, but I have never been there. They also have a reputation for a good tapas bar. I have also heard that a Martini bar has recently opened in the Springfield area, but nothing specific.

downtown

• Total Posts: 68
                        RE: Shaken, not Stirred Tue, 10/5/04 8:35 PM (permalink)
                        oh I am in heaven. I found the martini thread. now let me read all 8 pages of it and I will be back later. after I finish a couple of martinis that is.

seafarer john

RE: Shaken, not Stirred Wed, 10/6/04 9:26 AM (permalink)
                          Downtown: Be aware that I'm watching you very closely. You've already, on another thread, fallen into error when you mentioned something called a "Mexican Martini". I'm here to tell you there is only one Martini - a mix of a little dry Vermouth and a lot of Gin, strained thru a lot of ice, and garnished with an olive. All other cocktails served up in a "Martini" glass must be called by some other name.
                          i.e. We here on the Roadfood have named that vodka and vermouth drink a "Stalini".

Drink and enjoy what ever you want, but don't call it any kind of a Martini unless it is the classic mix.

Cheers, John

rmcielwain

• Total Posts: 607
                            RE: Shaken, not Stirred Wed, 10/6/04 9:34 AM (permalink)

Also: "Shaken, not Stirred" [|)]

downtown

RE: Shaken, not Stirred Wed, 10/6/04 11:13 AM (permalink)
                              oh dear, I'm being watched.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15057
                                • Roadfood Insider
                                RE: Shaken, not Stirred Wed, 10/6/04 11:57 AM (permalink)
                                DT,
                                You know you love the attention !
                                Seafarer She has a web-cam setup so you can supervise the shaking and stirring of the various stuff you pour into that Martini Glass. Send me all your credit cards and I will register you for 'round-the-clock' access to the mix-cam.
                                OH yeah, Are you interested having a Barrel of Maker's Mark marked with your name and the opportunity to share a taste at it's opening 7 years from now? No Charge for that, unless you want to buy the full barrel for $4000 at time of opening. Send a note to the Mayor's office

downtown

RE: Shaken, not Stirred Wed, 10/6/04 12:51 PM (permalink)
                                  I do love attention!!!

I agree on the shaken & strained part. but question, are flavored olives acceptable??? olives are important, ya know!

my name and a free tasting?! SURE, I'm game, sign me up.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15057
                                    • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                    RE: Shaken, not Stirred Wed, 10/6/04 1:00 PM (permalink)
                                    DT
                                    To get the Barrel labeled..you register with Maker's Mark. It takes them about 3 months to work your name into the "burning the name on" list. But you get a really neat certificate and an invite to the opening of 'Your' Cask when it's ripe. Bushie and I have done it and it is a fun thing to get involved with at no cost.
                                    here's the website--
                                    http://www.makersmark.com/golf/

Grampy

RE: Shaken, not Stirred Wed, 10/6/04 1:05 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by downtown

I do love attention!!!

I agree on the shaken & strained part. but question, are flavored olives acceptable??? olives are important, ya know!

I mention elsewhere about olives -- picholine and Luques are my favorite (both French), but I also like Greek cracked green and Ionian.

rmcielwain

RE: Shaken, not Stirred Wed, 10/6/04 1:27 PM (permalink)

How about Lindsay's?

Rayme

• Total Posts: 106
                                          RE: Shaken, not Stirred Wed, 10/6/04 1:27 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:

quote:
                                          Originally posted by downtown

I do love attention!!!

I mention elsewhere about olives -- picholine and Luques are my favorite (both French), but I also like Greek cracked green and Ionian.

Grampy

RE: Shaken, not Stirred Wed, 10/6/04 1:29 PM (permalink)
                                            For me, only green -- in a good brine.

seafarer john

RE: Shaken, not Stirred Wed, 10/6/04 2:09 PM (permalink)
                                              Downtown: I neglected to welcome you to our cocktail symposium,
                                              wrongly titled "Shaken not Stirred", by, I guess, some Anglophile trying to identify with James Bond and other things boringly English.
                                              Anyhow, all are welcome here, there is no PC test , but we sometimes express our preference or disdain for particular drinks in harsh language and then lift a glass of good cheer all around.

cheers, John

seafarer john

RE: Shaken, not Stirred Wed, 10/6/04 2:19 PM (permalink)
                                                Grampy: I'll assume those French olives you mention are very good- hav'nt found any yet here in the mid-Hudson Valley, so I'll just have to make do with whatever the local supermarket has to offer. (And, if I can share a secret with you, except when company is here I don't usually bother with an olive at all - please don't tell anyone else).

One, among the many things that bothers me, is when my Martini arrives with a large spear impaling a half dozen olives that I know are taking up room in my glass that would be much better occupied by Gin .

Cheers, John

Grampy

RE: Shaken, not Stirred Wed, 10/6/04 2:32 PM (permalink)
                                                  SJ: I was pleased to read in the revised edition of Lowell Edmund's great Martini: Straight Up that the only olives he mentions by name are Luques and picholine. They are worth seeking out. Do you have a Whole Foods anywhere near you?

Grampy

RE: Shaken, not Stirred Wed, 10/6/04 2:37 PM (permalink)
                                                    On another note, the publisher has accepted Stalini as an alternate name for the Vodka Martini -- and I give full credit to the Stern's Roadfood site.

rmcielwain

RE: Shaken, not Stirred Wed, 10/6/04 2:38 PM (permalink)

SJ: Check again to see who this Anglophile was that started
                                                      this topic.....

(your bar tab is temporarily on hold, sir.... )

redtressed

• Total Posts: 1017
                                                        • Location: Morgantown, WV
                                                        RE: Shaken, not Stirred Wed, 10/6/04 2:50 PM (permalink)
                                                        (yeah this is gonna be a fun and well accepted commentary in this den of urbanity)

I, redtressed, have had only one time in my life, anything remotely resembling a stalini/martini/urban groovy lounge drink, and that was a few days after turning 18, on a high school field trip, flying from Pittsburgh to NYC(with very little chaperonage) I grew gutsy and ordered a Heublein pre mixed Manhattan, to keep in the spirit of my journey. PBFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT, blucko, yucko, icky icky....that one experience was enough to seal my fate forever in ever imbibin in anything remotely like that again.

Grampy

• Location: Greenfield, MA
                                                          RE: Shaken, not Stirred Wed, 10/6/04 2:56 PM (permalink)
                                                          R: My first Martini were also Heublein premixed -- I would rather drink live bees! The virulent mix is about as close to a real Martini as lutefisk is to Pepe's white clam pizza. I still have a nip of the swill as a souvenir and proof that WMDs do exist.

seafarer john

RE: Shaken, not Stirred Wed, 10/6/04 6:04 PM (permalink)
                                                            Grampy: All the supermarkets in our area are the ones that go thru taking turns going bankrupt- and, no there are no such things as Whole Foods in New York State (I think).

rmceilwain: I checked and, just as I thought, it was Grampy who got us into this predicament. But, it was not Grampy who put the name to our favorite forum - it was some unknown bureaucrat hiding behind an electronic screen somewhere in the hinterlands who wrongly named us. But Grampy has to share the blame. he does, shamefully and brutally, shake his Martinis.

Would anyone else like to join with me in the All American Patriotic and Benevolent Society For the Prevention of Cruelty to Gin and Vermouth ?

Cheers, John

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 8 of 12, messages 211 to 240 of 344

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com