Shaken, not Stirred

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 12
Author
Grampy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1559
2003/11/17 14:16:40 (permalink)

Shaken, not Stirred

As I have not seen an actual Martini forum, I thought I would start one. Some may quibble that a Martini is not roadfood, but I cannot recall exactly how many I have had for the road. Any thoughts on the fixings, proportions, lore, quotes, taboos concerning this most venerable of drinks are welcome. So, as Cole Porter said in his Two Babes in the Woods:

"They found that the fountain of youth,
Was a mixture of gin and vermouth."

Let the shaking begin.

343 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18859
    RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/17 14:36:11 (permalink)
    Some good gin and a glance across the room at the vermouth bottle will do it for me, so long as there's an olive inside.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13548
    RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/17 14:43:21 (permalink)
    I keep my Vodka and Gin in the freezer, my glass in the freezer and I like 3 olives. Just a hint of Vermouth.

Most of the time I drink Canadian and the Martini's tend to get rough on me.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Grampy
    RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/17 14:52:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

I keep my Vodka and Gin in the freezer, my glass in the freezer and I like 3 olives. Just a hint of Vermouth.

Most of the time I drink Canadian and the Martini's tend to get rough on me.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

I, too, keep the glasses and shaker (sterling silver is the best, but I have had to have mine relined) in the freezer. Naturally, the gin is there as well. Beefeater is an all-around, clean gin, but I especially like Plymouth, and I turn to Bombay Sapphire when I want something a bit more botanical. I have noticed of late that there is a spate of designer gins that are to my mind almost nothing like gin. I have recently tried Beefeater Wet (which tastes of pears), and Magellan from France. The latter is also much to aromatic for me, but, interestingly, has a blue tint from irises. I think the gin makers are trying to win over the flavored vodka crowd.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4119
    RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/17 15:47:03 (permalink)
    I don't keep the bottle in the freezer------it's too big! I've come to the conclusion that the best martini is made with Bombay Sapphire gin. I keep the vermouth (Martini and Rossi) in a mister and mist it over the gin and ice in my shaker. shaken withcubes of ice and poured into a nice cold glass. Olives tend to be either simple----stuffed with a pimento, but if I want a variety I will use one stuffed with garlic. I recently discovered an olive stuffed with blue cheese-----magnifico! I keep 3 different sizes of glasses-------my big ones will do for1 drink only, but wow!
    I hadn't thought of keeping the shaker in the freezer-----mine goes there tonight! Thanks for the tip Grampy!
    And to echo the words in another thread------just cuz it's in a martini glass doesn't make it a martini! There are certain drinks that stand out on there own and look nice in a martini glass----a Cosmopolitan comes to mind-----but making a frou-frou drink with all sorts of liquors and cream does not constitute anything close to a martini.
    One other point-----it is important to use good gin. I can drink a house martini at a restaurant------but the smoothness and enjoyment isn't the same as if I can get one made the way I like it with Bombay Sapphire. Martinis are a great judge of the quality of a bar!

Grampy
    RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/17 16:00:45 (permalink)
    The best Martini I have had -- made by someone else, that is -- was in New York at Harry's Bar in the Sherry Netherlands hotel. It is the only real Harry's associated with the original in Venice. Their Martini is actually called a Montgomery because it’s a mix of ten parts gin to one part vermouth. It was named for a British general who wouldn’t go into battle without the same ratio of men against the enemy. The mixture is then stored in tiny tumblers in the freezer, so it never touches ice. Mind you, I do like the tiny crystal shards, but Harry's is na experience. They also serve a plate of unpitted olives on the side. I usually have three different unpitted olives for contrast: 2 French Picholine (slightly bitter) and a Greek cracked green (very meaty). Sometimes the former comes with a touch of olive oil, so bee sure to wash it off. Nothing worse than an oil slick on your 'tini.
    rumbelly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/17 16:05:50 (permalink)
    The Bombay Sapphire or Tanquery reside in the freezer. Good olives are needed. I get a special selection from a store that specializes in things Spanish. Smoked fish goes well with martinis.
    May I add to the list of drinks servable in a martini glass a well constucted Rob Roy.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/17 16:21:45 (permalink)
    Enjoy my Martini every day at fiveish. Gordons is my gin, but I'll drink and love any of the high enders whenever a gift comes in or we are feeling flush - or someone else is buying. I like my Martini about ten to one, STIRRED (BAh! Shame on shakers - I had thought only uncouth Limey secret agents are boorish enough to shake a delicate Martini) , an unstuffed green olive or two or three in a cold classic Martini glass (3 inch stem, 4 inch bowl, clear glass with no hint of color or decoration), and as Bernard DeVoto said in his classic Martini book, "The Hour," "stirred in about $10 worth of ice". A twist of lemon peel instead of the olive is OK, but it is dangerous in the wrong hands as it trends to relax the standards and pretty soon you have "saketini, chocolate, pear, avacado, ketchup. etc. "martinis" -UGH!

But it is good company that makes the Martini especially delightful and as we age we lose those old friends and find ourselves more and more just the two of us enjoying the end of a day in the best company there ever is...
    Grampy
    RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/17 16:28:29 (permalink)
    As the "hour" approaches -- and the rain drizzles outside -- I look forward to quoting Robert Benchley: "I must get out of these wet clothes and into a dry Martini."
    Hode
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/17 16:43:07 (permalink)
    Martini's or as known in this household "Olive soup" consist of Beefeater and a drop of vermouth. For special occasions Bombay Saphire and olives stuffed with almonds.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/17 17:40:35 (permalink)
    All you shakers! And not a contrite one in the bunch - and I've always held all of you in such high regard....Damn damn damn! And Olives stuffed with what??? Garlic??? God save us!

A Rob Roy is a delightful drink- best served in a heavy tumbler. I fear that Rumbelly has ruined his best Martini glasses...(sigh).

A Cosmopolitan is a pretty drink and a Martini glass flatters it - I suggest it be served in a champagne flute.

And, yes Grampy, it is a cold miserable rainy evening here in the Hudson Valley and iin just a moment I'll be doing just as you and Benchley suggest. CHEERS!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/17 17:49:10 (permalink)
    Seafarer:

Cheers from the Tennessee Valley. It is 5:45 and I am enjoyed my evening libation from my deck overlooking the Tennessee River. The temp is 68 degrees and getting dark pretty quick. Suppose to have heavy rain tomorrow. That give me something else to celebrate. That will be for tomorrow though.

My evening libation is Canadian which is Rye Whiskey. I like it on ice.

I occasionally do Martini's, but that is when I am with someone that I want to talk with and enjoy their company.

I have a bottle of Remy Martin Louis XVIII Grand Champagne Cognac that was given to me by a friend. I have a shot about once a year with a good Cuban Cigar that was also given to me by one of my Pharmaceutical friends from Argentina.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/17 17:52:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

All you shakers! And not a contrite one in the bunch - and I've always held all of you in such high regard....Damn damn damn! And Olives stuffed with what??? Garlic??? God save us!

How about 3 olives stuffed with JALAPENO, SJ?!

"Shake shake shake, shake shake shake, shake your 'tini, shake your 'tini. Awwww, shake shake shake..."
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/17 18:12:36 (permalink)
    I expected a report from Bushie PDQ. I knew he could not stand by and let a topic like this fly. Now I am awaiting "The Mayors" thoughts.

Maybe good or Maybe bad, but I look forward to my 5:00PM opportunity to add to the events of the day. It is about over, but there is always tomorrow.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Grampy
    RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/17 18:24:40 (permalink)
    To all my non-shaking friends, is William Powell (as Nick Charles) ever wrong?

“The important thing is the rhythm. Always have rhythm in your shaking. Now a Manhattan you shake to fox trot time; a Bronx to two-step time. But a Martini, you always shake to waltz time."

And I think I do hear a waltz.
    oldfrt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 269
    RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/17 18:30:35 (permalink)
    I posted this to another thread but here it is again!

Been a "Vodka Martini" advocate for many years and also agree that the original Martini was made with Gin, and not Vodka.

Also, getting tired of all these "flavored" variations. Tried some and not turned on with them. My favorite is a Xtra dry (which really means just the Vodka) Stoly Martini, UP, with a couple stuffed olives ON THE SIDE!

GRIPE TIME: Have you ever gone to one of these newer "Chain" Restaurants and ordered a Martini? I was at an Appleby's recently and ordered one on the rocks and the glass came back with barely enough Vodka in it to wet the ice cubes!! I called the waitress over and asked her for another one but "UP" this time! She came back, and I am not kidding, with a standard Martini glass, "V" shaped, that had about ONE OUNCE in the bottom.

I asked to see a manager and when he came over I asked him about this and he said that it was policy to only pour one ounce. (AND FOR $5). He actually asked me if I would like a "double" that I immediately declined. For $10 I would still have maybe a half a Martini. $20 for a real one?

I have my favorite places these days that POUR a Martini, a real one. Hey, they still get a lot of profit out of making it right and chances are that I will go back for many more!

Other favorites are Absolute, Finlandia, and the new Grey Goose is not all that bad. What do you think?

Don (Shaken not Stirred)
    oldfrt
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/17 18:42:28 (permalink)
    Hey, this is a "Roadfood" associated topic! We do discuss OLIVES eh?

Don
    Grampy
    RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/17 19:00:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by oldfrt

Hey, this is a "Roadfood" associated topic! We do discuss OLIVES eh?

Don

Then there is the occasional onion -- of course, then it's a Gibson.
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/17 19:19:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Grampy

“The important thing is the rhythm. Always have rhythm in your shaking. Now a Manhattan you shake to fox trot time; a Bronx to two-step time. But a Martini, you always shake to waltz time."

Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/17 19:20:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

quote:
    Originally posted by Grampy

I always wondered how they could solve the crimes as they must have been smashed 24/7. I love those movies!

Here Astra!
    oldfrt
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/17 19:37:29 (permalink)
    If you remember in the movies, it was a "Martini", a good looking "woman", on a beach somewhere in the Carribean, an evening of "fun", and in the morning you solved all the crimes of the world!!

Ahhh, Could we ask for more?

After a couple of these "delights" and the same circumstances, we could all solve the World Problems. It has to be the Olives!

Don
    oldfrt
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/17 19:41:45 (permalink)
    Take the Quotation marks off of "Woman". There is only one!

Great thread and I am into my second one tonight.

Don
    Grampy
    RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/17 21:00:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by oldfrt

Take the Quotation marks off of "Woman". There is only one!

Great thread and I am into my second one tonight.

Don

The Woman? Not Irene Adler? What would Sherlock have been like if he had the 10-1 Martini instead of a 7% solution? Yes, two Martini's go down nicely. As it is said, the Martini is like a woman's breasts, one is not enough -- three are too many.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/17 21:42:37 (permalink)
    Oldfrt: That thing your are drinking is NOT A MARTINI! It is some pretender hiding in a Martini glass. I would hope that the evil person who first poured vodka in a Martini glass and called it a Martini would be suffering the pangs of Hell by now. What a lack of imagination! What poverty of ideas! Why couldn't she (it had to be a "cute young thing - female bartender") have invented a name for the thing? When a man first was inspired to put a tiny pickled onion in the Martini, he had the decency to give it a new name- "Gibson". It is not a Martini - it is a first cousin to a Martini - it is a GIBSON. A fine drink, but not a Martini, the classic, the very definition of the word cocktail.

I dont blame Oldfrt for this problem , he like milions of others is the victim of the feminization of the drinking class - the ruin of America's saloon culture - the reductionof the honorable profession of bartender to little more than a shop clerk dispensing notions.

I herewith offer the munificent prize of the price of a good bottle of Gin in your local liquor store to the Roadfooder who can come up with a fitting name for that atrocity currently knows as ,( ugh) the vodka martini (ugh). I will forward a check in the amount of $35 to
    the winner of our contest. The contest to close on Pearl Harbor Day, December 7th, next. I beg that the Mayor Al Bowen draft another two Roadfooders to form a committee to choose the winner. If the Mayor will accede to my request I will forward the check to him to dispense to the winner who should be chosen withina a week after December 7th. I do this in the hope that we can correct the terrible wrong that has been done to the classic Martini by by giving that poor little bastard without a name a proper name all his own.

Cheers to All, John
    Laughing Goddess
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/17 21:50:51 (permalink)
    Well, we can't discuss martinis without a quote from the brilliant Dorothy Parker, now, can we?

"I'll drink one martini,
    Two at the most --
    After three I'm under the table,
    After four I'm under the host."

(My apologies to Miss Parker if I didn't get the quote exactly right)

Gotta love that girl!!
    Argent
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 125
    RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/17 21:56:31 (permalink)
    Bond , I belive drank vodka martinis , made with grain vodka, not potato, I think Absoult 100, Shaken not stired with a twist, A drop of M&R dry vermoth
    NO olives , Up in in a martini glass,
    Ive had em , Not bad
    Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/17 22:54:48 (permalink)
    30 years ago. My boss and I were out with a salesman. We were drinking gin martinis with olives. I really enjoy olives marinated in gin so I would finish off the olives that came in the drink and then marinate some from the relish plate. The ones that came in the martini were stuffed and the ones in the relish tray weren't.

My boss looked over and noticed this pile of olive pits. His face went pale and he said "Oh my God, these olives have pits in them"?

My wife loves the olives from martinis so I have to order them with extra because she will steal them.

I like martinis but I am not a purist. Shaken, stirred, on the rocks, vodka. Just don't give me one of those fru fru things that genX calls a martini.
    Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/17 23:07:12 (permalink)
    Another martini story. On the Food Network, some hot shot bartender in New York (I think) was showing how he makes a dry martini. He put a dash of vermouth in the glass and swirled it around, dumped it, and added the gin. The Food Network host cooed that she had never seen that done before!

I watched a bartender make one that way in a motel bar in Knoxville, Iowa in the 70's. Knoxville is not exactly a cultural center. Great dirt track racing, though.
    Grampy
    RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/18 09:29:27 (permalink)
    The James Bond Martini

The James Bond martini appears in his very first book (by Ian Fleming), Casino Royale. In chapter 7, we read:

"A dry martini," he said. "One. In a deep champagne goblet."

"Oui, monsieur."

"Just a moment. Three measures of Gordon's, one of vodka, half a measure of Kina Lillet. Shake it very well until it's ice-cold, then add a large thin slice of lemon-peel. Got it?"

Lillet is a type of Vermouth that you can still find in many stores.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4119
    RE: Shaken, not Stirred 2003/11/18 12:35:37 (permalink)
    I went to Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen in Downtown Disney last night. Now I'm confused------the two Tanqueray No. 10 Martinis I had there have given my beloved Bombay Sapphire a run for the money. Extremely smooth and very well made.With the oyster shooters and a Sazerac after------I don't need much more then that!
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 12
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1