Shakey's Pizza

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 7
Author
CraigieFresh
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2005/07/20 19:01:11 (permalink)
If you live in the Los Angeles area there's one at 7001 Santa Monica Blvd, one at 6052 W Olympic Blvd and one at 12924 W Washington Blvd.
Sandy Eggo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2005/09/14 16:24:54 (permalink)
I remember going to Shakey's. They are still around, but there are more franchises in foreign countries. http://www.entrepreneur.com/franzone/details/0,5885,12-12---292778-,00.html

You can still buy a franchise but the business plans seems a little....Shakey
V960
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2005/09/20 07:42:21 (permalink)
Shakey's...I was fifteen and she was sixteen. Pizza was great but what I remember from Shakey's was my first time. Place has been gone for twenty years in Charlotte...Now Mai which is the best Japanese place in town.
BCC
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2005/09/26 14:20:04 (permalink)
I well remember Shakey's. First visit was to one in San Angelo, Texas for my 21st birthday. Later when I was stationed near Washington, D.C. I got a part time job at Shakey's in Landover Hills, Md. Later became a manager there and finally the best manager they had! (At least in my own slightly distorted mind) We then opened Shakey's in Bethesda, Md. What a great place that was.
Shakey's parlors were in fact two entirely different restaurants in spirit. At dinner time and through most of the day on Sundays, we catered to families and groups of sports teams and such. Really kept busy cooking. Later in the evening, the crowd and the mood would change. The food became secondary and the bar was five deep. Many nights we ended up rolling in the parking lot with a bunch of drunks. Even had a female customer smack me over the head with several beer mugs. Not embarrassed to say I punched a lady. Had guns pulled on us, attempted robberies and various other stupid behavior.
In '76 I met a women who would become my wife. She also worked for the franchisee. We moved to Florida that year and that was the end of my pizza career. For years tho, I would make pizza for our kids and all their friends. I remember coming home at 9 PM after 14 hrs. of construction to find a dozen little girls sleeping over and waiting for pizza. Yes, I made them.
I understand that they are trying to resurrect Shakey's. The owners are existing Shakey's operators as I understand it. My advice, go back to the family fun that made it what it was. Old silent movies, honky-tonk music. Have a separate video room if you want. Create memories for my grandkids, with whom I now make pizzas
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15335
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2005/09/26 14:36:57 (permalink)

Welcome to Roadfood.Com, BCC. Keep those memories coming !
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4615
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2005/09/26 14:41:53 (permalink)
BCC ... thanks for an excellent contribution.

Welcome.
BCC
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2005/09/26 15:42:52 (permalink)
Thanks for the welcome,guys. I really can't think of any other food other than BBQ that is so resplendid with memories than PIZZA. One more for you. Some of the Shakey's had two sides in the earlier days and maybe later. One was for adults and families while the other was for our teenage customers. A good friend and steady customer was planning on getting remarried. He wanted to get married at Shakey's. So one evening, I closed the teen side and we had the wedding over there and kept the other side running. God times-Good friends.
OK, one more. When you get like me, you have to say what you're thinking or it's lost forever. The first year I had met my wife, she invited me to her family reunion. Her dad was one generation removed from a renowned western Maryland family of domestic fabricators of fine liquor. (Moonshiners) I agreed, with some trepidation, to attend. They told me not to bother bringing anything since I was a bachelor and they had hogs, steers and crabs galore. Being a good young man however, I brought my own special BBQ ribs and for fear that they would not be good enough for these great cooks, I picked up a keg of beer. Needless to say my father-in-law and I were the best of friends until his passing.
jpr_sd
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2005/11/05 06:14:35 (permalink)

Hi Guys, I have read in interest regarding our favorite pizza/pub/family/buffet restaurant of the 60's to the 80's

I have been chosen to assist an owner of 7 past Shakey's here in California for a new concept. The Old Concept ! We are still having a problem of finding a usable player piano, and most Banjo players in California are union or don't exist. BUT-- We have the original sauce recipes! The owner has sold 5 of his previous Shakey's (they are located in central California and Nevada) and has committed to trying it out the old way!

I will not be able to go to this website all that often, we are trying to open a Shakey's for gawds sakes

e-mail me with any comments or feelings. The new/old restaurant will be in La Mesa, California (near San Diego), in a place called Grossmont Center. (pls reference Shakey's in your e-mail subject line)

I want to hear from all of you!

Thanks
James in San Diego
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2005/11/06 08:50:35 (permalink)
There used to be a Shakey's on Colerain Avenue in the College Hill area of Cincinnati. I remember that some of the topping choices were unusual for that time (early '70s), like shrimp, bacon, ham, pineapple. It was good pizza. Was it Shakey's that served schooners of Ballentine beer, or am I confusing that with Lum's?
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2005/11/06 09:36:40 (permalink)
My last Shakey's encounter was in Montgomery, AL circa 1987. Pizza good but not that great, if I remember. There is still a privately owned location of a similar themed restaurant down in Tallahassee, FL. Definitely above par pizza there. I will try to post link if I can find it. Of course, how many of you folks plan to come to this area in the near future???

Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2006/04/10 20:50:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk, It's comforting to know that one (Shakey's) remains open in Warner Robins, Georgia.

Re: Dearfolk,
To amend my own well-aged answer, the place is still there. The address is 785 North Houston Road, not far off Watson Boulevard (which is the main east-west road).
Go and enjoy yourselves at America's first franchised pizza eatery. I plan to as soon as practicable.
This is roughly 120 miles south of Atlanta; all but the last few miles are interstate routes.
Bon appetit!
Wishing For Crunchiness, Ort. Carlton in Ever-Amazing Athens, Georgia.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2006/04/10 21:25:52 (permalink)
http://www.asiatravel.com/shakey/index.html
It is amazing what you find on the information superhighway!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13565
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2006/04/10 21:29:28 (permalink)
Ort, as usual, you are so correct. There are only four stores remaining west of the Rockies and one of them is at Warner Robbins. two are in Wisconsin and one somewhere else.

At their height, they had 325 stores but due to Shakey selling to a company which sold to another company and so on, the franchise began to decline due to corporate ineptness.

The orignal Shakey's was very good and in fact, it was the first pizza place I ever visited. That was in 1966 in Chattanooga. Hell, that was 40 years ago. Shakey played the piano and in fact sponsored a lot of music events.

Their history is very interesting. Attached is their history and their demise. Strange as it is, Most of Shakeys are located in the Phillipines. I have no idea why?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakey's_Pizza

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Sourdust
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 32
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2006/04/12 19:43:58 (permalink)
I never knew until fairly recently that they were (once) a big chain; didn't travel much as a kid and only ever saw the one in Beloit, WI -- or perhaps I'm misremembering and the one we went to was in Janesville (still in business). I liked it as a kid, but as I said we didn't go out much so any pizza, hell any restaurant food was a treat, I even loved McDonalds. Don't think I've probably been in one (or a Chuck E Chees or Rocky Rococco's either) since the age of 17 or so, 1982/3. I'd love to visit one again though; maybe next time I'm home; my parents are 15 miles from Janesville WI. Do you suppose this 40-year-old will be as entranced as the 12-year-old?
curried bluebonnet
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 108
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2006/04/12 23:48:12 (permalink)
Sourdust--even us 41 yr. olds can still be enchanted by Shakey's! I'm from St. Louis and remember going there as a starry eyed teen on a date--who cares what the pizza tasted like (though was good!) Hopefully the young ones will appreciate it too.
DroKoz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2006/04/13 13:56:46 (permalink)
Just to let everyone know: Back in January 2006, I made the 7.5 hour drive to Shakey's in Warner Robbins, GA on a Saturday just so that I could see if the MOJO potatoes were as good as I remembered from my "younger" days. BOY, WERE THEY GREAT! The pizza is still just so-so, but the chicken and potatoes were "deelish!" The staff was very friendly. The manager on duty even wanted to make a pizza for the buffet just for me--whatever I wanted--since I had driven from so far. I wouldn't let them do that...wouldn't have been right since I had really driven there for the MOJOs!! Anyhow, the trip (both trips-if you include "memory lane")was worth it. I'll have to get another "crazy" hair and make the trip again in another month or two. I just LOVE those MOJOs!!
marshrat
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2006/04/13 14:21:41 (permalink)
I sure wish I had known there was one in Warner Robbins when I used to travel there on business.

The one from my youth in Greenville, SC is long gone. The shrimp pizza (with mushrooms and olives) was called the Left Hander's Special. That was when a 16-year-old could still buy a pitcher of beer.
sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2006/05/15 17:28:15 (permalink)
WE need Shakeys back. The sauce,the crust,the cheese,and the atmosphere
boyardee65
  • Total Posts : 1460
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2006/06/22 03:03:39 (permalink)
I used to go to a Shakeys Pizza in Manhattan Ks. when I was a kid of about 7-8. I forgot about the Three Stooges shorts that they used to show. Ours also had a player piano. I also rember that they used to sell pithcers of 3.2 % beer. The pizza was great but what does a 8 year old know? I had lots of great times there and miss the place. Times change.

David O.
holdem
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 415
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2006/06/22 20:42:46 (permalink)
As I recall the one in Columbus Ohio had a kitchen with windows. You could watch them make the pizza's. I remember the crust would bubble up. That was my favorite part of the pizza.
roadrash
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 231
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2006/06/29 17:34:36 (permalink)
Shakey's was great, but Pappy's Pizza was even better! Shame they're both gone.
jack38
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2006/07/03 00:24:11 (permalink)
They still have a Shakey's in Redlands CA but the best pizza in that area is at Uncle Howies Pizza (not to be confused with Crazy Howies).
Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1511
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2006/07/03 05:49:15 (permalink)
Apparently I missed this thread earlier, so I will weigh in now.. Our town recently got 2 Shakey's.. I went for the lunch buffet.... the food was so bad, I'd rather pull out my own tongue than eat it again... next to the Jones Brussell Sprouts Soda I tried for Christmas, this food was the worst thing I'd ever put in my mouth... I wanted to die after eating it.. but that's just my opinion of course...
finvarra
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2006/08/22 20:07:18 (permalink)
I remember Shakey's Pizza being the best I ever had--admittedly I was probably around 10 years old, but I defintiely rememebr that the crusts were not frozen (at least when I had them)--in fact you could watch them make the pizza through a window and they through the dough up in the air the old fashioned way (they also didn't pop the bubbles in the dough which most palces do--I always liked those puffed up places). I also remember it having a LOT of cheese--it used to string off the pizza when you ate it. Definitely my favorite pizza experience. Sad tos ay the Shakley's near where we live later became an "adult club" and finally was torn down to make way for a bank.

quote:
Originally posted by Xwordster

I remember having Shakey's pizza as a kid in St. Petersburg, FL and as I recall, their pizza crusts were frozen (!) and the sauce was actually spicy hot and not much cheese. Sadly, one of the worst pizzas I've ever had.
Ashphalt
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2006/08/23 12:07:12 (permalink)
I remember the jingle:

"We serve fun at Shakey's, also Pizza. Shakeys!"

Made us think the food was an afterthought. We never went there.
shakeykniss
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2006/08/23 20:17:28 (permalink)
SHAKEY’S® PIZZA SHAKES THINGS UP WITH NEW
PIZZA & GRILL CONCEPT UNVEILING IN COVINA
SEPTEMBER 7, 2006
Shakey’s Pizza is Now Shakey’s® Pizza & Grill

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

WHAT:
Shakey’s® Pizza & Grill is shaking things up in Covina with the Grand Opening of a brand new restaurant concept. Formerly Shakey’s® Pizza, the new and emboldened Shakey’s Pizza & Grill is the premiere destination for food, family and fun.

Known for their original thin crust pizza, crispy fried chicken and famous MoJo® Potatoes, the new Shakey’s Pizza & Grill will uphold its 52 year heritage with the classic favorites, but add to the menu micro brewed beers gourmet pizzas, fresh tossed salads, and grilled Angus beef burgers.

A tradition since 1954, Shakey’s Pizza continues to bring families together over good food and good fun. The new Shakey’s Pizza and Grill boasts a contemporary adult atmosphere and kickin’ kids’ entertainment zone where family members can reconnect with each other and their favorite Shakey’s memories.

Valley residents are invited to join City Council and Chamber of Commerce members in inaugurating the new family fun spot with prizes and a ribbon-cutting event.

WHO:
Covina Mayor Meline D. Juarez
City Council Members George Chadwic, Peggy Delach, Kevin Stapleton
Dawn Nelson, President, Chamber of Commerce
Nathan Kirshcenbaum, Membership Director, Chamber of Commerce

WHEN:
September 7, 2006
5:00 PM – 7:00 PM

WHERE:
Shakey’s Pizza & Grill
1422 N. Azusa Ave.
Covina, CA
(626) 966-5819
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13565
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2006/08/23 20:54:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by shakeykniss

SHAKEY’S® PIZZA SHAKES THINGS UP WITH NEW
PIZZA & GRILL CONCEPT UNVEILING IN COVINA
SEPTEMBER 7, 2006
Shakey’s Pizza is Now Shakey’s® Pizza & Grill

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

WHAT:
Shakey’s® Pizza & Grill is shaking things up in Covina with the Grand Opening of a brand new restaurant concept. Formerly Shakey’s® Pizza, the new and emboldened Shakey’s Pizza & Grill is the premiere destination for food, family and fun.

Known for their original thin crust pizza, crispy fried chicken and famous MoJo® Potatoes, the new Shakey’s Pizza & Grill will uphold its 52 year heritage with the classic favorites, but add to the menu micro brewed beers gourmet pizzas, fresh tossed salads, and grilled Angus beef burgers.

A tradition since 1954, Shakey’s Pizza continues to bring families together over good food and good fun. The new Shakey’s Pizza and Grill boasts a contemporary adult atmosphere and kickin’ kids’ entertainment zone where family members can reconnect with each other and their favorite Shakey’s memories.

Valley residents are invited to join City Council and Chamber of Commerce members in inaugurating the new family fun spot with prizes and a ribbon-cutting event.

WHO:
Covina Mayor Meline D. Juarez
City Council Members George Chadwic, Peggy Delach, Kevin Stapleton
Dawn Nelson, President, Chamber of Commerce
Nathan Kirshcenbaum, Membership Director, Chamber of Commerce

WHEN:
September 7, 2006
5:00 PM – 7:00 PM

WHERE:
Shakey’s Pizza & Grill
1422 N. Azusa Ave.
Covina, CA
(626) 966-5819

Apparently your are connected with Shakey's?

If so, I wish you luck and I hope that your release is not hype.

I recall Shakey's from years ago. At one time it was good but has not been in years. Good luck and please keep us informed as I am sure that this forum will grade you on your results.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
shakeykniss
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2006/08/23 20:59:48 (permalink)
I do hope so. Consumer feedback is important.

So engrained in the American culture is Shakey’s that it is referenced in such popular programs as Comedy Central’s “South Park” and the teen cult comedy Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (as “Chez Quis”).

To stay top of mind in American pop culture, amid a variety of popular fast food and family restaurant casual chains, Shakey’s USA CEO, Tim Pulido, has outlined a 5-year revitalization plan to be kicked off with the Covina restaurant opening. The Shakey’s 5-year revitalization plan makes provisions for an all-new logo, menu, and store designs for all Shakey’s USA corporate locations. The new look and menu reflect a shift in American attitudes toward style and health.
“Shakey Johnson was a fun-loving person, and his attitude was reflected in everything he did. While Shakey’s Pizza has stayed true to its heritage of entertainment and value, its attitude has waned a bit over the years,” said Pulido. “Through our new employee training program and revitalized store design, the new Shakey’s Pizza & Grill will once again fully embody that fun-loving attitude allowing Shakey’s memory to live on.”

Before the end of 2006, and in true Hollywood fashion, Shakey’s® Burbank and Shakey’s® Alhambra will both undergo extensive facelifts to contemporize the outdated stores.

By 2008 Pulido plans to have remodeled all remaining corporate stores, 10 franchise stores and have built an additional 10 new stores in Southern California and other select markets.
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2329
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2006/08/23 21:10:46 (permalink)
Back in the day, I loved Shakey's, and I really hope they can pull it off. When I see one, I will give them a chance to show me what they can do.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8695
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2006/08/23 21:27:56 (permalink)
Shakeys has been in Milwaukee for years-still is.Average to bad pizza.Not the Shakeys of old.....
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1