Shakey's Pizza

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 7
Author
6star
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4388
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2004/04/29 23:35:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by DroKoz

Shakey's hasn't been around in Pensacola since early to mid 80s. I absolutely loved the MOJO potatoes. If anyone knows the recipe/how to make them I would be indebted. Please post the recipe or email me with it!

Thanks, all!

Here is the copycat recipe from the web: http://www.recipegoldmine.com/ccS/s11.html
okc_rn
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2004/05/20 02:15:32 (permalink)
There used to be several Shakey's pizza joints in Oklahoma City back in the 1970's. I too wondered what happened. Ran across an article in the paper dated Jan 6, 1981 which said that the 4 Shakey's pizza places in OKC had been sold to a fellow who worked for the chain for 18 years. Evidently, he decided to drop the Shakey's franchise and go as "Round up pizza."

There is still one location in one of the suburbs of OKC. The wife and I went and were not at all impressed. I still have memories of Shakey's having the BEST pizza anywhere. Whatever Round up is, it is nothing like what Shakey's was.

Wesley H.
okc_rn
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2004/05/20 03:13:40 (permalink)
There used to be several Shakey's pizza joints in Oklahoma City back in the 1970's. I too wondered what happened. Ran across an article in the paper dated Jan 6, 1981 which said that the 4 Shakey's pizza places in OKC had been sold to a fellow who worked for the chain for 18 years. Evidently, he decided to drop the Shakey's franchise and go as "Round up pizza."

There is still one location in one of the suburbs of OKC. The wife and I went and were not at all impressed. I still have memories of Shakey's having the BEST pizza anywhere. Whatever Round up is, it is nothing like what Shakey's was.

Wesley H.
Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 755
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2004/06/01 15:47:31 (permalink)
Until Tysons Corner Mall began to expand about 10 years ago, the Shakeys sign and building just sat derelict...I should have bought the sign. Dang!

Another fun chain like Farrells down the drain.
shell
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2004/06/09 15:26:07 (permalink)
People around here rave about Chucky Cheese's pizzeria, I didn't care for them myself. Alot of price, not much in return. But, boy, do I remember Shakey's! It was our favorite high school hangout after games and such. I don't remember much about their pizza taste but I do remember an oversized organ with a organ mister who played to silent movies shown. They had an arcade too. And you could watch the pizza being made behind a big glass window. We'd order large pitchers of pop and large pizzas for the group.

I think it closed around here about the mid to late 80's, it's a sportsbar now. But I do miss it. Wish my boys had a place like that to go to.
Kent Daniels
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2004/07/21 22:43:58 (permalink)
I loved the Shakey's birthday club for kids. You got a little pizza and a 3-foot balloon with feet on it, (and of course your parents had to buy another big pizza to go with the little free one). I liked being able to watch the pizza from the benchs under the kitchen window, and the banjo player, and the sing along. It was also the first place I saw the Atari "Pong" game. So I guess I miss the Shakey's experience, although I think the pizza at Pizza Inn (also long gone) was better.
johno
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2004/07/22 01:22:35 (permalink)
I loved Shakey's pizza. There were a few locations near me growing up in Maryland near DC.

The last one that I knew about was in Landover Hills, apparently family-owned, and operated up until about 1998. When it orignally opened c.1968, it had the movie projectors and the live piano player. As time went on, it apparently survived because of a lunch and dinner buffet (small but enough food choices).

The original family apparently sold it, and "Shakey's" was taken off the street sign, and "Mario's" put in that place. The pizza and the buffet were just about identical. Then they had a fire and the place was permanently closed. The decaying site and bulding with Mario sign still exists.

"Interesting" about that fire!

senor boogie woogie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2004/08/02 09:27:43 (permalink)

Hola!

I remember my parents taking me to Shakey's in Memphis, TN in the 1970s and it was wonderful. Entertainment on the weekends, not only a piano but a Dixieland Jazz band. They showed old B&W movies like the stooges and Laurel and Hardy. I played the 70s video games in there, one was a baseball game.

You can see how the pizza is made. My small elementary school even took a field trip there and had lunch.

The last Shakeys I went to was in Las Vegas around 1992. I forgot about the food, but it wasn't too memorable.

Why did Shakey's die out? It seems as though most people on the board enjoyed the food. Seems like Shakeys died when the 70s did.

Senor
citizengeek
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2004/08/02 14:54:11 (permalink)
Obscure Shakey's documentary- Family Business

As a part of the Middletown Film Series (a late 70s/early 80s National Humanities Council/PBS documentary project continuing sociological studies of Muncie, Indiana), the operations of a Shakey's Pizza were pretty thoroughly recorded.

This Shakey's had sing-alongs with the banjo-playing owner and a 90-year old organist. As someone born during Vietnam, it is hard to believe that anywhere this wholesome ever existed, but I'd probably go there in a heartbeat if it were still open.... Looks like lots of weird fun.
David_NYC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2165
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2004/08/17 23:11:54 (permalink)
Please see this excellent analysis by a senior editor of Pizza Marketplace, an industry publication:

http://www.pizzamarketplace.com/research_story.htm?article_id=19921&pavilion=136

If you click on the link at the bottom of the article, you will find additional articles on the saga of Shakeys.

The new owner is Jacmar Companies of Los Angeles. I ate at several of the franchises operated by Jacmar in May. The food at all locations was great.

I also ate at a franchise in the Los Angeles area not run by Jacmar, but the food was not as good.

My advice to people who are interested in Shakeys:

1. Go to shakeys.com for a current list of restaurants. If none are near to you, or the one in area is dreadful, then go to the jacmar.com website and get the list of Shakey's Jacmar operates for the next time you go to Southern California.

-David
plb
  • Total Posts : 1036
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2004/08/18 00:21:52 (permalink)
Citizengeek,

I well remember the documentary, but then I’m a Muncie native. The owner was retired from the military. He seemed like a salt-of-the-earth guy who probably had his life’s saving wrapped up in the place. I was always going to try it on a visit home, but never made it. Too bad.

Phil B.

carlylynn88
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2004/08/18 01:20:35 (permalink)
There is still a Shakeys in Rochester, MN I believe my friend used to work there and I'm pretty sure it is still open.
Fred Ferris
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2005/02/01 17:02:57 (permalink)
I too grew up with Shakey's in the DC area. There truly was nothing we looked forward to more than ragtime band, player piano and roaring fire place...and the pizza....the best!

I'm sad to report however, that I've been to Shakey's in L.A. (and elsewhere in CA), and the quality has deteriorated beyond belief. Not only did I experience the worst pizza I've ever eaten out, the atmosphere is nothing at all like it was in the 70s (Pizza Hut is more appealing). Depressing.
ZekeTheCat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 129
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2005/02/01 19:46:22 (permalink)
I remember eating Shakey's pizza back in the late 60's and early 70's mainly in Tulsa Ok, while in college in Arkansas - really good pizza ,later on in Highland Indiana also. Always wondered what happened to them.

In Tulsa there was also a real good pizza joint called Shotgun Sam's Pizza Palace on S. Sheriadan RD. Really yummy pizza ,but alas , they changed owners in early 70's sometime and quality went down the drain and they eventually closed - sad to say.
Saint Matt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 183
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2005/02/01 21:28:17 (permalink)
In the early 90's, I ate at the original Shakey's in Sacramento. It was awful! It's no surprise that it closed soon after. When I was living in Los Angeles, I tried the Shakey's lunch buffet a few times at the locations in Burbank, Glendale and North Hollywood. It was pretty good, not great. Those Mojo Potatoes are still tasty.

My dad knew Shakey back in the 50's. I'll ask him if he has any memories of the guy.
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2165
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2005/02/12 19:07:06 (permalink)
Saint Matt -

I would be interested to know if your father knew any details about the recipe for Shakey's sauce.

I ate at the original in Sacramento, too, in the mid-to-late 80's. If I remember correctly, I ate at better ones during that time period. I raided the dumpster of another Shakey's in Sacramento during the same trip. I found their cheese came from Beatrice Cheese Co. They had their own private label pizza sauce. The label on the box gave the same list of ingredients as any jar of supermarket pizza sauce, it didn't give the spice formula. I think the sauce was in plastic bags and shipped refrigerated or frozen, rather than being pasteurized in a canner.

After Shakey's kept getting sold, no doubt the suppliers of the raw ingredients changed, too. This may have had a lot to do with the negative comments voiceed in this thread.

I would also like to throw out the possibility that all our plates improved over the years, and we may have been as influenced by the ambience and novelty of the place as young people as by the quality of the food.
Xwordster
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2005/02/22 14:51:46 (permalink)
I remember having Shakey's pizza as a kid in St. Petersburg, FL and as I recall, their pizza crusts were frozen (!) and the sauce was actually spicy hot and not much cheese. Sadly, one of the worst pizzas I've ever had.
Kell Book
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2005/03/02 17:19:13 (permalink)
I worked at a Shakey's in the 1970's as a ragtime piano player. It was on Airline Highway in Baton Rouge, LA. I thought the food was pretty good at the time--of course, it was free so that helped. We had the silent movies as well, and the sing-alongs. What we also had that was neat was the freebie questions. The banjo player and I would ask trivia questions and reward the correct answerers with little certificates entitling them to one free beer. We would give away about 50 on Friday and Saturday nights. The place was rocking then . . .
jmeller
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2005/03/03 18:13:41 (permalink)
I remember going to Shakey's in Orland Park, IL and it must have closed sometime in the early or mid 90's because I had been there for my sixteenth birthday in 1992. I'm not quite sure when exactly it closed or why but while traveling to Wisconsin Dells we spotted the famous Shakey's sign off of I-90 and I was so excited. So of course we stopped for lunch on the way home. I only wish it wasn't 2 hours away from home!!! My husband tried to convince me that I shouldn't stop because it just wouldn't be like I remembered. I had to go and guess what?, I wasn't disappointed. Food was just like I remembered and maybe a little better. Many kinds of pizza to choose from including a delicious deep dish garlic. My 18 month old daughter loved it too and I loved the the 53cents that it cost for her to eat a whole plate. And she did eat a whole plate Can't wait to return to Wisconsin Dells because you can bet we'll be stopping again on the way back. If only there was a Shakey's in the Chicagoland area again...
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5157
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2005/03/03 18:51:57 (permalink)
Was the Shakey's in Janesville? That's the only one in the area that I'm aware of; the one in Madison closed down a number of years ago.

Brad
jmeller
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2005/03/03 18:59:58 (permalink)
Oops-forgot to put the location. Yes it was in Janesville, Wisconsin.
boilermaker
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 55
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2005/07/14 15:12:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Saint Matt

My dad knew Shakey back in the 50's. I'll ask him if he has any memories of the guy.

My dad talks about a guy he knew in the Air Force they called Shakey. Rumor had it that Shakey went off and started a restaurant. We have wondered if it was the same Shakey.

I remember eating at several Shakey's in the mid-80's and noticed the quality had gone down a couple of notches.
Bill B.
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 322
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2005/07/14 16:14:27 (permalink)
The last Shakey's in the Kansas City area closed around 1980, I think. By the time it closed, the pizza was not very good. The restaurant was nothing like the Shakey's of the 1960s. As I recall, it was pretty much reduced to a lunch buffet and little else.

Sometime in the middle '60s, Kansas City got a couple of other pizza places called "Fun House." Does anyone know if that was a chain or just a local phenomenon? Fun House was built on the same concept as Shakey's, complete communal tables, follow-the-bouncing-ball music and glassed-in kitchen where you could watch the pizza makers tossing dough.
aharste
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 80
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2005/07/14 16:48:45 (permalink)
We went to Shakey's pizza when I was little. I think it was the one in Richfield, MN. I don't even think I liked pizza back then, but I loved going and watching them make pizza through the window, and listening to the player piano, and sitting on the benches at the big tables. That was probably one of the few times I was allowed to drink pop, besides when we went to A&W. It's funny to think what a rare occurrence it was to go out to eat back then.

That Shakey's is now a Mongolian bbq.

It also reminded me of a place called Uncle John's, which was like a Perkins. The mascot was a barber-shop-quartet-looking guy with a handlebar mustache. They used to give little kids cardboard handlebar mustaches to stick under our noses.
CraigieFresh
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2005/07/19 15:36:46 (permalink)
I live next door to a Shakey's. They have a marquee and are always posting birthday greetings and advertisements for book fairs. Sometimes late at night I walk over and change around the letters on the marquee to spell out things like "Stinky poop doggie" and "Bad eat here Davey".
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13523
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2005/07/20 08:38:14 (permalink)
The last Shakey's I ate at was in 1967 in Chattanooga, TN. At that time pizza was unique around Tennessee. I enjoyed it then and I have not seen another since then. I was not aware that they are still in existence.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
PaulBPool
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 278
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2005/07/20 09:29:03 (permalink)
Hey Craig, changing letters eh? The best "letter changing" I ever saw was back about 20 yrs ago here on Long Island. We had a local hamburger chain called "April's". They had maybe 4 locations, the food was always so-so. One year they started selling breakfast items - an egg mcmuffin knockoff, pancakes, etc. So, they put out one of those portable signs, yellow with moveable black letters, which said:
"April's Breakfast - It's Incredible!"
Took the local kids about ten minutes to remove the "c" and "r", which changed it to:
"April's Breakfast - It's Inedible!"
CraigieFresh
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2005/07/20 14:48:10 (permalink)
Ha! I love it! I'm pretty hungry today. Have you or anyone else ever been to an "all-u-can-eat" Pizza buffet? There was one at Penn State called Hi-Way Pizza. They would continuosly put out different varieties of delicious pizzas...thin, thick, various toppings...even had a dessert pizza!

I'm probably going to have chinese for lunch today, though.
signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2005/07/20 18:02:14 (permalink)
Craigie, Where is the Shakey's in your neighborhood? I'd like to taste their pizza one more time.
ZekeTheCat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 129
RE: Shakey's Pizza 2005/07/20 18:47:32 (permalink)
Shakey's is still in business but only in a few states - I think they've changed owners so many times that that there is little left of the original Shakey's of 30 years ago except for the name !

http://www.shakeys.com/

http://www.answers.com/topic/shakey-s-pizza
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1