Shakey's

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
gregys
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
2009/12/08 11:54:46 (permalink)

Shakey's

First Shakey's I ever had was I think in Mass or NH in 1969. They had that thin crust crunchy pizza.
I have missed seeing them around. Seem to be now in Ca. mostly. Its been many years since I was there. The original franchisers sold the chain to overseas people and it virtually disappeared.
I need my crispy pizza, the kind that does not bend! I just don't consider soggy saggy pizza to be real pizza pie.

57 Replies Related Threads

EatingTheRoad
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1205
    Re:Shakey's 2009/12/08 12:30:47 (permalink)
    I'd suggest a Totino's then...it's just as good as Shakey's.
    gregys
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Shakey's 2009/12/08 13:00:39 (permalink)
    I think eating at a pizza restaurant that has a real wood pizza oven has to have crisp
    pizza. I remember one place in Frederick Md. that brought the pizza out on stone
    platters, is one way to keep it warm and fresh. Totinos, I have been seeing the adds. i think I have already eaten some. Does not taste anything like a real good pizza. The dough is funny. Pizza dough is supposed to taste like pizza dough.

I have been saying there are three things a good pizza should be.

1. Crisp( I think you have to precook the dough only)
    2. Enough sauce so everything starts to fall off when held sideways.
    3. Stringy, as in  mozzarella

In any case must not bend more than 15 degrees when held with one hand.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18655
    Re:Shakey's 2009/12/08 13:21:23 (permalink)
    gregys

I
    I have been saying there are three things a good pizza should be.

1. Crisp( I think you have to precook the dough only)
    2. Enough sauce so everything starts to fall off when held sideways.
    3. Stringy, as in  mozzarella

In any case must not bend more than 15 degrees when held with one hand.

I grew up eating apizza in New Haven, so I disagree with each of the three things you numbered and with your idea of how much bend there should be.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    Re:Shakey's 2009/12/08 14:55:40 (permalink)
    ok, MH, I'm with you here 100%.

#2, I found most offending: "Everything...falls off" ???
    how much stuff is on it? eeks!

gregys
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Shakey's 2009/12/08 15:24:23 (permalink)
    Its not how much stuff. Mainly how much pizza sauce. I should have said, starts to slide off.
    I got a little carried away, although I swear I have had it happen where most slides off.
    Soggy pizza is soggy. its got to have a snap when you bite into it. otherwise its just soggy
    dough. Call it what you want, but don't call it pizza pie.

I was saying in another thread, I went to a barber shop about 6-7 years ago. He started talking about pizza, and how his mother started making it when it hardly existed. ( Not like Jim Fox of Fox's Pizza saying he started the take out business). He also said, you know one of the best ingredients to put in pizza is eggplant. I guess all good old Italian people know that. It turns out a year later i go to a nice pizza restaurant in NY, and get eggplant as one of the ingredients. It was good.
    My local pizzaria  has broccoli I don't like it on pizza.but cauliflower would be much better similar to eggplant.

The next time I see Jim Fox I want to ask him a couple questions about things.

Oh yes, a pizza is not pizza without onions !!
    Why do they charge so much for onions ??
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Shakey's 2009/12/08 15:32:47 (permalink)
    gregys

Its not how much stuff. Mainly how much pizza sauce. I should have said, starts to slide off.
    I got a little carried away, although I swear I have had it happen where most slides off.
    Soggy pizza is soggy. its got to have a snap when you bite into it. otherwise its just soggy
    dough. Call it what you want, but don't call it pizza pie.

I was saying in another thread, I went to a barber shop about 6-7 years ago. He started talking about pizza, and how his mother started making it when it hardly existed. ( Not like Jim Fox of Fox's Pizza saying he started the take out business). He also said, you know one of the best ingredients to put in pizza is eggplant. I guess all good old Italian people know that. It turns out a year later i go to a nice pizza restaurant in NY, and get eggplant as one of the ingredients. It was good.
    My local pizzaria  has broccoli I don't like it on pizza.but cauliflower would be much better similar to eggplant.

The next time I see Jim Fox I want to ask him a couple questions about things.

Oh yes, a pizza is not pizza without onions !!
    Why do they charge so much for onions ??

You certainly seem to have some very strange ideas about apizza.
    gregys
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Shakey's 2009/12/08 15:34:21 (permalink)
    i said Jim Fox inverted take out pizza, but I meant pizza home delivery, at least
    here in Pittsburgh when he only one shop. I guess that was in 1971.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Shakey's 2009/12/08 15:38:15 (permalink)
    gregys

i said Jim Fox inverted take out pizza, but I meant pizza home delivery, at least

If it was 1971 then he didn't invent it, as I had it delivered in 1965 in Charleston, West Virginia.
    gregys
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Shakey's 2009/12/08 15:41:36 (permalink)
    I guess my strange views on pizza are in part by sampling one of the finest, Capo's pizza
    of Ashtabula or Geneva on the lake Ohio. He made it good, but the current family owners,
    and as most pizza shops are, are not consistent. By the slice its at least twice as big as
    is most common, and they cook it part way, and only do the final heat before they hand it to you.
    it does not sit around for any length of time. If you don't watch out, you will get burned.

Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    Re:Shakey's 2009/12/08 17:10:41 (permalink)
    gregys, you have me lost. I'm not even sure what you're talking about.

lay off the sauce, man. And I ain't talkin 'bout the pizza sauce.

just kidding. But, seriously though, I don't know what you're talking about.
    boyardee65
    • Total Posts : 1460
    Re:Shakey's 2009/12/08 17:27:36 (permalink)
     I used to go to a Shaky's pizza parlor in Manhattan, KS. when I was a kid.
     They had very crispy crust as I remember. They also had a video player that was similar to a jukebox. You could get three plays for a dollar or one play for 50 cents.
      My babysitter used to take us there with her boyfriend. They would order a pitcher of beer for them and a pitcher of soda for us. Good Times!!

David O.
    catosaurus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 293
    Re:Shakey's 2009/12/08 17:37:09 (permalink)
    When I was middle-school aged, in the 1960s in southern California, I used to visit a local Shakey's a couple of blocks from my home and bother the workers there in the afternoon when I got out of school.  There were never any customers at that hour, and I'd watch them rolling out the dough and breathe in the heavenly scent combination of yeast dough rising, sauce simmering, and beer dripping from the taps. 

The pizza served at Shakey's in that era was pretty darned good.  By the 1970s/80s, the quality had descended into a sad shadow of its former self.  That was when Shakey's was mostly known for their all-you-can-eat lunch and their appalling mojo potatoes.
    dasl_4
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re:Shakey's 2009/12/08 22:39:55 (permalink)
    catosaurus 

Shakey's was mostly known for their all-you-can-eat lunch and their appalling mojo potatoes.

mmmmmm  good times ;~)
    californyguy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 513
    Re:Shakey's 2009/12/09 00:08:49 (permalink)
    The first Shakeys was here just outside of downtown Sacraemento...after that a place called Sweetwater fun barfood type place opened there and did well, but then they moved downtown and now are not doing well,,,food is such a tricky business , it takes real skill and dedication to hang around for generations as many roadfood places do 
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2165
    Re:Shakey's 2009/12/09 00:36:05 (permalink)
    Gregys:
    You might enjoy reading this 7-page thread about Shakey's started a few years ago:
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=39043
    buttrdish
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 81
    Re:Shakey's 2009/12/09 01:28:46 (permalink)
    Funny!, Just, last week, went to a Shakey's here in Washington state, it was either in Covington or Kent, reminded me of when I was a kid, not the best pizza I have ever had but certainly crunchy...
    They had GREAT old school video games, it was a fun nostalgic evening.
    EatingTheRoad
    • Total Posts : 1205
    Re:Shakey's 2009/12/09 08:14:17 (permalink)
    californyguyfood is such a tricky business , it takes real skill and dedication to hang around for generations as many roadfood places do

There's also an aspect of growing beyond what I'll call the "care factor" point. I believe in economics it's something like the point of diminishing returns. If you have a husband and wife team that put all their love and time into a restaurant the food, quality and overall experience a diner has should be 100x better than if that same couple expanded their operation to 10 or 15 stores. The longevity of the restaurant would then correlate to that.

You see it all the time with places like Stouffer's, Winky's, Burger Chef, Red Barn, Carroll's, Gino's, Wetson's, Biff Burger, even places that are still around but mere shadows of their former selves like Bob's Big Boys, Kenny Rogers' Roasters, Orange Julius, Arthur Treacher's, Stuckey's, HoJo's, and Shakey's.

There's a point of expansion where the quality and care just can't be replicated. I'm sure it varies from place to place on depending on the proprietor but I'd say anything beyond 5 stores and the "love" starts to go out of it....and it begins to feel more like a chain. Of course it would have to be that way though in order to maintain quality and customer service, you would have to implement exacting standards and guidelines...and in the end "dumbing down" procedures and possibly recipes, etc.

It's unfortunate because we have such fond memories of these places and want them to be what they once were but they won't....and that's why they go by the wayside eventually...or change into something entirely different.
    collinf
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 164
    Re:Shakey's 2009/12/09 08:59:10 (permalink)
    catosaurus
    The pizza served at Shakey's in that era was pretty darned good.  By the 1970s/80s, the quality had descended into a sad shadow of its former self. 

I agree 100%.  I used to love Shakey's up until about the mid-1970's, and then even as a kid I noticed the beginning of a downturn that drove the company down from over 300 locations to less than 60.  If I could find a pizza from Shakey's like they made back in the 60's, I pay good $$ and savor it.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Shakey's 2009/12/09 09:09:10 (permalink)
    Back in 1965 The new program director at the Connecticut radio station where I was news director came from Phoenix, and he raved constanly about Shakey's. I finally took him to Frank Pepe's for an apizza and he swore he'd never go near Shakey's again.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Shakey's 2009/12/09 09:43:46 (permalink)
    gregys

Pretty interesting since I worked through high school and college delivering pizza in small Illinois town in 1963. We made a good crisp thin crust, no one ever heard of anything else. As for Shakey's, they were the only pizza place in the small Iowa town I went to college in in 1965.
    gregys
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Shakey's 2009/12/09 10:04:47 (permalink)
    The thing I remember about Shakey's, is thinking, wow they are saving money on dough, and
    still making a good product. Maybe the dough does not cost that much. There must be a method to make it thin and crisp and that's not necessarily burning it to death. After the chain got sold to the Philipinos
    the American stores fell through. The current owners of the American stores are American I think.

A little off subject, but another thing. Most all the best tasting pizza's are made in the old fashioned ovens. I don't like the current trend. Pizzas need to be cooked just right, not in so many seconds.
    Each needs to be monitored and taken out at the right time. Fixed time is no good.
    The bottom of the oven baked pizza is different and usually has some black which
    makes it taste just right.

boyardee65
    • Total Posts : 1460
    Re:Shakey's 2009/12/09 19:15:43 (permalink)
      I am a big fan of the old Blodgett pizza ovens. I have used them in a few restaurants that I have worked in. I am not very happy with conveyor ovens as the time is preset and every pizza is different requiring a different firing time. Wood fired stone ovens are the best IMHO. Perfect crust and well cooked on top.

David O.
    rokelemaster
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:Shakey's 2009/12/09 19:43:16 (permalink)
    I agree with the praise of the Blodgett ovens. It took more work to keep track of the pizzas, but the results was worth it. The pizzas just seemd right!
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    Re:Shakey's 2009/12/09 20:48:36 (permalink)
    And I thought I was the only fan of Blodgett ovens...  They do produce a quality pie!
    gregys
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Shakey's 2009/12/10 16:09:02 (permalink)
    Blodgett oven

Also got to save money being greener, more efficient.

fug
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re:Shakey's 2009/12/13 08:29:15 (permalink)
    catosaurus

When I was middle-school aged, in the 1960s in southern California, I used to visit a local Shakey's a couple of blocks from my home and bother the workers there in the afternoon when I got out of school.  There were never any customers at that hour, and I'd watch them rolling out the dough and breathe in the heavenly scent combination of yeast dough rising, sauce simmering, and beer dripping from the taps. 

The pizza served at Shakey's in that era was pretty darned good.  By the 1970s/80s, the quality had descended into a sad shadow of its former self.  That was when Shakey's was mostly known for their all-you-can-eat lunch and their appalling mojo potatoes.

Catosaurus,

I have the same remembrance  here in Maryland in the late 60s.  There was a Shakey's on Rockville Pike that I'd go to as a youth.  They had a window with a bench in front of the kitchen where the kids would press their noses watching them roll out the dough, taking in the smells.  I was too young to know whether the pizza was good or bad, but I have a lasting impression of long tables and benches, tons of people, a player piano, pitchers of root beer and lots of thin crust slices.  The place eventually turned into a Hooters.  The last Shakey's left in these parts that I know of closed a few years ago.  It was in Gaithersburg and served a pizza/wings buffet.  It wasn't the same but it was OK and my children enjoyed it until it closed.

Any of you DC suburbanites remember a competitor to Shakey's in Wheaton called The Trolley Car?  Lots of soccer and football parties held there...

And the Pizza Oven chain? - rectangular pizza, sweet sauce...
    lechmo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Shakey's 2010/01/09 02:10:36 (permalink)
    Worked at Calumet City, IL Shakeys in 1974-75. Dated the owners daughter so it was easy getting hired. :) The Fralichs' were a great family and will always be in my heart.  They opened up a few more stores later( Highland &  Merriville IN, and Orland Park,IL)  Had some of the best times at work with the old crew--Brad, Fark, Sabin and others.  Bunch-o-Lunch in the afternoon was busy.  Come nighttime the place was packed. And yes, they had the Banjo player who got that place going.  The little kids loved standing in the windows all night, watching us prepare the food
    zydecocruiser
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 48
    Re:Shakey's 2010/01/31 23:43:41 (permalink)
    I still love Shakey's and have been known to spend more on cab fare than a Shakey's Special cost anytime I get close to one. Glad that they are still hanging on.
    CheeseburgerChet
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    Re:Shakey's 2010/02/06 09:09:46 (permalink)
    The 1st home delivery Pizza was started by Little Ceasers in 1959 by Mike Illitch, owner of Little Ceasers, Detroit Red Wings and Detroit Tigers.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1