Shanes Rib Shack

Author
LindaW
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 338
2008/06/06 16:28:50 (permalink)

Shanes Rib Shack

I also posted this under the fast food forum...anyone ever been and how was it? They are opening up 2 here in the Capital District...one in Clifton Park and the other in Colonie...per their website
www.shanesribshack.com.

I am wondering how a place in a strip mall can really have decent bbq?

Thanks folks
Linda

20 Replies Related Threads

porkbeaks
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2217
    RE: Shanes Rib Shack 2008/06/06 17:02:43 (permalink)
    Here in Georgia, we have a number of them. Since I have a smoker, I do my own bbq and, if I'm feeling lazy, we have a wonderful local joint called Hickory Wind. I haven't felt the need to try Shane's. I will say I haven't heard or read anything good about them.[url='http://www.bbqgeek.com/bbqgeek_smoking_out_the_s/2007/05/restaurant_revi.html']Here's[/url] a review done by a local bbq fancier. If you Google for Shane's reviews, you'll see this one is fairly typical. Hope this helps. pb
    MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    RE: Shanes Rib Shack 2008/06/06 17:55:19 (permalink)
    LindaW, I wasn't pleased with my visit. The sauce was respectable, if you're a sauce person, but I'd rate the ribs and sides as fair.

Additionally, the sides were too "clinically" portioned. For example, the potato salad was served in a very shallow foam cup, and the top was intentionally leveled as flat as flour in a measuring cup. It was as if they were afraid I'd actually have something to eat, and they couldn't risk that.

The dinnerware was paper, cardboard, foam and plasic. Not a very homey feel.

They're still in business here, so I'm certain they have fans, but I thought was pricey for both the quality and quantity of food.
    MellowRoast
    RE: Shanes Rib Shack 2008/06/06 17:59:44 (permalink)
    That should have read: "The dinnerware was paper, cardboard, foam and PLASTIC."
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Shanes Rib Shack 2008/06/06 18:03:47 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    We have a franchised location here in Athens. I'll return tomorrow and tell y'all about our local exemplar of gas-cooked pig. Oh, for a thousand hickory logs about now, and an extra fifteen minutes!
    Oinklessly, Ort. Carlton in Steaming, Screaming Athens, Georgia.
    MellowRoast
    RE: Shanes Rib Shack 2008/06/06 20:07:18 (permalink)
    Ort. Carlton, whatever happened to you? Glad you're still around.

As a footnote, I didn't think Shane's was bad, I just thought it was unremarkable.
    QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 643
    RE: Shanes Rib Shack 2008/06/06 20:16:27 (permalink)
    We have two here in the Naples/Bonita Springs area, both in shopping malls as noted above. The food is okay at best, but if you're a serious Que lover, don't bother. Definitely in the mass-produced category. I thought the quality of the meat in the pulled pork sandwich wasn't bad, but it tasted more like a Roast Pork sandwich from a slow cooker than real barbeque. The Brunswick stew was a minimally spicy, tomato-y like soup w/ bits of chicken and corn floating around in it. All in all, a sandwich combo was fairly priced for a filling lunch, but if you're looking for the real McCoy don't waste your time. [|)][|)]

QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1102
    RE: Shanes Rib Shack 2008/06/07 12:06:51 (permalink)
    We have one in Columbus, OH and I have not been myself but a friend at work has and his assessment is like the others here. He did not think much of the ribs but the pulled pork was respectable. He did manage to be one of their first customers when they opened and he gets a free sandwich every week or month for a year.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4564
    RE: Shanes Rib Shack 2008/06/07 18:47:17 (permalink)
    Ort, we was about to come lookin for you. You better start ticklin those ivories. We have a lot of catchin up to do.

Joe
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: Shanes Rib Shack 2008/06/07 19:56:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MellowRoast

LindaW, I wasn't pleased with my visit. The sauce was respectable, if you're a sauce person, but I'd rate the ribs and sides as fair.

Additionally, the sides were too "clinically" portioned. For example, the potato salad was served in a very shallow foam cup, and the top was intentionally leveled as flat as flour in a measuring cup. It was as if they were afraid I'd actually have something to eat, and they couldn't risk that.

I like your choice of words, Mellow Roast ! ("clinically" proportioned) ...
    I'm definitely going to add that to my reportoire!

I've seen one Shane's Rib Shack thus far, in Royal Palm Beach, FL, in the same shopping center where I met Roadfooder "Bluemaxx" at the "Counter Burger". Although Shane's is certainly a very pretty place on the outside, (pretty yellow Southwestern colors, etc) I had a feeling they would be a little too corporate and careful. Plus it was lunchtime and there was nobody hardly in there. (certainly made me less likely to feel that "I gotta try it!")
    MellowRoast
    RE: Shanes Rib Shack 2008/06/08 05:43:06 (permalink)
    Hi, Ellen!

Yes, Shane's may be one of the most portion-conscious restaurants I've seen. You should seen the shallow, leveled servings of potato salad and other sides. I was stunned. Not what you expect from a BBQ joint. You expect them to be earthy, hospitable, and generous. And I'm willing to pay for that! Just give me a great experience and I'll be happy to pay for it.

LindaW
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: Shanes Rib Shack 2008/06/08 10:56:40 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies.....and don't think I'll be going to Shane's anytime in the future....especially when I can make ribs like I did yesterday....83 degees in the Capital District...so I started them at 225 in the oven after sitting overnight in my special rub and sprinkled with cider vinegar..in the oven for 3 hours....then on the charcoal with some woodchips (indirect grilling....sauced was the drippings from when they were in the oven, plus some more vinegar and some sweet baby rays....so it was applied almost as a mop....

along with some corn and watermelon.....it was a great meal...
    MellowRoast
    RE: Shanes Rib Shack 2008/06/08 18:58:12 (permalink)
    That's where it's at, Linda W. Shane's (if fact most restaurants) can't compete with that.
    Sandy Thruthegarden
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 624
    RE: Shanes Rib Shack 2008/06/09 07:47:13 (permalink)
    quote:

Hi, Ellen!

Yes, Shane's may be one of the most portion-conscious restaurants I've seen. You should seen the shallow, leveled servings of potato salad and other sides. I was stunned. Not what you expect from a BBQ joint. You expect them to be earthy, hospitable, and generous. And I'm willing to pay for that! Just give me a great experience and I'll be happy to pay for it.

We had one here in Northern Kentucky, at the Crestview Hills Towne Center. The first time we tried it for carry-out, we each got a huge portion of pulled pork, which was pretty tasty for chain food. The portions were so huge that I had the rest of mine for lunch the next day. We continued to order carry-out from time to time but the portions grew smaller and they never got the order right: sometimes no sauce, sometimes they forgot to put in the sides, etc. We gave it up. About a year after they opened, they played up a sort of sports bar theme that never really worked for a family restaurant. Not long after that, the place closed.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: Shanes Rib Shack 2008/06/10 23:20:49 (permalink)
    quote:

Hi, Ellen!

Yes, Shane's may be one of the most portion-conscious restaurants I've seen. You should seen the shallow, leveled servings of potato salad and other sides. I was stunned.

Hi Mellow Roast !
    I prefer places where the cooks' hand "slips" a little bit, as opposed to when that 8 ounce prime rib looks a little too exact, or a little too close to call... (I hate when I have to question myself "Is this even 8 ounces?!?")

I think places are better off having portions that look at least a little bigger than what is expected. (and just charge appopriately; do what you've gotta do) (but just don't look stingy, please..)
    Born in OKC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    RE: Shanes Rib Shack 2008/06/11 01:52:43 (permalink)
    Indifferent BBQ, around Atlanta at least. Not a destination more than once, but a place where you might pick up a sandwich if in a hurry and did not want to drive even a few miles for a better alternative.
    Bogeyman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: Shanes Rib Shack 2008/06/12 12:34:44 (permalink)
    Have not sampled Shane's though there are several around Atlanta. But why chance it when we have Harold's right downtown.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Shanes Rib Shack 2008/06/14 17:59:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Ort. Carlton, whatever happened to you? Glad you're still around.
    As a footnote, I didn't think Shane's was bad, I just thought it was unremarkable.

MellowRoast,
    I'm usually confined to lurk mode right now. The library is on short hours for Summer School: only until 10:00 P. M., so I don't have a lot of time to do extraneous sneezing around on the internet after I manage to finish whatever research I manage to accomplish of a day (whew -- that was a Faulkneresque sentence!).
    You're correct on that assessment about Shane's... acceptable but unremarkable. Shane sees to it that good ingredients are used, and his sauces aren't cloyingly sweet, but I leave there wishing for real pit-cooked pig... something where I can taste the wood.
    Now I gotta go home and work on cleaning out the house some more in betwixt and between the thunderrumblies that seem to be seeping into The Classic City... and we DO need the rain, beloveds.
    "Dark Clouds Rolling, Rain Be Falling Down" (as the late, great Silas Hogan sang on EXCELLO Records in 1962), Ort. Carlton in Nearly 'Bout Rainin' Athens, Georgia.
    MellowRoast
    RE: Shanes Rib Shack 2008/06/14 18:13:15 (permalink)
    Wasn't familiar with Silas Hogan, and couldn't find "Dark Clouds Rolling, Rain Be Falling Down", but scored with "Rats And Roaches In My Kitchen" and "Run Around Blues".

Excellent blues! Thanks for the tip.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Shanes Rib Shack 2008/06/15 21:36:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Wasn't familiar with Silas Hogan, and couldn't find "Dark Clouds Rolling, Rain Be Falling Down", but scored with "Rats And Roaches In My Kitchen" and "Run Around Blues".
    Excellent blues! Thanks for the tip.

MellowRoast,
    Silas Hogan was one of the Scotlandville/Baton Rouge blues performers who recorded for Excello during its mid-1960's heyday. He had seven singles on the label, all of which are collected on a CD (that is the reissue of an LP I think I have someplace).
    This does leave the topic of Shane's Rib Shack, but sometimes (as the man himself would say) it DO be necessary. -- Mr. Hogan was a great man; I hope he is never forgotten.
    As If On Both Blues And 'Cue, Ort. Carlton in Decent Athens, Georgia.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Shanes Rib Shack 2008/06/15 21:40:22 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    The original Shane's Rib Shack is a restaurant in McDonough, Georgia. In addition to his place (the real, live Shane is actually there on premises a lot of the time), there are at least two other BBQ places of repute in the area.
    The other locations are all franchised.
    With gas being so high, I've been unable to venture down to see what IS there. Alas, alack.
    Not On 'Cue Tonight, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1