Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice 2008/03/25 19:41:12 (permalink)
OKC try a google of ( "jimmy james" frenchmay.com )and follow the links. I hope that will work.

I thought first about the recipe section for a post about the search for Jimmy's recipe. I still think it could bring someone, that might know something more about the recipe, out of the woodworks. It could be suggested that anyone with more info about Jimmy might want to read this thread first. But??? I will wait and see what happens at the dallas site. There have been a few views of my new post there but the site is not working right for me today. I can get to the thread about Jimmy from Google, but not to the main index.

I think Mr. Plummer is on the square about his relationship with Jimmy. It does sound like the Jimmy my mom told me about, to help someone who has had a significant loss in their life. Im a poker player and can usually tell, even by words typed on the net, when someone is trying to pull the wool. I think most who knew Jimmy would say that he had a heart as big as Texas.

OKC, did you recegnise the guy who started the thread on the history site?

Typos and mispellings, Oh... I do more than my share. :~)
Joe

Oh, did I misspell "mispelling" again? I hope a bit of humor is OK on this thread.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice 2008/03/25 20:53:11 (permalink)
OKC, speaking of mispellings, ( thanks for reminding me! ) on March 17th. ( not sure what year? ) from 11 a.m. till 3 p.m, for 5$ a bowl, including a drink ( hmm, what kinda drink? ), in Tyler Tx. ( where are you ferret mom? ) you could have had 20 rotarians cook you their version of "Shanghi Jimmy's" Chili rice. I bet that if you signed up as a judge you could have sampled them all!

I know, I know, a run on sentence, or maybe worse? :~)
Joe

Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
RE: Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice 2008/03/26 07:08:02 (permalink)
One thing I have been meaning to offer is similar to the the process described for SJs everday or ordinary chili where the instruction was to use ground beef in one patty and only turn it once before breaking it up. My mother-in-law did that with ground beef when she made meat sauce for spaghetti and maybe chili also. Her reasoning was that the surfaces of the meat patty would cook hard before turning and you would have a more substantial seeming meat texture ingredient in the final product. I agree.

This is something that is probably obvious to experienced cooks and they do it or not IF they want that different texture. I've never looked in the ragu or bolognase recipes in roadfood, but if not published it would be worth offereing there also.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice 2008/03/26 11:49:24 (permalink)
Yep OKC, the patty thing works good, and makes good chili, or whatever, using ground meat. I started a thread here, in the chili section, about how to cook the meat. There is some good info there. I think I will bring that thread up.

When I mention northern chili, the Steak N Shake type chili, and the other folks that make that type of chili, is on my list of northern chilis. That is one thing that makes me think Jimmy might have skiped the browning process all together. I know from folks here that some of the northern chili recipes call for skipimg the browning process. Someone here at roadfood convinced me to try this. Not sure what thread, or who that was though? It makes the meat not stick together, and be very seperated. Browning always makes some or the meat stick together.

I am still having trouble geting to the dallashistory.org index. My new post has had 10 views though. I think those may be from email notices, or Googles? The main forum index just will not come up for me???

There is a new dallashistoryfreeforums.org web site. Makes me think the old web site might be history?

OKC, can you get to the index at the dallashistory.org site?
Joe
Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
RE: Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice 2008/03/26 14:07:36 (permalink)
I think that one of the recipes in Tolbert's Bowl of Red is for just dumping all the ingredients except maybe final seasoning and covering tightly and cooking over very low heat. I may have mentioned that at one time on this board or someone has. Especially if you include onions moisture will sweat out and you would always want to check liquid later anyway. I have cooked chili that way but it was a long time back.

Nowadays though, health freak that I am (NOT) I really prefer to start with a hunk of beef suet or at least bacon grease and go from there. I'll refrigerate the chili and pick the top if necessary.
Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
RE: Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice 2008/03/26 14:18:25 (permalink)
PJ8, I meant to say also that I can't get the INDEX in Dallas History. The only way I can get there is by GOOGLING as you suggested or by going from an e-mail advice of a response to a post. Yet, I have the sense that some thing is still running, or no one could make a new post. When I go to the lead screen there is a note that says "X messages added since your last visit." Generally there is some number there but I have the idea that there are not so many users as before.

Thanks for the tip about the 'free" replacement board. Mu PC crashed recently and I lost a lot of stuff including the address for that board. I am going to hunt for an explanation there.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice 2008/03/26 16:39:08 (permalink)
I get the same messages at the old history site. Weird that it is kinda sorta still working.

I will also "pick the top" when I have some "grease finicky" guests coming.

I mentioned this thread in the... ways to cook the meat thread. Several folks skip the browning deal.
Joe
Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
RE: Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice 2008/03/26 20:09:12 (permalink)
Would you check that address:

dallashistoryfreeforums.org

I do got get a result. Thanks
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice 2008/03/27 13:03:16 (permalink)
I just googled.. dallashistory forum.. and the free forum thing is first on the list. I went there and it looks like it's working. Looks like a dot, or maybe a comma, after dallashistory. Anyway it's easy to Google. I plan to sign up when I have a chance. There is a "dallas living" section for restauants and recipes. It has 92 topics in this section. I searched Shanghai jimmy but no results. It would have shown up in a google anyway. I even use Google to find things here. I know for sure that the search here misses things. I did a thread w/ a few examples. No prob, Google can find stuff here.

OKC, "I do get a result". What does that meen? Thanks.
Joe

PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice 2008/03/27 14:07:52 (permalink)
Ok, I made my first post, at the new Dallas history forum, in a thread called "no where but Texas" in the Dallas living section. Looks like not so many posters there yet. Most threads in the living section were made by the mod Teresa. Hey, maybe the site will grow?
Joe

Since my post at the old site has now had 12 views, I also made another post on the Jimmy thread, and asked what is going on.
Joe
Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
RE: Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice 2008/03/27 15:52:05 (permalink)
I should have said, "I do NOT get a result." Sorry. I think I meant I don't get an index as formerly, nada.

Also, I am thinking about changing my screen name to "confounded." Try as I will I can't GOOGLE dallashistory form and get anything that makes sense. Also, adding dallas living and no where but teaxas does not help.

It sounds like you are doing good work though.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice 2008/03/28 13:50:04 (permalink)
OKC, dallashistory forum, not "form". The free site still comes up first on my Google. Try this;

www.dallashistory.freeforums.org

I tested the link above and it works.

There is a neat article about New Mexico frito pie there. I made a post in it and mentioned this thread.
Joe
Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
RE: Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice 2008/03/29 06:01:19 (permalink)
Thank you for the link!
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice 2008/03/29 07:17:40 (permalink)
OKC, now if I can get you to that french may site. Shoot, it still comes up on the Google but when I click the link it says "error". The part you can see on the Google mentions Jimmy James as a close friend an busness partner. The article said of who. And, it had to do with Jimmy's Kitchen, and who started it.
Joe
Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
RE: Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice 2008/03/29 20:07:48 (permalink)
PJ8 -

Man, I hope you figure out that french may deal also. I still can't get there. As a matter of fact, if I use the link to dallas history free forums that you posted, I go to the board. If I try to enter the same information on the address line, then my return is (1) the Brockles Family web site and (2) a statistical analysis of the current dallas history on free forums, but nothing else.

So far as the Brockles family is concerned you may remember the discusssions on the "old" or original Dallas History Message Board about the restaurant and salad dressing. With reference to the latter, the salad dressing or chip / vegetable dip, several people posted what they said was the real recipe.

I never ate at the Brockles restaurant. I never had, SFAIK, any of the salad dressing or dip. On the Brockles Family web site, they give business and family history and flat out say that no posted internet recipe, as on the old Dallas History board is real.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice 2008/03/30 11:13:55 (permalink)
That's weird...

Ok, try this... Google "french may" jimmy james. Now take the 2nd link that says La Brasserie. I did the "view as HTML. The two "jimmys kitchen" write ups are there.

Some neat discussion about Frito Pie at the new history site. I wanted to get aquanted before starting a thread there. Who is going to make the post about Jimmy?
Joe
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice 2008/03/30 11:42:08 (permalink)
Well, Clyde brought up the subject of Jimmy, on the Tex Mex thread, at the new site. I will start the thread. I started it at the old site. Clyde may know something new.
Joe
OK, it's done. I mentioned this thread also.
Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
RE: Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice 2008/03/30 20:23:53 (permalink)
PJ8-

The bottom line for the following is that if can get to the "frenchnay" article again, or made a copy of it, please post it.

I am still unable to raise the "french may" or "frenchmay" article. I see the index or table of contents item that should be a link when I google, but the return is this address not found on the server ir something like that. All I have is a location, Wanchai, and a "business partner" Aaron Landau who was involved from the index item.

If you google more you can find that Wan Chai is a suburb of Hong Kong and that there are (or were, not sure if they are all open) two or three locations of Jimmy's Kitchen. There is a description of one of them:

Jimmy's Kitchen
1 Wyndham St
Central
Tel: 2526 5293
This restaurant opened in 1928, a replica of a similar American-owned restaurant in Shanghai. Now one of Hong Kong's oldest Western restaurants, Jimmy's Kitchen has had several homes before moving in the 1960s to its present site. Some of its waiters are descendants from the original staff. The daily specials are written on a blackboard, and an extensive a la carte menu offers salads and soups, steaks, chicken, Indian curries, and a seafood selection that includes sole, scallops, and the local garoupa. It's also a good place for corned beef and cabbage, beef Stroganoff, and hearty German fare, including Wiener schnitzel (breaded veal), pig's knuckle, and Knockwurst sausage.

This is similar to what you found, but apparently pertains to a business in Hong Kong. Whether the history that your article said was available at the restaurant is for a Hong Kong location or one in Shanghai I do not know. I do believe what I think of as the real true original "Jimmy's Kitchen" was in Shanhghai as mentioned in one of my books, but until I come across that elusive book again I can't be positive. Also, as I said previously I think several months ago I found references to a present day Jimmy's Kitchen in Shanghai as well as in Hong Kong.

Again I would comment that if anyone has a copy of the Chili Rice menu with the bio or cv on the back and can post it, or just recite the line about the "Jimmy's Kitchen" operated by SJ it might help. I'm pretty sure it included a location and opening date.

Also, if you google "Aaron Landau" and Wan Chai (Wanchai) you will find apparent references to other present day businesses with that name. This is interesting and it is not impossible that some one will see the Aaron Landau name snd it will prompt a memmory though not necessariy of chili.

But to go back to my first comment, if you have or can get that "frenchmay" article, [lease copy and post it.

PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice 2008/03/31 13:19:26 (permalink)
I am a dummy when it comes to the copy paste stuff. That link I mentioned above is gone now. I found the write ups another way, and at a different site called hkclubbing.com. Try this;

"shanghai jimmy" "jimmy james" "aaron landau"

It is the 2nd link, and starts La French May Menue, on my Google. I think this post may change that? There are the articles about both "kitchen" locations, and some stuff about their history.

OKC, maybe you can get them on here?
Joe
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice 2008/04/02 16:05:59 (permalink)
Bill, who knew Jimm'y to some degree, has found the thread at the new DH forum. He stressed that the LP recipe was not the "real" Chili Rice chile recipe.

So, what do we know for sure. Jimmy was a one man show so the ecipe needed to be fast and easy. It was mild, not greasy, and had no big chunks of meat. What else do we know about the chili, besides that is was tasty stuff?

There are a few things from the LP recipe that I think might fit;
Lemon juice
Sugar
Bay leaf

Chopped of ground beef? I can't remember? Lean round steak, not chuck, maybe so? Did Jimmy have a butcher prepare the meat to his liking, so it was ready to cook, maybe?

Jimmy served oyster crackers. That's a northern chili deal. Hey, Jimmy was from Minnesota.

And celery? It was for sure an optional topping. I have said often, here at Roadfood, that I am sure some secret northern chili recipes use some sort of celery, celery salt, or as someone suggested... celery seed.

Hey, we need to start somewhere.
Joe
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice 2008/04/05 12:10:29 (permalink)
More confermation at the new Dallas history site that Jimmy's Kitchen was started by Shanghai Jimmy.
Joe
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice 2008/04/07 11:56:08 (permalink)
Oh, one of the Jimmy's Kitchen was in Shanghai but it was later moved. This was mentioned in the write up at the hcclubbing site.

A good question came up at the history site. Has anyone actually seen Jimmy making chili?
Joe

If anyone has tried to email me prior to 3-4-08, my old email froze and I can not get into it. I now have a new email that works from here.
Joe
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice 2008/04/07 17:25:23 (permalink)
OKC, Weird how places keep disapearing! I found another way to find the write ups I mentioned earlier. Better hurry! Do a Google for;

jimmy's kitchen french may kowloon central james

No "s, It's the first link and take the HTML version.
Joe
Big Kahuna Kooks
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 490
RE: Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice 2008/04/09 14:15:02 (permalink)
Hawaiians have been eating chili rice for years and it is a staple at the local L&Ls and Zippys. My mom fixed it that way when I was growing up and for the longest time I never had chili without rice. It wouldn't surprise me if Jimmy stumbled ontot this local delicacy on his many travels tot the orient as he would have to have laid over in honolulu....
Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
RE: Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice 2008/04/09 21:11:20 (permalink)
B K K -

You make an interesting point, actually several. Jimmy lived in the Orient for more than twenty years and operated eateries. I am sure he was well familiar with the practice of putting a portion of a stir fry say on the contents of a rice bowl. In fact, his small portion was given in a carboard container, an 8 oz. "tub" as he called it with the chili and sometimes the other ingredients on top. That "tub" was about the size of the individual rice bowl I see in Chinese Restaurants. The large 16 oz. tub differed by being taller.

One of these days someone will run down all of the items in past Dallas newspapers about Jimmy. One of them had a story to the effect that one of his customers complained about beans in chili because, "They do something to me," leading Jimmy to serve chili over rice. I think that article implied, if it did not actually state, that happened in China. I infer that places he operated, like "Jimmy's Kitchen," mentioned more on the Dallas History Message Board offered chili as part of their American style (well, maybe Hawaiian style) menu. I would comment that Chinese (Cantonese anyway) dishes generally have only a small amount of meat and a lot of vegetables in the sauce - as I am sure you know - whereas the vegetable content in Jimmy's chili was too well integrated to be detected. I have eaten a Viet dish that was mostly shrimp, dried shrimo, red peppers, and oi, sort of a seafood chili.

I really hope we hear from you again. I hope you can post a Hawaiian recipe for chili and if it was used by your mother, well so much the better! I'd also like to know if toppings like chopped onions and cheese are offered in the Islands. Thanks again for a very interesting post.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice 2008/05/10 15:52:25 (permalink)
Yep, I would love to see some Hawaiian chili recipes also! Big one?

Anyone searching the net for info about Shanghai Jimmy... there is some great new info at the new Dallas History site. The stuff on that site does not come up well in the net search things. Try the link below and go to the "Dallas Living" section. Some of the info is on a thread about the "ribshack". The other threads have a something in the name about Shanghai Jimmy;

www.dallashistory.freeforums.org

Joe
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice 2008/06/06 13:04:53 (permalink)
Empress Chili tried a location in Dallas at one time. On the menu was "Shanghai Jimmy's famous chili rice". There is an article from the Dallas Observer about this. It can be found by doing a search at Ask.com for;

"shanghai jimmy" chili

Anyone know someone at Empress? Someone there must have Jimmy's recipe. Would they be willing to share it w/ the chili loving world is the next question?

And... anyone searching the net for info about Jimmy should check out the Dallas History site link above. Lots of new stuff coming to light. The forum there does not show up well in searches for Jimmy.
Joe
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice 2008/06/23 16:25:06 (permalink)
The new Dallas history site was down for awhile. For anyone interested it's back up now.

And, anyone who has not tried chili over rice... it's oh so nice. I like cheese between my rice and chili.
Joe
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice 2008/07/09 15:05:24 (permalink)
If anyone stumbles onto his thread who remembers Jimmy's chili, we need your input. Anything you remember would be helpful.

One question was about the meat. Was it ground or small cubes?
Joe
White Rose
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice 2009/03/31 19:14:26 (permalink)
I hope this isn't old or (worse) spurious information, but I came across this article online while doing a Google search for "Shanghai Jimmy Chili Rice."  It's from a amgazine called "D Magazine," which is apparently dedicated to weddings in Dallas.  The article is date August 1, 1985, and is from the "Street Talk" section of the August 1985 edition:

There's good news for chili rice lovers. Culinary institution Shanghai Jimmy has spent the last few months looking for someone who might give him some space so he could cook and sell his chili rice the way he likes to do it. He found a home in a new health food restaurant, Dessert Dreams, that's owned by a fan of Jimmy's, Mary O'Brien. There's one catch. O'Brien doesn't sell meat, so in keeping with the theme, Jimmy uses vegetables in his chili instead of meat.

I would have thought 1985 would be too late, but I'm not that knowledgeable about SJ.  Ayway, I could only get a Google cache of the article.  Here it is.

http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:0LYYEhzAR8YJ:www.dweddings.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmod.asp%3Fsid%3D5C1933F1D01C4247A724BAB13C6E670B%26nm%3Dtest%26type%3DMultiPublishing%26mod%3DPublishingTitles%26mid%3D7155F7796F354F21B1183937D847D6DF%26AudId%3D29CB3DCAC7E94A08B642EC371FE6E70B%26tier%3D4%26id%3D23B22717109A4382A0A2F19AB1DE46BA+%22shanghai+jimmy%22+chili+rice&cd=43&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

(Long link!)

Sorry if this has been posted before.

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1