Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings in Lexington, KY

Author
DirtDude
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 161
2010/09/24 19:58:49 (permalink)

Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings in Lexington, KY

I made a trip back up to Lexington, KY last weekend to see Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings. Unfortunatley most of the bands I like don't get down to SC to often, mostly just to Atlanta. But it was a good excuse to see my friends and enjoy some early fall weather in Kentucky. I left about 4am last Friday so I could enjoy the town a little and didn't really hit any food on the way up, mostly because I was saving up for my favorites in Lexington.

I started by meeting some guys at Lynaghs Pub, which was close to the University of Kentucky's campus. We hit this place up a lot for beer and burgers at lunch back in the day . They have music on the weekends; its your all around, slightly dirty, college hangout. I realized I missed all the tattooed freaky people you get in these towns, Florence has a general lack of freaky people, but plenty of people in golf shirts.

I got the O'Round, which was one of my favorite burgers in town, outside of Ramseys and Marikkas.  Wasn't as good as I remembered, still glad I got to hit up the old pub.

13 Replies Related Threads

DirtDude
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings in Lexington, KY 2010/09/24 20:00:50 (permalink)
    Then that night we got to see Sharon Jones at Buster's, they are really changing that town around because of the Equestrian Games coming in. Busters used to be an old, ugly, dirty, dirty, dirty, pool hall next to the Dame downtown. But this place was nice. I got right up on the stage and took plenty of photos. If you like motown, I suggest you check out Sharon Jones.

DirtDude
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings in Lexington, KY 2010/09/24 20:12:35 (permalink)
    At the show a friend told us that Al's Bar was going to have a bluegrass and brunch buffet on Saturday. Al's Bar started up a few years ago in a "rougher" side of town, these guys wanted to bring a quality pub out there. Some people over react to this side of town, I have been out there at 2am at Als, no problems. So if you ever stop in to have one of their locally grown menu items, don't sweat the neighborhood. In fact as I sat there Saturday morning, I loved that it was a niehborhood. Everyone was shouting across the street as they walked by, talking about what they did last night, how everyone was doing. Hard to see that in the condo where I live.

Here is your buffet line. All of their food is locally grown, and is really high quality.

Here is my plate of food. On there you have some really great country ham, not too salty. The grits were spicy, some kind of cajun seasoning was added to them. The potatoes were a mix of sweet and regular, also with some cajun spices. On top of that biscuit is a portobello mushroom gravy. I really can't express how good this was for a buffet, looking at it makes me hungry again.

Also had some tomatoe bisque, for the vegetarians who don't like my plate above:

And a chocolate chip/pecan pancake, just because it was there. I was already full by the time they brought them out.

And don't forget the bluegrass!!! Actually this was more like old time fiddle songs. It made great background music while we were eating. So if you are in Lexington on Saturday morning I would check this out. It is new though, don't know if they will continue doing it.

DirtDude
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings in Lexington, KY 2010/09/24 20:21:49 (permalink)
    Stella's Kentucky Deli is owned by the same people as Al's bar, it is a good place to bring friends together when I am in town. Everyone is always willing to meet here. Really it has been the best breakfast in town, at least until they got Al's into the game as well.

http://www.stellaskentuckydeli.com/

Below is the Sunday brunch menu, which I guess you can't really read:

Below is my plate of food, you can see an Al's bar advertisement in the back. The food is very similar to Al's bar in taste (obviously, since it is the same owners), so if you can hit up either one you will be in good spirits. I got a 4 item combo, including french toast, biscuit and gravy, sausage, and some kind of egg dish. It was so much food I didn't eat for hours.

Sorry, thats all I've got on this trip. I ate at friends houses the rest of the time, and didn't hit anything to interesting on the way back. But I have wanted to share these places with you guys, just didn't have the photos before!

ken8038
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1601
    Re:Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings in Lexington, KY 2010/09/24 23:00:01 (permalink)
    Loved this report! As a fan of 60's soul music, Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings are about as close as you can get to the real thing in 2010. So, how were they?? I saw them once, in Brooklyn NY and I was amazed.

That plus the great food and cool bars must have made for a great weekend. Thanks for the report!
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings in Lexington, KY 2010/09/25 07:16:31 (permalink)
    Great report and great looking food!
    agnesrob
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings in Lexington, KY 2010/09/25 07:22:23 (permalink)
    Nice report! thanks for sharing.
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1165
    Re:Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings in Lexington, KY 2010/09/25 07:38:37 (permalink)
    I liked this report, and especially the music and food shots, so much that I tracked down your photostream on flickr just now. You definitely get to the heart of what's important in your photography. This shot of her onstage is exactly what I like to see in music photography. They have played her music quite a bit on WXPN (University of Pennsylvania) here. Unfortunately, I've had to make all of my old concert shots private to only friends/family because of rotten photo thieves, so I picnik in a watermark on every food shot now. That buffet looks goooooood.
    post edited by harriet1954 - 2010/09/25 07:40:41
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings in Lexington, KY 2010/09/26 14:37:24 (permalink)
    DirtDude, your taste in music is as good as your taste in food.  Awesome pictures too!  When did Larry David start playing bluegrass?  ;)
    DirtDude
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings in Lexington, KY 2010/10/02 19:55:44 (permalink)
    ken8038- Sharon Jones was great, she can really keep you entertained, and the Dap Kings were tight as the backing band.

Nancypalooza- Good call on Larry David! I didn't notice that!
    sk bob
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings in Lexington, KY 2010/10/02 21:41:32 (permalink)
    music & food, good report DirtDude.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    Re:Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings in Lexington, KY 2010/10/03 06:36:29 (permalink)
    Looks like a killer trip---great read too---thanks!

Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    Re:Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings in Lexington, KY 2010/10/03 08:27:51 (permalink)
    Sharon Jones and her group stayed at the hotel where I work last year. I'm a concierge and ended up taking them to a bunch of radio spots and even had lunch with them! What a nice bunch of people. Down to earth and not stuck on themselves like a lot of celebs that stay at the hotel.  Great report! Not enough music commentary on here.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6361
    Re:Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings in Lexington, KY 2010/10/03 09:09:26 (permalink)
    Nice report...ooohh that southern style breakfast!!! Love those spicy grits!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1