Shelbyville, Kentucky 1/24/09

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
susanll
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1077
Re:Shelbyville, Kentucky 1/24/09 2009/06/20 18:16:43 (permalink)
Fried Chicken! My favorite.

Creamed spinach -

Fresh spinach   sauteed in olive oil with a couple garlic clove presses. 

Let it barely simmer until it is wilted.  Add a 1/2 cup of cream.  Simmer until the cream is about gone.  Add a couple handfulls of grated parm. Let that melt.  Black pepper.  No need for salt as the parm is a salty cheese.
rumaki
  • Total Posts : 1030
Re:Shelbyville, Kentucky 1/24/09 2009/07/20 11:19:40 (permalink)
Update on Shelbyville, KY dining at Science Hill Inn:

My husband and I had another marvelous lunch at the Inn at Science Hill on Friday, July 17.

He had the chicken salad again, which he loves.  It comes with a delicious corn fritter, as well as fruit.

I had the special, which was halibut sauteed with a caper-butter sauce, served with glazed carrots, smashed potatoes, and green beans.  It was perfectly cooked and simply delicious.  The chef told us her daughter had prepared it.  It was as good a treatment of halibut as I've had anywhere.

For dessert, we shared a slice of "brown sugar pie" (really chess pie) with an almond crust and fresh whipped cream.   It was SO good. 

But the best part was the service.  I told the waitress that I was really torn between the special and their fried chicken.  (On my last visit, I'd had the hot brown, which was really good, but I was interested in trying other things.) 

I'm picky about my fried chicken, but was prepared to try it as part of my scientific exploration of fried chicken in that part of Kentucky.  The waitress said their chicken is "really good," and that Julia Child had eaten it there many years ago and loved it. 

But that halibut . . . I just couldn't decide.

So, the waitress said, "Well, the chef could fix you a sample -- say, one wing -- if you'd like."

The wing is my favorite part of the chicken, so I was delighted to accept.

The wing was EXCELLENT.  The next time I go to Science Hill, I will have to have the chicken. 

Even though the halibut special was wonderful, I've got to try a full portion of chicken.

We also were served hot water corn bread and biscuits.  Both were very good, with the corn bread getting a slight edge.

As  I've said before, this place is very much a "ladies who lunch" type of place, with wait staff that have been there forever, linen tablecloths and napkins, etc.  But that said, it doesn't seem to have a dress code, although  many of those dining there seem very well-heeled -- which they'd have to be, if they are going to shop in the adjacent Wakefield-Scearce Galleries, where the antique silver is beautiful but incredibly expensive.

They serve only lunch, and are closed on Mondays. Reservations are strongly recommended. 

ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8323
Re:Shelbyville, Kentucky 1/24/09 2009/07/20 11:39:29 (permalink)
Susan-your creamed spinach recipe sounds awesome. My dad would have loved it...and rumaki-your experienceat the Inn sounds wonderful. I, too, love wings and am delighted they gave you a sample.Could you describe the chicken salad?
rumaki
Re:Shelbyville, Kentucky 1/24/09 2009/07/20 11:49:29 (permalink)
I'm not a chicken salad connoisseur, as my husband is, but he liked the chicken salad so much on our last visit that we bought the cookbook (I think it is called "What I Like Best About Dining at the Gills' . .  .," or something like that -- the Gills are the owners), and made it for us at home. 

I'm at work, and don't have access to the cookbook now, but it's basically a white-meat chicken salad with the chicken in chunks, with diced celery and gherkins, and very little mayonnaise -- just enough to hold it together. 

My husband had chicken salad at lunch on Saturday at the Trustees House restaurant at Shakertown (Pleasant Hill).  He likes theirs, too, but says the one at Science Hill is superior.

Here's a link to the Science Hill menu:  http://www.wakefieldscearce.com/menu.aspx
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Shelbyville, Kentucky 1/24/09 2009/07/20 11:52:54 (permalink)
Thanks for the info-sounds good and simple.
rumaki
Re:Shelbyville, Kentucky 1/24/09 2009/07/20 12:11:21 (permalink)
I just checked with my husband, and he said to add the following to my description of the Science Hill chicken salad:

"Very high quality chicken.  And lots of black pepper.  It's 'peppery.'"

ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Shelbyville, Kentucky 1/24/09 2009/07/20 13:16:41 (permalink)

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1