Shelf Life of cooking grease

Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13521
2004/02/01 17:31:29 (permalink)

Shelf Life of cooking grease

I hae always had a concern about the shelf life of cooking grease. I like to keep my bacon and sausage grease. I worry about spoilage as I know it has to degrade.

Does anyone know about the proper way to maintain and how long you can use it before it becomes rancid?

The rendered fat is usable in a lot of dishes and foods that I prepare. I like to maintain it but not at the expense of the family health.

Thanks for you input.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

15 Replies Related Threads

JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Shelf Life of cooking grease 2004/02/01 18:44:44 (permalink)
    Paul, I've also wondered about this very question. I'll keep freshly rendered fat, like bacon grease, sitting out, for maybe a week. After that, it gets refrigerated.

I think you can keep it sitting out longer, but I have no idea how long that is.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3538
    RE: Shelf Life of cooking grease 2004/02/01 18:56:05 (permalink)
    I have a jar of bacon grease in the refrigerator that I've had for easily five years. I use some, I add some, I use some more, I add some more. We've never gotten sick after eating something I've made with it.

I realize this isn't an actual "official" answer, but that's how it works at my house. I've seen it suggested that it be used within 2-3 days even if refrigerated.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3308
    RE: Shelf Life of cooking grease 2004/02/01 21:09:20 (permalink)
    I've always wondered about this. Here's an article from the Columbia University Health Department that's worth the time to read. And no "Go Ask Alice" jokes after reading it.

www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/2277.html
    Sushi_Girl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: Shelf Life of cooking grease 2004/02/02 15:08:10 (permalink)
    My in-laws cook everything in bacon grease and every single time i go over there i get a tummy-ache. they dont refrigerate it. thats not good is it? so when she asks for what kind of eggs i want.i always say POACHED.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Shelf Life of cooking grease 2004/02/02 15:21:43 (permalink)
    ChicagoStyle:

Thanks for the web site. It provided some insight on the life of oil. I am guilty of mixing oils and some of the other sins mentioned.

The smoking point was really useful. Apparently lard is the lowest on the list. It also taste the best.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Shelf Life of cooking grease 2004/02/02 16:29:48 (permalink)
    I too add, use, add, use. It'd be hard to say how old the grease on the bottom of the jar would be! I always keep my refrigerated. Had to start over failrly recently. Like an idiot I removed my grease jar from the fridge and added fresh grease that was a little too warm. The bottom of the jar busted out and it all went on my kitchen floor.

I looked in my local grocer last week for just LARD, none. Crisco solid was as close as I got. You'd think that where I live more lard would be sold than anything, we have some COUNTRY folks, some have been around since the city was founded. When you say specific last names everybody body knows who you're talking about. The city is made up mainly of 4-5 different families......
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Shelf Life of cooking grease 2004/02/02 16:40:15 (permalink)
    Rusty: Super Walmart sells it. I have bought it there to fry chicken.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Rusty246
    RE: Shelf Life of cooking grease 2004/02/02 16:54:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Rusty: Super Walmart sells it. I have bought it there to fry chicken.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

We have a Super Walmart located in a little town called Chiefland which is about 20 miles from me, thanks Paul I'll check it out. We go to that area camping at some of the local springs, we're surrounded by them actually. Chiefland is also home of Bell's Restaurant(family owned, no chain). Friday and Saturday nights from 4:30p to 9p, they host an all you can eat seafood buffet, chowders, 30 item salad bar, dessert bar, all for $17.95. It's fresh, fresh. Very close to the Gulf this area. One thing I like is that just about everything that's on the bar, fish, scallops, shrimp, you can have it broiled, fried or both!
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Shelf Life of cooking grease 2004/02/02 17:10:00 (permalink)
    Rusty, Thanks so much for telling us about Bell's Restaurant. I saved the information for a possible visit, and will send it to a cousin in Gainesville.

I bought lard not too long ago that was old and becoming rancid. I think it had set on a grocer's shelf too long before selling. I will probably buy it again sometime (for a change of pace), but will first check for freshness.
    Rusty246
    RE: Shelf Life of cooking grease 2004/02/02 17:19:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by JimInKy

Rusty, Thanks so much for telling us about Bell's Restaurant. I saved the information for a possible visit, and will send it to a cousin in Gainesville.

I bought lard not too long ago that was old and becoming rancid. I think it had set on a grocer's shelf too long before selling. I will probably buy it again sometime (for a change of pace), but will first check for freshness.

When you contact your cousin here, tell he/she to get their hands on a couple of Mega Books(phone books), they have buy one get one coupons in there for Bell's!
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3538
    RE: Shelf Life of cooking grease 2004/02/03 13:34:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sushi_Girl

My in-laws cook everything in bacon grease and every single time i go over there i get a tummy-ache. they dont refrigerate it. thats not good is it? so when she asks for what kind of eggs i want.i always say POACHED.

If it's not refrigerated, you're lucky all you get is a stomach ache. Just leaving it out on the counter will turn it rancid in no time.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7012
    RE: Shelf Life of cooking grease 2004/02/03 15:43:26 (permalink)
    I keep bacon fat, duck fat and goose fat in the fridge and it seems to last forever, I've never had it go rancid.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Shelf Life of cooking grease 2004/02/03 16:11:15 (permalink)
    lleechef: I was sorta hoping that you would respond. You have a lot of restaurant experience. I also appreciate the other input. What you cook with can improve things but it also can screw things up as Bushie pointed out on another thread when he put a whole bottle of Makers Mark in his smoker. He would have been better off putting it in another container.

I think keeping it in the frige is key and also not mixing it, strain it to keep out things that will cause it to degrade.

I have found my burgers that I pan fry taste better in sausage grease? Maybe it would with bacon grease but I have never tried doing that.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7012
    RE: Shelf Life of cooking grease 2004/02/04 01:02:46 (permalink)
    Sundancer, if you want a REAL treat, thinly slice some Idaho potatoes and fry in duck or goose grease. When they're nearly done and browned add some chanterelle or morel mushrooms and continue browning (of course you had already added several cloves of garlic).

The French are champions at cooking/preserving in duck/goose fat. One of my FAVORITE, FAVORITE dishes (a HUGE success at my restaurant) is confit de canard. You take duck legs and thighs and cure them 24 hrs. in rock salt, thyme and bay leaves. Then you "boil" them (actually simmer them) in their own rendered fat (they MUST be covered entirely) very very very slooooowly for about 2 hours. Cool all. Pour a layer of fat in a stone crock, place a layer of duck legs/thighs, add more fat, more duck, etc, etc. You can keep your duck all winter in a cool place like this. When you want to eat, you dig a few pieces of duck out of the fat, put in a saute pan, slowly, slowly, heat them up, brown, pour off the fat, make some nice fried potatoes with wild mushrooms. Serve the duck over a nice chiffonade of Savoy cabbage with a fortified reduction of apple cider.

You won't be disappointed. I have had customers at the restaurant that had NEVER eaten duck and said it was the best thing they'd ever eaten! Duck fat also rules!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Shelf Life of cooking grease 2004/02/06 19:37:03 (permalink)
    lleechef: I like your thoughts on goose and duck greese, but we cannot buy that in east Tennessee. Where do you purchase. It ain't in Walmart or Krogers????

Thanks
    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1