Shelf life of biscuit dough?

Author
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2880
2005/07/01 09:26:46 (permalink)

Shelf life of biscuit dough?

Can you make biscuit dough ahead of time and leave it in the refrigerator overnight, or freeze it? Does it depend on the leavening used?

2 Replies Related Threads

brightcopperkettles
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 200
    RE: Shelf life of biscuit dough? 2005/07/02 19:12:05 (permalink)
    The dough for "angel biscuits," which utilizes yeast, a touch of sugar, and buttermilk is actually SUPPOSED to be refrigerated for a while (because after you take the dough out of the fridge, you shape them and have to let them rise a while), so if you just want a nice biscuit dough to keep for no more than 2 or 3 days, then this would work nicely for you.

For frozen angel biscuits, the way we Southerners do it is to make the biscuits, brown part way, until risen but not brown, then freeze them. Takes practice to get it right, but it can be done, although they're not quite as good as fresh.

Not sure about your baking powder variety biscuits, but if memory serves, you can do the same thing as far as freezing them, though you really lose a lot of what makes baking powder biscuits so wonderful (tender flake) in my humble opinion. Biscuit dough goes together so quickly (hence the term quick bread), it's usually easier to just to make it as you need it.

EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2880
    RE: Shelf life of biscuit dough? 2005/07/04 02:27:46 (permalink)
    Sometimes I make them with cream, and sometimes I make baking powder biscuits.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1