The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Sherman's Dairy

danimal15

• Total Posts: 1092
Sherman's Dairy Wed, 07/7/04 4:03 PM (permalink)
I had a cookies and cream cone at the Sherman's Dairy in Bridgman, Mich. over the holiday weekend and was once again reminded why this is the best ice cream place in the Midwest. Creamy and rich.

Until this weekend, we hadn't realized there was one in Bridgman, right on the Red Arrow Highway and only 20 minutes from our vacation home in Buchanan. We used to schlep all the way up to South Haven, where there's always a huge line on summer nights for the Sherman's just outside town. But the guy behind the counter told me this one in Bridgman has been there for 30 years.

By the way, there's a place next door called "The Chicken Roost" (I think that's the name) that brags about "crispy chicken" on its sign. I'd already had dinner, but I'll definitely try it sometime and get back to everyone on it.

michaelgemmell

• Total Posts: 673
    RE: Sherman's Dairy Thu, 07/8/04 3:35 PM (permalink)
    If I have to go there myself, I'm determined to go to Warren Dunes State Park. Danimal, perhaps you know the trick there of parking in the lots for the picnic areas away from the beach and walking down into the sandy-bottomed creek all the way into the Lake, avoiding the hot sand or the hotter asphalt in the beach parking lots. This also puts you at the far western edge of the park, away from the rest rooms but also the majority of the crowds. It's my favorite Lake Michigan Beach, and unlike the Rogers Park beaches, the water is warmer, clean and e-coli-free. May I have the directions to Sherman's in Bridgeman from there? Thanks!

Still following a pattern started over 20 years ago, we leave the City at noon, arriving at Warren Dunes about 2 PM Central time--but Michigan is on Eastern Time, so it's 3 PM to the locals and they're in the process of packing up the screaming no-napped kiddies and vacating their prize parking spaces--for us. Nowadays I stop in Michigan City to visit the grave of my late partner on the way, but his teenage hangout there, Morrison's Root Beer Stand, unfortunately, is only a memory. On our way home we usually eat at a roadhouse called Pumps on 12, meaning US 12 in The Pines between Bevery Shores and Michigan City, Indiana. I ate there last August, and the food is still great and a good value. This also puts us on the congested freeways back into the City a little later. I-94 was a mess even at 9 PM on a weeknight last summer. Should I take the toll road and the Skyway?

That ice cream cone just before we get to the Dunes should be about perfect. Thanks for your suggestion and thanks in advance for your directions and route suggestions!

danimal15

• Total Posts: 1092
      RE: Sherman's Dairy Fri, 07/9/04 4:59 PM (permalink)
      Michael:

I can't remember the exact location of this Sherman's - whether it was north or south of Warren Dunes. Looking at the map, I have to believe it was north of the state park, on the east side of the road. It's pretty easy to see. We found it even though we weren't looking for it!

Thanks for your suggestion on going to Warren Dunes. I'll have to try that. We have two kids ourselves, so we might want to get there after all the other crabby kids leave so ours can be crabby on their own!

I know about Pumps on 12, having worked in Michigan City for a while about a decade ago. Never tried it, but maybe one of these days.

Another place to try on the Red Arrow Highway is the Red Arrow Roadhouse, which I think I've mentioned here before.

Dan

michaelgemmell

• Total Posts: 673
        RE: Sherman's Dairy Fri, 07/9/04 5:42 PM (permalink)
        No prob finding Sherman's, then. Bridgman is northeast of the Dunes. Thanks!

garryd451

• Total Posts: 699
          RE: Sherman's Dairy Tue, 12/28/04 11:55 PM (permalink)
          there is also a Sherman's in downtown New Buffalo and for people that are going to their cottages at Sister's lakes, Indian Lake and Magcian Lake, there is a Sherman's in decatur, Michigan. And also a Sheman's in Orchard Mall near Benton Harbor just off I-94

garryd451

RE: Sherman's Dairy Fri, 04/29/05 2:23 PM (permalink)

NEW 2005 FLAVORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Flavors for 2005

Cake Batter - Cake Batter Flavored Ice Cream with Pieces of yellow Cake and swirled with thick fudge chocolate icing.

Cinnamon Buns - Brown Sugar Ice Cream with cinnamon roll pieces and swirled with caramel icing.

Hopscotch - Vanilla Ice Cream with a blend of butterscotch morsels and praline pecans and swirled with butterscotch.

New Item For 2005

Strawberry Shortcake Sundaes

Other Items

Waffle Bowl Sundaes - Sundaes Served in Waffle Bowls

Tour of Sherman's - Which will be six small (golf ball size) scoops of ice cream in a dish. Customers may choose their flavors. We have had requests in the past for sampler plates and now our customers can create their own. It's a perfect way to try a flavor that perhaps your not accustomed to ordering.

Summer Fling- Vanilla ice cream on a chocolate cookie smothered with hot fudge, hot Carmel, nestle crunch pieces topped with whip cream & a cherry. Served on a take home Frisbee.

Ice Cream Bars $2.55 (Vanilla & Butter Pecan) Frozen Bananas $1.95 (dipped in Chocolate)

Frisbee($1.90)- small Frisbees with our Sherman logo on it.

Key chains($3.25)- a key chain of our Sherman's logo.

Hats $10.00
            Coffee Mugs $4.50
            Adult tee's $12.00
            Children's $9.00
            Adult Sweatshirts $20.00

We have rearranged a little bit; We've added an 8 flavor freezer for additional flavors while using a small T-shirt case and novelty freezer. Ice Cream Bars and Frozen Bananas will be available on a self serve Basis. Cone Heads will still be available but on a make as we go basis. This will keep them fresher and the children can choose exactly which flavor they wish.

Our Dairy Bar is Now Serving
            Vanilla Amaretto Cherry Black Cherry
            Black Walnut Blue Moon Butter Pecan
            Cappucino Carmel Carmel Carmel Chocolate
            Chocolate Almond Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Chocolate Malt Supreme
            Chocomania Coconut Almond Fudge Cotton Candy Confetti
            French Silk Grasshopper Lemon Custard
            Mackinac Island Fudge Mint Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cup
            Praline Pecan Sherman Tracks Strawberry
            Strawberry Cheesecake Toffe Fantastic Turtle
            Rainbow Sherbet Mackinac Island Fudge (Low Fat Yogurt) (No Sugar Added) Cherry Vanilla
            Mango Passion Fruit Sorbet

Hopefully you're as excited about the 2005 season as we are!

See you soon!

tsores

• Total Posts: 653
              RE: Sherman's Dairy Fri, 04/29/05 2:54 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by garryd451

there is also a Sherman's in downtown New Buffalo and for people that are going to their cottages at Sister's lakes, Indian Lake and Magcian Lake, there is a Sherman's in decatur, Michigan. And also a Sheman's in Orchard Mall near Benton Harbor just off I-94

I have not seen a Sherman's in downtown New Buffalo. There is, however, Oink's that serves Sherman's ice cream.

sauceman

• Total Posts: 184
                RE: Sherman's Dairy Fri, 04/29/05 3:01 PM (permalink)
                Down South here, we sort of shy away from anything with the S______ word in the name. May be a distant relation to W.T.

Fred Sauceman

garryd451

RE: Sherman's Dairy Fri, 04/29/05 3:06 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by tsores

quote:
                  Originally posted by garryd451

I have not seen a Sherman's in downtown New Buffalo. There is, however, Oink's that serves Sherman's ice cream.

You are Right! I stand corrected!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com