Shirataki noodles

Author
marky
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 104
2006/03/15 10:05:22 (permalink)

Shirataki noodles

these noodles have no fat little carbs and 20 calories per serving. cannot buy them everyone says they want them but they are not available. can someone help

4 Replies Related Threads

porkbeaks
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2215
    RE: Shirataki noodles 2006/03/15 10:12:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by marky

these noodles have no fat little carbs and 20 calories per serving. cannot buy them everyone says they want them but they are not available. can someone help

The BBQ forum isn't the best place to find a food item with the healthy characteristics of these noodles....pb
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Shirataki noodles 2006/03/15 13:06:50 (permalink)
    Google being a good buddy of mine, I found: http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=1277 which has 3 brands and several shapes at $1.39 or $1.49 per package. IfYOU Google "shirataki" you'll find many more such places selling them including, apparently, Amazon.com.

For general reference, I've found almost any obscure grocery you might want is now readily available online (and in many cases for not much more than you'd pay in a small independent store even including shipping).
    zataar
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: Shirataki noodles 2006/03/15 14:38:11 (permalink)
    Do you have any Japanese/Korean markets in your area? I've never been in one that has not had shirataki, also known as ito konnyaku. They are one of the traditional ingredients in Sukiyaki. Here is one of my favorite recipes for shirataki, from a Kimiko Barber recipe. It's good by itself or with some steamed fish and sauteed spinach with a ground sesame dressing.

Shirataki Noodles with Mushrooms

1 7oz. package shirataki noodles, also known as ito konnyaku, blanched briefly in boiling water and drained
    2 Tbl. vegetable oil
    1 tsp. Japanese sesame oil
    8 large fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
    4 oz. shimeji mushrooms, trimmed and separated (shimeji look like the shiitake version of enoki mushrooms, if unavailable use 6 more shiitake. Don’t substitute enoki.)
    1 small piece konbu (dried kelp) about 1"x3", wiped clean and torn in half

Cooking broth:
    Mix together:
    1/3 cup water
    1/2 cup sake
    2 Tbl. mirin
    2 –3 Tbl. Japanese soy sauce, such as Yamasa

Cut noodles into short lengths, about 2". Heat oils together in a saucepan to medium heat, add noodles and mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes. Add sauce mixture and konbu and simmer over low heat, skimming often, until sauce has reduced by about half. This can be served warm or at room temperature. It reheats well.
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Shirataki noodles 2006/03/15 15:49:01 (permalink)
    See if there's an Asian market near you. There's one in Lexington, KY that has them in the refrigerated section. We use them to make "low carb" Pad Thai.

Andrea
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1