Shoo fly pie??

Author
djstar
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2008/06/13 11:04:36 (permalink)

Shoo fly pie??

I was sure I would find my answer here, but they only came up with one review and recipe of Dutch Corner.
I recently was in Philly and wanted to do a hunt that I took 35 years ago when I spent a summer in Maryland. We drove up to York PA and hunted wet and dry bottom shoo-fly pies. Figuring it is much easier to drive through PA than Arizona, I started googling and looking and hitting all the shops within a reasonable range of where the beau was working for the week, in Wilmington DE. The closest I found was in Lancaster county, and it was too long for his schedule to be without a car. I did find one site that would ship me one for $30 or so.
BUT it seems like such a road trip necessity...
I was in the Reading Station on a TUESDAY, not a Wednesday and apparently missed the PA Dutch vendors.
Instead of running like a chicken, is there any one who was lucky enough to find any of these molassasy gems within an hour or so of Delaware/Philly? I will send the boyfriend out on a run if I can guarantee success next trip!

7 Replies Related Threads

Red Head
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Shoo fly pie?? 2008/06/13 11:47:27 (permalink)
    You might want to try the Boothwyn Farmer's Market. It is off of 202 almost on the PA/DE border. It's less than 30 minutes from Wilmington

http://www.boothscorner.com/directory.asp
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6322
    RE: Shoo fly pie?? 2008/06/13 16:02:56 (permalink)
    https://store.bird-in-hand.com/store_2/shop.htm?category=76

You can order one from the heart of Amish Country,Bird-in-hand PA!
    Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Shoo fly pie?? 2008/06/13 16:30:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by djstar

I was sure I would find my answer here, but they only came up with one review and recipe of Dutch Corner.
    I recently was in Philly and wanted to do a hunt that I took 35 years ago when I spent a summer in Maryland. We drove up to York PA and hunted wet and dry bottom shoo-fly pies. Figuring it is much easier to drive through PA than Arizona, I started googling and looking and hitting all the shops within a reasonable range of where the beau was working for the week, in Wilmington DE. The closest I found was in Lancaster county, and it was too long for his schedule to be without a car. I did find one site that would ship me one for $30 or so.
    BUT it seems like such a road trip necessity...
    I was in the Reading Station on a TUESDAY, not a Wednesday and apparently missed the PA Dutch vendors.
    Instead of running like a chicken, is there any one who was lucky enough to find any of these molassasy gems within an hour or so of Delaware/Philly? I will send the boyfriend out on a run if I can guarantee success next trip!

Lancaster IS only an hour from Philly - the Dutch Haven is a bit closer as are some other Amish-related places on Rte. 30 E of Lancaster. All have good shoo fly pies.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6322
    RE: Shoo fly pie?? 2008/06/13 17:07:37 (permalink)
    Great pie there,also in the Bird-in-hand farmer's market..or countless other places in and around rt. 30 and rt.340
    shortchef
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 624
    RE: Shoo fly pie?? 2008/06/14 20:45:17 (permalink)
    You will NEVER find a shoo-fly pie in York. I am from there, and the prepared ones I ate all came from Lancaster County. They used to have great baked goods in York at the venerable Central Market House, but that has turned into a more-or-less flea market. Had it not been for my mother-in-law I would probably never have tasted a homemade one. My best friend in York also shared her recipe for shoo-fly cake, a molasses cake with a crumb topping. York County cooks are, for the most part, not known for their great culinary concoctions. This is not really a criticism, but I did find that the four basic food groups in York County are flour, fat, sugar and salt. It was not until I ate in a lot of good restaurants that I overcame that syndrome. I love York but its cooking is something else.
    Casey3557
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Shoo fly pie?? 2008/07/17 10:02:37 (permalink)
    Shoo fly pies are wonderful! A couple of years ago my brother picked one up from a diner outside of Pottstown near the Coventry Mall that makes wonderful pies. The address is 1435 Hanover Street, Phoenixville. I do know that pies go very quickly. I also remember my parents favoring the "wet-bottom" style and we used to pick one up on our Sunday drives through Lancaster many moons ago.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Shoo fly pie?? 2008/07/17 15:55:54 (permalink)
    Since this topic is listed under Ice Creams & Custards, I got to thinking, wouldn't that make a great ice cream flavor, Shoo-Fly Pie?

(Has anyone ever heard of it????)
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1