The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Short Essay on Diversity in Pizza Crusts

MiamiDon

Short Essay on Diversity in Pizza Crusts Tue, 08/30/11 3:40 PM (permalink)

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:Short Essay on Diversity in Pizza Crusts Tue, 08/30/11 9:19 PM (permalink)
    I will have to agree with the diversity of pizza crusts.  I am not a thin crust over thick crust, and I am not a thick over thin or even medium.

Seriously, there are great pizzas with every style of crust, it depends on my mood and location.

There are times I love a crackery thin crust, or the deep dish base of goodness.  sometimes it is a good hand tossed, coal or wood fired pizza that has just enough burnt to be good.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6080
      Re:Short Essay on Diversity in Pizza Crusts Tue, 08/30/11 10:55 PM (permalink)
      I prefer REAL hand tossed or hand spread Sicilian style "thick" pizza...no "cracker" crust for this Italian...or any place that uses pre made crusts! We have said many times here at roadfood that great pizza is about First: great crust. Second: Great sauce, and Third: Great chesse( and maybe Fourth: Great toppings)  No shortcuts on any of them. PERIOD!!!! A Real Pizza is a work of the pizza makers art....cheap, fast, short cut pizza just won't do.....

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
        Re:Short Essay on Diversity in Pizza Crusts Fri, 09/2/11 9:58 PM (permalink)
        WHAT?

Davwud

• Total Posts: 503
          Re:Short Essay on Diversity in Pizza Crusts Fri, 09/2/11 10:28 PM (permalink)
          CajunKing

I will have to agree with the diversity of pizza crusts.  I am not a thin crust over thick crust, and I am not a thick over thin or even medium.

Seriously, there are great pizzas with every style of crust, it depends on my mood and location.

There are times I love a crackery thin crust, or the deep dish base of goodness.  sometimes it is a good hand tossed, coal or wood fired pizza that has just enough burnt to be good.

I agree fully. Great pizza is great pizza. Thick, thin, stuffed, upside down, inside out, whatever.

DT

leethebard

Re:Short Essay on Diversity in Pizza Crusts Sat, 09/3/11 2:00 AM (permalink)
            The term "cracker"crust is what is confusing me. I,too,love nice and thin crisp New York style pizza...but I've had pizza made with a dough that is almst like a crunchy saltine cracker...that's the crust I have fault with...that's some cheap imitation...tomato sauce on a big saltine just doesn't make it for me...but if by "cracker" crust you mean fire burned crisp real thin dough...I find that delicious too...and as I said before, thick sicilian style or deep dish style is also great...just use REAL ingredients and a very hot pizza oven...not the conveyor belt fast food types!!

ynotryme

• Total Posts: 562
              Re:Short Essay on Diversity in Pizza Crusts Sat, 09/3/11 2:33 PM (permalink)
              I don't like cracker thin crust nor do I like deep dish when it taste like bisquick. I like hand stretched ny style for pepperoni and thicker crust for peppers and sausage.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                • Roadfood Insider
                Re:Short Essay on Diversity in Pizza Crusts Tue, 09/6/11 4:41 PM (permalink)
                You are right on the various styles of thin

thin - NY style, burned spots, crunchy but foldable and delicious.

Cracker thin - is the crust that doesnt fold easily it's thin and crunchy even under the weight of the sauce and toppings.

ChrisOC

• Total Posts: 901
                  Re:Short Essay on Diversity in Pizza Crusts Sat, 10/22/11 4:56 PM (permalink)
                  I like the thin crust "Boardwalk pizza."  The edges are very good, especially when they have some toasted cheese on them.

michaelcarraher

• Total Posts: 159
                    Re:Short Essay on Diversity in Pizza Crusts Sun, 10/23/11 2:10 PM (permalink)
                    On the same page as the "Diversity" article is a link to another article describing 22 different regional pizza styles.  It turns out I've tried more than I thought.
                    I like New Haven best.

I like Chicago least (the pizza; I love the city).

I'm partial to Old Forge but since the Scranton Wilkes-Barre Yankees won't play at home next summer while their ballpark is being overhauled, I won't get to have it again until the summer after next.

I grew up in Detroit (with Italian neighbors) and I never heard of Detroit style Pizza.

http://slice.seriouseats....tyles.html?ref=skybox2

pizzamaker

• Total Posts: 16
                      Re:Short Essay on Diversity in Pizza Crusts Thu, 10/27/11 10:03 AM (permalink)
                      ChrisOC

I like the thin crust "Boardwalk pizza."  The edges are very good, especially when they have some toasted cheese on them.

ChrisOC,

I agree about Mack and Mancos pizza.  We are trying to reverse engineer that pizza, or the Mack's pizza.  

I like all kinds of pizza crusts, (if they are made right) and have good sauce and cheese on the pizzas.  There is great diversity in all types of pizza crusts.  The history of pizza is very interesting and how it started in the US.

CLVdog

• Total Posts: 53
                        Re:Short Essay on Diversity in Pizza Crusts Mon, 11/7/11 1:51 AM (permalink)
                        I don't give a darn about the crust - Char = burnt and undercooked = just that. I want good toppings. To me it seems kinda stupid to show char marks and just a smidge of toppings. I'm no expert  but those that claim to be aren't either !!!!!

leethebard

Re:Short Essay on Diversity in Pizza Crusts Mon, 11/7/11 5:05 AM (permalink)
                          CLVdog

I don't give a darn about the crust - Char = burnt and undercooked = just that. I want good toppings. To me it seems kinda stupid to show char marks and just a smidge of toppings. I'm no expert  but those that claim to be aren't either !!!!!

???????? No pizza experts...I don't get it!!!!

MiamiDon

Re:Short Essay on Diversity in Pizza Crusts Mon, 11/7/11 6:16 AM (permalink)
                            I think I get it Lee.  One can only be an expert if one does not claim to be one! 

leethebard

Re:Short Essay on Diversity in Pizza Crusts Mon, 11/7/11 3:06 PM (permalink)

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2201
                                Re:Short Essay on Diversity in Pizza Crusts Mon, 11/21/11 10:04 AM (permalink)
                                @CLVdog~Perhaps, you should just order a big bowl of your favorite toppings and a spoon. Why burden yourself with all those pesky carbs?
                                <message edited by porkbeaks on Mon, 11/21/11 10:06 AM>

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1056
                                  Re:Short Essay on Diversity in Pizza Crusts Mon, 11/21/11 10:39 AM (permalink)
                                  I'm from Chicago and admit, I like their pizza the least. Never did get the whole deep dish thing. You wanna eat with a knife and fork, go get a steak. When it comes to eating pizza (same as with BBQ) your untensils are at the end of your arms.

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1496
                                    Re:Short Essay on Diversity in Pizza Crusts Tue, 11/22/11 4:34 PM (permalink)
                                    I make my own crust and it's on the thin side.  I use a Hi protein flour (King Arthur Lancelot) with their bread flour on a ratio of of 1:2 (or so).  I also add in garlic, cheese and sometimes a bit of Oregano to the crust so it has flavor as well as "bite"

pizzamaker

• Total Posts: 16
                                      Re:Short Essay on Diversity in Pizza Crusts Wed, 11/23/11 6:01 AM (permalink)
                                      [This post was marked as helpful]
                                      I am always experimenting with different styles of pizzas.  My friend does have a WFO, so I am lucky to be able to try some formulations out in his WFO.  I also experiment in my deck oven, home oven, and BBQ grill set-up.  I never knew there were so many kinds of pizzas to explore, but with each change in even one variable in a formulation, changes in each style of pizzas can be different.  I could go on for a long while about the different styles of pizza from Pizzarium style, thin style, NY style, Neo-Neapolitan style, stuffed crust, Boardwalk style, American, Focaccia, Greek style/barroom style, and others.  I have tried so many kinds of flours and also different flour in the same formula.  My friend did an experiment last week, in baking a Reinhart Neo-Neapolitan dough in a pan on the deck.  That experiment led me to also try the same idea this week.  I was surprised to find out that gave me the lightest airy crust ever.  The dough was left to proof in a pan for many hours.  I use KASL in my regular preferment Lehmann dough for market.  That formula is for a NY style pizza.  I have had my share of failures, but something new is learned from each failure and success, in trying new style of pizzas.  

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                        • No New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                        • Read Message
                                        • Post New Thread
                                        • Reply to message
                                        • Post New Poll
                                        • Submit Vote
                                        • Post reward post
                                        • Delete my own posts
                                        • Delete my own threads
                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com