Short Trip to Charleston WV

Author
claracamille
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 434
2008/11/16 15:08:49 (permalink)

Short Trip to Charleston WV

I made a quick trip to WV to visit my mom. I stopped at Romeo's Pub in South Charleston WV for a Hot Bologna sandwich & a WV hot dog.

The hot dog was great- spicy chili,chopped onions,cole slaw, & mustard. However, the Hot Bologna sandwich was a disappointment. On the positive side- the bologna was thick sliced & nicely grilled, the bun was fresh & large enough for the bologna with plenty of crisp lettuce and sliced tomatoes. On the negative, it had chopped onions rather than thick slices & very little hot sauce. The last time I had a Romeo's Hot Bologna sandwich it had plenty of sauce & a thick slice of onion. I'll now need to find another Hot Bologna place to go to next time I am home.

On my way out of town I drove through Tudor's Biscuit World. I had a biscuit sandwich- large flakey bisuit, an over easy fried egg(lots of liquid yolk when I bit into the sandwich) with country ham( a large & thick slice). I also had a hash brown pattie- the pattie was obviously frozen, but it was fried very crisp and crunchy. Boy, I wish we had Tudor's in Indiana.

My best meal was at my mom's- her pork barbecue,cole slaw, potato salad,all homemade. For dessert her made from scratch butterscotch pie.

8 Replies Related Threads

mmarkovitz
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: Short Trip to Charleston WV 2008/11/16 15:13:21 (permalink)
    Could you not ask for more hot sauce and onion? Just a thought.
    claracamille
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 434
    RE: Short Trip to Charleston WV 2008/11/16 16:11:34 (permalink)
    Unfortunately, I got my order to go. And I did not have time to go back & have them change the sandwich. Also, I hate having to go back & have an order corrected. Why can't they just make it right the first time. I surmise either they had only chopped onions or were too lazy to make slices. As for the sauce, there was so little sauce that the sandwich tasted more like a regular fried baloney sandwich than a hot baloney sandwich.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Short Trip to Charleston WV 2008/11/16 17:03:58 (permalink)
    Can't beat Mom's cooking
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Short Trip to Charleston WV 2009/08/13 09:22:51 (permalink)
    claracamille, I feel the same way about Tudor's Biscuit World. I wouldn't mind seeing one open in my area ( not gonna happen, unfortunately. )  
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18872
    Re:Short Trip to Charleston WV 2009/08/13 09:37:12 (permalink)
    claracamille

I made a quick trip to WV to visit my mom. I stopped at Romeo's Pub in South Charleston WV for a Hot Bologna sandwich & a WV hot dog.

The hot dog was great- spicy chili,chopped onions,cole slaw, & mustard. However, the Hot Bologna sandwich was a disappointment. On the positive side- the bologna was thick sliced & nicely grilled, the bun was fresh & large enough for the bologna with plenty of crisp lettuce and sliced tomatoes. On the negative, it had chopped onions rather than thick slices & very little hot sauce. The last time I had a Romeo's Hot Bologna sandwich it had plenty of sauce & a thick slice of onion. I'll now need to find another Hot Bologna place to go to next time I am home.

On my way out of town I drove through Tudor's Biscuit World. I had a biscuit sandwich- large flakey bisuit, an over easy fried egg(lots of liquid yolk when I bit into the sandwich) with country ham( a large & thick slice). I also had a hash brown pattie- the pattie was obviously frozen, but it was fried very crisp and crunchy. Boy, I wish we had Tudor's in Indiana.

My best meal was at my mom's- her pork barbecue,cole slaw, potato salad,all homemade. For dessert her made from scratch butterscotch pie.

Oh, if only a Biscuit World would open up here in Ohio. I might even forsake my beloved Waffle House.

My first-ever fried bologna sandwich was from a little carry-out breakfast and lunch-only shop on Hale Street in downtown Charleston -- right next to the front entrance to Waybright Cafeteria (the back entrance that I always used was on Dickinson Street). It was a revelation. It came with pickles, a thick slice of onion and mustard.
    RKB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 178
    Re:Short Trip to Charleston WV 2009/08/19 19:26:44 (permalink)
    Michael, a Tudor's just opened in Xenia. After stopping in one in WV and two visits to the one here in town, I don't see what everyone is raving about. Their greasy biscuits are mediocre at best, and their gravy  ....well, I expected something other than plain brown gravy when I ordered a biscuit and gravy. Two bites of that, and in the trash it went.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18872
    Re:Short Trip to Charleston WV 2009/08/19 20:22:53 (permalink)
    Roadkill Bill

Michael, a Tudor's just opened in Xenia. After stopping in one in WV and two visits to the one here in town, I don't see what everyone is raving about. Their greasy biscuits are mediocre at best, and their gravy  ....well, I expected something other than plain brown gravy when I ordered a biscuit and gravy. Two bites of that, and in the trash it went.

That's interesting. I've never had a greasy biscuit or anything other than really good gravy at a Biscuit World in West Virginia.
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    Re:Short Trip to Charleston WV 2009/08/30 20:26:58 (permalink)
    Roadkill Bill

Michael, a Tudor's just opened in Xenia.

Where?  I just went to the Tudor's website, and the only Ohio locations listed are Proctorville and Gallipolis, which are right across from West Virginia.  I live in Beavercreek, by the way, yet I don't get to Xenia all that much.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1