Short trip to New Orleans

Author
cy_dugas
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 199
2009/06/03 17:43:52 (permalink)

Short trip to New Orleans

My wife and I took an overnight trip to New Orleans (sans kids!!!) and really enjoyed it.  It's only a 2 1/2 to 3 hour ride from Lafayette, LA, but we only go once or twice a year.

On the advice of a good friend we had dinner at Deannie's Seafood.  Excellent!  I've had bbq shrimp a few times, and I know other NO restaurants are more well-known for them, but these were excellent.  An appetizer portion included 6 HUGE shrimp in a wonderful butter sauce with plenty of bread for dipping.  We also shared a fried shrimp dinner, which was great, although I would have seasoned the shrimp more.  Both of us wished we had ordered the full sized bbq shrimp...

We went to the D-Day museum on the following morning.  Incredible.  If you are in NO, PLEASE visit.  I have many family members who served in WWII, including my maternal grandfather who was part of the D-Day invasion and my paternal grandmother, who welded on the Higgins boats which made the invasion possible (Rosie the Riveter???).  The staff at the museum is mostly veterans or wives/family of veterans, and the conversation was incredible.  God bless our troops and those who have fought for our great country.

Unfortunately, lunch after the museum wasn't so good.  Mediocre red beans (and on a Monday, no less! and salad).  The service was ok, but it took over an hour to get served.  I won't say where since I don't think it's fair to judge a place on only one visit, but I probably won't return.

In all a great trip!

cy

5 Replies Related Threads

QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 642
    Re:Short trip to New Orleans 2009/06/03 18:10:07 (permalink)
    C-d, I'm just sorry you didn't make it to Mother's for your lunch.  IMHO the best po boys in NOLA (maybe even on the planet) not to mention their red beans and rice and many other wonderful goodies!
    BTW, where exactly is the D-Day museum?  You didn't mention a location.

QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3144
    Re:Short trip to New Orleans 2009/06/03 18:20:14 (permalink)
    cy_dugas, was your lunch at the museum or wheredyaeat?
    jbs780
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 43
    Re:Short trip to New Orleans 2009/06/03 18:37:51 (permalink)
    QFan

C-d, I'm just sorry you didn't make it to Mother's for your lunch.  IMHO the best po boys in NOLA (maybe even on the planet) not to mention their red beans and rice and many other wonderful goodies!
    BTW, where exactly is the D-Day museum?  You didn't mention a location.

QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL

It is actually the WORLD WAR II Museum now as they have included exhibits from the PTO.  It is near down town NO...don't have the actual address, but if you are downtown, you can get there without muich trouble.  The Brain Child of the Late Dr. Steven Ambrose, Author  of BAND OF BROTHERS and other books on WWII.  He was a Professor of History at THE UNIVERSTIY OF NEW ORLEANS. This is a MUST SEE on your next visit to NO.  But you can probably do better eating AWAY from the museum.
    cy_dugas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 199
    Re:Short trip to New Orleans 2009/06/03 19:46:54 (permalink)
    Mother's is my "go to" in NO and I've eaten there several times, but we wanted to try something different.  Since I usually get a debris, shrimp, or oyster poboy at Mother's I can't compare it to Deannie's.  I rather Mother's fried seafood seasoning, but I'm still thinking of those bbq shrimp!  Both are excellent, and I would rather savor both than choose between them.

As far as I could tell there are no restaurants at the D-Day (now WWII) museum.  There was a coffee shop attached to the building, but since I don't drink coffee, I don't know if it served food.  Unfortunately my wife and I did not find many casual restaruants within walking distance (although this doesn't mean there aren't any, we just missed them!)

Thanks for the feedback

cy

BelleReve
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1161
    Re:Short trip to New Orleans 2009/06/14 11:01:59 (permalink)
    Cy, thanks for the great report.  You'll have to come back in November when Chef John Besh opens his restaurant in the musesum.  If anyone caught the show, John Besh beat Mario  Batali on one of the Iron Chef segments.  

Here's the news clipping on John Besh:

blog.nola.com/brettanderson/2009/john besh to open restaurant

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1