The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Showin' their stuff...

redtressed

• Total Posts: 1017
Showin' their stuff... Wed, 11/3/04 12:49 PM (permalink)
From the Nov 3 2004 , Charleston Gazette, Charleston WV

Fund-raiser is a primer on Italian feasting

The West Virginia chapter of the American Culinary Federation routinely presents an annual seven-course formal gourmet dinner as a fund-raiser for its statewide culinary projects. This year it is initiating a five-course International Showcase Dinner Series on Monday at the Charleston Marriott. A reception and cash bar is from 6 to 7 p.m. with dinner service at 7 p.m.

Each series will draw attention to one particular country’s cuisine. The selected country for this gastronomic debut is Italy.

“The dinner is a creative effort by the ACFWV chef members to highlight their chapter’s talents and to provide a source of funds for their educational programs,” said Bob Corey, CEO of Corey Brothers Produce.

ACFWV continues its involvement in the public school system with its Chef and Child program. It offers classroom food demonstrations and tastings, mainly in the elementary grades, introducing children to varieties of healthy food and good food choices.

Among other activities, the group also supports efforts of those interested in culinary careers, most often students in Barbara Canady’s Culinary Apprentice program at Carver Career Center. With an ACFWV cushion, they attend classes and participate in competitions that would otherwise be closed to them.

Chef Darren Phipps of Charleston Marriott is Chef D’Cuisine for the dinner. He will be assisted by Marriott staff and members of the ACFWV chapter.

Corey went on to explain that the dinner is similar to the guest chefs program of the Marriott’s Tarragon Room, providing a menu of taste combinations that aren’t ordinary.

Monday’s fare includes Italian breads; marinated mushrooms, Italian cheeses, olives and smoked meats; cioppino (hearty tomato and seafood stew); blood orange and Midori sorbet; stuffed chicken with fresh basil; veal roulade with mushroom, saffron and white truffle oil; shallot and sun-dried tomato risotto; a gratin of radicchio, chicory, eggplant and bell pepper.

Housemade tiramisu, stuffed peaches, and semifreddo (Italian for “half-cold,” which describes any chilled or frozen dessert) sweetens the meals’ ending.

I went into my files for today’s recipes, representative of the ACF menu. Up to the time of discovering the mushroom recipe in Mountain Measures cookbook, most marinated mushrooms I had been served were too harsh and tangy-sharp. A clue that this mixture might be better was the brown sugar. I boosted it slightly.

The easy peach recipe is enhanced with a splash of sherry. It can’t decide if it’s a dessert or a holiday brunch side-dish.

Tickets for the dinner are $50 per person or a table of eight for $300. Payment is at the door — check or cash only. For reservations or additional information call (800) 395-2311 or 344-2311. Ask for Linda Crum or Bob Corey.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com