The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Showing Roadfood reviews to restaurant staff

syellina

• Total Posts: 2
Showing Roadfood reviews to restaurant staff Fri, 07/2/04 1:11 PM (permalink)
I am a regular Roadfood user and whenever I am traveling to a new place I review the site for restaurant suggestions. When I find one that I expect to try I usually print the review to take with me. On a recent trip to Tucson I took along three reviews and had an opportunity to enjoy each of the restaurants during my stay. In the past I have just tossed the reviews after leaving the restaurants. On this trip I gave the review to my server at the end of the meal. None of them were aware of Roadfood and each server read the review with great interest and they all took the reviews back to show to the kitchen staffs. They all seemed to be very pleased that their hard work had been recognized.

One of the reviews mentioned weekly meetings at the restaurant of the Kiwanis Club which featured somewhat rowdy singing of patriotic songs. After reading the review the waitress nudged a man sitting right next to me. She said that he should read this internet review that mentions the racket his club makes during their meetings. This turned into a very enjoyable conversation with this man and his tablemates that wouldn't have occurred if I hadn't given my server your review.

I intend to leave behind your reviews during my future Roadfood visits. In Tucson I not only got some great meals, I think I used your work to bring some good feelings to some of the restaurant staffs that work so hard to bring us such wonderful food.

Thanks for your unique efforts to match us up with restaurants that otherwise we would often miss.

Donna Douglass

• Total Posts: 508
    RE: Showing Roadfood reviews to restaurant staff Fri, 07/2/04 1:49 PM (permalink)
    What a brilliant idea! Wish I had thought of something along these lines back in the days when we were traveling and carrying Michael and Jane along with us across country, back and forth. So many great places, so many great meals, so many great memories.

Hope you will continue with this practice as you continue your adventures.

Donna

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15071
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: Showing Roadfood reviews to restaurant staff Fri, 07/2/04 4:06 PM (permalink)
      When the bunch of us did the Central TN BBQ Run last February we took with us printouts of the oral history projects interviews with Dennis Hays and the other BBQ Pitmasters in that circle of establishments. The printouts made great introductions to the people who operate the BBQ places and sort of directed the topics of conversation.
      I have printed up some Business cards that identify me with the Roadfood website and will leave one on the table with my tip at the end of a meal. In some cases i will mention the site in conversation with the server or host/hostess if it seems appropriate. I have yet to have any negative experiences linked to the Roadfood identity at any establishment .

DaveM

• Total Posts: 353
        RE: Showing Roadfood reviews to restaurant staff Fri, 07/2/04 4:59 PM (permalink)
        The owner of Ben's Whole Hog BBQ WANTS to know if your are a Roadfood forum poster.
        He genuinely loves the word of mouth

dug

• Total Posts: 213
          RE: Showing Roadfood reviews to restaurant staff Mon, 07/5/04 12:39 PM (permalink)
          great idea syellina,i rely on roadfood.com!
          i did the same thing at the sylvan park cafe in nashville tenn.much to the surprised delight of the owner and staff!
          still thinking about their chess pie!

Stewdude

RE: Showing Roadfood reviews to restaurant staff Tue, 07/6/04 10:19 PM (permalink)
            I always tell a restaurant that I have seen them in Roadfood and, if they are unaware of the Sterns (heresy!!!!!!), I explain what the concept is, how reliable their reviews are and how may loyal followers are reached. They truly appreciate the info.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
              RE: Showing Roadfood reviews to restaurant staff Wed, 09/1/04 3:12 AM (permalink)
              I always share the review with staff when I eat at road food places. It is frequently a surprise . The best response was from the gentleman at Fido's dogs in Portland, Oregon where I live. he told me he gets customers 3 or 4 times a week from out of town who mention Roadfood. We are indeed everywhere.

dug

• Total Posts: 213
                RE: Showing Roadfood reviews to restaurant staff Tue, 09/7/04 8:49 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by pogophiles

Glad you liked it dug -- their chocolate pie is even better!!

duly noted pogophiles...that will require a return visit!
                can't wait!
                i love my roadfood!

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                  RE: Showing Roadfood reviews to restaurant staff Tue, 09/7/04 8:55 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by DaveM

The owner of Ben's Whole Hog BBQ WANTS to know if your are a Roadfood forum poster.
                  He genuinely loves the word of mouth

Dave M,
                  Tell us where Ben's is at. I'm getting hungry, and surely there are others....
                  Pit-eously, Ort. Carlton in Pit-iful Athens, Georgia.
                  P. S. I wish it was full of pits - the BBQ kind. There are a couple, but only that many. A town this size down here, especially with 32,000 hungry students, had ought to be able to support 7 or 8. You'd think.

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                    RE: Showing Roadfood reviews to restaurant staff Tue, 09/7/04 8:58 PM (permalink)
                    Dearfolk,
                    Since I do not own a printer nor have an internet connection anywhere but here at the U. Ga. Library, printing is sometimes problematical for me, so I simply let the restaurant folks know where I posted so they can surf the site to their heart's content - and time's availability.
                    More than once I've heard back "They get around, don't they?" or some such accolade of this site.
                    Syellina, you have a good idea going, and all y'all who can should keep using it. Until I become more technologically advanced, though, I'll rely on them surfing the site for themselves.
                    Not As Backwards As I Think, Forward To Ort. Carlton in Advancing Athens, Georgia.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15071
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      RE: Showing Roadfood reviews to restaurant staff Tue, 09/7/04 9:42 PM (permalink)
                      One of my son's took a printout of the review of Jestine's Kitchen in Charleston S C with him on a recent trip down that way. he shared it with the folks at the place, who then gave him an update of parts of the review--policies-prices and hours, that have changed since the last write-up. They were very interested in the review, and wanted to sure it was accurate!. I sent the updates in to Stephen for inclusion in the next round of additions or changes.
                      My Son was amazed at the reaction he got from the folks in Charleston...and enjoyed his visit all the more as a result.

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                        RE: Showing Roadfood reviews to restaurant staff Wed, 09/8/04 8:37 PM (permalink)
                        That's great, syellina! Thanks.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com