Shrimp and Grits a new love

Author
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
2008/05/04 12:26:01 (permalink)

Shrimp and Grits a new love

I have just returned from a trip to the low country and fell in love with a new to me dish, Shrimp and Grits.
I have tryed on many occasion to warm up to grits but never untill now thought I would ever order them again.
This dish was featured on the breakfast menu at the Sweetgrass Cafe in Charleston S.C. served with a feathery light biscuit for the fair sum of $10.
I must say after about the second or third spoon full I became a convert to grits. They were so soft and creamy with a hint of spice and some diced green peppers, truly decadent.
Never knew that grits could be so flavorfull. I may try to recreate this dish here at home if I can find the right grits.
Chow Jim

16 Replies Related Threads

Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: Shrimp and Grits a new love 2008/05/04 12:34:54 (permalink)
    Had it at the place called the Boat Yard at Inlet Harbor or something to that effect...Really good fishhouse. It was on one of those outer islands in Charlston area; can't remeber the name right now. The dish was fantastic. They made the grits with heavy cream. I never liked grits before that either. Made me a believer, too!

I also think the grits themselves are a big factor...I know I got several different types..Several from actual grist mills in North Carolina and some from a local store in Georgia. I keep them in the freezer and I have made corn bread out of them. I know that is not supposed to work, but it works for me. I have never actually made grits with the grits!
    tcrouzer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 431
    RE: Shrimp and Grits a new love 2008/05/04 12:41:14 (permalink)
    Usually see shrimp and grits on the dinner menu around here - not breakfast. But, for brunch, I'd be game.

Many folks, myself included, think that the recipe by the late Bill Neal is the classic.

Crook's Corner Shrimp and Grits

The late Bill Neal has influenced young chefs across the South, and diners still enjoy his inspired recipes at this landmark restaurant in Chapel Hill. Executive chef Bill Smith has added some creative touches to the menu, such as Warm Goat Cheese Salad With Roasted Beets and Pumpkin Seeds and Hangar Steak With Bourbon Brown Sauce, but Shrimp and Grits is still a Crook's Corner classic.

2 cups water
    1 (14-ounce) can chicken broth
    3/4 cup half-and-half
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup regular grits
    3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    2 tablespoons butter
    1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
    1/4 teaspoon white pepper
    3 bacon slices
    1 pound medium-size shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 cup sliced mushrooms
    1/2 cup chopped green onions
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 cup low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
    Lemon wedges

Bring first 4 ingredients to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually whisk in grits. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until thickened. Add Cheddar cheese and next 4 ingredients. Keep warm.

Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon, and set aside.

Sprinkle shrimp with pepper and salt; dredge in flour.

Sauté mushrooms in hot drippings in skillet 5 minutes or until tender. Add green onions, and sauté 2 minutes. Add shrimp and garlic, and sauté 2 minutes or until shrimp are lightly brown. Stir in chicken broth, lemon juice, and hot sauce, and cook 2 more minutes, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of skillet.

Serve shrimp mixture over hot cheese grits. Top with crumbled bacon; serve with lemon wedges.

Yield: Makes 4 servings

Southern Living, APRIL 2004

You can find real Southern stone-ground grits on-line at Anson Mills, Bob's Red Mill, and other mills in the South. The stone-ground type are authentic to this recipe.

Teresa

ocdreamr
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1110
    RE: Shrimp and Grits a new love 2008/05/04 17:55:40 (permalink)
    Love them Shrimp & grits!! If you are looking to make your own I recommend Nathalie Dupree's "Shrimp & Grits cookbook" http://tinyurl.com/5w8tlh It is fabulous!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    RE: Shrimp and Grits a new love 2008/05/05 11:06:15 (permalink)
    I have good shrimp and grits many places but the best place I ever had them was at Yugelsich in NOLA. I think my spelling is incorrect and they are now closed but in my opinion, it wass the best small restaurant in NOLA.

I would have had them for breakfast, lunch, dinner or a mid night snack.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    RE: Shrimp and Grits a new love 2008/05/05 11:14:06 (permalink)
    Try here http://hoppinjohns.com/cgi-bin/screenbld.asp?Request=JohnsProducts&CN=20080505111126129252140046 or here http://www.carolinaplantationrice.com/

I call shrimp & grits the 'anti-Chinese food' because I usually find that I can skip the meal after the one where I had them. They stick to your ribs. Glad you enjoyed them jim.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5092
    RE: Shrimp and Grits a new love 2008/05/05 11:18:26 (permalink)
    I have a feeling, "shrimp and grits" will soon become a staple on every restaurant menu.
    Mrs.Crunch
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: Shrimp and Grits a new love 2008/05/05 11:31:38 (permalink)
    Fantastic!! I'm heading to Charleston in 2 weeks!! Sweetgrass Cafe..here we come!
    Mr. Jimeats, we will make a toast to you with a nice glass of ice tea!!
    essvee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Shrimp and Grits a new love 2008/05/05 11:53:49 (permalink)
    Folks I am here to tell you about a true revelation. There's this cookbook, see, called "The Art of Southern Cooking," by Edna Lewis, the grande dame of Southern Cooking, and her BFF Scott Peacock.

In the very beginning of the book is a recipe called "Shrimp Paste." One takes two sticks of soft butter for every pound of shrimp, sautes the shrimp in a little more than half of one butter stick until pink, don't forget the salt and pepper, and removes the shrimp.

One places the pan over high heat, splashes in a generous slash of sherry, not cooking sherry, I personally use Chinese rice wine since I never have sherry around and they taste remarkably similar in cooking, squeezes in a half lemon, and reduces the liquid until syrupy.

One lets the syrup cool a bit, places the shrimp, the rest of the butter, syrup, a pinch of cayenne, into a food processor, and whizzes it up til mostly smooth.

Aha! One now has the magic in one's hands. One can make lil tea sandwiches with this stuff, drop it into a pan where one has cooked a nice piece of fish, and so on, but the ne plus ultra, the very zenith of this magic substance is to stir a generous amount into a panful of good grits cooked with rich milk or cream.

Oh how one will swoon upon placing this concoction to one's lips. Note there is no cheese around to interfere with the delicate flavors. One will wish to curl one's arm around one's bowl as if one were in prison to fend off any predators lurking about.

If one wished to gild the lily, one could top these grits with more shrimp, sauteed in butter in which one has crisped lil bits of good country ham, not bacon, and softened a goodly portion of scallions. Then one would really be in trouble because one's friends would not rest until one prepared this dish for them again and again. Yipe.

Do not delay, friends, in the cooking of these grits for oneself. Every hour that passes will lie heavy, heavy on one's shoulders.
    Good day.

Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Shrimp and Grits a new love 2008/05/05 12:14:29 (permalink)
    Yummy, essvee!
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    RE: Shrimp and Grits a new love 2008/05/06 06:59:05 (permalink)
    I can not believe it------Jim has been converted.

Jim, say it isn't true, Jim.

No one knew that when they said "The South Will Rise Again" they would be led by Grits, Bar-b-q and Bourbon. The solid North has been invaded and it looks serious this time. They have crossed the Mason-Dixon Line, they have moved north from Gettysburg and, in fact, are marching down Broadway. Our goose is cooked----with a side of grits-yet !!!!!!!
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Shrimp and Grits a new love 2008/05/06 08:19:04 (permalink)
    Its true. After many many years of trying I finnaly found out what the love of this dish was all about. And I wasn't even all that hungry, most anything tastes good when you are hungry.
    Now I'm afraid to order it again, I just don't like dissapointment.
    I will try the recipes posted above though, then I can only blame myself.
    I've also been known to enjoy a tumbler of good Bourbon also.
    But the So. Carolina "Q" left something to be desired, all a matter of taste I guess. Chow Jim
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Shrimp and Grits a new love 2008/05/06 09:41:24 (permalink)
    Where'd you get barbecue Jim?

Also, I think what you're responding to is probably the creaminess of the grits. You can ruin grits easy, but if you get them that velvety softness, geez that's good. I've also had multiple types of preparation of the sauce for the shrimp (very thin, kinda thick, tomato based), and they're pretty much all good.
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    RE: Shrimp and Grits a new love 2008/05/06 10:27:02 (permalink)
    Jim-------as Oscar Hammerstein once wrote--"They have gone about as far as they can go"------and you, Sir, have done as well. You have gone from "Full English Breakfast" to Shrimp and Grits without blinking an eye, and I can't imagine there is anything in the breakfast world further apart.

I will stick with the English and Irish Breakfast, for bow coo years it has stuck by me ----- it has been my Sunday morning eye opener for as long as I can remember (and the memory ain't what it used to be).

As far as bar-b-q goes you can have all of mine---I can't stand the stuff and I have to pick the remains out of my teeth for hours.
    As a friend from Brook-a-lean yusta say--forgetaboutit !!!!!!!!

But I'll raise a tumbler of bourbon with you or to you any time !!!!!!

Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Shrimp and Grits a new love 2008/05/07 08:11:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mrs.Crunch

Fantastic!! I'm heading to Charleston in 2 weeks!! Sweetgrass Cafe..here we come!
    Mr. Jimeats, we will make a toast to you with a nice glass of ice tea!!
    You may also want to save some room for lunch at Justiene's Kitchen on Meeting St.
    I had a great meal of fried chicken there, no biscuits though but the cornbread was a nice touch. Chow Jim
    Pigiron
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: Shrimp and Grits a new love 2008/05/07 09:25:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by twinwillow

I have a feeling, "shrimp and grits" will soon become a staple on every restaurant menu.

Funny you should say that. I ate ate Momofuku Noodle Bar last night and shrimp and grits was on the menu. Well, not shrimp and grits exactly, but "Head-on Mayan Prawns & Anson Mills White Grits with Country Ham, Poached Egg and Crispy Scallions". A little upscale, but MAN it was delicious! The large prawns were wrapped in the ham and cooked on the flattop. The yolk from the poached egg mixed with the grits and scallions and became a wonderful mixture of flavors and textures. It looked like a small portion, but I needed a nap afterwards.
    Earl of Sandwich
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 600
    RE: Shrimp and Grits a new love 2008/05/19 05:15:41 (permalink)
    I love shrimp & grits but have never had for breakfast. Best I've had were at Big River Grill in Chattanooga, TN.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1