Shrimp

Author
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2013
2004/11/15 09:39:31 (permalink)

Shrimp

Shrimp must have been a topic before, but it must have been long enough ago that I didn't find it. The holidays are coming and at least in my family, that means shrimp season. Shrimp used to be a luxury. We were each allowed only 4 plus one more to be eaten during the peeling process if we helped. Today they are farm raised and cheap, but in my opinion of variable quality. How do I buy the better frozen shrimp? I usually find that size in the 26 to 30 range is better, but no particular brand is in my mind any better than the others. Our local Big Y and Price Chopper brands are good and sometimes excellent. If I thaw them and they smell, I am not shy about returns. What should I look for to get excellent all the time?

28 Replies Related Threads

Farfromhome
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: Shrimp 2004/11/15 10:10:04 (permalink)
    I grew up on shrimp literally. My dad had a shrimp boat that he would take out whenever he was off and sometimes we had so much shrimp we couldn't give it away. When your peeling it if it feels mushy, not firm, toss it or take it back if you have that option. The best place to get shrimp IMO is at the waterfront if you have that option. However if you are landlocked and have to get it from either the grocery store of the warehouse stores look for shrimp that doesn't have a strong odor and again that is firm to the touch. Where I live at now there are no places to buy fresh off the dock shrimp and I've had excellent results at Costco of all places. They sell 2 lb bags of shrimp that are 22-24 range I believe that are already headed, shelled and deviened (the chores I hated most as a kid when it came to cleaning them ) and a 2 lb bag is around 13 buck! I've never gotten a bad shrimp from them, and since most of the time we either fry the shrimp or scampi it the shrimp works great. For shrimp boils I order my shrimp from www.Louisianashrimp.com and again I've never been disappointed. Hope this helps some and enjoy your shrimp!
    tmiles
    RE: Shrimp 2004/11/15 14:48:20 (permalink)
    Thanks. I buy mine frozen. The only "fresh" shrimp I see is "previously frozen". I figure that if it ever was frozen, I might as well buy it that way. The last fresh shrimp that I had was "popcorn" shrimp in NC over 10 yrs ago. It was wild caught and smaller but very good.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4077
    RE: Shrimp 2004/11/15 16:41:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Farfromhome

Where I live at now there are no places to buy fresh off the dock shrimp and I've had excellent results at Costco of all places.

Not quite true, farfromhome. Take a ride early some Saturday morning down the 126----less than an hour's drive from Santa Clarita to Ventura. Saturday mornings at 8 AM, the Ventura Harbor Fisherman's Market has exactly what you want. I've often shown up with a five gallon bucket that they've filled up with shrimp, still alive and kicking. Very reasonable, too. There's lots more at the Fisherman's market but you should get there early because there are lines forming by 7:30 to get in and they sell out fast. Lots of fresh fish too as well as live local lobster and crab. If you crave the fresh shrimp though you will definitely not be disappointed!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7022
    RE: Shrimp 2004/11/15 18:31:11 (permalink)
    The shrimp preferred by professional chefs in the US is Ocean Garden. They are from the Gulf of Mexico and are delicious. I would recommend a size of 16-20's. They are not farm raised and are frozen immediately onboard the shrimp boats. You can find them at your local fishmonger. Of course, if you have access to any size of fresh shrimp, they are the best!!! I have bought nothing but Ocean Garden for my restaurants for the last 25 years.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Shrimp 2004/11/15 21:29:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tmiles

Thanks. I buy mine frozen. The only "fresh" shrimp I see is "previously frozen". I figure that if it ever was frozen, I might as well buy it that way. The last fresh shrimp that I had was "popcorn" shrimp in NC over 10 yrs ago. It was wild caught and smaller but very good.

I had a bad experience with this a year ago. The "kid" working the seafood counter at my local store told me the shrimp where "fresh". Well, about the 3rd week of buying them there, non where to be seen. The older gentelman working the counter that evening asked if I wanted him to thaw some out... I replied that I'll wait till he gets some more "fresh" in stock... He went on to explain (pointing his finger towards the freezer) that they just thaw out their shrimp... Comes out of a bag from the retail freezer... Needless to say I was mad for paying more just to have someone throw them in a collander and quick thaw them under cold water.. Luckily I did get a decent discount that evening... But turns out, them quick frozen ones are good! Also thanks Llechef for the tip on "Ocean Garden"... I'll have to check this one out...
    Farfromhome
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: Shrimp 2004/11/16 02:12:22 (permalink)
    Wow thanks for the tip EdSsils!! I wasn't aware that I could get fresh seafood that close by

And Lleechef having grown up on the Gulf of Mexico I'm sure I'm biased, but I think gulf shrimp are the best in the world
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Shrimp 2004/11/16 11:54:10 (permalink)
    I have been buying fresh shrimp from Fabian Seafood for the last 10 years now. They come to the farmers markets in the Chicago area from June until Novemeber, not weekly but several times a month. It's almost like a cult following, they send a postcard as to where they will be and a line will form. One year they came in December with shrimp and beautiful red snapper that was $8 for a whole fish. During the summer I tend to buy as much as I know we can eat fresh but at the end of October I bought 5 pounds which I packaged up by the dozen and froze.

http://www.fabianseafood.com/

lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Shrimp 2004/11/16 17:56:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Farfromhome

Wow thanks for the tip EdSsils!! I wasn't aware that I could get fresh seafood that close by

And Lleechef having grown up on the Gulf of Mexico I'm sure I'm biased, but I think gulf shrimp are the best in the world

You're not biased, you're RIGHT! And Ocean Garden is a product of Mexico and they come out of the Gulf. That's why they're the preferred shrimp of all chefs!
    cjackg
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Shrimp 2004/11/29 16:53:05 (permalink)
    I recently ate at O'Steen's restaurant in St Augustine, FL and am convinced they have the best fried shrimp I have ever had. To make it even better, they serve very fresh vegetables, great hush puppies, good sauces, and the price is right! How about 12 large shrimp for $11.95
    There is often a line waiting to get in because the locals all know this is one great place to eat. Bring cash though, as they dont take credit cards.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Shrimp 2004/11/29 17:32:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

The shrimp preferred by professional chefs in the US is Ocean Garden. They are from the Gulf of Mexico and are delicious. I would recommend a size of 16-20's. They are not farm raised and are frozen immediately onboard the shrimp boats. You can find them at your local fishmonger. Of course, if you have access to any size of fresh shrimp, they are the best!!! I have bought nothing but Ocean Garden for my restaurants for the last 25 years.

Where can one buy this brand?
    Fresh shrimp cost a small fortune in this area so would love to buy the ones you like.
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Shrimp 2004/11/29 18:41:54 (permalink)
    I like the Creek Shrimp i get in Pawleys IS SC- small and sweet. Also i buy from the guy at N Causeway from his cooler out of the back of his truck- shrimp of any size from McClellanville. And cheap too.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Shrimp 2004/11/29 19:34:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chezkatie

quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

Where can one buy this brand?
    Fresh shrimp cost a small fortune in this area so would love to buy the ones you like.

http://www.oceangarden.com/consumer/consumers.html

I have NEVER seen this brand available ANYWHERE I shop. I live about an hour & a half drive away from the Gulf OM (south of Tallahassee, FL). Still, the fresh shrimp down there at the best are only 30 or so to lb. (At least that is what I found...)
    tmiles
    RE: Shrimp 2004/12/23 16:27:19 (permalink)
    Shrimp season started a couple of days ago in the Gulf of Maine. I had always thought that shrimp lived in warm water. Maine is not warm in December and January. Does the Maine shrimp taste different? Maybe I'll get up to The Maine Diner next week to see if it is on the menu.
    olphart
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 289
    RE: Shrimp 2005/01/09 22:49:52 (permalink)
    We have been buying IQF shrimp at Fiesta, a Texas-based grocery chain. They come in 2# bags and are “easy peel”, meaning the backs of the shells have been cut. They are 31-35 ct, and we get them for around $4/pound. They are from Taiwan, I think, or somewhere thereabouts. We love ‘em!
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Shrimp 2005/01/09 23:29:01 (permalink)
    I'm guessing the shrimp prices will be going up soon. After the Tsunami in Asia, I've read that alot of the "shrimp farms" where destroyed over there.
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1110
    RE: Shrimp 2005/01/10 09:33:09 (permalink)
    Uncle Vic
    I was saying the same thing last week. The "Philips Seafood" company had announced that a lot of their factories in the area had been damaged (yeah, that crab that they serve isn't Maryland blue) anyway it got me to thinking about the shrimp farms & how many of them had probably been effected.
    robicheaux
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: Shrimp 2005/06/05 17:39:36 (permalink)
    Best Shrimp in South Louisiana is in Breaux Bridge LA at Cafe Des Amis, 2 hours west of New Orleans
    Woo
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 64
    RE: Shrimp 2005/06/06 17:29:48 (permalink)
    I don't know if it's just me, but I do not like farm raised shrimp. Having had lived in Florida for a number of years, and getting it fresh from the ocean there, there's something about the taste of the farm raised to me that just isn't as good as ocean shrimp. And it's getting harder and harder inland here to get anything but the farm raised. Can anyone else tell the difference? Or is it all in my mind?!?!

nvb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Shrimp 2005/07/25 15:51:09 (permalink)
    I just got back from a product tasting at Sysco. One that I tasted was an Asian farm raised shrimp. The taste wasn't there for me and I got into a discussion with Chef Whitey about farm raised vs. gulf shrimp. He said the only difference between the two was the gulf shrimp had iodine and the farm raised did not.
    jojobeans
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 137
    RE: Shrimp 2005/09/06 16:22:20 (permalink)
    I have a Hot dog wagon and was thinking about selling steamed shrim at a small event of about 6 - 8 thousand people. Does or has anyone tried to sell at small events? If so what size and what kind of price vs portion can you do well with, I thought 45 count? I was thinking 1% - 3% of the attendance would be sales. portion=12 and an ear of corn for $7.00. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
    tmiles
    RE: Shrimp 2005/09/07 13:02:26 (permalink)
    Maybe I'm a snob, but I would not be interested in 45s, especially as a "treat". IMO, go bigger or don't bother. JMO
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Shrimp 2005/09/08 13:44:18 (permalink)
    Anybody been to Bubba Gump Shrimp?

I've been there to buy the T-shirt as a gift, but haven't eaten there. Looks expensive.

Tmiles: 45's are great for salads. If the shrimp is too big, it over whelms the salad, and you end up cutting them into pieces. There are useful purposes for the little'uns. But, you're right, 45's aren't so good for a "treat."

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    RE: Shrimp 2005/09/08 16:32:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

Anybody been to Bubba Gump Shrimp?

I've been there to buy the T-shirt as a gift, but haven't eaten there. Looks expensive.

Tmiles: 45's are great for salads. If the shrimp is too big, it over whelms the salad, and you end up cutting them into pieces. There are useful purposes for the little'uns. But, you're right, 45's aren't so good for a "treat."

I have been to the Bubba Gump's in NOLA several times. Always good service and good food. I always ate on the balcony overlooking the old Jax brewery which is no a shopping center. Great view of the street traffic.

Obviously it is not open now.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    tmiles
    RE: Shrimp 2005/09/09 09:47:07 (permalink)
    quote:

For salad, I like those little salad shrimp that have the tail off. You are right, sometimes smaller is better.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Shrimp 2005/09/12 13:38:06 (permalink)
    If you're ever visiting DC and have a kitchen in your hotel room or of you're staying eith a friend, be sure to stop at the Washington Fish Market, which is at the SW Waterfront.

Get the jumbo tiger shrimp. Cook 'em simply, by using butter or EV olive oil, with garlic and parsley/oregano or other green herb and grill.
    Simple and scrumptious and a DC secret.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Shrimp 2005/09/12 15:45:36 (permalink)
    Sorry to disagree, but "Tiger Shrimp" are farm raised in countries like Bangladesh and Vietnam. They cook down to nothing (compared to a Gulf shrimp) and they taste like cardboard. I can't imagine that DC doesn't have Gulf shrimp. Heck, I have them delivered every day to my restaurant in Alaska!
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Shrimp 2005/09/12 17:21:00 (permalink)
    On the money, llee. I've been spec-ing Ocean Garden for 25 years, and they're still the best. And tiger shrimp are pretty useless. They haven't got the flavor, and they shrink so much that they wind up costing you more.
    In shrimp quality is everything, and it's never cheap. But I'd rather pay more for great shrimp. And if I didn't feel like spending that much, I'd order something else.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Shrimp 2005/09/12 17:44:47 (permalink)
    lleechef,
    next time I go to the fish market, I'll ask where they get their shrimp from.
    The shrimp I bought didn't cook down and were a huge hit at a fundraiser I hosted.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1