Shrinkage in Burgers

Author
shoosh
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2004/12/12 06:45:57 (permalink)

Shrinkage in Burgers

Dear Members
I'm new here , and need your help please.
I have a small burger place, I have a small problem, I make the pâté and freeze it; at the time of cooking it shrinks and loses more than 20% of it size. I used soy protein, bread crump. I reduced the amount of fat to 12% and nothing is working.

can any one help me please?

is there something like a universal recipe for burgers?

please help

regards

shoosh

14 Replies Related Threads

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Shrinkage in Burgers 2004/12/12 21:03:27 (permalink)
    The solution seems simple enough. Experiment with more of the product & don't be satisfied until you get results wanted. If you are experiencing 20% shrinkage, use 20-25% more product before cooking; adjust your prices accordingly.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Shrinkage in Burgers 2004/12/12 21:33:59 (permalink)
    Shrinkage is primarily due to two things in the ground meat.....water and/or fat. Frankly, I would eliminate the soy protein and bread crumbs, as you are probably adding water with them, which then evaporates during frying (causing shrinkage). If you are grinding your own meat, trim more fat from it before grinding. If you are buying your meat pre-ground, buy a less-fatty meat, perhaps even a 98% lean (2% fat) if you can find it. Yes, it will cost more, but it will reduce your shrinkage. It is almost impossible to get 0% shrinkage, but you certainly should be able to do a lot better than 20%.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Shrinkage in Burgers 2004/12/12 21:46:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by 6star

Shrinkage is primarily due to two things in the ground meat.....water and/or fat. Frankly, I would eliminate the soy protein and bread crumbs, as you are probably adding water with them, which then evaporates during frying (causing shrinkage). If you are grinding your own meat, trim more fat from it before grinding. If you are buying your meat pre-ground, buy a less-fatty meat, perhaps even a 98% lean (2% fat) if you can find it. Yes, it will cost more, but it will reduce your shrinkage. It is almost impossible to get 0% shrinkage, but you certainly should be able to do a lot better than 20%.

This a good point; however I made my post assuming same did NOT want to change their recipe. Once you have got "sumpthin" good, stick with it.

Oh yeah... BTW... If it still sticks, use more PAM...
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Shrinkage in Burgers 2004/12/13 22:56:53 (permalink)
    Freezing probably dont help at all... Why fresh grind then ruin it? (Remember refrigeration works on an evaporation principle).
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Shrinkage in Burgers 2004/12/14 01:26:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

(Remember refrigeration works on an evaporation principle).

Correct. In fact, one can look at a freezer as a big dehumidifier that just happens to get REAL cold.
    shoosh
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Shrinkage in Burgers 2004/12/14 01:47:09 (permalink)
    thank you dears
    I'm buying Beef in bulk, it is frozen. once I form the burger I put it back to freez for later use during the week (I can't do this process every day, as I said I have limited resources).
    I was told that Soy protin will hold the water inside even during cooking/frying. I'm now trying to cchange the percentage of soy down and up.
    I tried to use 90% lean beef, but the burger was very dry...
    I'm still in square ZERO.
    please keep the suggestings going

thanks

shoosh
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Shrinkage in Burgers 2004/12/14 02:05:26 (permalink)
    I'd say spend a few extra cents and find a butcher locally that will sell it fresh to you (as needed). To buy frozen, thaw and to refreeze is just a waste of time and product. You're actually worse then some of these fast food joints doing that stunt... And the time your investing in trying to improve a burger that is frozen/re-frozen (and trying to revive it), I cant imagine your saving anything...
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Shrinkage in Burgers 2004/12/14 02:35:02 (permalink)
    If you fry a 4 oz. (1/4 lb) patty of your ground beef mixture in a skillet, when it is is done (after shrinking), is there grease left in the skillet, and if so, how much? (less than a teaspoon, between 1 teaspoon and 2 teaspoons, more than 2 teaspoons?) If there is more than 1 teaspoon, your shrinkage is due to "rendering out" the grease from the fatty meat. If "rendering out" is the cause of your shrinkage, you need to cook your burgers by searing the outside of your patty at a high temperature on both sides first for a very short time, and then cook the patty to the desired doneness at a lower temperature. You will seal in more of the juices (and fat) and end up with a juicier burger and less shrinkage. If there is less than a teaspoon of grease left in the skillet after shrinking (or maybe even none at all visible), then your shrinkage is due to the water "boiling" out of your meat. You may be adding way too much soy protein (and water) and just have to cut down, or even eliminate it. There are many burgers being cooked every day in restaurants with no soy protein in them, and the majority of them, I am sure, are not turning out dry. Again, sear the outside to seal in the juices first, then cook the inside at a lower temperature. No matter what your setup is, I am sure you have areas of higher temperature and areas of lower temperature available to use.
    redtressed
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Shrinkage in Burgers 2004/12/14 03:53:57 (permalink)
    that dang cold water is always shrinking something

I'm with Uncle Vic on buying from a local butcher. Also once you establish a good and reliable business relationship with one, often some benefits are passed onto you.
    And 6star's explaination is dead on in it's theory. One thing I do notice, is in the grind itself of the meat. A finer grind tends to remain more true to original size than a larger grind, I guess due to the amount of processing done by the grinder. Also though a finer grind may be a bit drier so often you may need to add a little grease(butter, whatever) boost to it to retain the juiciness.
    Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 890
    RE: Shrinkage in Burgers 2004/12/14 10:20:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by redtressed

Somehow I suspected that redtressed would know about shrinkage...
    Maynerd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: Shrinkage in Burgers 2004/12/14 11:24:21 (permalink)
    I can just hear George Costanza yelling about shrinkage...

Just curious, have any "home grinders" ever ground bacon with their ground meat to impart a little bacon flavor and to add a little juiciness?
    redtressed
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Shrinkage in Burgers 2004/12/14 13:07:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    pogophiles
    Double Cheeseburger

769 Posts
    Posted - 12/14/2004 : 10:20:00
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
    Originally posted by redtressed

Somehow I suspected that redtressed would know about shrinkage...

Yeah, yeah, yeah.......unfortunately though I can't get my OWN body to adhere to the rules of cold water shrinkage.
    hilldweller
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: Shrinkage in Burgers 2004/12/14 13:53:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Maynerd

I can just hear George Costanza yelling about shrinkage...

quote:
    George Costanza: Do women know about shrinkage?
    Elaine: What, you mean like laundry?
    Jerry: No. Like when you're in a pool... afterwards...
    Elaine: It shrinks?
    Jerry: Like a frigthened turtle.
    Elaine: Why does it shrink?
    George Costanza: It just does.
    Elaine: I don't know how you guys walk around with those things.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: Shrinkage in Burgers 2004/12/14 14:41:35 (permalink)
    Put a hole in the middle of the burger with the tip end of a wooden spoon, it wouldn't take too much extra time. Give it a try.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1