Sick of Salmon...

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2006/06/03 18:45:26 (permalink)

Sick of Salmon...

I am getting so sick of salmon, I don't know why. I used to love it, seemed even exotic, now its turning up so much all over the place that it's becoming ubiquitous! (Grin) But I really am sick of it. Anyone else?

41 Replies Related Threads

BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Sick of Salmon... 2006/06/03 19:02:54 (permalink)
    Perhaps you are getting sick of it for the same reason it's getting ubiquitous: farmed salmon has become cheap, common and has displaced wild salmon from the market. And farmed salmon is not as good. It's not even pink until they color it (because the fish don't get to eat the critters in the ocean that produce the pigment and probably some of the flavor).

But regardless, it's still one of the only fin fish I really like (along with flounder or sole).
    Zman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 93
    RE: Sick of Salmon... 2006/06/03 23:41:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM

I am getting so sick of salmon, I don't know why.

Well, I could be mistaken but it is probably because of all the cheap farmed Atlantic salmon that has been replacing the superior natural wild Alaskan pacific salmon on the market.

BT hit it right on the head! The farmed fish are fed an engineered diet so they all come out uniform in size and color (via DYE in their food )

These farmed fish don't swim for 3 or 4 years in the ocean eating natural food AND don't store up the same kind of good Omega3 fats as wild fish.

ASK your waitperson if the fish is farmed or natural.

Choose the wild stock salmon and I think you will enjoy it again!
    RC51Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 443
    RE: Sick of Salmon... 2006/06/04 08:15:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Zman

quote:

I am getting so sick of salmon, I don't know why.

Well, I could be mistaken but it is probably because of all the cheap farmed Atlantic salmon that has been replacing the superior natural wild Alaskan pacific salmon on the market.

BT hit it right on the head! The farmed fish are fed an engineered diet so they all come out uniform in size and color (via DYE in their food )

These farmed fish don't swim for 3 or 4 years in the ocean eating natural food AND don't store up the same kind of good Omega3 fats as wild fish.

ASK your waitperson if the fish is farmed or natural.

Choose the wild stock salmon and I think you will enjoy it again!
    salsailsa
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 405
    RE: Sick of Salmon... 2006/06/04 11:26:32 (permalink)
    Hi! I agree with the above posts and would like to add that I have been eating more steelhead trout as an alternative to salmon. I find the flavour better and I think you can more readily get wild steelhead than wild salmon in stores these days. I'm not sure that many restaurants feature it,though?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18255
    RE: Sick of Salmon... 2006/06/04 12:51:44 (permalink)
    There's another excellent reason to avoid farmed salmon: Mercury and PCBs -- not that the lack of flavor and good fat, and the fact that it's the food pellets that give farmed salmon the color, aren't good enough reasons to avoid it. By the way, an easy tipoff that the Atlantic salmon on menus and in stores is farmed is the "proud" annoucement that it's fresh from Chile. Chile, as most folks know, is on the Pacific Ocean.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Sick of Salmon... 2006/06/06 08:58:15 (permalink)
    Guys/Girls: That makes sense about the "farm" raised salmon; it does have a no-taste taste. Now, where can I get some nice wild salmon on the East Coast?
    dbrandon
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 70
    RE: Sick of Salmon... 2006/06/06 09:18:02 (permalink)
    I'll second the steelhead trout. I'd also recommend Arctic Char as another "orange" fish that's a good alternative to salmon.

Dan Brandon,
    sensing something fishy
    Bulldozer Rectangle
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: Sick of Salmon... 2006/06/06 18:33:29 (permalink)
    quote:

Guys/Girls: That makes sense about the "farm" raised salmon; it does have a no-taste taste. Now, where can I get some nice wild salmon on the East Coast?

You will have to search it out, and pay for it accordingly. I live in Houston... not anywhere close to the cold Pacific, but we have it in more upscale grocery stores. Central Market, Whole Foods, various independent seafood market type places. One thing I've heard, if it says "Atlantic," run away. While it may be good quality, the wild atlantic salmon population is way overfished. Stay away.

When I was on the Cape last summer, I bought wild king salmon. You can find it, just maybe not at Stop and Shop, Kroger, and the other prepacked food pimps.

With regards to eating out, again, ask if it's Atlantic salmon. If so, that's not what you're looking for.

Happy eating. Wish I had cheaper news.
    Jennifer_4
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1508
    RE: Sick of Salmon... 2006/06/06 18:41:52 (permalink)
    I've had so very little of it that I'm just starting to appreciate it if done well.. I've had 2 excellent versions in places I'd never expect.. local steakhouses... one done in Asian fashion and one with a lemon dill sauce..
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Sick of Salmon... 2006/06/06 18:55:13 (permalink)
    Best I ever had was at the restaurant attached to a motel in Pt. Arena, CA:

Although this area of coastline is breathtakingly beautiful, the motel was the only available room for a hundred miles or so up and down the coast, and still had 50's-era orange naugahyde upholstry on everything. I wasn't expecting much in the restaurant but the salmon was amazingly fresh and done with a dill sauce that was wonderful.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Sick of Salmon... 2006/06/06 22:31:17 (permalink)
    Kiowa1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: Sick of Salmon... 2006/06/06 23:29:36 (permalink)
    Maybe you suffer from Salmonella...
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Sick of Salmon... 2006/06/07 02:14:05 (permalink)
    My grandfother had a boat in Depoe Bay, Oregon and a vacation house near Lincoln City. i ate fresh salmon frequently(even caught a few) and have been spoiled ever since. Farmed salmon is as different from wild salmon as wild turkey is from domesticated turkey. The gamier the taste, the better the eating.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5546
    RE: Sick of Salmon... 2006/06/07 10:02:51 (permalink)
    NYNM, I feel the exact same way as you. My wife loves salmon, and buys it all the time. I tell her that I don't care for salmon anymore, so she buys me catfish ot some other fish.

This past week, I ate salmon for the first time in months. I grilled it on my new barbeque grill with generous amounts of Dinosaur BBQ sauce. I think it's the only way I'll ever eat salmon again. Which will probably be another 10 months from now.

Bob in Cary
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 137
    RE: Sick of Salmon... 2006/06/07 13:51:51 (permalink)
    I quit eating salmon a couple of years ago. I used to love it. I can't tolerate talipia either.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Sick of Salmon... 2006/06/07 14:18:52 (permalink)
    I have trouble thinking of Talapia as a real fish. Seems too much like some sort of synthetic "wierd science" creation that should be in a pond in the yard, not on the dinner table (think something with 3 eyes like in The Simpsons):

And when somebody talks of eating catfish, visions of bewiskered fishies eating garbage on the river bottom come to mind.

Sorry, but salmon (which still taste good to me and swim in clean water only--if pollution gets out of hand, they die) still tastes good to me but wild salmon tastes best. And I prefer a white sauce such as dill.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6614
    RE: Sick of Salmon... 2006/06/08 02:42:33 (permalink)
    Zman has been bugging me to put in my 2 cents about salmon. When I was cheffing in Boston there usually was no wild Alaskan salmon, so I went to my fish co. and picked out Atlantic salmon that were either from Scotland or Ireland. At the time (16 years ago) they produced a very good product. Then came the Chilean salmon with all the nonsense and coloring added to the fish. By then I had moved on to Alaska and found wild salmon that we caught, gutted and filleted ourselves. Heaven. Grilled with a little beurre blanc.......especially if it's a Yukon River king salmon! Better than foie gras.

And yes, the other two fish that I have serious issues with are tilapia and Chilean sea bass. They both get shipped to the US frozen. The tilapia tastes like cardboard and looks just like that fish above. The Chilean sea bass gets shipped frozen too.......tastes like an old shoebox.

Unfortunately I realize that wild salmon is not available in most places. Too bad. It is truly a delicate and delicious fish.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5546
    RE: Sick of Salmon... 2006/06/08 10:37:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

And when somebody talks of eating catfish, visions of bewiskered fishies eating garbage on the river bottom come to mind.

It's probably the PCPs from the polluted water that gives the catfish its spice. I don't care though, I just cover it with cajon seasoning and blacken it.

RibRater
    • Total Posts : 1862
    RE: Sick of Salmon... 2006/06/08 11:00:47 (permalink)
    Fish is third on favorite meat list so while fresh/wild is good, I'll eat salmon or just about any other fish whenever good ribs or sausage are not available.

I'm baking some salmon this afternoon ...covered in italian bread crumbs with a nice garlicky tomato sauce on top. Good eating!

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Sick of Salmon... 2006/06/08 11:27:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

Zman has been bugging me to put in my 2 cents about salmon. When I was cheffing in Boston there usually was no wild Alaskan salmon, so I went to my fish co. and picked out Atlantic salmon that were either from Scotland or Ireland. At the time (16 years ago) they produced a very good product. Then came the Chilean salmon with all the nonsense and coloring added to the fish. By then I had moved on to Alaska and found wild salmon that we caught, gutted and filleted ourselves. Heaven. Grilled with a little beurre blanc.......especially if it's a Yukon River king salmon! Better than foie gras.

And yes, the other two fish that I have serious issues with are tilapia and Chilean sea bass. They both get shipped to the US frozen. The tilapia tastes like cardboard and looks just like that fish above. The Chilean sea bass gets shipped frozen too.......tastes like an old shoebox.

Unfortunately I realize that wild salmon is not available in most places. Too bad. It is truly a delicate and delicious fish.

In fact, Chilean Sea Bass is not any species of bass. It is actually a fish known as Patagonian toothfish, or Dissostichus eleginoides. Most of it does not even come from Chilean waters. Most of the toothfish, marketed under the name Chilean Sea Bass because it was assumed no one would buy something called toothfish, comes from the waters around Antarctica.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Sick of Salmon... 2006/06/08 15:17:08 (permalink)
    MH, yes I knew that it is definately NOT part of the bass family, of which I have caught many in the Atlantic, stripers and some large-mouth in the Carolinas, and that the real name was toothfish. They should keep that name! Sometimes we have to buy it for catering and it comes in frozen, when thawed has this nasty texture and smell and I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Sick of Salmon... 2006/06/08 15:44:27 (permalink)
    quote:

MH, yes I knew that it is definately NOT part of the bass family, of which I have caught many in the Atlantic, stripers and some large-mouth in the Carolinas, and that the real name was toothfish. They should keep that name! Sometimes we have to buy it for catering and it comes in frozen, when thawed has this nasty texture and smell and I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole!

I thought chefs were boycotting Chilean sea bass because of the concern over it being overfished.
    dbear
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: Sick of Salmon... 2006/06/08 16:01:21 (permalink)
    I've been tired of tasteless salmon for some time. The explanations provided here make unfortunate sense. It is possible, for a price, to get reasonably fresh wild pacific salmon in Boston, but it is the exception. One way I have found to deal with this, as real salmon is a favorite, may be heresy to some, but works for me. We have several Trader Joe's outlets in the Boston area. Sometimes they have frozen pacific salmon dressed with a pretty decent cajun spice mix. Although frozen, the fish smells like good clean fish (eg, no smell at all) when thawed, and just has that different taste that fresh pacific salmon has, although not as intense. We usually grill it, although have tried it several ways. The cajun spice is not overpowering and enhances the flavor of the fish.
    db
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Sick of Salmon... 2006/06/08 16:23:40 (permalink)
    MH, yes that was the trend a couple of years ago. I never did buy the stinkin stuff (except when pressured for catering when they would accept no substitute). Just as a funny FYI, I DID get a letter from the Billfish Foundation in Ft. Lauderdale, yelling at me because I had blue marlin on my special menu for about a week!!! Hey, it was dead, my fishmonger had it so I bought it!

db....we freeze our salmon catch every year. I'm sure Trader Joe's has a quality product as usual.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Sick of Salmon... 2006/06/08 16:50:23 (permalink)
    quote:

MH, yes that was the trend a couple of years ago. I never did buy the stinkin stuff (except when pressured for catering when they would accept no substitute). Just as a funny FYI, I DID get a letter from the Billfish Foundation in Ft. Lauderdale, yelling at me because I had blue marlin on my special menu for about a week!!! Hey, it was dead, my fishmonger had it so I bought it!

db....we freeze our salmon catch every year. I'm sure Trader Joe's has a quality product as usual.

Unless they've since changed the law, it's illegal to sell blue marlin.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Sick of Salmon... 2006/06/08 16:54:29 (permalink)
    I just bought some blue marlin a couple of weeks ago so I guess it's not illegal. I think they can only take the fish from designated areas, like always.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Sick of Salmon... 2006/06/08 17:35:05 (permalink)
    OK. I just checked. There is still a federal law barring the sale of any Atlantic marlin, blue or white. Also prohibited is the sale of sailfish. Pacific blue and white marlin can be sold.
    fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    RE: Sick of Salmon... 2006/06/27 21:24:28 (permalink)
    I spice up big time my salmon with something I bought called Potlach Seasoning from Williams-Sonoma which has salt, black pepper, paprika, chili pepper, oregano,red pepper flakes, basil, and coriander. Very Delicious.
    oltheimmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Sick of Salmon... 2006/06/27 22:13:30 (permalink)
    quote:

I am getting so sick of salmon, I don't know why. I used to love it, seemed even exotic, now its turning up so much all over the place that it's becoming ubiquitous! (Grin) But I really am sick of it. Anyone else?
    I am as sick of catfish as you are of salmon. You can't escape it on menus around here and its all farmed, which means it has a chemical taste. I've sworn off it.

I'm not that sick of salmon yet. I've found some that is labeled 'wild caught' which seems to have better flavor. I wonder what that phrase means? I suppose 'wild caught' does not necessarily mean 'wild raised;' it could still be farmed.

For seasoning, I use a mix I make up from a recipe in a Paul Prudhomme book.

I was at my Dentist's last week and while I didn't learn a darn thing about gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches I did learn about an AYCE catfish fry in Central Texas that serves river or lake cat. I've put it on my agenda to try to make it up there this summer.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1