Sides for hot dogs

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Xfireguy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 105
2006/02/04 10:01:26 (permalink)

Sides for hot dogs

As I've stated a million times before..."i'm in the research process of opening my own hot dog joint", so my question is what sides would you prefer with your hot dog? I want to keep my menu small so i have to narrow it to a couple of sides. Originally I was against french fries, I worked in kitchens enough to know about the excess heat, burns, slippery floors, greased up exhausts and equipment and the hastle of cleaning the friolators. After much deliberation I feel I would lose alot of business by not offering fries. I feel chips would only satisfy some customers, and fries are the #1 snack food in America. Do you feel I'm making the right decision doing fries instead of chips? Any input would help alot thanks!

48 Replies Related Threads

Captain Morgan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 512
    RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/04 10:20:04 (permalink)
    Everybody loves fries. Ever heard anyone say "I hate french fries?"

Good profit margin on em too.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/04 10:34:04 (permalink)
    If you do, make very good fries.

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/04 10:43:50 (permalink)
    Instead of traditional fries, why don't you investigate making some home style kettle chips?
    RC51Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 446
    RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/04 12:42:49 (permalink)
    I agree with the fries or home made chips. Excellent fries seem to be one of those things that creates a buzz. And if the patrons aren't into hot dogs, they will likely still go for good fries. I've been to a couple nice restaurants that serve home made chips and they too create a reputation. I always thought you could be successful at a mom/pop small scale place if you just did one or two things that really stand out. Just my uninformed two cents.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4275
    RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/04 12:43:15 (permalink)
    I understand and sympathize with your concerns regarding grease and all its attendant problems. But, if you have the patience and the wherewithal to handle it, this is a no brainer. chicagostyledog, any thoughts?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18652
    RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/04 13:59:36 (permalink)
    When I was growing up the sides I always got with my hotdogs were fried clams, french fries, lobster rolls and clams on the half shell. Oh, and a pineapple drink or birch beer.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/04 14:37:50 (permalink)
    Thin sliced potatoes cook fast, smell good, salt easy and to me appears cheap to make, substitutes for chips chips and fries and are certainly more unusual.

You can dust them with a variety of sppices such as chili powder and other tasty things.

They are like potato chips except slightly thicker.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    ScreenBear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/04 17:54:43 (permalink)
    I think I'm in the minority here. Given the choice of great French Fries or great Potato Salad as sides for my dogs, I'd be hard-put to make a decision.

That said, only second to a better mousetrap, if you cook great French Fries, they'll beat a path to your door. Or, if you cook it, they will come.
    The Bear
    tkitna
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 634
    RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/05 01:59:25 (permalink)
    I agree with ScreenBear. Potato Salad or a good Slaw would be preferable for me, but if I had my choice, some good baked beans cant be beat.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/05 02:47:18 (permalink)
    If you are planning to offer chili and cheese as extra-charge toppings for your dogs, let me toss out a suggestion. Offer a microwave-baked potato. It can be used as a side, and also as a "meal" by using the chili and cheese toppings too. Then offer slaw as a side, and it can be another extra-charge topping for your dogs.

When our Boy Scout troop sells food as a money raiser at Rondezvous, we sell hot dogs, nachos and micro-baked potatoes, offering chili (w/o beans), nacho cheese sauce, and salsa as extra-charge toppings on all three items. Butter (for the potato), chopped onions, jalapeno slices (for the nachos), catsup, mustard and sweet relish (for the dogs) are all free. By using toppings that can apply to all 3 items, we keep our inventory down, while offering a fairly large number of combinations for the customer to pick from. The customers seem to like all the offerings (and yes, some people like salsa dogs).
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/05 04:57:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

When I was growing up the sides I always got with my hotdogs were fried clams, french fries, lobster rolls and clams on the half shell. Oh, and a pineapple drink or birch beer.
    Sounds like alot of food- you must be huge.
    Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/05 08:44:27 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    I love fries with a hot dog. If I can't have fries, then give me pork and beans with chips.
    I have a friend who grew up in Maine, and one of her favorite childhood memories is Saturday
    night meals of hot dogs, brown bread and baked beans. I tried the baked beans with hot dogs,
    but found the beans were not sweet enough.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/05 09:29:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jeepguy

quote:

Sounds like alot of food- you must be huge.

Well, I was a growing boy at the time. The usual order was four hotdogs, two lobster rolls, a pint order of fried clams (real ones, not strips), a similar size order of french fries, a half dozen clams on the half shell (always at least seven, sometimes there'd be eight), and one drink. And just so you'll know how long ago that was, I'd get change from a five dollar bill.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/07 18:38:02 (permalink)
    Baked beans would be a good side also.. Can be used as a side, or as a topping on the dog.
    mugirl2003
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/07 19:29:01 (permalink)
    Tater Tots or potato wedges maybe??
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/08 05:21:38 (permalink)
    I think it would be a mistake not to have fries. But, why not offer them plain or seasoned with different flavors to choose from like spicy fries, dill fries, curry fries, cumin fries, etc.? I know I would go for the dill fries. Yah, and definitely offer the cole slaw as you'll need it for the dogs as well. Onion rings are a must as well. And how about a side salad or vegetable soup for those who are trying to be "healhy", but are there because the kids want a simple dog and fries?

Andrea
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/08 06:59:51 (permalink)
    Try German potato sald and cole slaw both would go well with the barkers. I can understand the fryolator thing if you find it nessesary you can always add it later. Chow Jim
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/08 10:58:27 (permalink)
    When I stop at a cart I'm not interested in "sides" a couple dogs and a drink, maybe a bag of chips and back on the road I go. Its different if its a vendor at the carnival or festival but I still dont want to try and balance a couple dogs, side of fries and a drink while standing so I'll buy a dog and eat while walking, then hit the next stand for a crabcake or basket of shrimp or whatever. The more you offer the more logistics you have to deal with so when starting K.I.S.S applies 10 fold.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/09 11:54:48 (permalink)
    The problem with anything but fries or chips is that you need silver/plastic-ware to eat. So, it appears that if you want to keep the food "hand"y, you should serve fries or chips. But don't forget the pickles.

That said, if I had my druthers, my hotdog platter would involve potato salad and baked beans.

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/09 12:13:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

The problem with anything but fries or chips is that you need silver/plastic-ware to eat. So, it appears that if you want to keep the food "hand"y, you should serve fries or chips. But don't forget the pickles.

That said, if I had my druthers, my hotdog platter would involve potato salad and baked beans.

Heck, all you need to eat sides of fried clams, lobster rolls and raw clams are fingers and a mouth.
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2217
    RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/09 12:50:50 (permalink)
    quote:

Hoffman, you are one weird old man. pb
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/09 13:41:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by porkbeaks

quote:

Hoffman, you are one weird old man. pb

Thanks, but what I had with my hot dogs was the same as everyone else had where I lived.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/09 14:43:24 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

Heck, all you need to eat sides of fried clams, lobster rolls and raw clams are fingers and a mouth.

True. True. But then I never really considered fried clams, lobster rolls or raw clams as side dishes. Case in point, if I had a lobster roll on the same plate as a hotdog, I think I'd consider the hotdog the side item.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/09 14:48:25 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

True. True. But then I never really considered fried clams, lobster rolls or raw clams as side dishes. Case in point, if I had a lobster roll on the same plate as a hotdog, I think I'd consider the hotdog the side item.

Ah, but you didn't grow up on the shore of Long Island Sound.
    rjb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/09 15:01:48 (permalink)
    Sides like slaw, beans & especially potato salad are all subject to highly personal taste (usually equaling what mom made), unlike fries/chips which, despite a measure of variability, are reasonably standard items of generally broad appeal. I've only had really bad FF's once, but am routinely disappointed by the sugary, gloppy concoctions routinely passed off as slaw & potato salad.

FF's would seem to be the better bet for a dog joint unless you want to make one or more distinctive sides as specialized, signature dishes.
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2217
    RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/09 15:03:21 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not to mention the fact that back when you were stuffing your face with lobster it was still considered a "trash" dish....or aren't you THAT old. pb
    Poopy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/10 17:09:25 (permalink)
    Onion rings!
    Saint Matt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 183
    RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/10 18:06:05 (permalink)
    You could serve air-cooked shoe string potatoes. They can be quite good, especially with seasoning salt or covered in chilli. Less messy than a deep fryer. Appealing to customers who don't want a deep-fried side dish.

A place near me serves them and they are just as good as regular fries. You can barely tell the difference.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/10 18:37:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by porkbeaks

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not to mention the fact that back when you were stuffing your face with lobster it was still considered a "trash" dish....or aren't you THAT old. pb

One can only guess at your eating habits if you think anyone stuffs his or her face with lobster. And the guess is most unappetizing.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1