Sides

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
hermitt4d
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: Sides 2003/10/28 13:10:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

quote:
Originally posted by Maynerd

Cornbread, hot water cornbread, or crackers works for me. Usually like to add some chopped raw white onion and grated cheddar cheese on top

Sounds perfect to me---with or without beans!Saltines,not ritz style--and a big glass of buttermilk!

Buttermilk - great idea . I wasn't going to mention it since this thread is supposedly about sides, not mix-ins, but I've used sour cream in chili. In the absence of sour cream, I've added yogurt. And , in the absence of yogurt, resorted to a couple of tablespoons of buttermilk . It was pretty thick chili.

Another side of historical interest is grilled sour dough bread. I read an article on chili once which suggested that besides cornbread fixins, chuck wagons would carry along sour dough starter since they wouldn't have access to those little packets of yeast .
Lone Star
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Sides 2003/10/28 14:35:01 (permalink)
hermit - Pinto beans are cooked with nothing but some sort of pig, salt, and pepper.

It is an entirely different meal to me, but my husband was raised that it was part of a chili meal so I adapted.

Cornbread, a layer of beans, then chili.

Bushie - I have to have sweet pickle relish with my beans.

I would be willing to bend my elbow and discuss.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18382
RE: Sides 2003/10/28 15:10:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by oneiron339

Good chili - with beans - needs nothing more than a few oyster crackers or corn bread and the only side dish which was previously mentioned.....BEER!

Good chili with beans is an oxymoron. But I'm glad you agree about the beer.
hawkeyejohn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 257
RE: Sides 2003/10/28 15:47:06 (permalink)
quote:
Good chili with beans is an oxymoron. But I'm glad you agree about the beer.

AMEN

I like grated cheddar, some Fritos, chopped raw onion and some good hearty bread and butter on the side, with (of course) beer to drink.
hilldweller
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 168
RE: Sides 2003/10/29 12:23:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

Hey,

Speaking of food songs.....

Woke up this morning
Before the Sun
Fixed me some coffee and a honey bun

Jumped in the Pickup
Gave it some gas
I'm going out to catch me a FIVE POUND BASS

I see a ripple
I hear a splash
Good God A'mighty, it's a five pound bass!

You know....as REK says....the early worm gets the big fish

That's the them song to the[url='http://www.the-sopranos.com/db/wokeup.htm']The Sopranos[/url], isn't it?
Edwaste
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 168
RE: Sides 2003/10/31 14:53:46 (permalink)
What My wife and I do is make pancakes (flapjacks) using Corn muffin batter. Pour the Chili on top. Or make Dumplings with the corn muffing mix.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2880
RE: Sides 2003/11/04 01:47:54 (permalink)
Chili with dumplings? Hmmmmm...verrrry interesteeeng...
spadoman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 228
RE: Sides 2003/11/04 06:30:25 (permalink)
I think Chili is one of those things that wherever you're from or whereever you've had what they call chili is what you think chili should be.
In other words, someone from Cincy and someone from Austin get together for chili, they make it two different ways, but they're both chili.
I make 3 different kinds here at home depending on which one I (or my wife or my grandkids) have a taste for.
Oh, I serve it w/ cornbread and I like to put some crackers on it sometimes.
hermitt4d
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: Sides 2003/11/04 07:05:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by clothier

I was invited to a tail-gate partyone year, and in order to appease all palates, the host had made cinncinati chili, texas (meat chunks, no beans) and your basic ground beef and bean. Anyway, it still started an argument over which was really chili. I was too busy eating to enter into the discussion.

Not only the most diplomatic course of action but probably the most satisfying since all the others were probably frustrated by not being able to change anyones minds.
Acuff-12
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 82
RE: Sides 2003/12/31 11:57:48 (permalink)
Tortilla chips, baked or fried are great in chili.
Matt
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18382
RE: Sides 2003/12/31 12:46:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by oneiron339

Good chili - with beans - needs nothing more than a few oyster crackers or corn bread and the only side dish which was previously mentioned.....BEER!

"Good chili -- with beans" is an oxymoron.
olphart
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 289
RE: Sides 2004/01/03 09:40:13 (permalink)
Jalapeño cornbread and tamales.
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Sides 2004/01/03 10:46:31 (permalink)
Tortilla Chips (On the side), saltines, sharp cheddar and fresh chopped onions...
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Sides 2004/01/03 10:47:32 (permalink)
Oh ya, and as someone else said earlier... Cant forget the BEER!
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Sides 2004/01/03 12:11:38 (permalink)
and beer is good with chili too,dontcha think?
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15244
RE: Sides 2004/01/03 12:44:12 (permalink)

As much as I have tried to adapt, I just can't get used to the 'Pasta on the bottom of the bowl' style of Mid-Western Chili. Now ChiliMac is something different, the pasta being a major player in the composition of the whole dish...but - except for the Chili-Parlor Chili that is served in layers on an oval shaped plate with the noodles forming the bottom layer, the need to put a gob of pasta in the bottom of the bowl before filling that bowl with "normal" Chili is beyond my understanding.
I like "Thick" chili, much the same as I like "Thick" Split Pea Soup. In the case of the Pea Soup, that usually means it has been around for awhile and has aged greacefully to a thicker condition.
With Chili, you can do that also, and can hasten it a bit by tossing in some spicey refried beans near the end of the prep-time. Those smushed frejoles will thicken the mess better than any other additive!
No, I am not a purist, by far...but I know what I like!
Cakes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: Sides 2004/01/03 13:28:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

As much as I have tried to adapt, I just can't get used to the 'Pasta on the bottom of the bowl' style of Mid-Western Chili. Now ChiliMac is something different, the pasta being a major player in the composition of the whole dish...but - except for the Chili-Parlor Chili that is served in layers on an oval shaped plate with the noodles forming the bottom layer, the need to put a gob of pasta in the bottom of the bowl before filling that bowl with "normal" Chili is beyond my understanding.
I like "Thick" chili, much the same as I like "Thick" Split Pea Soup. In the case of the Pea Soup, that usually means it has been around for awhile and has aged greacefully to a thicker condition.
With Chili, you can do that also, and can hasten it a bit by tossing in some spicey refried beans near the end of the prep-time. Those smushed frejoles will thicken the mess better than any other additive!
No, I am not a purist, by far...but I know what I like!

You say Mid-western chili. As far as I know Cincinnati is where chili is served over pasta. If you look at a map you will see that Ohio is not mid-west, Mid-east maybe. I am from the midwest and I have never seen chili served over pasta.

We do put beans in however.

Cakes
berndog
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 674
RE: Sides 2004/01/03 13:57:47 (permalink)
A tossed salad to start with, then a good crusty bread; french, or a baguette and some butter to go with the chili. Beer or ice tea depending on mood.

I just cooked up a pot of "left-over" chili yesterday. Found some hamburger and sausage patties in the freezer left over from the fall grilling season, and used them up along with the remainder of the Christmas turkey. It wasn't the best batch I've made, but it was still good and beats most of the chili I've had in restauants.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Sides 2004/01/03 15:24:26 (permalink)
Cakes,
The term Mid-West can be real "relative" depending on your perspective !!! When I lived in Boston folks told me they were going 'Out West'...to Albany !!
When I interviewed in Pratt KS many years ago they referred to Indiana as Back East. Go figure.
The Mid-East has never been connected to a region in the USA as far as I know.
Midwest is a generalized descriptor for about all of Middle America - The part of the country that is drained by the Upper Mississippi and the Missouri-Ohio River System...and Ohio is certainly included in that catagory. FYI I am next door in Indiana and it certainly refers to itself as "Middle of America" in many of its descriptors.
Now about the chili. Cincinnati-style is unique. Not only because of the spices (sweet)used, and the noodle thing...but it is a Layered dish as opposed to a bowl of stuff all combined in the cooking process. In much of the surrounding area Ohio-Indiana, Kentucky,some parts of Michigan, and even in the St Louis Area it is common to serve bowls of what we would call a mild chili (peppery but not 'Hot') with a tablespoon or so of spagetti in the bottom of the bowl. This is an offshoot of the layer thing from Cincinnati, but different in the presentation and in the Pepper level in the chili itself. You won't find it in the places that brag on their Tex-Mex menus but in many of the diners and local restaurants you will.
Grampy
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: Sides 2004/01/03 16:09:15 (permalink)
Speaking of St. Louis, is O.T. Hodge Chili Parlor still around?
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Sides 2004/01/03 18:15:28 (permalink)
Grampy,
St Louis Yellow Pages lists 7 of them in the Metro area
Cakes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: Sides 2004/01/03 18:29:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Cakes,
The term Mid-West can be real "relative" depending on your perspective !!! When I lived in Boston folks told me they were going 'Out West'...to Albany !!
When I interviewed in Pratt KS many years ago they referred to Indiana as Back East. Go figure.
The Mid-East has never been connected to a region in the USA as far as I know.
Midwest is a generalized descriptor for about all of Middle America - The part of the country that is drained by the Upper Mississippi and the Missouri-Ohio River System...and Ohio is certainly included in that catagory. FYI I am next door in Indiana and it certainly refers to itself as "Middle of America" in many of its descriptors.
Now about the chili. Cincinnati-style is unique. Not only because of the spices (sweet)used, and the noodle thing...but it is a Layered dish as opposed to a bowl of stuff all combined in the cooking process. In much of the surrounding area Ohio-Indiana, Kentucky,some parts of Michigan, and even in the St Louis Area it is common to serve bowls of what we would call a mild chili (peppery but not 'Hot') with a tablespoon or so of spagetti in the bottom of the bowl. This is an offshoot of the layer thing from Cincinnati, but different in the presentation and in the Pepper level in the chili itself. You won't find it in the places that brag on their Tex-Mex menus but in many of the diners and local restaurants you will.

Al,

I wasn't trying to bust your chops. I am from NW Iowa and I have never seen chili served with pasta and I had never heard of it until I started poking around on the web. I now live in Florida and I don't think you would find it here either.

I think the term Mid-West is an egotistical view of the world from New Yorkers. You have New York, the Mid-West, and California.

When you were in Kansas, everything IS either east or west or north or south, for that matter. The geographical center of the lower 48 (sorry lleechef) is Kansas.

The term Mid-West has bothered me since grade school. Not that it has done me any good.

Cakes
autumneyez04
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: Sides 2004/02/21 18:20:53 (permalink)
I admit I'm from Louisiana and I do love rice in my chili. Actually most ppl we know think we are nuts and then try it and its spreading fast, they all love it!

BUT... my absoultely favorite way to eat chili is over shell pasta with a sprinkle of chopped onions and cheese on top! Oyster crackers on top of that!!! It's the best. As for cornbread, I don't know why, but I'm not a cornbread and chili person. To me cornbread is best served with Red Beans and Rice or Butter Beans with Ham. Maybe it's just a southern thing and I'm just a southern gal.

As for chili itself, I love putting in red kidney beans or ranch style beans or a mixture of both along with chopped canned tomatoes, onions, and celery! Dances like ectasy on my palate! Yummy
Ralph Isbill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Sides 2004/02/21 21:56:15 (permalink)
You ask what to serve with chili. The answer is simple--BEANS--not in the chili but with.

"If you know beans about chili, you know that chili has no beans"
Ralph Isbill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Sides 2004/02/22 02:05:29 (permalink)
Clothier, I stand in awe at your way with words and memory. But (there is always a but) as a chili head in good standing, I believe that it's my God given duty to preach the truth to all unbelievers.

Edited by Ralph Isbill
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6767
RE: Sides 2004/02/22 03:32:31 (permalink)
Where's Lone Star? Did the jackalope get her?" />
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Sides 2004/03/26 11:04:37 (permalink)
I have an aunt that always serves rice with her chili.

Me _ I like a loaf of crusty French bread warmed in the oven with my chili.
fcbaldwin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 388
RE: Sides 2004/03/26 11:17:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by emsmom

I have an aunt that always serves rice with her chili.

Me _ I like a loaf of crusty French bread warmed in the oven with my chili.

Rice with chili. Just plain long grain white rice. I've had it that way all of my life. Must be a southeastern U.S. thing.
But I also like pinto beans in there and grated cheddar cheese sprinkled on top along with some chopped onions.

Frank
danimal15
  • Total Posts : 1092
RE: Sides 2004/04/12 17:50:54 (permalink)
I can't eat chili without some warm macaroni under it and a cold beer next to it!
Sasaku
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: Sides 2004/08/23 08:16:44 (permalink)
Milk (best to kill heat with, been proven) and a nice big shiny spoon.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1