Signup for the Roadfood Insider!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 2130
2004/01/20 13:54:46 (permalink)

Signup for the Roadfood Insider!

Go to http://www.roadfood.com/MyRoadfood/Insider.aspx for registration through PayPal. PayPal accepts major credit cards and other forms of payment. You must be a registered user of Roadfood.com and also be logged into the site to signup. The cost is $19.95 for a one year subscription and the free trial will finish on January 30th for those holding out.

Everyone who signs up will receive a special logo next to their name in the forum.

34 Replies Related Threads

EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2888
    RE: Signup for the Roadfood Insider! 2004/01/20 21:24:28 (permalink)
    Can you make the "Roadfood Insider Member" tag a little smaller or something? It's really distracting. I understand it if you're just doing it big now to get the word out, but it makes scrolling through the posts a little jarring.
    RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Signup for the Roadfood Insider! 2004/01/20 22:23:25 (permalink)
    So how do you subscribe if you don't have Paypal?
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Signup for the Roadfood Insider! 2004/01/20 22:27:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by RubyRose

So how do you subscribe if you don't have Paypal?
    PayPal has a signup form if you haven't joined before. It's very easy to do.
    PCC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 111
    RE: Signup for the Roadfood Insider! 2004/01/21 00:00:12 (permalink)
    Don't suppose there is another way to pay except through paypal? I don't use paypal.
    RubyRose
    RE: Signup for the Roadfood Insider! 2004/01/21 07:53:16 (permalink)
    For many years, my husband has been a subcontractor in computer fraud for a government agency so I definitely do not want to signup for a "secure" PayPal account. At this point, if we don't have a PayPal account, we can't sign up for Roadfood Insider?
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Signup for the Roadfood Insider! 2004/01/21 09:03:53 (permalink)
    quote:

For many years, my husband has been a subcontractor in computer fraud for a government agency so I definitely do not want to signup for a "secure" PayPal account. At this point, if we don't have a PayPal account, we can't sign up for Roadfood Insider?
    Not at the moment. We have used it before with hundreds of people for a book signing we did a couple years ago and never had a single problem or complaint.

We are open to alternatives - What do you think is more secure?
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Signup for the Roadfood Insider! 2004/01/21 13:27:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Stephen Rushmore Jr.

quote:

Not at the moment. We have used it before with hundreds of people for a book signing we did a couple years ago and never had a single problem or complaint.

We are open to alternatives - What do you think is more secure?

I dont do payments via internet either! I suggest the old fashioned way ~> Money Order via Snail Mail!
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Signup for the Roadfood Insider! 2004/01/21 14:11:55 (permalink)
    Stephen, Dealing with snail mail would increase staff workload, but would it be that great after an initial surge of activity? If you accept payment by mail, I hope you'll accept personal checks too. You can activate service when a check clears.

I haven't used PayPal but will look into it for this purpose (I do pay some personal bills online and order from reputable firms). For anyone with security concerns, I would suggest:

Never use a debit card online or over the phone.
    Open a new credit card account, with a firm, small limit just for online payment/buying activity.

I have friends who will not do any kind of commerce online. If Roadfood.com doesn't offer some kind of snail mail option(s), I believe it will cost the company some subscribers. Who knows how many?
    RubyRose
    RE: Signup for the Roadfood Insider! 2004/01/21 14:59:42 (permalink)
    I belong to a number of boards with annual membership or subcription fees. All take paypal, personal check or money order and I pay by check. It does take about 2 weeks longer to renew the membership but I always do it in advance of the due date.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Signup for the Roadfood Insider! 2004/01/21 15:19:56 (permalink)
    "Stephen, Dealing with snail mail would increase staff workload, but would it be that great after an initial surge of activity?"

I personally enjoy mail filled with $$
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2888
    RE: Signup for the Roadfood Insider! 2004/01/21 20:18:29 (permalink)
    In my opinion, using Paypal is far more secure than handing your credit card over to underpaid retail and restaurant workers all the time. And if the number is stolen and used illegally, the credit card company eats the charges and investigates. After all, you don't leave your credit card at home just because someone could snatch your purse or pick your pocket.
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2320
    RE: Signup for the Roadfood Insider! 2004/01/22 05:44:16 (permalink)
    I have used Paypal several times over the past few years, with no problem. I'm not ready to make any endorsement, that's just my own experience.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Signup for the Roadfood Insider! 2004/01/22 06:06:55 (permalink)
    I'm with Elise and Pete on this one. All of my Ebay activity, both buying and selling (383 deals so far) have been using Paypal. So Far it seems to be secure, We also use it for other transactions- like the AOL airline ticket purchases. The fallback arrangement if there were to be a problem is two-fold. Ebay has a transaction insurance to protect the consumer from dishonest vendors, and the credit card company provides a 100% coverage for fraud situations.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Signup for the Roadfood Insider! 2004/01/24 06:30:13 (permalink)
    Oh Well... Being told there's no other option other then PayPal is like being told you must have Burnt Green Olives on your Burger and either eat it or forget it... Bummer...

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13549
    RE: Signup for the Roadfood Insider! 2004/01/24 12:56:29 (permalink)
    I signed up for Roadfood Insider. Which softwae do I have to purchase to be compatible?

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    hilldweller
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: Signup for the Roadfood Insider! 2004/01/27 16:29:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by JimInKy

Open a new credit card account, with a firm, small limit just for online payment/buying activity.

There are a number of credit cards that offer "virtual numbers."

Here's the[url='http://www.citibank.com/us/cards/tour/cb/shp_van.htm?ProspectID=F72586F26D4E4091BC2FED940707DFE9']Citibank version:[/url]

quote:
    With this free service for Citi cardmembers, you never have to give out your real credit card number online. Every time you use Virtual Account Numbers to make a purchase, a substitute number is generated to take the place of your real number. And every purchase you make will appear on your credit card statement, just like any other transaction.

You can also set any maximum amount from $1-up you wish with each virtual number.

The [url='http://www26.americanexpress.com/privatepayments/info_page.jsp?link=benefits']American Express version is called Private Payments:[/url]

quote:
    Now, rather than using your American Express® Card account number to shop online, you can use a secure, free Private Payments number instead. By using Private Payments, you will receive a unique number that is linked to your actual Card account each time you shop. Use Private Payments to protect your Card account information online.
    gimmepork
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Signup for the Roadfood Insider! 2004/01/28 09:41:41 (permalink)
    Sorry if this has been discussed already or if the info is elsewhere on the site, but if we don't sign up for Roadfood Insider, does that mean that we can't access the restaurant reviews or do a search for a restaurant? Can we still access/contribute to the forums?
    Thanks.
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Signup for the Roadfood Insider! 2004/01/29 16:01:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

I signed up for Roadfood Insider. Which softwae do I have to purchase to be compatible?

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    In order to get the advanced mapping functionality you need to purchase MSFT Streets & Trips - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00009Q6KO/roadfood

I highly recommend that product if you travel frequenty in your car.
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Signup for the Roadfood Insider! 2004/01/29 16:04:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by gimmepork

Sorry if this has been discussed already or if the info is elsewhere on the site, but if we don't sign up for Roadfood Insider, does that mean that we can't access the restaurant reviews or do a search for a restaurant? Can we still access/contribute to the forums?
    Thanks.
    Yes, you can still do all of that. The Roadfood Insider gives you Maps, Roadfood Logbook and a Trip Planning template for Microsoft Streets & Trips. All future functionality to the site will be available only to the subscribers of the Roadfood Insider.
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: Signup for the Roadfood Insider! 2004/01/29 17:29:12 (permalink)
    I've never had a problem with PayPal and I've transacted large amounts lots of times.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Signup for the Roadfood Insider! 2004/01/29 20:02:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Kristi S.

I've never had a problem with PayPal and I've transacted large amounts lots of times.

Ditto.

And I agree with Elise that you're more likely to have your credit card number stolen at a restaurant...

I encourage everyone to sign up for the service; if nothing else but to support the website.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Signup for the Roadfood Insider! 2004/01/29 20:35:12 (permalink)
    Bushie: That is exactly the reason I signed up. I support the web site and I showed it. In addition, I ordered the software even though I had and use Deloreme which has similar features.

What the heck!!! I can always use more software.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    pfarmer241
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Signup for the Roadfood Insider! 2004/01/29 23:03:41 (permalink)
    Just signed up for Roadfood Insider. Am looking forward to using it. Will purchase the Microsoft Streets and Trips.
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Signup for the Roadfood Insider! 2004/01/30 06:56:48 (permalink)
    Is it just me or is there no Microsoft Streets and Trips for Mac? As well, I've noticed that it looks like PC users get to see information about the restaurant when they scroll over the little red flag. Doesn't happen for me, I can click on the map and go to the review, but I can't see before hand what restaurant I will be going to. Not a big deal for the rural places, but in the cities with all the flags bunched so closely together, I often click to the same place instead of moving over that fraction to find out something about the next restaurant. I suspect this is a Mac thing too.

Any advice for Mac users?
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Signup for the Roadfood Insider! 2004/01/30 11:21:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by marberthenad

Is it just me or is there no Microsoft Streets and Trips for Mac? As well, I've noticed that it looks like PC users get to see information about the restaurant when they scroll over the little red flag. Doesn't happen for me, I can click on the map and go to the review, but I can't see before hand what restaurant I will be going to. Not a big deal for the rural places, but in the cities with all the flags bunched so closely together, I often click to the same place instead of moving over that fraction to find out something about the next restaurant. I suspect this is a Mac thing too.

Any advice for Mac users?
    Actually, the rolloverless flag is a browser issue instead of a operating system problem. I think only Internet Explorer supports this and that comprises of 95% of our users (although I have seen an uptick in Macs over the last few months). I will see if I can hack together some type of work-around.

Streets & Trips is currently only for MSFT operating systems.
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Signup for the Roadfood Insider! 2004/01/30 14:38:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by clothier

Stephen, you can keep track of who is on Macs and who's on a PC?

Or can you just tell how many mac vs PC hits you get?
    Yes, Whenever a web page request is made it tells me the browser, operating system, screen resolution etc.

Here are the stats for the operating systems -
    http://awstats.hvsinternational.com/cgi-bin/awstats.pl?config=roadfood.com&framename=mainright&output=osdetail

Here are the stats for the browsers -
    http://awstats.hvsinternational.com/cgi-bin/awstats.pl?config=roadfood.com&framename=mainright&output=browserdetail
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Signup for the Roadfood Insider! 2004/01/30 15:31:11 (permalink)
    I just implemented some roll-overs on the maps so you can see the restaurant name and city in large lettering above the map. This will alleviate squinting. Let me know if this works for the Mac users out there.
    Gypsy Bob
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 51
    RE: Signup for the Roadfood Insider! 2004/01/30 17:20:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Stephen Rushmore Jr.

I just implemented some roll-overs on the maps so you can see the restaurant name and city in large lettering above the map. This will alleviate squinting. Let me know if this works for the Mac users out there.

Stephen, it works just fine on this iMac with an IE5 browser, and is a big help. At first I was looking for the name adjacent to the flag, but then re-read your comment and sure 'nuff, there it is on the top of the page! Many thanks...
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Signup for the Roadfood Insider! 2004/01/30 17:24:16 (permalink)
    Rushmore Jr. I just acquired the mapping software. How does that work with Insider?

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1