Silver Grill - Atlanta - Closing-Now reopened!

Author
Oneiron339
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2075
2006/11/27 07:16:50 (permalink)

Silver Grill - Atlanta - Closing-Now reopened!

The Silver Grill, an Atlanta roadfood mainstay for almost 60 years, is closing on Dec. 22. The meat and three diner, on Monroe Drive, has decided to close. This is a sad day when this happens. I enjoyed many a lunch there.

16 Replies Related Threads

sudie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 236
    RE: Silver Grill - Atlanta - Closing-Now reopened! 2006/11/27 09:18:45 (permalink)
    How very sad...they were a true Roadfood establishment. We visited them many times while visiting my Va. Highlands friends.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Silver Grill - Atlanta - Closing-Now reopened! 2006/11/28 00:07:22 (permalink)
    Very sad news.
    Oneiron339
    RE: Silver Grill - Atlanta - Closing-Now reopened! 2006/11/28 07:11:02 (permalink)
    The Silver Grill, Ma Hull's, Deke's, The Southern Club, Techwood Diner, Harry's Steak House, Silver Skillet.....all are closed except the Silver Skillet. I probably spent enough on lunches at these places over the years to buy one or more of them. Good food and good memories.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Silver Grill - Atlanta - Closing-Now reopened! 2006/12/03 23:37:15 (permalink)
    Oneiron (And Dearfolk),
    I'm back, if only for a few minutes.
    You left out Pilgreen's Steak House on Lee Street, Johnny Reb's on Roosevelt Highway in College Park, Melear's BBQ in Union City, The Waldorf Steak House on Ponce de Leon, Doby's Good Food nearby, and the old Paschall's on M. L. K. and Leb's downtown in your list of decedent restaurants. Oh -- and Mammy's Shanty on Peachtree.
    That was a shocker to me, too, to hear of The Silver Grill's demise. I doubt if I'll be able to make it there before the final pull of the neon. They serve some of the best fried chicken in Atlanta. Y'all go enjoy it for me.
    At least we've still got The Silver Skillet, Bobby & June's Country Kitchen, Thelma's, Louise's, and a handful of others of equal decency, even if not always reknown.
    Now I'll go post another, if only slightly, pertinent closing on another thread at this heading.
    Somewhat Somberly Submitted, Ort. Carlton in Chilly Athens, Georgia.
    Oneiron339
    RE: Silver Grill - Atlanta - Closing-Now reopened! 2006/12/04 07:14:09 (permalink)
    I'm going to try to have one last lunch at the Silver Grill before they close on Dec. 22. COuntry fried steak, creamed corn or blackeye peas and a side salad. rolls, and sweet tea.
    pcdiva
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 591
    RE: Silver Grill - Atlanta - Closing-Now reopened! 2006/12/04 22:48:09 (permalink)
    Is the Pilgreen's in Jonesboro from the same family? I haven't eaten there, but the brother monster said he had the best filet he'd ever tasted there.

It's in a little strip mall on the road that runs along the railroad tracks past the shopping center with BestBuy in it. (Can't remember which highway it is, maybe GA 54)
    Oneiron339
    RE: Silver Grill - Atlanta - Closing-Now reopened! 2006/12/05 07:20:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by pcdiva

Is the Pilgreen's in Jonesboro from the same family? I haven't eaten there, but the brother monster said he had the best filet he'd ever tasted there.

It's in a little strip mall on the road that runs along the railroad tracks past the shopping center with BestBuy in it. (Can't remember which highway it is, maybe GA 54)

Yeah, that's the same family. They also tried a location on I-75 near the airport, but it was in a bad section so it didn't make it. I love Pilgreen's hamburger steak, they shape it just like a T-bone, which is their trademark - "The T-Bone Kings."
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Silver Grill - Atlanta - Closing-Now reopened! 2006/12/05 17:22:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Oneiron339
    quote:
    Originally posted by pcdiva
    It's in a little strip mall on the road that runs along the railroad tracks past the shopping center with BestBuy in it.(Can't remember which highway it is, maybe GA 54)

Yeah, that's the same family. They also tried a location on I-75 near the airport, but it was in a bad section so it didn't make it. I love Pilgreen's hamburger steak, they shape it just like a T-bone, which is their trademark - "The T-Bone Kings."

Dearfolk,
    The place in Lee Street was damaged in a fire as couple of years back. The family still owns the building, but efforts to do anything with it have been thwarted by legalities, such as they hired a construction company to proceed with renovations, but they firm went bankrupt, and now they're reluctantly a part of some long-and-involved class action suit against the contractor.
    That's the ten-cent story as it was related to me. Next time I have time, I'll ride by there and see if any progress has been made.
    Pilgreen's motto remains the same: "Thick steaks for thin wallets." Mr. Pilgreen who started the place in 1932 was a butcher from Pitt County, North Carolina who arrived in depression-era Atlanta, went to work for someone else, and ultimately pulled out to start his own place. His recipe steak sauce is the absolute best I've ever tasted: not sweet, but just right.
    I wish I'd visited the old Lee Street place more often.
    Nostalgically (With Weird Green Fluorescent Lights For Accompaniment), Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
    Oneiron339
    RE: Silver Grill - Atlanta - Closing-Now reopened! 2006/12/18 21:06:54 (permalink)
    Final pictures for the sad closing of the Silver Grill. We had to have one last lunch before they closed on Friday.

The famous sign:

Fried chicken platter:

Hamburger Steak platter:

The pictures don't do it justice, but help us to remember some of the fine lunches over the years.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Silver Grill - Atlanta - Closing-Now reopened! 2006/12/19 19:55:49 (permalink)
    One-Iron,

The food looks great. Sorry to see this one go !
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Silver Grill - Atlanta - Closing-Now reopened! 2006/12/19 20:22:46 (permalink)
    To refresh my memory. This place was downtown, INSIDE the perimeter (probably SP), right? What area (i.e approx. what exit off of I-75, etc.)? Thanks.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Silver Grill - Atlanta - Closing-Now reopened! 2006/12/21 17:46:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator
    To refresh my memory. This place was downtown, INSIDE the perimeter (probably SP), right? What area (i.e approx. what exit off of I-75, etc.)? Thanks.

Adjudicator,
    Right off Ponce de Leon on Monroe Drive. Coming from the south, you'd probably get off at North Avenue, go to Peachtree, turn right on Ponce, then left on Monroe.
    I'm saddened myself because I didn't make it. C'est la guerre.
    Unhungrily, Ort. Carlton in Nearby 30601-land.
    Oneiron339
    RE: Silver Grill - Atlanta - Closing-Now reopened! 2007/11/16 12:29:51 (permalink)
    SIlver Grill is reopening! After about a year's hiatus, new owners have remodeled and reopened. An article in 16 Nov AJC highlights its re-opening. We'll have to check it out and see if it lives up to past glory.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Silver Grill - Atlanta - Closing-Now reopened! 2007/11/16 19:58:17 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Oneiron beat me to the punch! I was going to peck in this evening and let y'all know that, too... you can read the entire story in today's Atlanta Journal-Constitution online.
    Many of the old employees were hired back, so the atmosphere ought to be similar, even if the place has been spiffied up a bit. Here's hoping someone will eat there in the next couple of days so I can read their glowing... or glowering... report Sunday when I can revisit the library.
    Even if the place had managed to go slightly upscale, it's good news that it's back open... and that the owners plan to expand hours to 24 hours as soon as possible. That'll give me another possible stop on my way into Atlanta to sell books.
    Thanks for the tip, Oneiron.
    Worth My Lessening Weight In Silver (Tee Hee), Ort. Carlton in Decently-Warm Athens, Georgia.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Silver Grill - Atlanta - Closing-Now reopened! 2007/12/21 17:36:27 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    On my recent trip to Atlanta, I visited The Silver Midtown Grill (as it is now named) twice. It gets two thumbs up on both occasions (it is with great regret that I inform everyone that I do not possess the requisite four thumbs!). My specific reports will follow after the U. Ga. Library reopens, probably on Thursday, January 4, or maybe the next day or two thereafter.
    Have a Happy Holiday, Merry Christmas, Chappy Channukah, Krazee Kwanzaa, Zestful Zoroaster, Ramshus Ramadan, Terrific Tet, and/or Fabulous Festivus until I manage to return.
    Celebratorially, Ort. Carlton in Hooray For Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. Today is Frank Zappa's birthday, too... as well as the Winter Solstice.
    Hot_Pepper
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Silver Grill - Atlanta - Closing-Now reopened! 2008/07/07 13:05:36 (permalink)
    I've been eating here for 5 years, this place has gone all down hill. First they tried to serve me baked ham that consisted of 1 VERY thin slice of deli meat, and then when i decided to get the fried chicken instead, they gave me a piece about the size of an Oreo. I was so shocked, and they were so uncaring that i left without eating and will never go back.

I think if they can't give the quality or portion sizes that they always have they should call it quits. I love the food, but it is NOT as good as it used to be when the original owners ran it, now the portion sizes are less than you get in a Banquet TV dinner, PULEEZE, poor Peggy, I know she must hate the way this place is being ran, it is SAD !!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1