Sirloin tip roast ideas?

Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5018
2013/03/10 12:04:48 (permalink)

Sirloin tip roast ideas?

My local grocery has whole sirloin tip roasts for $3/lb and average weight is in the 9-10 pound range.  I already have a freezer full of beef but this is still tempting...what can a whole tip roast be used for?  My overwhelmingly preferred method of cooking is grilling/barbecuing, in case that matters.  Thanks!

7 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18342
    Re:Sirloin tip roast ideas? 2013/03/10 12:14:18 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken

My local grocery has whole sirloin tip roasts for $3/lb and average weight is in the 9-10 pound range.  I already have a freezer full of beef but this is still tempting...what can a whole tip roast be used for?  My overwhelmingly preferred method of cooking is grilling/barbecuing, in case that matters.  Thanks!

I've never done a sirloin tip roast, but I found this:

http://www.grillingcompanion.com/sirloin-tip-roast/

Root-Beer Man
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 373
    Re:Sirloin tip roast ideas? 2013/03/10 12:18:21 (permalink)
    I buy them from Sam's Club every now and again and do them in the oven. Just a nice salt and pepper rub. Simple. I see no reason you couldn't do a nice roasting job in your grill, just keep track of the internal temp and don't let it get overdone.
    pnwchef
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2365
    Re:Sirloin tip roast ideas? 2013/03/10 13:49:34 (permalink)
    .......I would suggest a wet age after you get the roast. The wet age is when you keep the roast stay in the Cryovac for about  14 to 21 days, even longer if you like. after aging the meat, pat dry then cut off any fat or meat that doesn't look good, it will smell a bit also.........this will help a lesser cut of meat break down a bit. I hang my Angus sides 26 days, this is a dry aging method that breaks down the tissue............the wet.........P.S. years ago I use to wet age cases of prime rib for 3 to 4 weeks.

Sirloin Tip
    This cut, also called the knuckle, comes from the part of the hindquarter of the steer closest to the tender sirloin, but it actually extends into the round, of which it is a part. Thus, sirloin tips are the most tender of the round cuts. Shaped like a half moon, this lean and quick-cooking cut weighs about eight ounces and delivers good, beefy flavor at a great price.
    Here is a recipe to try Herb-Crusted Sirloin Tip Roast with Creamy Horseradish Chive Sauce
    Cooking Methods
    Cuts from highly-exercised beef portions, such as bottom round and rump roast, respond well to moist heat cooking methods, such as braising. Braising assists in breaking down the connective tissue that contributes to meat's toughness. However, high-quality round roast designated USDA prime or USDA choice 1 facilitates successful dry roasting, whereas all grades of rump roasts require braising for ideal results. The most common method of cooking sirloin roast is roasting. Though roasting gives it the best flavor, overcooking it can make the meat very dry. Hence, the most important thing one should have while cooking this dish is a digital thermometer.
    this info comes from the Blue Goose Market site.
    post edited by pnwchef - 2013/03/10 20:14:40
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2081
    Re:Sirloin tip roast ideas? 2013/03/10 18:30:48 (permalink)
    I would season with salt, pepper, & garlic powder. Then put on a indirect grill with a peace of hardwood (your choice, but I use pecan) & charcoal. Smoke for 1 1/2 to 2 hr; then either warp with foil or put in a covered roaster (my preference) for about another 2 to 3 hrs.   Keep the grill at 190 to 200 degrees.   I take the roast off when the meat temp. is about 160 degrees.   Hold and let rest, the temp will go to 170 degree.    Slice thin and serve.   If you want falling apart BBQ, cook to the internal temp is at least 195 degrees.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Sirloin tip roast ideas? 2013/03/12 12:25:26 (permalink)
    Cut it up for both Stew and Chili, freeze the leftovers in Ziplocks.
    BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1158
    Re:Sirloin tip roast ideas? 2013/03/13 16:03:58 (permalink)
    Growing up, we had it fairly often for Sunday dinner.  My mother would make slits in the roast which she stuffed with slivers of garlic and salt.  While the roast cooked in the oven, she'd make a roux on top of the stove to which she added the drippings later to make a gravy.

kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Sirloin tip roast ideas? 2013/03/13 17:45:31 (permalink)
    BelleReve

Growing up, we had it fairly often for Sunday dinner.  My mother would make slits in the roast which she stuffed with slivers of garlic and salt.  While the roast cooked in the oven, she'd make a roux on top of the stove to which she added the drippings later to make a gravy.

Oh wow, that sounds like my childhood..... wonderful!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1