Sizzle-Lean bacon

Author
frogger67
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 156
2006/09/21 17:26:17 (permalink)

Sizzle-Lean bacon

Is this still made? It was big in the late '70s, as well as another item called "Firebrand" (made by the same company).
It supposedly had less fat but was very good. Maybe it was the beginning of "turkey bacon?"

9 Replies Related Threads

Greyghost
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: Sizzle-Lean bacon 2006/09/21 19:01:07 (permalink)
    I remember the "move over bacon" ad and I do think I had it once. I seem to recall it as horrible mystery meat strips that tasted nothing like bacon. Everything about it failed to make the grade. No bacon texture or mouth feel and a chemical taste with so little eye-appeal, even the dog would not eat it. This very definitely was a fear-food, something created in a factory to take advantage of the consumer's fear of real food.

I do hope you can recover from the nostalgia factor regarding this product. The only cure I know is replacing the nostalgia with new experience that overwhelms the nostalgia. The best cure for "Inferior Bacon Syndrome" I know of can be ordered direct from the doctor:

http://newsomscountryham.com/smokbac.html

Follow the doctor's instructions and get well soon!
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: Sizzle-Lean bacon 2006/09/21 19:13:41 (permalink)
    What was Sizzle-lean made out of? Soybeans perhaps? I think that's how they make Bac-os (triple YUCK!) I remember having Sizzle-lean once as a kid and hating it.

Some of today's turkey-bacon, however is excellent, but you just gotta look for the ones without so much processing. There's some very BAD turkey bacon out there that is just as unhealthy as the pork variety, be careful.

The best I've had is from Diestel Turkey Farms. In fact, all of their products are excellent (but a little hard to find).

http://www.diestelturkey.com/home.htm
    Rt66Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: Sizzle-Lean bacon 2006/09/22 16:43:15 (permalink)
    I remember my mom eating this stuff back in the 80s - it smelled like cooking a tire, and tasted just as good.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10407
    RE: Sizzle-Lean bacon 2006/09/22 23:51:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pigiron

What was Sizzle-lean made out of? Soybeans perhaps? I think that's how they make Bac-os (triple YUCK!) I remember having Sizzle-lean once as a kid and hating it.

Some of today's turkey-bacon, however is excellent, but you just gotta look for the ones without so much processing. There's some very BAD turkey bacon out there that is just as unhealthy as the pork variety, be careful.

The best I've had is from Diestel Turkey Farms. In fact, all of their products are excellent (but a little hard to find).

http://www.diestelturkey.com/home.htm

Out Here in the West (AZ), Their products are sold in Wild Oats Markets.
    TheHotPepper.com
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Sizzle-Lean bacon 2006/09/23 00:07:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Greyghost

I remember the "move over bacon"

Here come's Sizzlean!
    HollyDolly
    • Total Posts : 1077
    RE: Sizzle-Lean bacon 2006/09/25 16:51:29 (permalink)
    I'll have to look in the local stores,but i thought i saw some the other day by the turkey bacon.I'm not sure what's in the stuff.
    mrcharisma1964
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Sizzle-Lean bacon 2006/10/13 03:19:29 (permalink)
    I live in virginia and I'd like to know where I can buy some sizzle lean breakfast strips.Although most folks don't like the taste,but I think that it taste really good.If nothing else, where can I order it from.
    marzsit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 370
    RE: Sizzle-Lean bacon 2006/12/02 08:59:27 (permalink)
    sizzlelean was(is?) made from beef, no soy fillers but it had lots of fake bacon flavoring which was confusing to most people... firebrand was the same product with extra smoke flavoring added, similar to smoke-flavored spam. basically it was made the same way that turkey bacon is made nowadays. i remember that it didn't shrink much when frying, but would get crispy like real bacon, unlike most of the turkey bacon i've tried.... it did make pretty good blt's and was about half the price of real bacon.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3174
    RE: Sizzle-Lean bacon 2006/12/02 09:45:21 (permalink)
    Now you won't find me nostalgic over the taste of Sizzle-Lean but it appears that some of the other posters do. I came across this and post this only for those folks.
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/SizzleLeanBacon/
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1