mixed together

Good American Chinese comfort food

all mixed together

what is this stuff???????????????????

23 Replies Related Threads

Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    Re:Sk bobs chinese restaurant 2009/02/27 21:48:02 (permalink)
    SK - Didn't your chef tell you what that is?

It's Bamboo shoot....It comes in a can and in pieces....they steam it in the can and then it is sliced up across the grain.  Not to a lot of peoples' liking.  It does have a funky taste.  My wife does not like it..Obviously you don't either....

SK - The last time I was in I asked for you.  I said "Can I speak to the owner."  She introduced me to some Chinese guy?  What the heck was that all about?  Did you sell the place?
    post edited by Baah Ben - 2009/02/27 22:09:37
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Sk bobs chinese restaurant 2009/02/28 07:20:41 (permalink)
    Baah Ben

SK - Didn't your chef tell you what that is?

It's Bamboo shoot....It comes in a can and in pieces....they steam it in the can and then it is sliced up across the grain.  Not to a lot of peoples' liking.  It does have a funky taste.  My wife does not like it..Obviously you don't either....

SK - The last time I was in I asked for you.  I said "Can I speak to the owner."  She introduced me to some Chinese guy?  What the heck was that all about?  Did you sell the place?

Try some fresh or frozen bamboo shoots.  The canned ones taste like.... the can.
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Sk bobs chinese restaurant 2009/02/28 08:11:27 (permalink)
    You are absolutely right, but the restaurants use the canned stuff.  Cheaper I'm sure and far more convenient.   

Does the fresh stuff taste anything like say Hearts of Palm? I've had the canned stuff, but also the fresh stuff.  There is a place down your way where you have to take a boat to the restaurant...Lighthouse Point, I believe?  They serve fresh hearts of palm salad..It's a seafood restaurant.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Sk bobs chinese restaurant 2009/02/28 11:35:38 (permalink)
    I haven't had any in ten years.  There's a big Chinese market on Miller Road that carries it fresh.  Yes, I would say that the closest comparison is to heart of palm.

Do you mean Fisher Island off of Miami Beach?
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Sk bobs chinese restaurant 2009/02/28 12:12:22 (permalink)
    MD - No - It's called Cap's Place? Or, something to that effect and it is in Broward I'm pretty sure.  You have to take a boat to get to the restaurant.

I will try to find the exact name.  Cap's Place Island Restaurant, Lighthouse Point, FL....Famous for their Hearts of Palm Salad...I still remember it as being just ok.  It's been at least 20 years..Still in business.  They have a website...

Sorry to change the subject..Getting back to Chinese....Cap's does not serve Chinese...Ok..back on track.  I'm wondering if SK's China Wok will be packed tonight with Bike Week.
    post edited by Baah Ben - 2009/02/28 12:17:02
    priestess
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Sk bobs chinese restaurant 2009/05/30 14:55:55 (permalink)
    Sorry to say that but the whole meal looks quite disguisting to me. Some chinese restaurants sell such junk. Anyway, the chineses food we are offered does not resamble food in china at all.
    What was the tast of the thing? It looks a bit like pickled ginger. But it would be easier to tell by the smell and taste. 
    post edited by priestess - 2009/05/30 15:01:14
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Sk bobs chinese restaurant 2009/05/30 15:22:16 (permalink)
    Canned bamboo shoot..Not my favorite Chinese veggie either...
    sk bob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:Sk bobs chinese restaurant 2009/05/30 21:48:26 (permalink)
    couldn't tell you priestess, if i don't like the look or the consistanse(sp) of it ,i'm not smelling or eating it.
    I happen to like Chinese take out like this.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3151
    Re:Sk bobs chinese restaurant 2009/05/30 21:57:14 (permalink)
    priestess

Sorry to say that but the whole meal looks quite disguisting to me. Some chinese restaurants sell such junk. Anyway, the chineses food we are offered does not resamble food in china at all.
    What was the tast of the thing? It looks a bit like pickled ginger. But it would be easier to tell by the smell and taste.
    In the good ole US of A we get what we want or deserve.  Americans would not support Chinese Chinese food methinks so we get this watered down stuff and it seems to get more monotonous every year - just like with our McDonalds etal.

sk bob
    Re:Sk bobs chinese restaurant 2009/05/30 22:03:49 (permalink)
    you like what you like
    I like what I like
    good or bad thats what makes the world interesting.
    like the arguement about Carrabbas
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3151
    Re:Sk bobs chinese restaurant 2009/05/30 22:11:53 (permalink)
    I have been eating Americanized Chinese food since I was knee-high to a grasshopper.  Over the decades it seems to not have changed much.

Nowadays at Chinese restaurants that have it I get pad thai or Singapore Mai Fun spiced up nicely, if they offer it, and do a good job on it.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8695
    Re:Sk bobs chinese restaurant 2009/05/31 13:15:52 (permalink)
    Looks good to me, Bob.I, too like to mix certain dishes together.
    sk bob
    Re:Sk bobs chinese restaurant 2009/05/31 19:52:21 (permalink)
    I've never eaten a pad or singapore mai fun.
    I'm a beef eater. beef w/broccoli, beef w/ mushrooms, beef
    lo mein, beef fried rice, pepper steak.
    I also like Geneal Taos chicken, orange chicken. s&s chicken.
    NO PORK. the only pork I'll eat is bacon.
    I'd like to try thai, I asked on another thread the difference between between chinese & thai, & nobody responded.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3174
    Re:Sk bobs chinese restaurant 2009/05/31 20:11:49 (permalink)
    Because the Chinese once controlled Thailand, most Thai restaurants offer some Chinese dishes.
    There are a number of differences in Thai vs Chinese but I'd say the major ones find the use of citrusy tasting lemongrass, nampla aka fish sauce in place of soy sauce, galangal instead of or along with its cousin ginger, frequent use of holy basil which has a slight hint of licorice, msg is absent but hot peppers are often used and coconut milk also is common. While tofu is not as prevalent as it is in Chinese dishes, peanuts are.
    kkrhmom
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 70
    Re:Sk bobs chinese restaurant 2009/05/31 20:15:11 (permalink)
    Sk Bob I will be glad to help answer your question.  My children and I love Thai food!!!  It's the only restaurant we can all agree upon.  To my family, Thai food is similar to chinese in that a lot of the same types of ingredients are use, but the most notable difference to me is that the sauces that are used to flavor the dishes are "lighter."  They tend to use more coconut milk as part of some of their soups (Tom Kom Gha?? is outstanding). 

Thai food can have complex flavors as well.  If you like Chinese food I'm sure you will love Thai food.  I recommend starting with Pad Thai, basically their version of chinese lomein (but oh so much better!!!!).  If you like spicy food Thai certainly can deliver, but if you don't want it spicy it's not a problem.  Our local Thai restaurant is outstanding.  We always have to have dessert when we go as well.  Don't leave a Thai restaurant without having some sweet sticky rice with Thai pudding (my youngest has been eating it since he was 18 months old...he is 8 years old now!!!)   I love the black sticky rice.  It has coconut cream on top and tastes sweet and salty at the same time.  Oh...both dishes are warm. 

I hope that helped a little.  Good luck and hope you enjoy trying some Thai!!!
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3174
    Re:Sk bobs chinese restaurant 2009/05/31 20:26:10 (permalink)
    sk bob

I've never eaten a pad or singapore mai fun.......

TV Chef Ming Tsai named this dish after his fathers favorite recipe.
    Pop's Singapore Noodles
    Chinese restaurants in Europe made this noodle dish famous. It was later introduced to the US in the late 1980s. It is a very refreshing dish with fluffy, curried rice noodle mixed with meats and vegetables. Like fortune cookies and chop suey invented in the US but not found in the East, Singapore noodle is not found in Singapore.
    Prep Time: 40 min Inactive Prep Time: hr min Cook Time: 12 min Level: Serves: 4 servings
    Ingredients  
    • 1 pound thin rice noodles, soaked in cold water for 2 hours, and drained
    • 1 pound baby shrimps, without shells, deveined, rinsed and drained
    • 1 skinless chicken breast, 1/4-inch strips
    • 1/4 cup white wine
    • 2 tablespoons thin soy sauce
    • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
    • Canola oil, to cook
    • 1 tablespoon minced ginger
    • 1/2 cup scallions batons, 1-inch lengths
    • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
    • 1/2 pound bean sprout, picked
    • 1 red bell pepper, julienned
    • 1 onion, julienned
    • 2 eggs, lightly scrambled
    • 2 tablespoons Madras curry powder
    • Salt and white pepper to taste

Directions

Marinate shrimp and sliced chicken together in soy sauce, wine, cornstarch and white pepper for 20 minutes. In a hot wok coated well with oil, stir fry ginger, scallions and garlic. Add marinated shrimp and chicken to oil and stir fry quickly for 30 seconds to one minute. Remove shrimp and chicken and set aside. Use same oil to stir fry bean sprouts, peppers and onions. Season and cook for 1 minute and set aside. Wipe out wok and coat well with oil. When oil is smoking hot, add 2 beaten eggs and rotate the pan so as to quickly spread the eggs into a pancake shape. While the egg is still partially fluid, add rice noodles to the wok. Stir and fold noodles and the eggs should be broken up into small pieces and dispersed uniformly. Continue to stir to avoid noodles from sticking to the pan. Add curry powder and check for seasoning. When noodles are steaming hot, add back shrimp, chicken and vegetables to the noodles and continue to mix and stir until everything is steaming hot.
    PLATING Serve family style on an oval platter.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Easy & Authentic Pad Thai Noodles (with Shrimp)

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 12 minutes

Ingredients:

• SERVES 2
    • 8 oz. Thai rice noodles (linguini width), or enough for 2 people
    • 1-2 cups raw (or cooked) shrimp, shells removed
    • 1 shallot (OR 1/4 cup purple onion), finely chopped
    • 4 cloves garlic, minced
    • 1 egg
    • 2-3 cups bean sprouts
    • 1/8 tsp. ground white pepper (OR substitute black pepper)
    • 3 green onions, sliced finely
    • 1/2 cup fresh coriander/cilantro
    • 1/4 cup dry roasted peanuts, ground or chopped
    • 2-3 Tbsp. oil for stir-frying
    • 3 Tbsp. chicken stock
    • wedges of lime for serving
    • PAD THAI SAUCE: (*If making more than 8 oz. noodles, see tip below)
    • 3/4 Tbsp. tamarind paste (available at Asian/Indian food stores)
    • 1/4 cup hot water
    • 2+1/2 Tbsp. fish sauce (available in tall bottles at Asian food stores)
    • 1-3 tsp. chili sauce (to taste)
    • 3 Tbsp. brown sugar

Preparation:

1. Bring a large pot of water to boil, then remove from heat. Dunk in the rice noodles. Soak (do not boil) the noodles until soft enough to eat, but still firm and a little "crunchy". Drain and rinse the noodles thoroughly with cold water. Set aside.
    2. In a small bowl or cup, dissolve the tamarind paste in the hot water. Then add the other sauce ingredients, stirring well. (Add as much or as little chili sauce as you prefer, but don't skimp on the sugar - it is needed to balance out the sourness of the tamarind.) Set aside.
    3. Warm a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 Tbsp. oil, then add the shallots and garlic. Stir-fry 1 minute.
    4. Add the shrimp plus 2-3 Tbsp. chicken stock. Stir-fry 2-3 minutes, or until shrimp are pink and plump. (Note:If using cooked shrimp, only stir-fry 1 minute.)
    5. Push ingredients aside, making room in the center of your wok/pan. Add another 1 Tbsp. oil, then crack in the egg. Stir-fry to scramble (30 seconds to 1 minute).
    6. Add the drained noodles and drizzle over the pad thai sauce. Use 2 utensils and a gentle "tossing" motion to stir-fry everything together (like tossing a salad). Keep the heat between medium and medium-high - you want your pan hot enough to cook the noodles, but not so hot that the bottom of your pan burns.
    7. Stir-fry 4-6 minutes, or until noodles are chewy-delicious and a little bit sticky.
    8. Remove from heat and taste-test, adding more fish sauce until desired taste is achieved (I usually add another 1-2 Tbsp., but I like mine a little salty).
    9. Sprinkle over the green onion, coriander, and peanuts, and garnish with lime wedges (these should be squeezed over before eating). Thai chili sauce can also be served on the side for those who like it extra spicy. ENJOY! Tip: When making more than 8 oz. of noodles, I usually double (or even triple) the pad thai sauce recipe. Then, as I'm stir-frying the noodles, I keep drizzling over the sauce until I'm happy with the taste (I also add extra fish sauce). Any leftover pad thai sauce can be stored in a jar in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.

sk bob
    Re:Sk bobs chinese restaurant 2009/05/31 21:48:28 (permalink)
    thanks a lot. you've really answered some questions for me.
    that recipe sounds great , I do a lot of my own stuff in the wok
    FlaMoe57
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Sk bobs chinese restaurant 2009/06/13 17:39:30 (permalink)
    Hey sk Bob

They just opened a Tai restaurant on the corner of A1A and Granada in Ormond Beach. I have not been there yet , But I have heard  some  rave reviews from people in the area. They only spice it up to your tastes, They don't try to make you sweat on your first visit
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Sk bobs chinese restaurant 2009/06/13 19:31:57 (permalink)
    Two people from Ormond Beach on this site..Impossible.

Heard the Thai place is very good...
    beijinger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 180
    Re:Sk bobs chinese restaurant 2009/06/13 20:26:08 (permalink)
         SK first i thought wow wonder where your restaurant is. lol Then you asked difference between Thai and Chinese my humble opinion is thai is food you might see in Thailand. Chinese food what they give you in US. FYI beef rarely on the menu on authentic Chinese restaurants in China. Chicken. Pork . Tofu , Vegetables the norm with many assorted seafoods. One exception is the mali (hot & numb) beef. Huge bowl bottom chinese lettuce hot soup covered in sliced beef. As to Thai all i know is yummy never been there. 
    kirstine
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 271
    Re:Sk bobs chinese restaurant 2009/06/13 22:00:17 (permalink)
    That looks good to be honest, haven't had a Chinese meal in about 4 months, used to order one every Friday night back home...I'm feeling kinda deprived now.  My favourite was always beef in satay sauce with fried rice and prawn crackers.

I just remembered about the time I went in to order a chinese when I was in Vermont, I ordered chicken fried rice and a portion of fries, the lady looked at me and said "wow that's a weird combination".
    Born in OKC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    Re:Sk bobs chinese restaurant 2009/06/14 10:44:50 (permalink)
    MilFoodLover gave a recipe for pad thai.  Generally I agree but would make three points.

No mention was made of what is sometimes described as preserved or salted radish or preserved or salted turnip in many pad thai recipes.  Admittedly some of them say it is optional, but a tablespoon or so does add a lot to the dish.  IMO absence of this component is a marker that the kitchen has Americanized the recipe for what they assume is the usual taste preference.

Also, the instructions seem to lack anything about how to deal with the bean sprouts.  They should be rinsed and picked over.  The more time you spend trimming "tails" or roots and making certain that there are no husks from the seed beans, the nicer the presentation.  It is true that this is labor intensive.  Mound the cooked noodles mixture on one side of the plate and the prepared bean sprouts on the other.  Let everyone add bean sprouts to taste.  I my self like a lot of bean sprouts and would offer more than three cups to serve two people.  Very often Thai restaurants will skimp on the bean sprouts on the basis of, "you not like that," same as they omit the presrved vegetable noted above and fish sauce on the table.

Finally, I also like a lot of fish sauce, but I'd stick with the basic recipe amount and put a container of sauce on the table, like soy, for individual use.  Many Thai places are surprised that anyone wants more fish sauce (they probably underseason their dishes) and will bring out a mini saucer on request.  That does not reallly do it - you may want more.

Maybe offer a few sliced freshhot peppers on the side also.  Just put them on the edge of the plate with the sprouts.
    sk bob
    Re:Sk bobs chinese restaurant 2009/06/14 11:58:51 (permalink)
    FlaMoe57, glad to see you finally made it.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1